Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It reminds me that during the early days of the pandemic you had a lot of celebrities posting messages from their big estates on how tough lockdown was.

It didn’t go particularly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

CharlestheHammer posted:

It reminds me that during the early days of the pandemic you had a lot of celebrities posting messages from their big estates on how tough lockdown was.

It didn’t go particularly well

idk, bo burnham won an emmy :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume Bo was trying to be funny these messages were not

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Liam Neeson one at least was obviously supposed to be "this thing I did was terrible, monstrous, inexcusable, and speaks to the darkness each of us doesn't want to admit they have inside of them."

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Yeah, I had to look it up and it looked like he was trying to be very clear that it was an awful thing to do and that he was retroactively horrified with his actions. I mean, I judge him for it but it doesn't seem to be on the same level of bad as if he had been doing some straight fascism hate crimes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can't help but wonder if there's some kind of mythologizing going on there too though. Like maybe he was stomping around angry in the streets for a few days but over the decades has retroactively built it up into an exaggerated version where he's specifically out to do a revenge killing and just somehow miraculously never encountered a black person until he'd cooled down.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

christmas boots posted:

just somehow miraculously never encountered a black person until he'd cooled down.

I mean it was 70s Northern Ireland.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it wouldn't be all that surprising even now outside of big cities, it's hella white over here.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

idk, bo burnham won an emmy :shrug:

his thing was pretty good tho

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I really think the writer of FOOB had some PPD. But no one talked about it, and women were expected to become mothers. Add to that the not wanting to be a mom but feeling like you had to, and dealing with being a single parent: I will never condone what she did, but I can understand how utterly frustrated she must have been. gently caress, my dad kicked my mom and three month old Cowslips out of the house because (1) I had colic for the next year and (2) his girlfriend on the side needed a place to stay for a few months. The only reason my mom probably didn't snap is because his mom/my grandma took us in for a month or two, and then told my dad he had to take us back and "be a man."

Of course over the years, instead of realizing what poo poo happened, FOOB lady just pretended everything was fine, and would be better if she created the world where everything was okay.

Also things from FOOB: the oldest daughter suffers an attempted rape at her work, but is rescued by Anthony, a loving smuck who, after chasing the rapist away, begs her to wait for him because he loves her. The obviously surprised girl Elizabeth tells him she's not a homewrecker, because he is loving married, but he wails that he has no home, and the story then is not about her dealing with the attack, but how Poor Anthony got married to a Career Bitch (a ballerina iirc), and he convinced her to have a baby and he'd take care of the baby and she'd never have to be a mom...and was amazed when that is precisely what happened. And then his wife, who he forced to have a baby, had an affair, was still a Career Woman, and ended up divorcing Anthony because he was always around Elizabeth and being weird about her.

Oh, and Anthony proposes later to Elizabeth with a "well I guess we can get married now."

The big thing about FOOB is that the mom is perfect in all the right ways, and no one appreciates her, and she loathes her family but only because they don't appreciate her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Footrot Flats was mostly always cool and good and wholesome.

Murray Ball, (the creator), however turned into a horrible old man raging against feminism, and wrote a book called The Sisterhood, where the all the jokes are "Hey look! there are young women with short hair. They are probably lesbians and are taking away all of the rights of men. The only reason they aren't laughing is because they are humourless bitches."

Thanks for the clarification.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
All this comic book stuff feels like it was ripped straight from a random page of the GBS Boomer thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are few industries as full of boomers as established newspaper cartoonists

it's a blessing new nancy is as good as it is

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I remember years ago reading the accounts of webcomic authors Scott Kurtz and Chris Straub of the newspaper comic symposium they were invited to. Every one of the established artists resented their presence and had absolutely no clue how the internet even worked let one how they were putting comics on there. Many refused to recognize them as comic artists, as they made their money mostly from advertising on their website and merch sales, and not directly from their art. After the event the Non-Sequitur guy published a comic making fun of them; it was pathetic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's another good one:

Brooke McEldowney posted:

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED

The following is the text (emended for improvements in prose) that I provided as an explanation for the removal of the Pibgorn comics board:

"The excision of the comments board from Pib occurred in deference to a request I have been reiterating for over a year, one to which Gocomics was very hesitant to acquiesce. However, they finally consented (following a similar move made by comics.com also at my insistence). I was aware that it might be taken ill, but for a long time I have had feelings about the way in which my work should be presented – somewhat old-fashioned feelings, rising from the world of newspapers in the past in which a cartoon or any other feature was printed on its own – attributable commentary, pro or con, provided elsewhere. When the internet began to forge a new way of presenting features, as part of a rowdy parliament of voices ("9 Chickweed Lane" and the loyal, anonymous opposition) not by itself, the whole profession changed for me, and I never got used to it.

"When the going was good, I suppose I minded not so much as I did when I found myself and my work (and they are not separable) being trashed. I wearied of having to police a site where the nameless could log on and say the things that people sometimes revel in saying. I wanted to present my work without a blow-by-blow commentary as a natural concomitant to what I do, pleasing or displeasing. Mine is an antiquated view, but I find I cannot shake off the conviction that it is the view for me. The Pibgorn site, after all, is my home, where I work and serve up my daily confections. I just prefer to occupy my home solitarily.

"What I've done, I think, oughtn't to be taken personally. That notwithstanding, I require the change, and I'm pleased Gocomics was willing to consent to it."

=============================================

I wrote this as an answer to a question in my e-mail. I have edited it lightly for style, and pass it on to you here:

"When I began syndication, in 1993, there was no such thing as presentation of a strip online in the present manner (at least, none I knew of). When my syndicate began doing it, they selected five strips as a trial, among which were "Peanuts," "Rose Is Rose," "Dilbert" and "9 Chickweed Lane." They just showed up on a site, just as they showed up in the newspaper. There was no commentary, except in an editorial section, from people whose real names accompanied.

"Years later, I found myself reading comments directly beneath my work, sometimes in vast numbers, votes included, all writers posting in anonymity. I also started to read libels, sometimes threats, trashing and praise. None of this was subjected to editorial overview (which, nevertheless, governs every detail of every comic offered by a syndicate). And I was offered no choice in how my work was presented. It was not offered on its own, but with an umbilical link to a supreme soviet of anonymous commentary.

"I began to demand that the comments be subject to scrutiny – as well as deletion when they were unfit for publication - in the manner of newspapers and op ed columns. My syndicate did not want to do it. I pointed out that they, as a corporation, ran the risk of being party to libel if they did not. They were not concerned.

"So, I objected and objected and objected as time went on and the tenor of posts became subject more and more to abuse. I wanted my work to appear as it did in the beginning, alone, without a raging public forum affixed to it. It was like looking at a work of art with the walls about it scrawled densely with graffiti.

"I object to it. It is wrong."

His comments sections, it's worth pointing out, were almost entirely fawning praise from fans who referred to him consistently as "Honourable Master".

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I can't help but wonder if there's some kind of mythologizing going on there too though. Like maybe he was stomping around angry in the streets for a few days but over the decades has retroactively built it up into an exaggerated version where he's specifically out to do a revenge killing and just somehow miraculously never encountered a black person until he'd cooled down.

Liam Neeson is from Ballymena. You're unlikely to meet a black person there walking around at night even now, let alone 40 years ago or whatever. It's an extremely white town and was even more so back then before the end of The Troubles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

Here's another good one:

His comments sections, it's worth pointing out, were almost entirely fawning praise from fans who referred to him consistently as "Honourable Master".

He never knew how well he really fit in.

The Powerup Comics guy is right, and it's really wild how webcomics are such a contrast from how utterly ossified both comic books and strips have become.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tiggum posted:

Here's another good one:

Brooke McEldowney sounds exactly like you'd expect him to.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s weird how sanctimonious that guy sounds when he could have just said “I don’t like comment sections, they’re largely trash” and we all would have agreed

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

What's FOOB?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The comic strip For Better Or For Worse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s weird how sanctimonious that guy sounds when he could have just said “I don’t like comment sections, they’re largely trash” and we all would have agreed

Tell me you’ve never read 9 chickweed lane/Pibgorn without telling me you’ve never read 9 chickweed lane/pibgorn

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gaunab posted:

What's FOOB?

It’s a nickname for For Better Or For Worse. In the strip, “foob” is made up teen slang meaning “idiot” (apparently it’s a mix between “fool” and “boob”). Then someone noticed that FOOB in all caps kind of looks like the title’s actual acronym FBOFW and it stuck in some circles.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just watched Bordello of Blood and holy poo poo it is terrible, and I fuckin hate Dennis Miller. If I knew that pseudo intellectual dickcheese was the lead, I never would have watched it. I was lured in by the timeless classic Demon Knight.

Dennis Miller is like what would happen if Jerry Seinfeld continued his journey up his own rear end so far he shat himself out of his own mouth.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just googled 9 chickweed lane and seeing it for the first time, this dude is horny as hell

e: the author, not me

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

hawowanlawow posted:

I just watched Bordello of Blood and holy poo poo it is terrible, and I fuckin hate Dennis Miller. If I knew that pseudo intellectual dickcheese was the lead, I never would have watched it. I was lured in by the timeless classic Demon Knight.

Dennis Miller is like what would happen if Jerry Seinfeld continued his journey up his own rear end so far he shat himself out of his own mouth.

This is an objectively correct opinion, however
It's interesting how Bordello of Blood bucked trends by becoming worse the shittier Dennis Miller got after it's release, even to people who have never heard of Dennis Miller.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Silly Newbie posted:

This is an objectively correct opinion, however
It's interesting how Bordello of Blood bucked trends by becoming worse the shittier Dennis Miller got after it's release, even to people who have never heard of Dennis Miller.

Nah, I saw it in the theatre when it first came out and even being really amped for it after loving Demon Knight I could tell it was maximum lovely even as I was watching it. If anything Dennis Miller going mask-off later on kind of made me go “Yeah, that tracks.”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't Bordello of Blood a Tales From The Crypt movie? I thought those were deliberately bad in the first place.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean…they’re hammy by design. Demon Knight sat right in that sweet spot of schlocky, funny, charming, and genuinely gross/scary. Bordello of Blood felt plodding, joyless, and gross in a different, bad way. Even as a horny teenager I walked away from that movie feeling squicked out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

At the time I think there was going to be a third Tales from the Crypt movie. I am still a little sad it didn't happen.

Because campy horror shlock is generally a good time, and I was given that the first film had demons/zombies and an awesomely scenery chewing Billy Zane, the second had sexy vampires in a whorehouse, I was hoping for werewolves in the third.

Seriously, Billy Zane is very charming/entertaining in Demon Knight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like everyone is great and charming in Demon Knight. William Saddler is an absolute gem who I think is absolutely wasted by constantly being cast as laconic hardasses. His turn as Death in Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey is amazing to this day.

They Melvined me.

EDIT: Although, to bring this back around to the thread topic, I watched Bogus Journey the other weekend and was a little disappointed to be reminded just how ubiquitous anti-gay slurs were in just about everything back then.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He did a decent comedic turn in Rocket Man. Not the Elton John biopic, the 97 astronauts to Mars movie. It's goofy fun, but I haven't seen it in years, so I can't say how it's held up. Plus I was pretty stoned whenever I watched it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

His nude scene is Die Hard 2 is a classic

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Because campy horror shlock is generally a good time, and I was given that the first film had demons/zombies and an awesomely scenery chewing Billy Zane, the second had sexy vampires in a whorehouse, I was hoping for werewolves in the third.

And instead we got a lovely Serpent and the Rainbiw fanfic for the third one.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Although, to bring this back around to the thread topic, I watched Bogus Journey the other weekend and was a little disappointed to be reminded just how ubiquitous anti-gay slurs were in just about everything back then.

very same. though alex winters expressed regret about it too at least

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He never knew how well he really fit in.

The Powerup Comics guy is right, and it's really wild how webcomics are such a contrast from how utterly ossified both comic books and strips have become.

I know Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) talks in some of his early anthologies just how much trouble it was doing certain jokes (I think one was a fairly milquetoast one about Billy from Family Circus, or like a Little Billy Age 8 comic or someshit) and how very hard it is to get a new comic into the comic pages, because everyone wants Dilbert, FOOB, Family Circus, Beetle Baily, and if it's a particularly progressive comic space, maybe Doonsbury.

IIRC it was a huge issue a few years ago (maybe early 2000s?) when Zits did a joke that involved the word "Sucks", to the point that they had to offer an alternative version of the comic for papers that would refuse to run the "Sucks" version.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And instead we got a lovely Serpent and the Rainbiw fanfic for the third one.

There was a third one?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/tmbg13/status/1439599509080842246

https://twitter.com/tmbg13/status/1439654607165214723

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02UQsOq-JLQ&t=443s (443 seconds in)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Volcott posted:

No one can force you to watch Cleopatra 2525, but there are probably some Bruce Campbell-centric social groups where you may be obligated to watch Jack o' All Trades.

my god, that was a terrible show. took everything that was annoying about hercules/xena and ramped it up to 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silly Newbie posted:

There was a third one?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250698/

Technically, the movie bombed so hard at the theaters the studio added Cryptkeeper interstitials to try and get name recognition. The original crypt keeper puppet was long gone so making one for 100 bucks that could barley move.