Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kill a bunch of kids versus two years of remote schooling weren't and aren't the only options though.

We also could have made school safer by not opening er up, wasn't even considered.

One of the tougher things to come to terms with in all this at least for me is that we don't value what we say we value.

E: ahh I'm on my phone, someone spot me a pet tax stat

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

https://i.imgur.com/TEoi4fg.mp4

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So one of the reasons I’m hearing from teachers and care groups for public schools being so adamantly open’r up is apparently really bad levels of child abuse and neglect among lower income populations as parents are forced to go to work and leave kids at home unsupervised or with friends or relatives they normally probably wouldn’t out of desperation. I am kind of queasy about some of the stories I’ve heard regarding child sexual abuse numbers in particular.

Shits still bad out there yo, even with all the stimulus.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I think in this conversation re: schoolkids we maybe should be careful not to overgeneralize.

The needs, risks, and resources available to meet both of those vary tremendously between families, schools, communities, states etc.

There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Young children especially need socialization and a solid grade-school education. As an educator myself, distance learning is garbage for young kids. Somewhat effective for high school and college students but terrible for grade schoolers. Parents have to weigh the benefits vs. risks and that is going to be very different in every instance.

Are you a family in an area with pretty high vaccination rates and well-funded schools (i.e. Democratic-voting, probably mostly white area)? Congrats your school district has the resources in order to take reasonable precautions to protect students and the community.

Are you a family in an area with lower vaccination rates and/or poorly funded schools? The calculus becomes much more difficult. Add to that if you're lower-income, parents probably need to be working in-person which makes it very difficult to provide day care or supervision to a child doing at-home distance education.

edit:

Oracle posted:

So one of the reasons I’m hearing from teachers and care groups for public schools being so adamantly open’r up is apparently really bad levels of child abuse and neglect among lower income populations as parents are forced to go to work and leave kids at home unsupervised or with friends or relatives they normally probably wouldn’t out of desperation. I am kind of queasy about some of the stories I’ve heard regarding child sexual abuse numbers in particular.

Shits still bad out there yo, even with all the stimulus.

yup that too, very much so.

The kids don't live and learn in a vacuum, how schools operate has tremendous effects on family and community dynamics as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People honestly needed a lot more government money and more things needed to stay closed. But that's not how we do things in America and unless you can somehow roll back decades of starving the beast while endless war gets blank checks, I'm not sure how this could have happened much better, particularly with the Trump admin in office. I hate to be fatalistic about it, I think under a different set of circumstances, we probably could have done a lot better. But our fate was sealed in 2016 on how bad it was going to spiral out of control.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Biden admins have made catastrophic blunders that greatly magnified and will prolong the pandemic too--mainly the bunk 'science' that it was safe for unvaccinated people to stop wearing masks in May this year. As we saw it wasn't safe--studies proved vaccinated could still transmit, and it did nothing to goose the vaccination numbers in any meaningful way. We would all be in a much better place if mask use had stayed mandated and more ubiquitous through the entire year. Many epidemiologists at the time were saying Biden's unmasking decision was too soon (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/upshot/epidemiologists-coronavirus-masks.html) and they were proven totally correct as we all plainly see now.

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five
They should have goosed the vaccination numbers. It's an old circus term.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission. It is unremarkable that vaccinated people can get mild and occasionally moderate symptoms and are still transmissible (severe disease very rarely). That was entirely expected.

My personal take is that, yes, we eased restrictions earlier than we should have though I am not an epidemiologist. That doesn't really provide any bearing on where we go from here.

I guess that sort of kicks it back to the thread OP/IK on whether this thread should be more retrospective "where we went wrong" (lol everywhere, constantly) vs. "what is the current situation, best practices, where to go from here?"

edit: a fundamental part of science vs. pseudoscience or conspiracy theories is self-correction. Good science adapts and changes in reaction to new facts and knowledge. I see a lot of people (not here necessarily, in general) insisting "well Fauci and the government change their mind all the time and they've been wrong so why should I trust them??"

Because good science reacts to our evolving understanding of the situation.

This is a general statement, I'd need to go back and review the science at the time. Just because something was a wrong idea in retrospect doesn't mean it wasn't the appropriate course of action with the facts available at the time.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 15, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
And folks, we're on track to lose more people to COVID-19 under Biden than we did under Trump. When Biden was inaugurated in mid January there were 400k COVID-19 deaths in the US. Right now there are ~670k deaths, an increase of 270k under Biden. At our current average death rate of 1800 deaths a day (as reported by the wapo tracker right now) if it holds up for 4 more months until mid January 2022 we will add another ~220k deaths. So Biden will end his first year with ~400-500k COVID-19 deaths vs. 400k under Trump's last year. This is with the incredible vaccine development and rollout, advances in treatment, boosters and such to come, etc. We have still somehow stayed on track to lose almost the same amount of Americans this year as we did in the first year of blindly fighting the virus. I personally think this is appalling and it demands the administration take much harsher measures to curtail the growth of the virus.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mod sassinator posted:

And folks, we're on track to lose more people to COVID-19 under Biden than we did under Trump. When Biden was inaugurated in mid January there were 400k COVID-19 deaths in the US. Right now there are ~670k deaths, an increase of 270k under Biden. At our current average death rate of 1800 deaths a day (as reported by the wapo tracker right now) if it holds up for 4 more months until mid January 2022 we will add another ~220k deaths. So Biden will end his first year with ~400-500k COVID-19 deaths vs. 400k under Trump's last year. This is with the incredible vaccine development and rollout, advances in treatment, boosters and such to come, etc. We have still somehow stayed on track to lose almost the same amount of Americans this year as we did in the first year of blindly fighting the virus. I personally think this is appalling and it demands the administration take much harsher measures to curtail the growth of the virus.

Did you miss the vaccination mandates a few days ago?

I would contend that a lot of the action that remains to be taken is at state/local level.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

The Biden admins have made catastrophic blunders that greatly magnified and will prolong the pandemic too--mainly the bunk 'science' that it was safe for unvaccinated people to stop wearing masks in May this year. As we saw it wasn't safe--studies proved vaccinated could still transmit, and it did nothing to goose the vaccination numbers in any meaningful way. We would all be in a much better place if mask use had stayed mandated and more ubiquitous through the entire year. Many epidemiologists at the time were saying Biden's unmasking decision was too soon (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/upshot/epidemiologists-coronavirus-masks.html) and they were proven totally correct as we all plainly see now.

I'm not going to qualify every post with equal time for criticism of both sides but you can assume I am in 100 percent agreement with you on the mask guidance; what an absolute failure of leadership.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission. It is unremarkable that vaccinated people can get mild and occasionally moderate symptoms and are still transmissible (severe disease very rarely). That was entirely expected.

My personal take is that, yes, we eased restrictions earlier than we should have though I am not an epidemiologist. That doesn't really provide any bearing on where we go from here.

I guess that sort of kicks it back to the thread OP/IK on whether this thread should be more retrospective "where we went wrong" (lol everywhere, constantly) vs. "what is the current situation, best practices, where to go from here?"

edit: a fundamental part of science vs. pseudoscience or conspiracy theories is self-correction. Good science adapts and changes in reaction to new facts and knowledge. I see a lot of people (not here necessarily, in general) insisting "well Fauci and the government change their mind all the time and they've been wrong so why should I trust them??"

Because good science reacts to our evolving understanding of the situation.

This is a general statement, I'd need to go back and review the science at the time. Just because something was a wrong idea in retrospect doesn't mean it wasn't the appropriate course of action with the facts available at the time.

For the record, this thread isn't exactly a barn burner, so if folks want to talk about hindsight I'm not going to say it's verboten or anything. Just try not to be frothing assholes to each other, for the love of god. That is a general statement and not directed at Mr. Horse here who is clearly behaving himself.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 15, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Fritz the Horse posted:

Did you miss the vaccination mandates a few days ago?

I would contend that a lot of the action that remains to be taken is at state/local level.

It will take someone starting vaccination in October until December to be fully vaccinated and protected. It's too little too late to matter for saving someone this year. The mandate should have happened in May.

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

mod sassinator posted:

Come on dude. You know why this has happened. It's because a highly contagious variant emerged and a significant proportion of the US population refuses to take the vaccine, despite it being available for free, because right wing news sources told them not to. The administration has taken measures such as the proposed rule to require employers with more than 100 employees to mandate the vaccine or weekly testing (spoiler: no large employer is going to try to enforce and pay for weekly testing). They're limited in some ways by the courts; if you want to argue that the Biden admin should just refuse to enforce courts' orders then that's a line of argument but it isn't going to happen.

Oh, and if you want lockdowns to return that's not happening either. When the pandemic is almost exclusively among those who have voluntarily refused to protect themselves against it, you're not going to get much support from those who did the right thing for making their lives worse.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Suck Moredickis posted:

Come on dude. You know why this has happened. It's because a highly contagious variant emerged and a significant proportion of the US population refuses to take the vaccine, despite it being available for free, because right wing news sources told them not to. The administration has taken measures such as the proposed rule to require employers with more than 100 employees to mandate the vaccine or weekly testing (spoiler: no large employer is going to try to enforce and pay for weekly testing). They're limited in some ways by the courts; if you want to argue that the Biden admin should just refuse to enforce courts' orders then that's a line of argument but it isn't going to happen.

Oh, and if you want lockdowns to return that's not happening either. When the pandemic is almost exclusively among those who have voluntarily refused to protect themselves against it, you're not going to get much support from those who did the right thing for making their lives worse.

And variants were totally unknown to Biden? No.. by the time Biden was inaugurated we were dealing with the alpha variant surge, which the world had already seen blaze through the UK. Many epidemiologists were saying that this was just the start of what would be many variants, potentially even worse or more infectious. No policy decision should have been made under the assumption that no new variants or no worse variants would emerge.

And folks, hold on to your butts because there's nothing stopping an even worse variant emerging from our current tremendous levels of transmission. Every epidemiologist has warned that we cannot sustain high levels of transmission with hundreds of thousands of new cases a day without breeding more variants. We continue to play with fire and just want to shift blame instead of take action. If we breed a variant that escapes the vaccine antibodies then it is suddenly a pandemic for everyone again--never forget that.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

It will take someone starting vaccination in October until December to be fully vaccinated and protected. It's too little too late to matter for saving someone this year. The mandate should have happened in May.

No one was going to mandate a vaccine until there was a vaccine with full FDA approval.

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

mod sassinator posted:

And variants were totally unknown to Biden? No.. by the time Biden was inaugurated we were dealing with the alpha variant surge, which the world had already seen blaze through the UK. Many epidemiologists were saying that this was just the start of what would be many variants, potentially even worse or more infectious. No policy decision should have been made under the assumption that no new variants or no worse variants would emerge.

And folks, hold on to your butts because there's nothing stopping an even worse variant emerging from our current tremendous levels of transmission. Every epidemiologist has warned that we cannot sustain high levels of transmission with hundreds of thousands of new cases a day without breeding more variants. We continue to play with fire and just want to shift blame instead of take action. If we breed a variant that escapes the vaccine antibodies then it is suddenly a pandemic for everyone again--never forget that.

All of your posts are unsourced doomer horseshit. If you're not threadbanned you should be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Suck Moredickis posted:

All of your posts are unsourced doomer horseshit. If you're not threadbanned you should be.

Lovely post, friend.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Sir John Falstaff posted:

No one was going to mandate a vaccine until there was a vaccine with full FDA approval.

This is totally wrong, many businesses and schools mandated it before the FDA had full approval. Apple, Google, etc. just off the top of my head. Colleges like Duke, Notre Dame, etc. Even restaurants and bars were requiring proof of vaccination to eat indoors. Plenty of things have required the vaccine before the FDA gave full approval. There's no reason it couldn't be mandated more widely.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mod sassinator posted:

For my own mental health and well being I'm going to keep on living my life as normally as I can with every reasonable precaution.

Me personally, I'm not going to obsess over the possibility of new, vaccine-evading variants emerging. That's not a healthy way to live your life.

It might happen!

But, in that worst-case scenario, we'll have months of warning to prepare.

How long were we warned about delta before it started causing surges in the US? Same will be true of any new variant. There will be advance warning, and you or I can take appropriate measures. I'm not going to live my life in the wreckage of the future.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Live your life however you please. But if you're the executive branch administration for the entire country--you better have a plan for potential worst case scenarios. The administration is not beyond criticism just because the virus did something nobody wanted it to do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People who are fully vaccinated and wearing N95 or equivalent have very little to worry about wrt to covid. However going about unmasked has resulted in 2 vaxxed family members getting pretty not fun bouts of covid. Personally not part of my risk assessment to go out to bars and restaurants and other horseshit like that but I feel pretty safe when I'm masked up and going to the grocery store or whatever. We are visiting family and close friends who are vaxxed, in many cases my partner still masks up because of potential exposures at work.

All of those things can be true and people can still feel legitimate frustration and anger at both past and current admins response to this pandemic. Just for gently caress's sake stop assuming the worst of each other and talking past each other.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

This is totally wrong, many businesses and schools mandated it before the FDA had full approval. Apple, Google, etc. just off the top of my head. Colleges like Duke, Notre Dame, etc. Even restaurants and bars were requiring proof of vaccination to eat indoors. Plenty of things have required the vaccine before the FDA gave full approval. There's no reason it couldn't be mandated more widely.

In the U.S. government, I meant. Employers are in a different position--as an employer, parts of the federal government have had a similar vaccinate-or-test requirement for a while. But broader mandates, or mandates for employees that don't allow for a test, mask, and distance alternative, were going to wait for full approval.

This isn't a legal argument, by the way--I'm saying that I don't think would want to mandate something that had not received full approval that broadly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I just wish we'd waited for full approval of COVID before we infected 45% of Americans :shrug:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

The Biden Admin has done a poo poo job, but it's not a fair comparison (yet). Half of the deaths so far under Biden occurred within the first two months of his admin. 100k occurred in the first month. You mention all the advantages this admin had versus the Trump admin, but they also faced a lot of disadvantages, namely inheriting a raging shitstorm.

Is there far more that the Biden Admin could and should do? Absolutely. I do not think we should hold back our criticisms. I'd argue that American society has also failed for reasons beyond any government. However, I don't like comparisons to the Trump Admin because of the connotations that the counterfactual of the Trump Admin would have been equal or better. I'd much rather have the Biden Admin, or nearly any admin, right now than the Trump Admin. Similarly almost any admin would have been an improvement over the Trump Admin in 2020.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Sir John Falstaff posted:

In the U.S. government, I meant. Employers are in a different position--as an employer, parts of the federal government have had a similar vaccinate-or-test requirement for a while. But broader mandates, or mandates for employees that don't allow for a test, mask, and distance alternative, were going to wait for full approval.

This isn't a legal argument, by the way--I'm saying that I don't think would want to mandate something that had not received full approval that broadly.

I get what you are saying, but I think it's important to acknowledge that there was always a central incoherence to this dynamic that I don't think anyone really has a good way to resolve.

In — just to pick an arbitrary date — May of 2021, the Biden administration, most governors, and all public health organizations were strongly, strongly encouraging people to get the EUA vaccine. If you had gone up to Biden, or Fauci, or Newsom, or a non-chud GOP gov like Charlie Baker, and said "you can wave a wand and all the unvaxxed above age 12 will have a shot tomorrow," they would have waved the wand. And yet we never mandated the EUA nor expedited full authorization.

To me, there's no way to reduce this to something other than a failure in the executive functioning of the federal government. Either the feds were ahead of the science on vaccines, and irresponsibly trying to get as many people as vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible, or the FDA bureaucracy is/was too sclerotic to respond to the science, and was sitting around shuffling papers rather than a coordinated, emergency, whole-of-government approach to reviewing things as quickly as possible.

I think there's evidence for both failures, unfortunately: that parts of the federal government were too sloppy to prevent, or pick up on, problems like the J&J manufacturing issues, or the heart issues with mRNAs, or helping expedite Novavax's extremely safe and effective protein subunit vaccine, while other parts have been too myopic and slow to, say, publicly communicate "there are irreducible delays in the children's vaccine because we need time to pass to look for side effects, and we think we need 4 weeks to see those side effects, so we will have an answer to you in a month." In the latter case, any delay beyond the irreducible passage of time for side effects — for which I believe the CDC/FDA's stated position is that all vaccine side effects ever studied show up in weeks or a few months — is evidence of something in the bureaucracy going wrong.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
If you want to play the comparison game (which is kinda pointless IMO, I think you can independently talk about how Trump responded and how Biden responded without making it about who did better or worse), you really have to go by actions rather than outcomes. Managing a virus with an R0 of 5-8 a year+ into a global pandemic is just a fundamentally different thing than managing a completely novel virus with an R0 of 2-3.

That by no means means that Biden was perfect by any measure, but doing anything else is like saying one president was better with disaster preparedness because the hurricane that happened under President A caused tons of damage, and the tropical storm warning that happened under President B hardly caused any.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You're overselling the difficulty by quite a bit. We had a massive toolbox built up over one 14 months: knowledge of what works and what doesn't (which could easily be tweaked for a more transmissible disease), better treatments, more mitigation infrastrucure, we knew Delta was coming months in advance, and critically, ~83% seroprevolence of antibodies from vaccination and prior infection. That last part alone puts Delta roughly between OG COVID and Alpha (roughly because there's no one-to-one analogue between R0+protection and lower R0 in a naive population).

What we didn't have was political or individual will to control outbreaks, and we'd spent the previous couple of months convince everyone that the vaccine was all they needed and they were being ridiculous if they tried to avoid infection after vaccination.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission.

I've seen this quite a few times (I think TWiV promotes it too), but I don't really buy it. They didn't design the vaccine to prevent disease rather than transmission, they designed it in a way to give a broad immunological response, and what we got happened to be the result. If protection against disease were truly the only component of interest, then the phase 3 trials should have been powered for VE against severe disease and it should have been the primary endpoint, rather than secondary. There should have been some effort to tease apart the conditional effect of protection against infection to better estimate long-term disease protection in the event that protection against infection waned. It's certainly not the endpoint health officials wanted, since they keep insisting that breakthroughs are "rare".

The vaccines protecting primarily against disease is a disappointing outcome because it precludes the much, much more effective preventative effects of population vaccination (which ultimately would mean much better protection against disease overall). And in the end it makes ongoing NPIs more important, not less.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 15, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, I'm not necessarily even implying that Trump had easy mode COVID and Biden had hard-mode COVID. Biden had vaccines available, much more information on how to treat the disease, much more knowledge on how well various NPIs work, etc. He also had a far more transmissible variant, a population that was pretty fatigued of lockdowns and restrictions, a year of messaging about how vaccines were going to solve everything and stop COVID forever, etc.

I realize my example may have implied that, and it was a bad example in retrospect. I just think the situations are different enough that they're not comparable purely by outcomes. If Biden encountered more cases or deaths, I'm not sure if saying "he did worse" is a straightforward answer. Going by actions taken gets you closer, but the question still remains of whether the two situations are comparable in the first place.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of the funnier things about the current UK projections is that we're expecting a terrible winter partially because our track and trace system was actually quite effective and actually told poo poo tons of people to isolate simply for being exposed to the infected. So instead of spreading the virus so badly this summer (herd immunity was back but it was foiled, wolf whine) we're going to have people picking it up in droves at an even worse period of the year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

One of the funnier things about the current UK projections is that we're expecting a terrible winter partially because our track and trace system was actually quite effective and actually told poo poo tons of people to isolate simply for being exposed to the infected. So instead of spreading the virus so badly this summer (herd immunity was back but it was foiled, wolf whine) we're going to have people picking it up in droves at an even worse period of the year.

Yeah, summer seems to have gone reasonably well, but as a consequence everyone has stopped giving a poo poo entirely and is acting like the pandemic is over.

E: oh yes, and let's not forget the 'pingdemic', where everyone was expecting to get constantly pinged by the track and trace system after businesses reopened. This was treated as :rolleyes: "oh, you know modern software" instead of "no poo poo, there's still a pandemic on you idiots".

I feel like I should have made more use of summer, I went out last weekend but am otherwise back to staying relatively isolated and fully masking, and since the UK is probably sleepwalking into an explosion of cases in winter, barring some insane fortune where good British air miraculously blocks Delta, I definitely won't have the opportunity to get out and see people more than right now.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 15, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dwelling on the possibility of new variants isn't a healthy thing to do as an individual, but the idea that therefore policymakers should just assume nothing bad will ever happen and neither take those possibilities into account nor prepare for them is nuts.

Should you personally live in terror of another variant undoing all the progress we've made with vaccination, probably not. Should Biden therefore ignore the possibility and pursue policies that make new variants even more likely (by not quarantining travelers, and by shrugging and letting the virus spread uncontrollably in unvaccinated populations because 'they made their choice so they deserve it') mmm, gonna also say no he should probably not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Last thread I posted that every non-N95 mask I've tried causes glasses fogging, to various extents. I'm not concerned about the fogging in and of itself since I mostly wear contacts and won't need sunglasses much in the winter, but I am worried that it means that masks are not sealing my face properly. I've tried three different 3M N95s and they also have the same issue, though less so. Breathing normally through them is fine, but breathing heavily (especially exhaling from my nose) seems to do it, and preferentially on my right side. My nose is slightly crooked but not, like, uhhh Adrien Brody? The masks I've tried:

- 3M 8511; by far the most comfortable. No fogging when using the exhalation valve, but still a bit (though less than any other) with it taped shut from the inside, as 3M recommends.
- 3M 9205+ (Aura); smaller than I'd like and somewhat awkward to get a tight seal top and bottom. I also find it strange that if you look closely, the upper part of the mask appears to have large low-density, semi-transparent 'holes' in the material, which seem counter-productive?
- 3M 8210; too small and the least comfortable, to the point that it leaves obvious crease marks if worn for an hour or so. Slightly harder to fog than the Aura, at least.

Any suggestions? Incidentally, all three of those models now seem to be widely available in the US.

The 8210 in particular I tried while skating at a (cold, obviously) rink. It was fairly humid for the temperature so I'm not sure how much fogging is just warm exhaled air causing condensation of ambient moisture, but I still get it indoors at normal room temperatures and low humidity so that can't be the whole answer.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 15, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

eXXon posted:

- 3M 8210; too small and the least comfortable, to the point that it leaves obvious crease marks if worn for an hour or so. Slightly harder to fog than the Aura, at least.

Sounds like this one is working. Barring an actual fit test, I would use this one

E: also I read this so gently caress I guess you guys have to as well

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1438110388080553989?s=19

Most of the comments are obliquely suggesting murder, and the case is compelling

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 15, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

VitalSigns posted:

Kill a bunch of kids versus two years of remote schooling weren't and aren't the only options though.

We also could have made school safer by not opening er up, wasn't even considered.

One of the tougher things to come to terms with in all this at least for me is that we don't value what we say we value.

I think people decided to open up schools because a key component of BACK TO THE OFFICE :byodame: was that kids had to be somewhere as American parents don't trust their kids at home alone, and that somewhere might as well be school again. That there were absolutely no plans for improved remote learning or anything other than sending kids back into tiny rooms was incidental. Schools were likely assuming or desperately hoping this would be over before the Delta variant hit, so were caught flat-footed with no backup.

And then there's the schools and states that gave absolutely no shits about covid to begin with.

*Oh yeah and then there's CDC guidance that the appropriate distancing for kids was 3 feet instead of 6 feet, thus allowing kids to be jam packed into current classroom sizes and still be within the guidelines, that they put in during the Trump era and never updated, which I'm just assuming is malfeasance at this point.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 15, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I go around in my highly vaccinated state and most people are still wearing masks indoors. The guidance that the CDC gave in May was bad, given that they knew Delta was coming, but the people who were wearing masks before still are, and the ones who weren't still aren't. Masks were never widely adopted in the states that are currently dealing with surges, not even in mid-2020.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Most of the comments are obliquely suggesting murder, and the case is compelling

No jury in the world would convict, and life in prison gets shorter every day.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think people decided to open up schools because a key component of BACK TO THE OFFICE :byodame: was that kids had to be somewhere as American parents don't trust their kids at home alone, and that somewhere might as well be school again.

This is highly dependent on how old your kids are. High school aged, sure (but then again, those ages are more likely to be vaccinated and thus less of a concern). I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I can't think of many places in the world where leaving them at home for a full day wouldn't be considered reckless (it's flat out illegal where I live).

Even if you are working from home, it's impractical to assume that especially with younger children that you'll be able to work effectively and they'll just do remote learning all day. There's real impacts, and needing to care for your kids even 50% of the time (if you're able to split with a partner) will definitely impact your job, both in terms of your actual productivity and your reputation. I've heard many, many stories from fairly horrible managers about how irresponsible X employee is because they're always taking care of their kid and not doing work, and virtually every office environment's remote policy takes great efforts to stress that spending any work time on childcare is strictly prohibited.

Parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Supports just don't exist - while here in Canada there are benefits you can take related to COVID if you're laid off, needing to take time off to care for children isn't a permitted way to get them (unless your child's in-person school was closed). Even assuming you could weasel your way in, you're potentially trading a steady job and your professional reputation for $2000 a month in support.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like this one is working. Barring an actual fit test, I would use this one

E: also I read this so gently caress I guess you guys have to as well

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1438110388080553989?s=19

Yeah, I don't think a jury on the planet would convict. Holy poo poo.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

enki42 posted:

This is highly dependent on how old your kids are. High school aged, sure (but then again, those ages are more likely to be vaccinated and thus less of a concern). I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I can't think of many places in the world where leaving them at home for a full day wouldn't be considered reckless (it's flat out illegal where I live).

Even if you are working from home, it's impractical to assume that especially with younger children that you'll be able to work effectively and they'll just do remote learning all day. There's real impacts, and needing to care for your kids even 50% of the time (if you're able to split with a partner) will definitely impact your job, both in terms of your actual productivity and your reputation. I've heard many, many stories from fairly horrible managers about how irresponsible X employee is because they're always taking care of their kid and not doing work, and virtually every office environment's remote policy takes great efforts to stress that spending any work time on childcare is strictly prohibited.

Parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Supports just don't exist - while here in Canada there are benefits you can take related to COVID if you're laid off, needing to take time off to care for children isn't a permitted way to get them (unless your child's in-person school was closed). Even assuming you could weasel your way in, you're potentially trading a steady job and your professional reputation for $2000 a month in support.

We know how bad the situation is and parents don't really need to be making excuses for incompetent or criminal administration anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: I don't think anybody is making excuses for Trump itt ^^^

Mellow Seas posted:

I go around in my highly vaccinated state and most people are still wearing masks indoors. The guidance that the CDC gave in May was bad, given that they knew Delta was coming, but the people who were wearing masks before still are, and the ones who weren't still aren't. Masks were never widely adopted in the states that are currently dealing with surges, not even in mid-2020.

Pretty much. I imagine that a lot of goons who despair over masks live in chud-run states where nobody ever followed the rules for more than a month or two in 2020. That sucks, but in other parts of the country people are happy to follow the rules for public health.

How are u fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 15, 2021