Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in my experience rattle can primer has a bit more “bite” than brush-on or airbrushed primer. particularly useful for metal minis, where paint just loving loves to slough off if you so much as breathe on a sharp edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fingat posted:

Xpost:

Finished the Chaplain from the Patrol Box to work off the rust from a couple months off. Came out a bit more grim dark than I intended. I recently changed to ushabti bone for scrolls/seals etc, and its coming out way too dark after a wash. Even if I water it down. The text I did is barely legible. Ill have to work on the mix next time.

Dude looks dope.

For my tastes I usually highlight back up after a wash. So touching it back up with Ushbati Bone and/or a small Screaming Skull highlight would make it pop more.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

You should probably wash it in warm soapy water, then rinse it in cold water before you prime it. Metal minis often have a lot more release agent on them, and that'll make your paint fall off.
Painting metal isn't any different, but a varnishing when you're finished is a really good idea, so the paint doesn't chip off.

Nah, you're thinking of resin. Metal minis don't tend to have release on them. I'd recommend brush-on primer instead of spray-on so you can touch up the primer easily should you rub some off. Once the primer's covered in paint it's actually not much more chip-prone than plastic models.

Source: I probably paint more pewter models than most ppl ITT

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Got some more of my Plague Guard painted, this time some heavy weapon teams and sergeants.

Trying some more dynamic poses with these guys.

I really like this guy winding up for a big hit with the power fist.

Heavy Weapon teams.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ignite Memories posted:

Nah, you're thinking of resin. Metal minis don't tend to have release on them. I'd recommend brush-on primer instead of spray-on so you can touch up the primer easily should you rub some off. Once the primer's covered in paint it's actually not much more chip-prone than plastic models.

Source: I probably paint more pewter models than most ppl ITT

Metal miniature molds definitely have release. And you should wash all your miniatures anyway cause you got you gross goon mitts all over them while removing mold lines.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ignite Memories posted:

Is spray-can primer at least suffiicient? I'm trying to minimize costs until I have some successes to show the ol' Domestic Associate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CitizenKeen posted:

Is spray-can primer at least suffiicient? I'm trying to minimize costs until I have some successes to show the ol' Domestic Associate.

Spray can primer is absolutely fine for metal minis.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

My entire spacewolves army is a mix of metal and early plastics and I can assure you that rattle can primer is fine. I have found that paint does chip off of metal a bit more easily, I suspect the spray primer has solvents that very slightly chemically bond with plastic, just be aware that if you plan on handling the miniature alot, like if you are using it in a warhammer army, you may want to give an extra coat of varnish, but give the first coat ample time to cure.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Chickened out on the eyes and made them boring. Still working on my highlighting and transitions too.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 14, 2021

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Edit:^^^that's a good toitle

CitizenKeen posted:

It worked for the 50+ years that metal minis were the norm, so yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

Chickened out on the eyes and made them boring. Still working on my highlighting and transitions too.

As far as turtles go, this is an amazing turtle.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

THAS A BIG TORTLE!

Also, hooray I completed two more Deathwatch Intercessors. :woop:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

One of the best things in Reaper's store.

Yours is much better looking than mine!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Trying to get into Infinity. I repainted a couple minis prior to this, but this is the first I'd consider "done" of the bunch. Just following the box art.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

I love that turtle mount and now I want my own. :)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it's a tortoise :argh:

I really like the model, even if it has some unfortunate seems across the face.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's wild how much better all the other Stormcast schemes are than the poster one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

it's a tortoise :argh:

I really like the model, even if it has some unfortunate seems across the face.

All tortoises are turtles but not all turtles are tortoises! :eng101:

But your tortoise looks beautiful, seams included. I know how rough it is to get seams off of bonesium.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
xpost from the 40k thread. Finished my first whole army.

superh posted:

I finished my Destroyer Lord:

And with that, I've got 1000 points, theoretically ready to go:

(No idea if this list is any good at all, and still haven't played a game, haha)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Baby's first bases. Going for a desert scheme for my Kabalite Warriors. The crackle medium didn't really pan out, but I think I got a pretty good dusty effect anyway. Still have to add a couple spots of sand and dried grass, but I'm liking the way they're turning out so far!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looks good but make sure you got enough room for their feetses. Their stances are really flat but you can get them some dynamic Posing On Rocks if you grab the bottom halves of the various clinger-ons Wyches on the Venom and Raider kits since they aren't actually required (but look cool).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm not stoked on the bases and will probably rebase, but I wondered how fast I could paint up a custodes kill team in a very shiny metallic. Well, I didn't have time for the sergeant but basically an hour a model. Could have been faster but I went for actually placing highlights rather than drybrushing randomly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chip McFuck posted:

Baby's first bases. Going for a desert scheme for my Kabalite Warriors. The crackle medium didn't really pan out, but I think I got a pretty good dusty effect anyway. Still have to add a couple spots of sand and dried grass, but I'm liking the way they're turning out so far!

These are excellent. Nice work!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Working on my croissant 🥐

Using the Greenstuff worlds Borealis Paint to get a nice green shine/glow.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished another Infinity model.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

looks great!

How are you doing those bases?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

They're just Vallejo ground texture grey sand. I zenithal the whole model with flesh tint ink, and coated the base with patches of gryph-hound orange and skeleton horde. I glued a tuft on, and then used 3 different colored pigment powders in patches on the base and tuft. For pigment powders I just use pastels and rub them on a piece of sand paper.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Eej posted:

Looks good but make sure you got enough room for their feetses. Their stances are really flat but you can get them some dynamic Posing On Rocks if you grab the bottom halves of the various clinger-ons Wyches on the Venom and Raider kits since they aren't actually required (but look cool).

BULBASAUR posted:

These are excellent. Nice work!

Thanks! Don't worry, I checked the placement of the rocks and skulls before gluing them down so there is plenty of room for the models to stand. Now to move onto the Warriors and come up with a cool color scheme for them...

Verisimilidude posted:

This is awesome! I love the dusty redness of the base.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not stoked on the bases and will probably rebase, but I wondered how fast I could paint up a custodes kill team in a very shiny metallic. Well, I didn't have time for the sergeant but basically an hour a model. Could have been faster but I went for actually placing highlights rather than drybrushing randomly.

For an almost completely metallic model, those look incredible. In one hour I'd barely have one basecoat on, let alone have finished a figure. They look like suits that were polished and looked after, and not "painted", if that makes sense.

The bases don't look great though. If that stuff on top was just a mm thick on the plastic base, rather than a chunky slice, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. But bases have a traditional thickness, and these being double that... well, the brain just rebels. That could just be me. I can deal with square bases, round bases, hexagonal, moulded on, curving sloped edges, clear acrylic disc bases, but double height? That's where this old man starts shouting at clouds.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

It's a slow work day today so I had time to finish the last of my basic infantry for Infinity.

I'm painting mostly with transparent paints, with a few opaque paints thrown in for highlights.

edit: new, better photo added.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 16, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Parkingtigers posted:

For an almost completely metallic model, those look incredible. In one hour I'd barely have one basecoat on, let alone have finished a figure. They look like suits that were polished and looked after, and not "painted", if that makes sense.

The bases don't look great though. If that stuff on top was just a mm thick on the plastic base, rather than a chunky slice, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. But bases have a traditional thickness, and these being double that... well, the brain just rebels. That could just be me. I can deal with square bases, round bases, hexagonal, moulded on, curving sloped edges, clear acrylic disc bases, but double height? That's where this old man starts shouting at clouds.

Thanks lol. I got the idea from my siegmeyer of catarina model that was testing out VMC colors.

Yeah that's what's bothering me with that. I'm going to rebase them. Now to figure out something with what I have on hand. Hmm. Maybe do the same thing as the base on siegmeyer and go for some flowers.

Edit:

Ok what about this?

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 16, 2021

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Back in April I posted my first couple of Angry Space Men, I finished painting the whole squad last month and I finally got around to taking pictures tonight!

(All I can see is the undrilled gun barrel on the right :negative: )

I did the Sergeant last. I can feel myself slowly improving compared to the first two minis I painted, but I still manage to find new and exciting ways to mess things up. The eyes were such a giant pain, I think I'll start obscuring them like some of you guys do.

Also, Space Marines look cool but holy poo poo they take forever to paint. I had to take a break (around the time I started to mess with the face) to do some Necron warriors, and in contrast, it is so much easier and faster to paint those Angry Robot Men and make them look cool.

And now I've just started basecoating the Primaris Captain from Indomitus that came in the starter set I have, I'm going to regret this aren't I :v:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Had some extra time so I painted another one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Totally in love with those red sand bases.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Totally in love with those red sand bases.

Thanks! Here's one more for tonight.

Really happy with how these are coming along. They're relatively easy and fun to paint, though the next 5 models in the kit get a little trickier and bigger.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Verisimilidude posted:

Had some extra time so I painted another one.

For a brief moment, I thought this was a unit card for an old RTS. Love it!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here we go. All done. Not the best, but hey I got a new kill team to play. Also did a little testing of contrasts over metals, which is a fun effect.

Here's the sergeant which needed a tiniest bit of extra effort due to the cape.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

It's a slow work day today so I had time to finish the last of my basic infantry for Infinity.

I'm painting mostly with transparent paints, with a few opaque paints thrown in for highlights.

edit: new, better photo added.

These are all really great

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished this one before work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished this one before work today.

I can't believe how quickly you're hammering these out at this quality. Love them.