Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I guess compared to the typical story of "Parents literally bought me a fully built house which I immediately rented out while also living at home for free" it's not so bad.

That said, that dude is like one lawsuit away from bankruptcy if it turns out his shoddy DIY repairs (and presumably electrical work) end up hurting someone, or himself.

His whole "success story" was predicated in cutting corners everywhere and rolling a hard 6 every time.

Also, unless I misread the article he's extrapolating his one (1) successful reno (and lucking into an extremely appreciating property market due to COVID) into 10more before he's 30 years old, which lol.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
It doesn't mention if his parents are acting as guarantors so I'm going to assume they are.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
On a related note, father-in-law rented a cabin and this game came with it. Gonna learn all about real wealth.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Just borrow a shitload of money and invest in real estate. SO SIMPLE!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

Just borrow a shitload of money and invest in real estate. SO SIMPLE!

Excuse me, I think you meant crypto. So outdated to say real estate.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I'm 26 and currently investing 45% of my monthly income to buy land, rather than enjoying my earnings. Am I doing this right?

I'm 26 (male, unmarried) with 3 sisters. I accept that I'm very thrifty with money, atleast I think that people believe me to me. I have very little to no financial responsibilities. So I'm currently investing 45% of my monthly income to buy land. 25% goes to my expenditures and rest 30% is spent as demand arises. In a nut shell, at the end of the day, I'm left with very little to no money to enjoy my earnings. Just needed an unbiased opinion on my strategy. I mean, I could spend that 45% of my income (which is almost half, and is alot for me) I could enjoy the month really well. I've been investing in this land for more than a year now, which is a very good area and will definitely provide a good return in 5-7 years time. But investing like this, for almost 1.5 years now, I'm getting tired and having second thoughts. The land will be mine after another 1.5 years now but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I should quit investing and start enjoying my income? What are your thoughts on this? I know some of you will say investment is definitely good and all, but at this age doesn't it mean a little overkill. I mean, I still have my whole life ahead of me. Maybe I could start investing at some later stage in my life? What are you thoughts?

op posted posted:

I planned on investing my money, so settled on investing in land after alot of research. Where could I have done any better investment?

Well, maybe he invested in a REIT and not literally "land".

op posted posted:

It's a raw residential land in a respectable community. I'm planning of selling it after I expect a good return from it. Expectedly 5-7 years from now.

Oh, no. Well, at least he can just sell it or develop it and maybe salvage the investment.

op posted posted:

It's a fixed size plot. And I'm currently paying installments. I'm free to build anything on the land after 1.5 years, when installments are complete. Sorry if I didn't explain well.

:rip:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Excuse me, I think you meant crypto. So outdated to say real estate.

Has Robert Kiyosaki switched lanes?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Haifisch posted:

"Anyone can do this and if you don't you're just lazy!

(ps I got a ton of help from my parents that I'm too spoiled to realize is help that not everyone gets)"

Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme.

When I was 19 my mom sent me a letter saying she and my stepdad were getting divorced and I would no longer receive help with college / anything. That she was also moving 20 hours away and I should come visit her for holidays.

I should have just bought some houses. I miss having people to celebrate Christmas with :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

doingitwrong posted:

On a related note, father-in-law rented a cabin and this game came with it. Gonna learn all about real wealth.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6552/cashflow-101

Apparently, it was for sale for $200. Talk about learning expensive lessons...

quote:

Meetup is a great way to meet other game players. They have 358 generic boardgame groups, plus many groups for specific games. There are 89 groups for Scrabble. There are 24 groups for Backgammon. There are 46 groups for Catan. There are 18 groups for Puerto Rico. There are 3 groups for the 18XX series. There are 20 groups for Dominoes

If I told you there are 331 groups for a particular boardgame, would you want to give that game a try?

At BoardGameGeek there are 4956 games which have been rated by enough people to be ranked. If I told you a game is 4737th -- in the bottom 5% -- would you want to give that game a try?

Suppose there was only one boardgame that you had ever heard described as a "cult". Would you want to give that game a try?

So when someone brought Cashflow 101 to one of my gaming groups I said, "I want to give that game a try."

The fellow who brought it described it as "Monopoly on steroids". It was more like Careers on LSD. Like Careers, it is theoretically supposed to teach you something about real world economics. Like Monopoly you buy property and make lots of money.

The game design is childishly simple. There are no revolutionary game mechanics. There is an inner track of 24 spots and and outer track of 48 spots. You roll dice and land on spaces with events like payday or draw a Chance Deal card. Like Careers you have a sheet of paper with your current economic state including income. As the game goes on you try to improve your income. Unlike Careers, there is nothing you can do to influence what space you land on. There is one spot that gives you the option to buy an extra die for the next three rolls. You should take it, because it will get you more paydays, but your moves are still all die rolls.

As the game goes along you draw Deal cards, The card either gives you an opportunity to buy something or the opportunity to sell something (if you bought it previously) or both. Only the person who drew it can buy, but anyone can sell. This mechanic works well. (The one item of the game that I found clever.) There are two type of Deals card: Small Deals and Big Deals. Once you have a little cash you want to draw the Big Deals. This leads to a terrible rich get richer situation. Once you start drawing Big Deals, the only way you can cash the Small Deals you have bought is if someone else draws the corresponding Small Deal card. Thus the players who are still drawing Small Deals are helping the players drawing Big Deals, but not vice-versa. The last player to draw a Small Deal is likely the player with the most Small Deals uncashed.

You buy into a good Deal and the wait for the sell card. It might be the next card or it might be thirty cards down. The Deal card randomness makes players rich one by one. They graduate to the Big Deals and the outer track, and then make some special deals and someone wins. The wealth of randomness was already putting me off until about an hour and a half into this two and a half hour game when I finally figured out the cards. The fixed rate investments are all losers, You would think that a game that is supposed to teach you about economics, a fixed investment returning 18% a year is a good thing. Nope. This is all about jackpots. You buy stock when it's low and sell when it's high. You buy houses when they are low and sell when they are high. You can tell just by reading the ROI numbers off the card whether it is a good card. There are several cards that should never be bought under any circumstances.

And here is the underlying nature of the game. The game is designed by Robert Kiyosaki, not to teach facts, but to teach the investment strategy from his Rich Dad Poor Dad books. These Cashflow groups are a satanic an economic cult teaching the gospel according to Kiyosaki. In this game there are a few houses with a bad ROI and it says so on the card. All other houses should be bought. You will make money, guaranteed. There's a card that's like the street repairs card in Monopoly, and this will cost you when it comes up, but next turn your houses will still be making money. Will you ever lose months of rent while you go through the process of evicting a deadbeat tenant? Will the market turn down leaving you with unrented units? That never happens, A property with a positive cashflow printed on the card cannot turn negative. We don't want you to learn about that. In this game, once you understand the ROI numbers it's just big risk leads to big reward. At least when I played Pirate and Traveler I learned some geography. This game is teaching a false understanding of economics.

When viewed this way the rich-get-richer element of the Big Deals and Small Deals is a game design flaw, but a didactic strength. Go for the Big Deals as soon as you can. Take the bigger risks and grab the bigger rewards. The players who are still in the Small Deals are suckers.

I wouldn't mind the bad education if there were a real game there. Unfortunately it's a very simple good card bad card decision. The game can be played on automatic. For me the replay value of this game was less than one time through the game.

19 o'clock posted:

When I was 19 my mom sent me a letter saying she and my stepdad were getting divorced and I would no longer receive help with college / anything. That she was also moving 20 hours away and I should come visit her for holidays.

I should have just bought some houses. I miss having people to celebrate Christmas with :smith:

Oof, sorry you went through that, that sounds pretty awful.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 15, 2021

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Volmarias posted:

It was mostly disorienting and taught me the just world fallacy pretty quickly. It’s been a long time since then and I’m well aware I still have it better than probably 90% of the world’s population.

But also: thank you. It did suck a lot. Thankfully I had some right friends whose families did their best to fill in the blanks :unsmith:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Dril has entered the chat:

I've got a bad habit. Ever since lock down I've started going to get coffee every single morning for a 15min break. Last month I spent over $400 on coffee

quote:

Getting coffee in the morning helps kick my brain into gear. Talking to other people helps so much. I've been working from home and need something to transition my brain from getting out of bed to working. A change of scenery and something to calm the dogs down with. Coffee filled that need. But I'm spending way too much money on it.

I need some recommendations on what I can do instead of going out and buying coffee. Walking the dogs is too much of a hassle for 15min. Literally takes about 5min to get them ready. I've thought about going on a walk, but it's not always doable due to weather or other circumstance. Heck I've even considered just driving to a nearby park and sitting in the car for 10min. Any ideas of what to try?

Additionally my wife and I have created a new habit of getting coffee when she gets home from work. Again it's a way to get out of the house and put an official plug on the day. What could we do instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: $400 is including trips with wife noted in the second half of the post. Individually the coffee is about $5-6, which I still consider expensive.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm about to pay off a personal loan and I think I may need another. Should I take out another loan?

quote:

Due to my own bad spending habits I racked up a pretty sizable amount of debt a few years ago. I managed to secure a consolidation loan and I've been making payments on it ever since. Unfortunately, I never developed better spending habits and I ended up racking up a similar amount of debt across my cards. I'm about to pay off the original consolidation loan and I was wondering if it would be wise to get another or try to pay off the cards as I go.

The main reason that I ask, is that I'm hoping to (finally) move out of my parents house next year. I'm making decent money and I'm worried that my declining credit score would lead to difficulties securing an apartment. I know a consolidation loan would increase my rate quite a bit. I'm wondering what I should do.

quote:

In credit cards around 24000. Around 2400 after taxes monthly income and Around 1500 for expenses.

$2,400 monthly income
$1,500 monthly expenses (lives with parents)
$24,000 in consumer debt

I see zero issues affording an apartment.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

This game actually was a positive influence on me to learn the basics of financial independence, which is basically passive income greater than expenses. I don't think it's a good model to follow as you mature but for a dumb university student it's a step in the right direction.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
as someone who got a modest $2 million loan from parents, I've found monopoly to be most educational

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was gifted a small island as a teenager and settlers of catan saved my life

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anything that encourages landlordism is a bad model

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Strongly recommend people get into 18xx games instead, learning how to loot companies and dump the empty shells with no assets onto someone else is GWM.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Coffee guy is one that needs more information. If he and his wife are spending $400 a mont just on coffee then apart from the obvious "maybe buy cheaper coffee?", If their income is idk $8k a mont net then 5% of your income on something you enjoy every day seems not that bad?

otoh if their income is $800 a month then yeah maybe we have a dril problem.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah, kinda sympathetic to coffee guy. It’s tough to adjust to the mental space of working from home. If he’s found something that works well I’d be hesitant to totally scrap it. Maybe he can reallocate some former gas/transit money to covering it?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
How is 15 min too much hassle for dogs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Would I have to pay sales tax on a p2p car sale if I trade precious metals for it?

I’m about to buy a vehicle off of someone and I was wondering if I traded a significant percentage of the vehicles price in silver as part of my payment, if I would have to pay sales tax for the value of the silver.

Example, say the vehicle value is $10,000 and I pay $8000 + $2000 worth of silver, and the state of Oklahoma which this transaction occurs has a sales tax due once the title is transferred.

Would I have to pay taxes for the $8000 only or the $10,000 still?

quote:

quote:

Yes, barter transactions are not some get-out-of-taxes trick. If you trade a cow for a bookshelf, you have to figure out the USD value of the transaction and pay all applicable taxes as if cash was exchanged.

drat, guess I won’t be bringing cows with me on my next IKEA trip.

quote:

Sales tax on used cars isn’t awful here, but can’t blame me for trying to save a few dollars.

quote:

Do you pay capital gains on credit card cash advance profits?

I have a basically risk free investment opportunity with a friend. I pay half of their mortgage on a rental property and get half of the rent from their roommate. Since the risk is basically 0, I was thinking about just paying it with a cash advance at the end of each month. Does money I use from that to turn profits get capital gains taxes?

quote:

RANT: whole crypto space feels just as corrupt as the system we are supposed to be fighting against.

quote:

It's not crypto its people, but crypto is better than fiat

quote:

Have you ever been scammed by a crypto? Lied to by a crypto? Hurt by a crypto? You are mistaking the technology for the people using it. Crypto would not and can not do that to you. Only people can. Do not give in to FUD over crypto. Direct your FUD at people.

quote:

Exactly. People invest in bullshit without looking stuff up because of their own greed. The system is not at fault here.

quote:

OP, you are missing the most important point here, this is about the people that want to be rich without extra steps so they follow others than do the same dumb things. I sure people that are here from the past bullruns can understand how it works, but with every new bullrun more small retail investors are getting attracted with histories like "I invested 500$ in this token and i convert it in 50k$".

So is the human nature and of course smarter people are going to take advantage of that.

quote:

Crypto will succeed because it works on human nature and not against human nature like fiat. Crypto allows the strong and many to thrive and grow while fiat allows the weak and few to inflate their way to growth.

quote:

quote:

Then don’t invest based on your feelings

I wish there was a way to switch feelings off...

quote:

Time for a new Satoshi?

quote:

A truly decentralized project will also be incorruptible, that's the whole point of crypto - establishing a ruleset that can't be abused and everyone taking part is forced to comply with.

quote:

Anything involving money is corrupt and will always be. That is why crypto is not money. Crypto is empowerment.

quote:

You can argue that crypto was never meant to solve larger social problems like corruption or wealth inequality, but instead it would make it easier to notice and hold people accountable.

The rich will be rich, but with Bitcoin for example, they can't get much richer without screwing each other over. And for us simpletons, it's in our hands for once to get hold of a valuable asset and not be forced into giving it away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1437983143898726401

How does this guy expect to catch any financially-savvy lady by bragging that he has 92k in a checking account?

Modern women want diversification and passive income.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

People investing in "E-Gold" and "Digital Gold" via GooglePay is apparently a thing now?

And people liquidate it by getting it delivered as jewelry to their home or a local warehouse?

quote:

Which one is a better gold investment among GoldBees and digital gold from apps like Groww and Google Pay?

quote:

Gold as an investment is respected throughout the world for its value and rich history. The reasons people tend to make a gold investment are also different, it can be viewed as an asset that helps to create wealth as well as used to control and hedge financial market risks and rising inflation. Being one of the most preferred asset class in India, investment in digital gold is considered to be one of the best performing assets and provide good returns in the coming future.

quote:

I invest every month in gold MF with a budget of 4 digits xxxx, later i liquidate it when i need a physical jewelary, or migrate it to Sovereign gold bonds when i am sure that there is no physical gold requirement in family.

In general every random app gives you option to purchase gold, bacuase they earn when you want to sell it, or you are forced to buy solid physical gold from them on their conditions and fancy shipping charges. so before buying think on how to sell from such apps, and the conditions for selling.

Meanwhile do check Facebook page High Stock Pick good investment stocks ideas are posted every month, also a exclusive premium section where strong fundamental stock are suggested for serious stock investors.

quote:

If you want the digital gold to be converted into physical gold then digital gold is a good investment for you. If you just wanna make money through gold then you can buy Goldbees. Goldbees is a share which cannot be transferred into physical form.

quote:

Digital Gold is always better.

quote:

Digital gold saves physical space, but make sure you do your homework and know the digitial gold is backed by real gold that is stored physically close to you. You need access to that gold in case a scenario arises where it is mandatory.

quote:

No. Buy gold as ornaments and wear them on special occasions - buy golden ornaments for your family members…

quote:

Gold is always the best option to invest our money in, but as recently everything is turning into digital it is a very good idea to invest in Digital Gold.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1437983143898726401

How does this guy expect to catch any financially-savvy lady by bragging that he has 92k in a checking account?

Modern women want diversification and passive income.

Tfw you're such a tool even wsb and crypto weirdos are dunking on you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mrmcd posted:

Tfw you're such a tool even wsb and crypto weirdos are dunking on you.

https://twitter.com/reslus/status/1437999634895364105?s=20

drat owned

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you're buying a used car with silver and you haggle over the price, then do you shave off some extra from some bullion you brought and weigh it against one lead sinker approved by the Queen's division of weights and measures?

Do you scoop the shavings back if you get a deal?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

If you're buying a used car with silver and you haggle over the price, then do you shave off some extra from some bullion you brought and weigh it against one lead sinker approved by the Queen's division of weights and measures?

I've got an idea, why not use a certificate of value instead. In fact, we can sell partial shares of it that way we don't have to actually risk losing shavings!

Wait, why do we need the metal for the certificates at all? As long as people agree that it has worth does it even matter??

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6552/cashflow-101

Apparently, it was for sale for $200. Talk about learning expensive lessons...

My old roommate got into Rich Dad, Poor Dad for awhile, and actually went to one of these meetups to play the game. They were apparently full of people trying to recruit for real estate MLMs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

My old roommate got into Rich Dad, Poor Dad for awhile, and actually went to one of these meetups to play the game. They were apparently full of people trying to recruit for real estate MLMs.

This sounds about right.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

brugroffil posted:

Anything that encourages landlordism is a bad model

:hmmyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kind of how it worked way back in precious metal currency days so probably, yes. lots of fractional coins, use of scales, and clipping

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No, you just walked into a saloon after weeks prospecting in the mountains and slapped down a gold nugget of indeterminable weight or density and ordered a whiskey.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you don't bite the cow to see if it's real first, you're a credulous rube headed for a swindle from a cow made of other, cheaper materials.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtUfNtgawNY

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Krispy Wafer posted:

No, you just walked into a saloon after weeks prospecting in the mountains and slapped down a gold nugget of indeterminable weight or density and ordered a whiskey.

Something like this has actually happened. Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Trump, opened a brothel in NW Canada during a gold rush.

quote:

The Trump family’s gold-rush story began when Fred, as he was known, left Germany at the age of 16 with little more than a suitcase. He headed to New York to work as a barber before venturing west in search of riches. Following stints in Seattle and now-defunct Monte Cristo, the gold fever carried him to Bennett, where he and partner Ernest Levin built the Arctic Restaurant, which touted itself as the best-equipped in town.

It was open around the clock with “private boxes for ladies and parties,” according to an advertisement in the Dec. 9, 1899 edition of the Bennett Sun newspaper. The boxes typically included a bed and scale for weighing gold dust used to pay for “services,” according to a three-generational biography by Gwenda Blair, who traced the origins of the Trump family’s wealth.
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-trump-family-fortune/

Apparently, it's because in boom towns in the middle of nowhere, hard currency could be scarce, so people would pay in precisely measured gold dust. Rather pimpish, I think.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah it's absolutely used as a tool to lure people into MLMs. A friend of mine dragged me through conversations for weeks because I was interested in a leadership/mentoring community and at one point he sent me a PDF of RDPD to read. A week later Amway was casually dropped in a conversation and I cut off the conversations there.

If you apply any kind of critical thinking applied to that book it all falls apart but I guess it's great material if you're already the kind of person who falls for MLMs.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Coffee guy should consider getting a coffee machine at least if he hasn't. Powdered coffee should be a lot cheaper than the coffee shop down the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Space Kablooey posted:

Coffee guy should consider getting a coffee machine at least if he hasn't. Powdered coffee should be a lot cheaper than the coffee shop down the road.

high quality beans are cheaper than the shop down the road

powdered coffee ugh

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What WF account guy..

Dude. First of all, that is totally the wrong loving bar to do that in.

Second, 100k is in that area where like, yeah, okay, you're not broke. Cool. But you ain't rich. You've probably got an average job and as people pointed out, are just losing money to inflation (plus opportunity cost).

Though I mean, if you can pull up a 10 million dollar checking account, that might get you somewhere, ngl (though probably nowhere good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Join the Panera coffee club theit coffee's not awful