Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Honestly I expect it will have a ladder cuz that's clearly one of the like 3 things they need for the game to not flop and even speaking as a cynic I don't think they'd be that dumb. But every day it is not in after release is like a 50% lower chance it ever gets a ladder.

That said, latest thing I've heard officially is no ladder on release, plans for one to be announced after release/ "soon"

Ah ok, really weird that they need extra time to implement it but that's better than nothing. I guess I'll do a slow casual playthrough to get my nostalgia fix and then hopefully by the time I'm done we'll have ladder functionality.

But yeah that doesn't really bode well in terms of post-launch support lol. Not gonna keep my fingers crossed, but as you said it would be extremely dumb not to add it.

edit: v - that makes sense!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ah ok, really weird that they need extra time to implement it but that's better than nothing. I guess I'll do a slow casual playthrough to get my nostalgia fix and then hopefully by the time I'm done we'll have ladder functionality.

But yeah that doesn't really bode well in terms of post-launch support lol. Not gonna keep my fingers crossed, but as you said it would be extremely dumb not to add it.

They don't want the ladder to be affected by stability issues or bugs at launch, it's probably not that they need more time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Why have two separate tracts, ladder vs non-ladder, start completely fresh at launch? Just call the launch season 1 and open up the ladder later with a fresh reset.

It's been a while since I played official d2, does their ladder work like d3 seasons? After the season, everything gets dumped to non-season?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

It's been a while since I played official d2, does their ladder work like d3 seasons? After the season, everything gets dumped to non-season?

Ya that’s how it works. It used to be that D2 ladder was the only place you could get some items including the better runewords. Not the case in D2R

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you aren’t poopsocking your way to 99 then ladder only has one appeal: a fresh game economy (because they’ve already said all previously ladder-exclusive content like some runewords and the Ubers will be available on non-ladder)

So you don’t need a ladder at launch because it’s a fresh economy anyway.

And if you are eager to climb a list and attempt world first stuff, then you can use the launch period as scouting/warm up time to re-familiarize yourself with the game before your nerd-race begins in a few weeks/months. And be grateful that it serves as a stress test for the servers so you aren’t raging at disconnects when the ladder actually begins.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

crondaily posted:

I'd imagine they'll hold off on ladder till they get multiplayer "burned in." This way the first D2:R ladder won't be met with tons of whiners.

Every hour the ladder isn't out is another hour bot makers have to get bots running on it. It's already inevitably going to be a botfest after the first week and most of the existing d2 meta is largely built around botting.

IMO they need to get a ladder up as soon as humanly possible, like within a day or two of launch or that ship will have basically sailed. Remasters don't typically have legs past a week or two beyond the people who were already playing.

alg posted:

They don't want the ladder to be affected by stability issues or bugs at launch, it's probably not that they need more time.

Giving them full benefit of the doubt: they're worried about unintended exploits and especially duping and will be hoping that any potential exploits are found and reported in the first day or two. Particularly since D2R's battle.net reworks have already introduced new duping methods that came to light during the betas.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What's the best hardcore duo build? Does anything work really well together?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What's the best hardcore duo build? Does anything work really well together?

I feel like either a paladin or a Necro or a druid with whatever dps class you choose.

Necros probably the best. Lots of tanks and curses are so good. But druid can do tanks and HP with the oak spirit

For pure damage sorc / paladin probably. But doesn't really do much for survival.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've never had the inclination to play hardcore but I would think necro for the meatshields + curses and sorc for the damage

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

Why have two separate tracts, ladder vs non-ladder, start completely fresh at launch? Just call the launch season 1 and open up the ladder later with a fresh reset.

because no one plays non-ladder. It's a retirement home & a place to pvp. D2R has changed pvp as we know it by making it so weapon switching doesn't cancel animations. That & removing adding sockets to ethereal armor through cube increasing def are the two most "why would you ever do this?" changes.

The requirements for queuing specific games on console are also a total wtf because it seems like a system designed by a product person who has never played the game before. Right down to having no trade game type.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A significant reason why "no one plays non-ladder" was because a bunch of the best runewords weren't available on non-ladder. I know that's the reason I played ladder with friends whenever we'd return to the game for a couple months every few years. Now with that incentive gone, we'll just play non-ladder because we don't care about the ranking/race aspect.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bawfuls posted:

A significant reason why "no one plays non-ladder" was because a bunch of the best runewords weren't available on non-ladder. I know that's the reason I played ladder with friends whenever we'd return to the game for a couple months every few years. Now with that incentive gone, we'll just play non-ladder because we don't care about the ranking/race aspect.
The runewords were readily available there by just trading for them. NL economy is mega messed up though.

The main point of ladder is a fresh start & fresh economy & lots of active players. Almost no one plays ladder to rank/race. It's more like hey reset is happening play d2 again until you burnout.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khorne posted:

because no one plays non-ladder. It's a retirement home & a place to pvp.

There won't be any old characters to retire at launch and there won't be items of ye olden days to make perfect pvp sets from. Everyone starts fresh. From a gameplay perspective, it's no different than a fresh ladder reset since it has all the cool ladder only stuff.

I'm saying having a ladder vs non ladder is completely pointless at launch. Nonladder needs old, retired ladder characters and loot to create the nonladder experience. That won't exist until people play the game. So it's basically a ladder only mode at the start.

Who knows if we'll get ladder resets though. Personally, I hope we do and we get seasonal gimmicks like d3.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol it's not 'basically a ladder' when you don't have the singular thing that makes it a ladder: an actual ladder

To be clear: the reason why people are concerned or skeptical here is because wc3 released with a similar promise 'no ladder on launch, will be added in the days following release'

Two years later wc3 still does not have a ladder.

It's also concerning because it's a feature that d2 had that apparently is somehow disappearing from d2r, which blizzard had suggested would not be happening again after the wc3r debacle.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

There won't be any old characters to retire at launch and there won't be items of ye olden days to make perfect pvp sets from. Everyone starts fresh. From a gameplay perspective, it's no different than a fresh ladder reset since it has all the cool ladder only stuff.

I'm saying having a ladder vs non ladder is completely pointless at launch. Nonladder needs old, retired ladder characters and loot to create the nonladder experience. That won't exist until people play the game. So it's basically a ladder only mode at the start.

Who knows if we'll get ladder resets though. Personally, I hope we do and we get seasonal gimmicks like d3.
To be clear, no ladder is fine on launch. Provided they actually deliver a reasonable system in a reasonable amount of time. My point was more once ladder comes out there's almost no incentive to play nonladder even if you are a casual player.

Maybe if they have/add an achievement system and have grail stuff like slashdiablo has we might see a vibrant NL community, but as far as I know they haven't announced anything like that. It's mildly unsettling that pservers still have a better feature set & didn't remove things the community likes.

Not launching with a ladder if they had it coded and ready is fine. Everyone is under the impression that they haven't even really started working on a ladder system yet which isn't a great sign given the drastic overhauls to bnet, it existing on various systems, wc3, etc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khorne posted:

To be clear, no ladder is fine on launch. Provided they actually deliver a reasonable system in a reasonable amount of time. My point was more once ladder comes out there's almost no incentive to play nonladder even if you are a casual player.

Maybe if they have/add an achievement system and have grail stuff like slashdiablo has we might see a vibrant NL community, but as far as I know they haven't announced anything like that. It's mildly unsettling that pservers still have a better feature set & didn't remove things the community likes.

Not launching with a ladder if they had it coded and ready is fine. Everyone is under the impression that they haven't even really started working on a ladder system yet which isn't a great sign given the drastic overhauls to bnet, it existing on various systems, wc3, etc.

I'm think it'll go one two ways. First one's a complete tire fire where they put out the game then do nothing after. No ladder resets or seasons or anything to keep it fresh. Most of us burn out in a couple months and never come back. Then D4 comes out in 2031.

Other way is just routine resets. Maybe we'll get fixes or new stuff but not likely. Ideally, they'd do the d3 model and spice things up with seasonal gimmicks. D2s a lot slower so resets should be further apart. At least as a filthy casual gamer dad I'd appreciate the d3 seasonal model.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm playing on Hell difficulty for the first time. Could someone tell me how the Stone of Jordan /Diablo clone deal works? I'm probably a bit under leveled for Hell anyway, but it'd be nice to know what I'm doing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Obviously anything could happen and it sounds like WC3 was really bad, but they have already talked about ladders and showed screenshots.

https://www.dexerto.com/diablo/how-diablo-2-resurrecteds-ladder-system-works-rotation-runewords-guide-1602365/

I feel like they won't want to gently caress this up with D4 on the horizon and Diablo 2 being a much more iconic game than WC3

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Appears to be a mockup and I see no new other new info in that, the article is mostly just recapping what a ladder is in current d2? The D2 lead said 'We want to make sure the game is stable and ready for ladder before we turn that on. So it won't be there for launch but will come shortly after once everything settles down' which is all that is out there about a d2r ladder afaik.

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm think it'll go one two ways. First one's a complete tire fire where they put out the game then do nothing after. No ladder resets or seasons or anything to keep it fresh. Most of us burn out in a couple months and never come back. Then D4 comes out in 2031.

Other way is just routine resets. Maybe we'll get fixes or new stuff but not likely. Ideally, they'd do the d3 model and spice things up with seasonal gimmicks. D2s a lot slower so resets should be further apart. At least as a filthy casual gamer dad I'd appreciate the d3 seasonal model.

Yeah best case is you get something basically like scbw:r, which was a solid remaster (albeit they have stopped updating the ladder on that for pretty much all of 2021). Still a year or two of support and seasons would be enough to please pretty much everyone. My earnest impression is that the people working on it very much want it to be this. Worst case, you get the wc3r experience where the team is making promises to keep improving it up to the day of release and then the people who worked on it get fired and the entire team is disbanded a couple weeks later.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 15, 2021

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

To be clear: the reason why people are concerned or skeptical here is because wc3 released with a similar promise 'no ladder on launch, will be added in the days following release'

Two years later wc3 still does not have a ladder.

:roflolmao:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Without any new content it's kind of a hard sell.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want to cancel my preorder cause everything you're saying is right and it is another lazy AoE2HD situation (ok not that bad) but I know it'll only ever go on sale for like 40 cents off

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

I want to cancel my preorder cause everything you're saying is right and it is another lazy AoE2HD situation (ok not that bad) but I know it'll only ever go on sale for like 40 cents off

I didn't preorder as I never do (been burned too many times), but the beta was great and the offline is good enough of an experience with the QoL improvements. Last year using PlugY I solo offline built an infinity and enigma, farmed Ubers and dclone, and played through the whole game on HC without using shared stash. Now they're improving the graphics while keeping the gameplay the same? I'm in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

codo27 posted:

Seems like a weird comparison because this one has at least had several expansions since it released and there's no indication or guarantee you're going to get any of that with D2R. I don't remember why people didn't like it but I had fun playing a few games with a friend before forgetting about it again. :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like a weird comparison because this one has at least had several expansions since it released and there's no indication or guarantee you're going to get any of that with D2R. I don't remember why people didn't like it but I had fun playing a few games with a friend before forgetting about it again. :shrug:

AOE 2 HD is different from AOE 2 Definitive Edition.

The latter is excellent value, but the earlier HD re-release was correctly more of a D2R scenario where the main draw was just being able to buy the game commercially again without needing to :filez: it and not having to jump through any compatibility hoops

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They did a "HD" version in 2013 which was extremely, extremely low effort. Then they turn around and do a proper HD upscale last year or whenever that was and there was a window in which people that were duped into buying the previous one could get a discount on the new one, but it wasn't nearly generous enough for me to give in

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I think the sheer amount of asset creation that went into completely revamping the look of a previously sprite based game tells me they're open to doing more and cooler poo poo with it in the future. Although it does raise questions about blizzard competing with itself in regards to diablo 4. Alternately, make cool diablo 2 poo poo and be comfortable making d4 a 2024/5 release or whatever.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
D2R seems solid. If they continue supporting it and growing its feature set it will be pretty great. Some of the choices, like disabling tcp/ip, are real disappointing.

codo27 posted:

They did a "HD" version in 2013 which was extremely, extremely low effort. Then they turn around and do a proper HD upscale last year or whenever that was and there was a window in which people that were duped into buying the previous one could get a discount on the new one, but it wasn't nearly generous enough for me to give in
It wasn't low effort. It cleaned up lots of things, added modern features, and provided an official way to play online again. Admittedly voobly was still more popular with the community. They also released multiple new expansions through HD that were adopted on voobly & included in DE once it came out.

DE so far has less new content than HD but DE is certainly a higher effort project. It is a higher effort project because of how successful HD & all of HD's changes were. There's clearly someone passionate about AoE2 behind all of the AoE2 extra content. AoE3 and especially AoE1 didn't receive nearly as much love in their DE releases.

External Organs posted:

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I think the sheer amount of asset creation that went into completely revamping the look of a previously sprite based game tells me they're open to doing more and cooler poo poo with it in the future. Although it does raise questions about blizzard competing with itself in regards to diablo 4. Alternately, make cool diablo 2 poo poo and be comfortable making d4 a 2024/5 release or whatever.
D2 won't really compete with D4. People are going to burn out in day/weeks/maybe a few months. They'll come back for ladder resets. It will have the same trajectory as any other ARPG.

D2R may be used as a marketing and good faith builder for D4. Provided ActiBlizzard leadership doesn't axe its support.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 15, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've not followed D2:R too much and I need to know if general drop rate, or at least high tier runes, have been changed or improved in any way over the original. I've been looking for this answer on other sites and couldn't find anything reliably aside from the "no changes" crew flaming wars. Honestly, I think I can't stomach playing a remastered D2 with the same lovely loot treadmill like in the old days without bots or duping.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

I've not followed D2:R too much and I need to know if general drop rate, or at least high tier runes, have been changed or improved in any way over the original. I've been looking for this answer on other sites and couldn't find anything reliably aside from the "no changes" crew flaming wars. Honestly, I think I can't stomach playing a remastered D2 with the same lovely loot treadmill like in the old days without bots or duping.

it's the same, but no duping, so much much lower availability of rare stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the drop rate has not changed, but "has not changed" has to be placed within the context of improvements to farming and drop rates that have been made to Diablo 2 since whenever it was you last took a look at it

Countess runs can make quite a number of runes within reach, for example

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I mean Diablo 4 is realistically probably at least 2 or 3 years away, likely more, so I doubt D2:R would be competing with it in any real sense even if they did add new content eventually. They're still updating WoW Classic and that doesn't seem to be eating into their regular WoW market, and hell there's an entire generation of gamers now who never played D2 back in the day and have zero nostalgia for it. Wouldn't surprise me if this remaster gets a huge surge of initial players and then rapidly cools off to a playerbase similar to D3 once everyone gets their fix (much less if they actually don't add ladders pretty quickly after launch).

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Angry Lobster posted:

I plan on adjusting my single player drop rates to nodrop=0 for items. I may tinker with rune drop rates as well.

Will actually probably hold off on starting until I make sure it can be done.

I'm in my 30s with a kid on the way, I ain't got time for this low % poo poo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Glad waffle was not forced to delay their birthday bc of the pandemic. Cheers!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the drop rate has not changed, but "has not changed" has to be placed within the context of improvements to farming and drop rates that have been made to Diablo 2 since whenever it was you last took a look at it

For some context on this:

ex: Ber is ~10x more likely to drop than it was in patch 1.12

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

alg posted:

it's the same, but no duping, so much much lower availability of rare stuff.

Welp

gradenko_2000 posted:

You may be right, I mean, I haven't played this game in fourteen years so maybe the current experience it's not as miserable as it was.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
High runes remain incredibly hard to reliably get your hands on via drops and you can play the game full time for literally months without getting a ber drop. gradenko is correct that the current state of things is that you will eventually see a high rune or two if you play a lot, as opposed to previously where you would have to farm for a couple of years like it was literally a job to get multiple legit high rune drops.

Lowkey changing high rune drop rates into something not-insane is like top 3 in my list of 'changes to make d2 a great stand alone game' and despite some rumblings that the d2r teams were at least aware of it, I've heard nothing concrete about it.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 15, 2021

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
From what I have read, Diablo 2 Resurrected is primarily being worked on by Vicarious Visions (under Blizzard) and are not the same group that did the WC3 remaster. Vicarious also did the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake which was really well done. I get the concern based on how lovely the WC3 remake was but I have a bit more confidence in this group to make sure D2R is done right.

I am not too concerned about ladder not being available on day one. But I think they should have at least given us a target date for when ladder would be released. I think that would have been the right move to address concerns people have based on WC3.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MrSargent posted:

From what I have read, Diablo 2 Resurrected is primarily being worked on by Vicarious Visions (under Blizzard) and are not the same group that did the WC3 remaster. Vicarious also did the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake which was really well done.

Oh, that's good to hear, I thought the THPS remake was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

D2R is exactly what I’d expect and hope it would be. It’s just Diablo 2 again with some minor improvements. I loving love Diablo 2, never got into the botting or online trading poo poo. I just play it and have a good time. And that’s all it needs to be.