Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MikeKofiA/status/1437669548061249541?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This is the kid-gloves version they do to you if you're an American citizen and you're careful about your physical security. Either of those aren't true and you just end up dead.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1437616310838562824?s=20

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Moto Z series had a Polaroid ZInk printer you just attached to the back of the phone with magnets and the accessory port. It's a lot of fun for parties because you can print instant photos with sticker backs instead of just uploading to social media. I still have the phone and printer plus a bunch of cheap packs of the stickers, if you bought off-brand they came out to 25 cents a picture.

I also still have a couple of actual Polaroid cameras and occasionally buy Impossible Project film because it's fun and I enjoy the nostalgia.
That Mattis quote is just the unsanitized version of the "War is hell, but we have to do it" ones they show on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare loading screens.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

This could be the premise for a great movie done right

Not as good as my brownmoses/partisangirl cia/mukhabarat handler proxy war proxy romance movie idea, but still

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anybody got some context that makes this make any sense at all

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

Not as good as my brownmoses/partisangirl cia/mukhabarat handler proxy war proxy romance movie idea, but still

Oh God. I didn't even think of the meet-cute aspect of this.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

This is definitely more intimate, but the concept isn't new. I remember stories of Vietnam snipers talking about watching a target for hours or days then when they got the order letting the guy finish lunch or something before shooting. Similar vibes here. Just makes everything more stupid.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Bloop posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Donziger

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
or like everything with the deserter in Disco Elysium

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

It's really messy and there's some conflicting reports but as far as I can tell, https://www.thenation.com/article/activism/steven-donziger-chevron/ has full details but tldr: Steven Donzinger helped Ecuadorians successfully sue Chevron for dumping billions of gallons of oil-exposed water across their homelands, so Chevron paid off a corrupt judge to whip up some bullshit charges (bribery, fraud, withholding evidence) and here we are.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Bloop posted:

For context, Donziger won a $9 billion lawsuit against Chevron for their human rights violations in Ecuasor. He was accused of fraud based on the testimony of judge Alberto Guerra, who is being paid $12,000 per month by Chevron for protection. SDNY declined to prosecute, so Donziger was privately prosecuted by Seward & Kissel, a law firm hired by Chevron in 2018.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So a private law firm ran a criminal prosecution?

That's what I didn't understand. What the absolute poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

yeah how does that even work. private citizens can't just file criminal charges against each other this isn't ancient rome

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Rutibex posted:

yeah how does that even work. private citizens can't just file criminal charges against each other this isn't ancient rome

Have you considered being a massive fossil fuel corporation?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Bloop posted:

bag em and tag em posted:

Have you considered being a massive fossil fuel corporation?

The judge was chevron affiliated too iirc.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
He's being accused of racketeering, and part of that he was asked ot hand over a lot of personal stuff for discovery. He appealed that decision and refused to hand over the personal stuff while the appeal was runnign for obvious reasons. As a result, the judge in charge of that case, started contempt proceedings against him. Normally that's supposed to go into the NY courts docket queue to be picked up by a random judge, but he piped it directly to another chevron-affiliated judge to run. That judge refused to allow him a jury. He's been detained under house arrest for 3 years awaiting trial for a contempt charge that carries a maximum sentence of 6 months.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

He's being accused of racketeering, and part of that he was asked ot hand over a lot of personal stuff for discovery. He appealed that decision and refused to hand over the personal stuff while the appeal was runnign for obvious reasons. As a result, the judge in charge of that case, started contempt proceedings against him. Normally that's supposed to go into the NY courts docket queue to be picked up by a random judge, but he piped it directly to another chevron-affiliated judge to run. That judge refused to allow him a jury. He's been detained under house arrest for 3 years awaiting trial for a contempt charge that carries a maximum sentence of 6 months.

That sucks poo poo but at least it makes sense in a "I can see how this can technically happen" kind of way

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Rutibex posted:

private prosecution is still on the books in a few states and Canadian provinces I think but it’s basically never used

e: note that private citizens filing indictments that get approved, and judges appointing private prosecutors when the DA says no thanks are both separate extremely rare things that probably haven’t both happened together in a common law jurisdiction in like a century

ee: oh yeah it’s only the latter here oops

eSports Chaebol has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Sep 14, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rutibex posted:

the judge apparently has the power to order a private firm to be hired to prosecute a case. who knew

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Chevron accused the plaintiff's attorney of bribing an Ecuadorian judge and in order to substantiate their allegations they paid to help immigrate a judge who was allegedly part of the scheme into the United States and paid him $12,000/month to aid their case. So basically they legally bribed a judge to say that he'd been illegally bribed. Also that judge later admitted he lied about a ton of stuff.

It's the sort of story that will elicit the usual "doesn't look like anything to me" response from liberals who strongly believe that American law protects the rights of all citizens.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Sep 14, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

maybe he should have just handed over the personal stuff then :smuggo: (such as his laptop (which had personal information about his clients, particularly the ones that he had worked with for the initial settlement (which would have been a break of attorney-client confidentiality(which could have led to him losing his license and possibly getting sued himself(which is a major reason why he refused to hand it over in the first place)))))

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dreylad posted:

the judge apparently has the power to order a private firm to be hired to prosecute a case. who knew

they almost certainly picked a judge they knew would.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they almost certainly picked a judge they knew would.

quote:

According to The Intercept, Kaplan has written favorably about Chevron and "bypassed the standard random assignment process and handpicked someone he knew well, U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska, to oversee the case being prosecuted by the firm he chose."

There's nothing almost about this

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CodfishCartographer posted:

maybe he should have just handed over the personal stuff then :smuggo: (such as his laptop (which had personal information about his clients, particularly the ones that he had worked with for the initial settlement (which would have been a break of attorney-client confidentiality(which could have led to him losing his license and possibly getting sued himself(which is a major reason why he refused to hand it over in the first place)))))

Hand over a brand new laptop from walmart.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Hand over a brand new laptop from walmart.

Contempt of Court

Go directly to JAIL. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah the whole case is so rigged and the law supports it. that guy is hosed

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Dreylad posted:

The law doesn’t even support it but they managed to put him in a purgatory where the only people in charge of ensuring the law is followed are the hand picked stooges (who are in turn the sole arbiters of whether or not they are hand picked stooges). America has a hard on for independence of the judiciary because being “non-political” means they side with capital even if somehow leftist politicians get elected. but it also means a show trial like this is even more of an obvious sham than poo poo like locking up Navalny

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

complying with a court order wouldn't have led to him losing his license, but it would have led to everyone who played any role in the ecuadoran case being tracked down and murdered by chevron

The Oldest Man posted:

This is the kid-gloves version they do to you if you're an American citizen and you're careful about your physical security. Either of those aren't true and you just end up dead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

and i'm sure his clients would have been assassinated too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eSports Chaebol posted:

The law doesn’t even support it but they managed to put him in a purgatory where the only people in charge of ensuring the law is followed are the hand picked stooges (who are in turn the sole arbiters of whether or not they are hand picked stooges). America has a hard on for independence of the judiciary because being “non-political” means they side with capital even if somehow leftist politicians get elected. but it also means a show trial like this is even more of an obvious sham than poo poo like locking up Navalny

he should just take bolt cutters to the ankle bracelet and go to jail for 6 months

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

he should just take bolt cutters to the ankle bracelet and go to jail for 6 months

They'll pack on a ton of extra charges, deem him a flight risk and put him in jail indefinitely in place of house arrest, seize all his assets, etc. Or just kill him in prison.

There's no "one weird trick" to make this better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

There are several available to Biden or Garland.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

eSports Chaebol posted:

they did this poo poo with jack ryan in the first episode right? drone operator just put dollar bills on the wall of kills he won in a bet so I guess it's not really as elaborate so true

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

i'd flee to canada and ditch my identity. unless capitalism ends or something i dont think that oil company is going to leave him alone for the rest of his life

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i'd flee to canada and ditch my identity. unless capitalism ends or something i dont think that oil company is going to leave him alone for the rest of his life

Lol, they won't. But if you run and ditch your american identity, they can just kill you.

Plus the guy has a family. They'll be totally hosed if their dad runs for it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

hobbesmaster posted:

There are several available to Biden or Garland.

Dnd is that way friend 👍

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Sad enough to drive a man to suicide.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol, they won't. But if you run and ditch your american identity, they can just kill you.

Plus the guy has a family. They'll be totally hosed if their dad runs for it.

well uhh

look on the bright side?

the last 18 months of house arrest has probably been good for avoiding covid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/tolstoybb/status/1437877351564537857