Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
It makes me furious that these folks are in particular danger because the helped us, and we're doing loving nothing to keep them safe. Even their families are getting targeted and killed. If the problem is we didn't properly document who interpreted for us, and now 10 years later we don't know who we are supposed to rescue, then we need to throw more resources at trying to fix that. Not continue to drop the ball or pass the buck.

Take note any future allies of Canada. Don't bother helping us, because we will gently caress up the endgame and your loved ones might die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Yea, this had me write an email to my MP.

I'm honestly at a loss for words. It's absolutely disgusting.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

They've walked it back a bit, but considering this problem has persisted for years, I am not confident that much will get done without public pressure. So I will probably do what you have—write my MP.

If anyone knows one of those orgs (usually sponsored by veterans) that collects money to try and get these folks home, please don't hesitate to post it here.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Admiral Art McDonald ends without charges

No idea what's supposed to happen here. He voluntarily stepped aside during the CFNIS investigation. Can't imagine he'd be stepping back into the CDS position after all this.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I have so little faith in this investigation

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have so little faith in this organization

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ya, that too

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Wonder how many rounds of golf that took

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

HMCS Calgary is in Auckland. Noticed this:

One quick message to the CO and...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Surprised he didn't just ream you for calling his ship a boat

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Well now it just looks like a fart cloud

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thank you for preserving the honour of the Royal Canadian Navy, oh great bane of generators.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lets all take a moment and appreciate how good our infosec is that a random NZ ferry worker can identify and message a warship's commander.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

Lets all take a moment and appreciate how good our infosec is that a random NZ ferry worker can identify and message a warship's commander.

Look at this goof who's never googled a single DND department or unit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

My Spirit Otter posted:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

lol and we're worried about people plugging in usb drives

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Look at this goof who's never googled a single DND department or unit.

If im not at work, the last thing i want to do is look at work stuff lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

lol and we're worried about people plugging in usb drives

not sure what data exfiltration (usually without release authority), viruses and cracked software have to do with a public-facing website tho

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

not sure what data exfiltration (usually without release authority), viruses and cracked software have to do with a public-facing website tho

Why bother hackin if you can just get everyones names on a public site.

Its not like narco traffickers havent threatened the family members of people working anti-narco ops before.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I remember googling the JTF2 roster and got on the darkweb instantly.

Wild stuff.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One quick message to the CO and...

I've definitely used Facebook to get a hold of deployed folks before, but this is hilarious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Check in on Afghan war vet friends today my dudes

It's a dark loving day.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Not that we couldn't all see this coming but yeah, wow. 20 years undone in what, a month?

I still believe Canada at least went in with some good - yet incredibly naive - intentions. I can only hope those who wish to leave can get out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I absolutely understand the whirlwind of feels going and hope that the lovely "this is the politicians' fault for not giving the military free action" takes are are emotional spillovers and not a lurch towards the populist jingoistic bullshit that gets nations dragged into those places to begin with. A sharp milhist undergrad could have pointed out that lacking a 100-year presence or scorched earth approach, the persistent defensive strategy would win.

Now isn't the right moment to bring it up, but watch out for signs of radicalization down the road on top of everything else if you can. That audience is primed for exploitation by bad faith actors, and I have a feeling this will get dragged into the culture war disinformation ouroboros.

Good luck goons.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

I absolutely understand the whirlwind of feels going and hope that the lovely "this is the politicians' fault for not giving the military free action" takes are are emotional spillovers and not a lurch towards the populist jingoistic bullshit that gets nations dragged into those places to begin with. A sharp milhist undergrad could have pointed out that lacking a 100-year presence or scorched earth approach, the persistent defensive strategy would win.

I can't see how anyone who was in country for more than a few weeks could hold onto the delusion that this mission was going to bring a lasting anything, but then again, I had my eyes open, and I did not bleed there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone who thinks "more military action" would have "fixed" that country is an absolute loving idiot and I will tell them that to their faces

No amount of money would have fixed it either. There just would have been new ways invented to funnel it away from where it was needed.

20 years of blood and treasure flushed down the shitter of history.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:eng99: 20 more years

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't even know how to feel about it at this point. Even when we were there in 2008 the actual Taliban simply peaced out for the winter and left us up against farmers and IEDs. It was clear this was how it was going to be, and already clear that we (or the Afghans) weren't going to "win".

I am no longer in touch with any of my army buddies now after a decade or so, for various reasons. I hope they're doing alright, though I suspect many would be happy just continuing the forever war over there.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

"Are you all set up for PaCE?"

"What?"

"Do you know what PaCE is?"

"Yeah, it's how fast you march."

Edit: not faulting the poor guy but lmao

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 13, 2021

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
what the gently caress is pace?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

SOMEONE clearly didn't do their 18 hours worth of CBTs :smug:

it's ok i didn't either

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you write PERs, then you gotta learn about PaCE this year: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2021/06/caf-rolls-out-modern-competency-evaluation-system.html

There's some mandatory DLN trg that our unit had to have completed, by end Sept? Guess it was funnier for me because we've been hearing about it every day.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If you write PERs, then you gotta learn about PaCE this year: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2021/06/caf-rolls-out-modern-competency-evaluation-system.html

There's some mandatory DLN trg that our unit had to have completed, by end Sept? Guess it was funnier for me because we've been hearing about it every day.

Will this actually change anything? Looks like it's the same poo poo painted a different colour, and also on the cloud Monitor MASS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pretty surreal to hear a superior support the idea that Trump won the election only to handwave any explanation as to why it doesn't make sense.

Then go on to say that he can't vote for who he wants to vote for because that would be throwing your vote away.

Ive heard so many people say they won't vote for who they want because [unsert nebulous voting void here] that we could have a supermajority twice over for the NDP by now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone else I know, in the forces: "I was going to vote PPC but they kept flip-flopping on their firearm policy"

loving yikes. What the gently caress is with CAF members being dogshit?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wis is a dump stat for fighters

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dude all i want to do is be part of a DnD group and this NDWCC poo poo ain't cutting it. We don't even have a loving cleric and the Mental Health and Wellness committee memorized the wrong spells

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Someone else I know, in the forces: "I was going to vote PPC but they kept flip-flopping on their firearm policy"

Oh my god, people were taking their platform seriously at work because they wanna spend more on the military than the conservatives.

This country is hosed.

Edit: so glad those cocksuckers didnt get a seat. Id rather a bq supermajority than the ppc get one seat

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 21, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The CAF can't be trusted with the money it's already given not to buy stupid poo poo and abuse women

It truly is a private's army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The CAF has just as many cranks as civvie street.

I have no idea why we have any anti-vaccine sentiment after all the inoculations you take in basic—if you're not already caught up.