Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't the Fimir have a powerful empire before the Old Ones came?

If I recall correctly, yes.

Kind of interesting that all the pre-Old One people are lizards, and that the Old Ones initially made Lizardmen to be their drones/servants on this world, I always thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Night10194 posted:

If I recall correctly, yes.

Kind of interesting that all the pre-Old One people are lizards, and that the Old Ones initially made Lizardmen to be their drones/servants on this world, I always thought.

It's kind of weird, since the planet was much cooler before the Old Ones came, so why weren't they're mammalian/avian races instead?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Magic

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's kind of weird, since the planet was much cooler before the Old Ones came, so why weren't they're mammalian/avian races instead?

If the planet went through long periods of cold and intense periods of heat Lizards make sense in terms of being able to survive frozen and then wakeup when it's warm. Also Dragons are explicitly super magical anyway.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Volkmar and Morghur should be dead as well iirc.

Volkmar was imprisoned in a banner or something like that but was too angry to stay dead.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In a Gotrek and Felix book they get a vision of a bug empire with proto-human slaves, pre-old ones. It's a couple sentences and who knows if its canon, I choose to believe in bugs though

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Hunt11 posted:

Volkmar was imprisoned in a banner or something like that but was too angry to stay dead.

His first death he forced his soul back into his body through ANGRY SIGMAR FAITH, the second time Manfredd Von Carstein killed him he stayed dead.

But that was in End Times so who gives an F about it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Local pope too angry to die.

I liked the subplot in the RPG books about that, where a scheming rear end in a top hat slid into the job while Volkmar was temporarily indisposed but quickly found there was no way to politic around 'he literally ripped himself free from being displayed as a trophy from the banner of hell, then killed sixteen demons with his own broken chains and a chisel, he is too metal not to be pope', and set himself up as an antipope in Marienburg and started spreading (possibly reasonable) rumors that Volkmar had been brought back by Chaos or something. A nice little crisis of the church for people to deal with.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

In a Gotrek and Felix book they get a vision of a bug empire with proto-human slaves, pre-old ones. It's a couple sentences and who knows if its canon, I choose to believe in bugs though

Tyranids confirmed as the Pre-LC race.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's been on and off in the RPGs, which are all "canon" to an extent. It's also the basic explanation for why people fall that isn't just stupid awfulness evil bad guy. Road to hell and good intentions and all that

The best lore has always been in the RPGs and novels because they have always been about what makes people tick rather than excuses to slam armies into each other. And one of the things that makes the Warham Fantasy setting work is just how foundational both the RPG and even Blood Bowl (and the exuberance needed for football fans of any race) is.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Technically basically everyone died in the End Times except Sigmar and Archaon who were last seen punching eachother while reality imploded around them

Some of the people who died came back stronger from it though

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

neonchameleon posted:

The best lore has always been in the RPGs and novels because they have always been about what makes people tick rather than excuses to slam armies into each other.

Its a combo of that and the fact that the army books need to sell the fact that your chosen army is the toughest/meanest/spookiest faction out there, even your basic troops are the hardiest of warriors, you really did choose the best faction in the old world.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Charlz Guybon posted:

dinosaurs =/= lizards, they might have been warm blooded. Also its a made up fantasy world. also,

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Collapsing Farts posted:

Technically basically everyone died in the End Times except Sigmar and Archaon who were last seen punching eachother while reality imploded around them

Some of the people who died came back stronger from it though

yes, but TWWH2 is set in the period before the end times afaik

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Christ I hate reddit sometimes. The Cathay trailer drops and it's hype as hell, and yet somehow half the posts on the subreddit are people bitching that the Tzeentch Chaos Warriors that are riding magical flying surfboards are reskins. Just... how? How loving entitled can people be?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Christ I hate reddit sometimes. The Cathay trailer drops and it's hype as hell, and yet somehow half the posts on the subreddit are people bitching that the Tzeentch Chaos Warriors that are riding magical flying surfboards are reskins. Just... how? How loving entitled can people be?

In-loving-credibly. I wouldn't have noticed without someone pointing it out because who the gently caress looks THAT closely?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm just really glad the Cathayans have guns and stuff in addition to all the cool magic. I like the idea of them being another huge state that's been dealing with its own bullshit in parallel to the Empire.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why do you guys go hunting for online comments to be mad about?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Broken Cog posted:

I wasn't, I was checking the subreddit to look for the first run of fanart and memes - which are the other half of the posts right now. It was just striking to me that it took less than a day to transition from "this looks fun!" into "it's not enough!".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Night10194 posted:

I'm just really glad the Cathayans have guns and stuff in addition to all the cool magic. I like the idea of them being another huge state that's been dealing with its own bullshit in parallel to the Empire.

If Cathay is an Empire parallel I want the Brettonia parallel

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Let's make Ind all tiger cavalry.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ravenfood posted:

Tigermen riding tigers! I can get behind that idea.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ravenfood posted:

As long as there's some kind of Gurkha analog

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

orangelex44 posted:

I wasn't, I was checking the subreddit to look for the first run of fanart and memes - which are the other half of the posts right now. It was just striking to me that it took less than a day to transition from "this looks fun!" into "it's not enough!".

You'll always find someone mad about something, better to just let them seethe in peace and not worry about them imo

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder what they will do with Kairos as while they have not officially announced him the Tzeentch greater demon in the trailer had a very distinctive second head.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the traditional pairings of enemies are khorne vs slaanesh (repressed gay vs liberated gay) and nurgle vs tzeentch (slob gay vs theatre gay)

I've never heard this interpretation before, but I like it. The four species of gay!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I do wonder what they will do with Kairos as while they have not officially announced him the Tzeentch greater demon in the trailer had a very distinctive second head.

hey lower your voice i told it no one would notice

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Broken Cog posted:

Too much time on the internet, not enough time out among trees.

I for one am very happy about everything that WH3 shows so far. This is going to revolutionize the already great game we got so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Too much time on the internet, not enough time out among trees.

Sounds like elf talk to me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

We can only hope.

The Warhammer 3 Map will most likely exclude Ind anyways, as well as southern and eastern Cathay. Which makes me even more curious what the Immortal Empires map looks like.
What? Why do you think this? Where would new Cathay LLs go, then? Unless the map is extremely long east to west yet short north-to-south it makes no sense for half of Cathay to not be there.

Jarvisi posted:

Why only two legendary lords for Cathay? I thought they said all factions would get four out the gate from now on.
Other games have launched with 4 factions; this one is launching with at least 6. As someone else said, there are 9 LLs on launch; two each for Kislev and Cathay plus one each for the four Chaos factions, plus one more semi-unknown. Didnt WH2 launch with 4 factions and 3 LLs each?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As long as there's some kind of Gurkha analog

There better be rhino cavalry.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orangelex44 posted:

Not specifically about the diskriders, but Indypride did gripe that the Tzeetch Chosen were basically using the same models as regular ones at the end of his video, compared to Khorne's unique ones so that's probably where the complaints on reddit are coming from.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? Why do you think this? Where would new Cathay LLs go, then? Unless the map is extremely long east to west yet short north-to-south it makes no sense for half of Cathay to not be there.

Other games have launched with 4 factions; this one is launching with at least 6. As someone else said, there are 9 LLs on launch; two each for Kislev and Cathay plus one each for the four Chaos factions, plus one more semi-unknown. Didnt WH2 launch with 4 factions and 3 LLs each?

WH2 launched with 4 factions and 2 LLs each, in mostly the same format as WH1, with one caster and one combat lord each.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Still holding out for my insane pipe dream of an actually globe-shaped map for Immortal Empires

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I for one hope new Cathay LLs don't go to Cathay. Perhaps there can be another one in Eastern Cathay or so, but I hope the other three (going by WH2 release races) LLs start somewhere far away so that you have more variety in enemies.

As for why the map perhaps/probably excludes southern Cathay, the focus is clearly the fight with the Chaos forces in the north, you don't need to extend your map too far south for that. Not to mention that this would force CA to put like the dawi, Drycha, Vampire Counts, etc. on the WH3 map, which I think they will try to avoid. There would be no/little reason to not have them playable in that case, and I think they want people to focus on the new WH3 races.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Still holding out for my insane pipe dream of an actually globe-shaped map for Immortal Empires

I would instantly preorder WH3 if they announced a globe-shaped map for Immortal Empires, even though my general policy is "never preorder games anymore".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vagabong posted:

Its a combo of that and the fact that the army books need to sell the fact that your chosen army is the toughest/meanest/spookiest faction out there, even your basic troops are the hardiest of warriors, you really did choose the best faction in the old world.

Unless you play Imperial Guard, in which case it's all about glorious last stands and Dying For The Emprah™

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This implies that Nippon with actually be a Joseon Korea expy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I am sure that all of Cathay will be on the map, there will be at least a corner of Nippon and Ind. I think it’s pretty funny, but also totally logical, that at least one Cathayan unit (jezzails) is “reverse engineered” Skaven. I bet we will eventually see some kind of human ninjas that work like gutter runners.

If we have a lady of the north and a lord of the west, it suggests to me at least we’ll have people in charge of the south and east as well. Probably the center, too, eventually.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Listen, cathay isn't chorfs so I am not excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do hope if GW and CA continue coming up with new races they aren't all human tho.