Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

*banging on the pod door* let me gently caress and suck the machines!!!
buddy,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

bag em and tag em posted:

This guy gets it. We don't want the Matrix, we want The Culture.

Suck and gently caress, custom drug glands, live as long as you want, get whatever cybernetic or biotech enhancements you want and swap em out whenever, sassy drone AIs. The Matrix ain't poo poo by comparison.

we should replace the executive branch of government with AI algorithms that impartially allocate resources and provide services as needed. The legislative branch can still be elected representatives - they pass laws that become new algorithms for the executive bots. The Judiciary is responsible for auditing the algorithms for bias. Police should be replaced with robocops, until they are no longer required because everyone's needs are met.

but yeah, human societies and ecosystems are far too complicated for humans to manage. Let the AI do it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

raspurtin posted:

impartially allocate resources

no

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To be honest, random allocation would be both impartial and actually preferable to the current system

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

raspurtin posted:

we should replace the executive branch of government with AI algorithms that impartially allocate resources and provide services as needed. The legislative branch can still be elected representatives - they pass laws that become new algorithms for the executive bots. The Judiciary is responsible for auditing the algorithms for bias. Police should be replaced with robocops, until they are no longer required because everyone's needs are met.

but yeah, human societies and ecosystems are far too complicated for humans to manage. Let the AI do it.

word i'm sure that the algorithms won't ever do a racism based on the laws passed by the legislature

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Can't violate the three laws of robotics baked in to your positronic brain if you don't consider any non-white people to be humans because you were trained using a biased dataset!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i am pretty sure you can whack alienation w puter touchin to the extent i have a dealio for it but im p sure you cant whack bad faith w puter touchin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

To be honest, random allocation would be both impartial and actually preferable to the current system

It would also be pretty fun on average. Like each week you'd just get a shipment of completely random amounts and types of food, taken from the pool of all foods in the world. Sure, occasionally you would starve to death that week because you got real unlucky, but at least who starves to death each week would be distributed across the entire human population instead of conspicuously concentrated in a few poor areas.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

gonna stand by the microwave and just go "My God!" over and over for the first decade

I'll just walk around saying "Greetings!"

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

word i'm sure that the algorithms won't ever do a racism based on the laws passed by the legislature

or just entirely accidentally for reasons we can't even determine because being racist is just what AI does

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean pattern recognition and category formation is the whole point

It happens with human intelligence too, all the time, we just learned to work against it for abstract reasons like justice, fairness, and equity which seem like literally the hardest thing too ever get an AI to "understand"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Loling at the idea of President John Henry Eden but unironicly said by a filthy computer toucher who wants the Tesla bots to control the nukes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

if it ever gets to that, we better follow it up with a butlerian jihad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I mean pattern recognition and category formation is the whole point

It happens with human intelligence too, all the time, we just learned to work against it for abstract reasons like justice, fairness, and equity which seem like literally the hardest thing too ever get an AI to "understand"

yeah but the problem is we can’t figure out why or how the AI becomes racist even when examining the raw data so it’s not even an issue of changing the algorithm or training datasets, it does it anyway

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We replaced a business rule that says "if demo_race=african_american, then mortgage_approval=0" with a collection of linear algebra that returns the same result but sufficiently obfuscates it behind input data sets that correlate with being black like a combination of zip code, name, and credit history such that we can say we're not racist because look, if you give a white guy the exact personal history and cv of a black guy, the system would deny him a home loan too! And then we can say bullshit like this and get away with it:

indigi posted:

yeah but the problem is we can’t figure out why or how the AI becomes racist even when examining the raw data so it’s not even an issue of changing the algorithm or training datasets, it does it anyway

The system works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yospos calls it "bias laundering" and I really like that term

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

The fundamental problem with expecting machine learning that predicts any economic outcome or behavior to not be racist-by-default is that unless you put your thumb on the scale affirmative action style, it's just going to print out ream after ream of paper that says "our society is racist and black/brown/indigenous people individually suffer predictably and consistently worse outcomes as a result." You can't ~the data~ your way out of living in a demon cracker nation.

But critically, it's entirely possible to defend yourself legally while you continue to discriminate if you launder it behind math that carefully avoids race but does the exact same poo poo by proxy.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

We replaced a business rule that says "if demo_race=african_american, then mortgage_approval=0" with a collection of linear algebra that returns the same result but sufficiently obfuscates it behind input data sets that correlate with being black like a combination of zip code, name, and credit history such that we can say we're not racist because look, if you give a white guy the exact personal history and cv of a black guy, the system would deny him a home loan too! And then we can say bullshit like this and get away with it:

The system works

ty for typing what I wanted to say better than I was about to say it

computers are racist because we made them that way

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well I'm also giving machine learning and hardware development the absolute full benefit of the doubt here

They also just do poo poo like training data sets with one black guy out of fifty thousand records because racism, never test the IR scanners to see if they can differentiate a black guy from background noise because racism, and get ground truth data annotation done by a team of racists because of racism. A lot of racism is just being white and lazy and having no reason to be otherwise.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah that pretty well nails it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

The fundamental problem with expecting machine learning that predicts any economic outcome or behavior to not be racist-by-default is that unless you put your thumb on the scale affirmative action style, it's just going to print out ream after ream of paper that says "our society is racist and black/brown/indigenous people individually suffer predictably and consistently worse outcomes as a result." You can't ~the data~ your way out of living in a demon cracker nation.

But critically, it's entirely possible to defend yourself legally while you continue to discriminate if you launder it behind math that carefully avoids race but does the exact same poo poo by proxy.

The radiology AI example is phenomenal precisely because it manages to be racist without predicting any economic outcome or behavior. It perfectly manages to align its racism with self assessed ethnicity rather than genetic markers and do so even when provided intentionally junk data from which it should not be able to make any conclusions

AI is absolutely used to launder racism directly over and over again in other cases but even when it isn't or is being deliberately controlled for it ends up being racist anyway

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

On reflection publishing racism.exe was not in line with our company values and we here at united fruit...

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

The radiology AI example is phenomenal precisely because it manages to be racist without predicting any economic outcome or behavior. It perfectly manages to align its racism with self assessed ethnicity rather than genetic markers and do so even when provided intentionally junk data from which it should not be able to make any conclusions

AI is absolutely used to launder racism directly over and over again in other cases but even when it isn't or is being deliberately controlled for it ends up being racist anyway

astonishing, it can actually tell race by tiddy images alone

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

buddy,
:nws:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872665

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cash value what now?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Premium entree fee lmao

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cash value what now?

that’s an relic of various old state laws that regulated a kind of customer loyalty program called “trading stamp books”, where you’d get strips of paper stamps of various denominations based on how much money you spent, and you could paste them into notebooks and redeem them for rewards once you filled a book, the precursor to credit card reward points or airline miles

many states required that the stamps have a nominal cash value so that someone could exchange them for money instead of a new cooking pot or a transistor radio or whatever, and most of those states’ laws have a broad enough definition of trading stamp that regular coupons are included too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

that’s an relic of various old state laws that regulated a kind of customer loyalty program called “trading stamp books”, where you’d get strips of paper stamps of various denominations based on how much money you spent, and you could paste them into notebooks and redeem them for rewards once you filled a book, the precursor to credit card reward points or airline miles

many states required that the stamps have a nominal cash value so that someone could exchange them for money instead of a new cooking pot or a transistor radio or whatever, and most of those states’ laws have a broad enough definition of trading stamp that regular coupons are included too

Yeah literally every coupon I've seen for any grocery or restaurant or store has said cash value 1/100c

It's like a pointless joke now but if they leave it off you end up with a Pepsi caps harrier jet situation

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just mail your creditors your Arby's coupons. Only 10k coupons to the dollar.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DarkEuphoria posted:

ty for typing what I wanted to say better than I was about to say it

computers are racist because we made them that way

did you read the article? we can’t reverse engineer the racism out of AI that looks exclusively at MRIs, obviously we made them that way but the problem is we don’t even understand how

when actively trying to make a not racist AI that looks at medical scans, we can’t

that’s a much bigger issue

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I think we can't engineer it out without people of color being devs. And cs ain't great at doing that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Lol America.

(My grandma used to shop at a chain that had trading stamps and she'd let me affix them to the booklet, which I thought was a fun activity because I was like four and kids are stupid.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

indigi posted:

did you read the article? we can’t reverse engineer the racism out of AI that looks exclusively at MRIs, obviously we made them that way but the problem is we don’t even understand how

when actively trying to make a not racist AI that looks at medical scans, we can’t

I don't think anyone here believes the solution is "just engineer the racism out", it's obviously "don't put a computer in charge of anything ever"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
No but you see, I am very smart, so my algorithm won't have this problem

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shame Boy posted:

Can't violate the three laws of robotics baked in to your positronic brain if you don't consider any non-white people to be humans because you were trained using a biased dataset!

Important to note that the event that triggered the Machine War, (B166-ER going rogue and killing its owner to prevent itself from being deactivated) didn't happen to a random person. It happened to a billionaire.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Important to note that the event that triggered the Machine War, (B166-ER going rogue and killing its owner to prevent itself from being deactivated) didn't happen to a random person. It happened to a billionaire.

Beerer did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

indigi posted:

Not... quite. We can't stop medical neural nets from "seeing" "race". This only becomes a problem if we train the neural nets to use this information in a problematic manner. Which is to say it is totally going to be a problem.