Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Can you get 3" backers to attach to the HF polisher? I know I went from a 6" to 5" for mine, but I don't know that I've searched for smaller.

Edit: like the Meguiar's DBP3 or similar. 3" hook and loop backer plate, then you just need matching 3" pads from Meguiar's, Chemical Guys, or whomever.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Will look into it - I do see some 3” ones on Amazon in the $50 range will read some reviews

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my griots orbital came with 6" backing pad and i bought 3" and 5" adapters and switch as needed.

griots sells adapters for their orbitals so you can use 2" or 3" pads, however you'll still be limited on where you can use such small pads because the body of the tool will still be very close to the pad.

2"
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/2+inch+orbital+backing+plate.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&from=fn

3"
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/3+inch+vented+orbital+backing+plate.do

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My brother has the Griot's dedicated 3" unit. I've borrowed it, and I don't really like it. It is much weaker than the larger unit and the throws are really short. My recommendation would be to get a smaller backing plate and accessories for another polisher.

My then-girlfriend, now-wife bought me a Griot's polisher way back in 2004. I used it here and there and when I got it out to use it again six months ago, the velcro had delaminated from the backing plate. I tried to get a replacement, but that era of Griot's polishers had a proprietary attachment method. I called Griot's. They didn't have the parts I needed, but they offered to swap the entire unit for a brand-new one for nothing more than the price difference between what was paid way back when and the price of a new unit (about $20 iirc). Fantastic customer service. They even turned it around fast.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PBCrunch posted:

My brother has the Griot's dedicated 3" unit. I've borrowed it, and I don't really like it. It is much weaker than the larger unit and the throws are really short. My recommendation would be to get a smaller backing plate and accessories for another polisher.

My then-girlfriend, now-wife bought me a Griot's polisher way back in 2004. I used it here and there and when I got it out to use it again six months ago, the velcro had delaminated from the backing plate. I tried to get a replacement, but that era of Griot's polishers had a proprietary attachment method. I called Griot's. They didn't have the parts I needed, but they offered to swap the entire unit for a brand-new one for nothing more than the price difference between what was paid way back when and the price of a new unit (about $20 iirc). Fantastic customer service. They even turned it around fast.

Yep-just went with a Griots vs the HF model because of this. I’ll likely only use it once or twice a year but if their guarantee holds up then it’s well worth it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
All good info - I am worried the body of the buffer will interfere with getting into small areas. I ordered a stack of 3" pads and backing accessories for around $20 on Amazon so I will at least try that first with my 6" buffer.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the general rule of thumb for PPF? I’ve got a new car coming very soon (RAV4 hybrid) and while it’s not sexy or cool it is brand new so would be nice to keep it looking good.

Was planning a new car detail and ceramic coat anyway but thought PPF on the front bumper and sills would be a good idea?
I bet it'll hold its value regardless of whether you install PPF or not. But if it matters to you, I suggest covering the mirrors, doors and rockers as well

Don't put it off! I waited till 5,000 miles on my new TT (because procrastination) and still regret it :(

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

My car has PPF on the front bumper, front 6" of hood and leading edges of fenders, door edges, and mirror caps: it's pretty clear that this has avoided a lot of rock chips. If I was doing it again, I'd add the A-pillars and leading edge of the roof along with the rest of the hood to cover the other exposed areas.

Door and rocker coverage may be more vehicle dependent. Some sort of small mud flap could help with those areas.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Was just looking for links on the Griots smaller backers that work on the G6. I have some weird curves and spaces which the smaller pad maybe will work on.

Even if I decide at polish time I don’t want to spend the time - for $16 it’s worth it for the option .

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

everdave posted:

Has anyone found a buffer/polisher that is very small? Like 3 inches?

Working with little white Kei trucks it would be very nice to have something to get under and around the windshields and bed sides (they aren't flat). The 6" is too big. I saw a 3" polisher for like $80 at HF but A. that is pricy and B. didn't know if it would burn through the paint

I have a normal size DA and various wise of pads. Is that not an option? I've seen pros use a tiny buffer but dunno if it's really necessary.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have some backers and odd to use on the 6” and also I can use on an assortment of cordless screwdrivers/drills with attachments. Will be very cautious and go slow but I’m hoping I can use these together to buff those really narrow hard to get areas. Some of my drills have wide range of speeds and I can dial it in with the trigger to not risk burning the paint I think

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have 2” pads that I use on right angle die grinders (air and M12) at low speeds for tight areas and it works fine for those edge cases. Also for polishing headlights.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Porter Cable polisher on Amazon looks to have dropped down to $90, good buy at that price or Griots still worth the extra money?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd pay extra, just for the superior warranty and ergonomics

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Stupid newbie questions:

I had my car exterior detailed a few months ago where it was washed and waxed and some scratches were buffed out. Since then I’ve probably washed it 5-6 times by hand-no automatic car wash. I haven’t waxed it.

1) maybe I missed them, but it looks like some scratches have re-appeared if that’s possible?

2) I never noticed them after the detail, but it looks like swirls are starting to show up. I thought this was only caused by automatic car washes?

3) I use one of those microfiber mitts to wash the car. I have not been using two buckets (one with soap, one with clean water) nor have I been using a dirt catcher thing for the bucket. Is it possible I’m introducing the swirls? How can I prevent that? Will using two buckets and a dirt catcher help?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They weren't actually removed, they were filled with product.

This is why high end detail shops will wipe down with an alcohol solution after correction to remove all polishing oils and fillers to ensure that the scratches were corrected in the clear coat and not just filled in with polishing oils.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any recs for ceramic wheel coatings?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I applied Gyeon Rim about a year and a half ago and my wheels still bead water and feel "velvety", even in the barrels.
Brake dust also seems to accumulate slower.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

any recs for ceramic wheel coatings?

I got exhausted trying to sort out what was what and wound up with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Cquartz-Dlux...c+wheel+&sr=8-9

6+ months in and it acts like I just put it on.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is there a go-to glass coating? Rain-X works, but it has to be re-applied pretty frequently, even with using their washer fluid.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aquapel

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just don't buy the aquapel from Amazon (counterfeit)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

I got exhausted trying to sort out what was what and wound up with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Cquartz-Dlux...c+wheel+&sr=8-9

6+ months in and it acts like I just put it on.

this looks pretty decent, are you able to rinse most of the poo poo off the wheels without scrubbing much?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So I just bought a car from 1993 and was wondering: what’s the best product to refresh interior plastic trim, if any?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

nwin posted:

Stupid newbie questions:

I had my car exterior detailed a few months ago where it was washed and waxed and some scratches were buffed out. Since then I’ve probably washed it 5-6 times by hand-no automatic car wash. I haven’t waxed it.

1) maybe I missed them, but it looks like some scratches have re-appeared if that’s possible?

2) I never noticed them after the detail, but it looks like swirls are starting to show up. I thought this was only caused by automatic car washes?

3) I use one of those microfiber mitts to wash the car. I have not been using two buckets (one with soap, one with clean water) nor have I been using a dirt catcher thing for the bucket. Is it possible I’m introducing the swirls? How can I prevent that? Will using two buckets and a dirt catcher help?

Kinda late but,

1: Depending on how deep they are its possible, but I would think if you got paint correct they should have gotten it out, but if its really deep probably not all of it, depends on what you paid for and what they could do.
2: No, any washing/wiping/drying done improperly can accumulate swirls. Also darker the color the more they stand out, sometimes its unavoidable.
3: Oh, yea see above, use 2 buckets at least, try to limit any of the dirty parts of water/mitt from being rubbed back on the car.

Id check out some media and watch some tips on washing and drying to avoid swirls.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

morothar posted:

So I just bought a car from 1993 and was wondering: what’s the best product to refresh interior plastic trim, if any?

Aerospace 303 is my fav interior trim protectant. It lasts about 6 weeks or so and has a matte shine. Your 1993 car (post the car) should clean up pretty good with that

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

303 is real good like everything amorall claims to be.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

this looks pretty decent, are you able to rinse most of the poo poo off the wheels without scrubbing much?

Jet from a hose covers 90%. If I rub on it with a brush with soap any amount it's instantly clean. Probably wouldn't need the brush if I had a pressure washer.

Note: stock low dust pads ATM so ymmv with serious pads.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Aerospace 303 is my fav interior trim protectant. It lasts about 6 weeks or so and has a matte shine. Your 1993 car (post the car) should clean up pretty good with that

Thanks. Ordered the protectant, and added the cleaner.

And yeah, will post the 1993 car once I manage to take some pictures. Also trying to decide if I want to open a project thread for some minor fixes and ongoing work.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

morothar posted:

Thanks. Ordered the protectant, and added the cleaner.

And yeah, will post the 1993 car once I manage to take some pictures. Also trying to decide if I want to open a project thread for some minor fixes and ongoing work.

303 is great. What's the car? Idk if you can go wrong with a project thread in ai.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

303 is great. What's the car? Idk if you can go wrong with a project thread in ai.

That would be a Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&pagenumber=622#post518443497

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PBCrunch posted:

Is there a go-to glass coating? Rain-X works, but it has to be re-applied pretty frequently, even with using their washer fluid.

I e been wanting to try Aquapel.

I have applied both Carpro flyby forte and Gtechniq G1(?) on two cars with brand new windshields.

The Flyby forte failed in less than a month and I wouldn't recommend it.

The Gtechniq still seems to be going strong but it's much more difficult to apply and it seems like they barely give you enough money f the second solution to clean off the haze.

If you can locate a source for a legit seller of Aquapel I would like to try it on our new Model Y since there is way too much glass for me to consider doing a ceramic glass coat myself.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had the Gtech done on my most recent detailing.
Their ceramic coat comes with a ten year warranty when professionally installed.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I haven't found a glass treatment that doesn't streak and/or make your wipers chatter.

I'd love to one day because it makes it much easier to clean and dry.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

morothar posted:

I buy it by the gallon. It's fantastic for 80/90's Japanese interiors and any MMY really.
Their graphene exterior protectant is my current go-to for a low effort, good quality result. I've got it on our daily drivers and at 10 months, it's holding up well. I'll reapply here soon and post updates. For $17, I can't think of a better product for casual detailers like myself.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 13, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MetaJew posted:

If you can locate a source for a legit seller of Aquapel I would like to try it on our new Model Y since there is way too much glass for me to consider doing a ceramic glass coat myself.

After buying fake aquapel (according to the reviews you can tell by the smell, or lack thereof) I just bought some applicators from Aquapel themselves. I did it on a friend's car and even polished her windshield first with a DA polisher, polishing pad, and some glass polish (can't remember which one). She said it made a very noticeable difference, but it still wasn't as dramatic as some of the reviews made it seem. Could have been a problem with my technique too.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Anyone have any experience with the Nu Finish Ceramic spray compared to Meg's HCW? Same price at Wally World so imagine pretty similar.

Typically go Collinite 845 on my car, but need to do a much larger daily driver van with lots of plastic trim so leaning toward a simple spray ceramic to speed things up on that one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the "correct" way to remove a poo poo ton of brake dust? The dust itself is abrasive so I don't want to spread it around with a microfiber, but it also won't really come off without some kind of mechanical action. Soap doesn't really seem to help at all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’d usually just use an iron remover and blast/mitt it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I’d usually just use an iron remover and blast/mitt it off

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Iron-R...aps%2C66&sr=8-5

Something like that?

Edit:

This seems to be better rated but I'm not sure why it's cherry scented?

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Remov...C94&sr=8-5&th=1

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 22, 2021