Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

That’s it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Do any games feature the Doggerland area in any kind of way? I've always been fascinated by it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

External Organs posted:

Do any games feature the Doggerland area in any kind of way? I've always been fascinated by it.

As a Brit I was extremely afraid to open that link

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Well, Terraria was a bust (two of us already had it, and a third copy is relatively cheap).

SO didn't like it because it was too boring early and she felt like she didn't know what to do, just wandering around picking at dirt and stuff.

She preferred Don't Starve Together, and wanted to go back to that.

So at least I guess that pretty much rules out all of the true builder games and such.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SlyFrog posted:

Well, Terraria was a bust (two of us already had it, and a third copy is relatively cheap).

SO didn't like it because it was too boring early and she felt like she didn't know what to do, just wandering around picking at dirt and stuff.

She preferred Don't Starve Together, and wanted to go back to that.

So at least I guess that pretty much rules out all of the true builder games and such.

Terraria is probably one of the most difficult builder games to get into. Try Astroneer instead, noting that they just bombed their tutorial (!) but if you use the in game help it should be clear.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mayveena posted:

Terraria is probably one of the most difficult builder games to get into. Try Astroneer instead, noting that they just bombed their tutorial (!) but if you use the in game help it should be clear.

That Astroneer tutorial was awful. If you just played the tutorial and didn't go any further you would think it's the most boring space game ever made.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Manager Hoyden posted:

That Astroneer tutorial was awful. If you just played the tutorial and didn't go any further you would think it's the most boring space game ever made.

It's been literally years since I played it so I don't remember. And they said they removed it because something was fundamentally wrong. As soon as you can understand the basics, the mission system is a way way better tutorial anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also while most builder games will end up with you constantly alt+tabbing out to check crafting recipes and things you should be building towards, Astroneer finally integrated that into the game itself with easy cheat sheets of what planets have what and what technologies you can later develop. There's also goals that are more straightforwards to work towards, getting resources to build the next tier of stuff, and powering the planet core, instead of Minecraft's vaguer "official" questline of gathering ender eyes to find the Stronghold and kill the Ender Dragon. Seven Days to Die is sort of the FPS version of Don't Starve, but it's also complicated and difficult if you're wary about that.

There's also Castle Crashers, Magicka, Unrailed, and Viscera Cleanup Detail as non-building games where you can just do online co-op and work towards a specific goal.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I just finished Othercide and I really liked it. The gameplay was very fun (srpg) and I liked the atmosphere a lot...it felt like you were fighting an impossible war against grotesque monsters. It scratched a particular itch I have which is ridiculously specific:

strategy/tactics game
oppressive atmosphere, like the feeling of teammates huddled together around a dying fire
individualized characters (Othercide had generics you can assign mods to)
emphasis on teamwork, having characters save each others' asses

Games I've played that have touched on these things would be:

Othercide
Darkest Dungeon
Frostpunk (didn't really click with me)
Knights in the Nightmare
Xcoms

Anyone know of other games that are in this vein?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just finished Othercide and I really liked it. The gameplay was very fun (srpg) and I liked the atmosphere a lot...it felt like you were fighting an impossible war against grotesque monsters. It scratched a particular itch I have which is ridiculously specific:

strategy/tactics game
oppressive atmosphere, like the feeling of teammates huddled together around a dying fire

Othercide
Darkest Dungeon
Knights in the Nightmare
Xcoms

X-Com Files (total conversion mod for X-COM)
Battle Brothers (more grimdark dark fantasy setting than horror but it has horror-esque enemies in it) (also unfortunately made by chuds)
Stirring Abyss (Underwater XCOM)
Strain Tactics (Weird tacticool alien invasion that I really adored playing)
Templar Battleforce (it's 40k without the name)
Warhammer 40k Mechanicus (amazing music)
Alder's Blood (dark horror atmosphere, includes stealth mechanics)
Don't Get Bit (more puzzle-y but it's zombie survival/avoidance)
Gorky 17 (old survival horror tactics)
Plaguepunk Justice (weird dark tactics)
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming (indie grimdark weird)
Urtuk (grimdark weird)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
drat, thanks! I wasn't expecting a long list of suggestions. I'll check these out, thanks again!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

• This War of Mine
  • Kingdom Classic/New Lands/Two Crowns
  • Shelter
  • Death Road to Canada (or for a less actiony version) Organ Trail
  • maybe Banished?
  • the Dead Winter board game
  • Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
I vaguely remember a game that was on Steam that had like faux-8-bit graphics and it had like NPCs that you'd need to manage that would congregate around a fire, and I think there was the implication that if their psychological state was bad enough, they might commit suicide.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I vaguely remember a game that was on Steam that had like faux-8-bit graphics and it had like NPCs that you'd need to manage that would congregate around a fire, and I think there was the implication that if their psychological state was bad enough, they might commit suicide.
That sounds like Gods Will Be Watching. An interesting game, to be sure, just not very friendly to the player.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

WHY BONER NOW posted:

strategy/tactics game

Othercide
Darkest Dungeon
Knights in the Nightmare
Xcoms

Have you played Into The Breach? That ticks some of those boxes,.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Have you played Into The Breach? That ticks some of those boxes,.

Yep, I've played that one--and it's a fantastic suggestion/ I have a lot of respect for the developers and their view of game design (I didn't like FTL as much but it's still an amazing game).

Some other games I've played that fit the mold I'm looking for:

Mutant Year Zero (some good character banter in this one)
Steamworld Heist (one of my all time favorite games)

SlothfulCobra posted:

• This War of Mine
  • Kingdom Classic/New Lands/Two Crowns
  • Shelter
  • Death Road to Canada (or for a less actiony version) Organ Trail
  • maybe Banished?
  • the Dead Winter board game
  • Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Thanks for these, too...I'm especially interested in checking out The Dead Winter, a board game in this vein sounds real intriguing

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
  • Xenonauts
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Silent Strom
  • Door Kickers - this one is RTwP
  • Phantom Doctrine - this one came out a little underbaked and gets samey after a while, but has amazing atmosphere. Get it only on sale.
  • Dungeon of the Endless

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

strategy/tactics game

Othercide
Darkest Dungeon
Knights in the Nightmare
Xcoms

Mordheim doesn't work for me but I couldn't really explain why, people who like it really like it so worth a look.

While on the Warhammer note, Mechanicus maybe?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'm looking for a fun co-op game for some friends and I to play. We live all over and we've been doing online about once a week since lockdown began, and we're basically using it as an excuse to chat, catch up, whatever, very low stress. So I'd like some more recommendations, anything that's engaging enough to be something to do, but not so distracting that you can't talk over it. Things that have been pretty good have been Borderlands, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Vermintide, so games in that vein are probably good, but a strategy or RPG or something would totally work too, as long as it's going to be playable by a couple of people who can talk over voip while they play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

poisonpill posted:

I'm looking for a fun co-op game for some friends and I to play. We live all over and we've been doing online about once a week since lockdown began, and we're basically using it as an excuse to chat, catch up, whatever, very low stress. So I'd like some more recommendations, anything that's engaging enough to be something to do, but not so distracting that you can't talk over it. Things that have been pretty good have been Borderlands, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Vermintide, so games in that vein are probably good, but a strategy or RPG or something would totally work too, as long as it's going to be playable by a couple of people who can talk over voip while they play.

Deep Rock Galactic
Earth Defense Force 5

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Definitely try Deep Rock Galactic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mordheim doesn't work for me but I couldn't really explain why, people who like it really like it so worth a look.

I am someone who liked Mordheim and what I will say about it is that you need to be prepared for utter bullshit losses that you could not have possibly prevented. I think that's fun because in real warfare you can't always prevent every loss and it makes it a bit more immersive and makes me care about my units more. when I know that they might literally just die - not just because I played poorly but because you can't always be better than every opponent.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

poisonpill posted:

Streets of Rage 4. On lower difficulties, it's super chill button mashing to victory. The difficulties scale nicely (and are brutal at the top end) if you want to put more thought into things.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

poisonpill posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Rocket League

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vadun posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

nthing this, DRG is the most entertaining... L4D-like? i've ever played

(as an aside, that genre has to be older than L4D, right? surely there's some old Source mod or something)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's the original killing floor mod I suppose, that was for ut 2k4 iirc?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic
Earth Defense Force 5

thekeeshman posted:

Definitely try Deep Rock Galactic.

Vadun posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nthing this, DRG is the most entertaining... L4D-like? i've ever played

(as an aside, that genre has to be older than L4D, right? surely there's some old Source mod or something)

Thanks, all. Looks like I've got my answer. I'll check out the other suggestions if this fizzles out. Thanks again.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Need some help homies. I broke a bone in my left hand, so I'm gonna be one handed for the next month or so. Can you all recommend some good mouse only games? Or something that could be played on a keyboard if it has simple one hand controls.
I had been playing GW2 mainly, and whatever the most recent dragon quest is.
I like RPGS, ARPGS, puzzle games, point n click adventures, so there should be a handful of games that fit my criteria, right?
I can provide more specifics if needed, one handed typing is tedious.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bengy81 posted:

Need some help homies. I broke a bone in my left hand, so I'm gonna be one handed for the next month or so. Can you all recommend some good mouse only games? Or something that could be played on a keyboard if it has simple one hand controls.
I like RPGS, ARPGS, puzzle games, point n click adventures, so there should be a handful of games that fit my criteria, right?

Have you tried Backbone

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Judging by my discovery queue, there are a lot of games on Steam that are designed to be played one-handed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Disco Elysium
XCOM 2
Warhammer: Mechanicus
Unavowed
Into the Breach
Deadly Rooms Of Death
Machinarium
Memoria
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
lots of turn based strategy/roguelike/roguelites/builder can be played with just a mouse, maybe move a couple of keybinds around to a 4th or 5th button.

ftl
darkest dungeon
rift wizard
jupiter hell
slay the spire
monster train
griftlands
nova drift
loop hero
creeper world series
baldur's gate and any other isometric rpg
stellaris
anno 1404 / 1800
civilization
total war games

ultrafilter posted:

Judging by my discovery queue, there are a lot of games on Steam that are designed to be played one-handed.
:cumpolice:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

bengy81 posted:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the righteous just came out, an RPG with a turn based mode for combat and mouse controls

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

bengy81 posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor should be mouse only, I think.
Its been awhile.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

bengy81 posted:

• Crypt of the Necrodancer (attacking, movement, and menus all use WASD or arrow keys, the simplicity of the controls even allows for same-keyboard co-op)
  • FTL (mostly done through clicking, but you may want to slam spacebar to pause)
  • Into the Breach (all clicking)
  • Most point and clicks, but I'm gonna recommend Tales of Monkey Island, since that has a movement system where you pull your character around with a mouse that feels pretty good
  • Don't Starve (clicking)
  • Cogs (clicking)
  • Punch Club (clicking)
  • Solar 2 (WASD)
  • Agar.io (mouse dragging)
  • Guild of Dungeoneering (clicking)

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

bengy81 posted:

One Finger Death Punch

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Thanks dudes, turns out I have a ton of the recommended games in my steam library, and I've only touched a few of them, should keep me busy for a few days for sure.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pipski posted:

One Finger Death Punch

This is sooooo good. 1 and 2 are basically the same game so probably just get 1.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Pretty much any visual novel, non-3D puzzle game, or point and click adventure game will work for that, check out the relevant threads for those kinds of games.

I don't think I'd want to play one finger death punch with an injured hand to be honest, even if it does only require one hand it is insanely frenetic and (imo) works better with a controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Any of the Shadowrun games. You can play them with just a mouse.

And you should play them anyway, because they're awesome.