Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Mookie is definitely the type of DM who 100% railroads the party into a dungeon where the only way out is giving a kobold a handy (CON check) so I don't think that's the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Come on man…

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah I feel like mookie would also be the kind of DM that has his own OCs in the game and gets annoyed if the players dont like them/pay enough/the right kind of attention to them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we already know what happens when d&d and mookie get mixed together. (he doesnt get invited back)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay this is bothering the hell out of me, I know it's nitpicky but I can't help it.

A lake is a landlocked body of water. There are some pretty big lakes, the Great Lakes in the US, and the Caspian Sea is also technically a lake, the biggest one by size. However, it would not take hours to fly over it. If the lake really is that enormous that it takes hours to fly across it, how is it still a lake? I know that in theory as long as it was surrounded by land on all sides it would still qualify as a lake but if it's so big it takes hours to fly across it I'm pretty sure most people would consider it an ocean.

Again, nitpicky but it feels like just another way that Mookie puts no thought into his worldbuilding. He just thought "It would be cool to have a lake that's really big" but it doesn't really make sense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This takes him like 15 minutes to poo poo out. Maybe even less because of reusing the same art over and over again

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay this is bothering the hell out of me, I know it's nitpicky but I can't help it.

A lake is a landlocked body of water. There are some pretty big lakes, the Great Lakes in the US, and the Caspian Sea is also technically a lake, the biggest one by size. However, it would not take hours to fly over it. If the lake really is that enormous that it takes hours to fly across it, how is it still a lake? I know that in theory as long as it was surrounded by land on all sides it would still qualify as a lake but if it's so big it takes hours to fly across it I'm pretty sure most people would consider it an ocean.

Again, nitpicky but it feels like just another way that Mookie puts no thought into his worldbuilding. He just thought "It would be cool to have a lake that's really big" but it doesn't really make sense.

Well going by this image

It seems to me that the lake isnt very wide, its just very long and they're traveling along it length ways. We also dont know the speed of the ship, fuckin thing could be going 10mph and the lake is 40 miles long. Real world lakes can easily be hundreds of miles long but sort of narrow, as they're basically just permanently flooded stretches of a river's course

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And Mookie wonders why his Twitter engagement is so low... This lazy poo poo is inexcusable.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
assuming the lake looks like this

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

After weeks, I am still just completely gobsmacked that he made a big thing about giving the Ink Witch a name that reflected her true personality; came up with a list of girl’s names, vaguely suggestive verbs, and ink puns; and then decided Ink Witch was the best name for her after all.

If I ever asked someone to tell me what they like about my personality, and they say “I really like that you have a career as a [redacted]”, then I have made terrible choices in my friends or in how I live.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

What a good use of several pages

Several hundred pages

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Graciously embracing my friends after they cristen me "unmedicated NEET"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TheHan posted:

Come on man…

DO SOMETHING!!!

GOD!!!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Legacy has spent so much time on pages where nothing happens that nothing happening has now become the actual plot.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This lake looks an awful lot like a river.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To give him some wiggle room, the two oldest freshwater lakes in the real world are 395 miles and 418 miles long if you go from end to end.

It somewhat raises the question of whether their destination is really on the lake or if he just wanted an excuse to draw loving nothing for three months, however.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

"This is so boring" said the author, through his character, about the story he was creating, to himself.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I am, however, genuinely interested in whether this entire chapter is going to be about Snout being bored on a long car trip, and just how long it's going to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they're going to have to stop to barf soon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

To give him some wiggle room, the two oldest freshwater lakes in the real world are 395 miles and 418 miles long if you go from end to end.

It somewhat raises the question of whether their destination is really on the lake or if he just wanted an excuse to draw loving nothing for three months, however.

That wiggle room tightens up real fast when you remember the ship they’re in is capable of ludicrous speeds

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's also worth pointing out that those lakes are around 45 miles wide, whereas we've now had three pages in a row in which both shores of this lake are clearly visible, even from the ground.

That first page where they flew out over what was seemingly indistinguishable from an ocean was the correct sense of scale, but it lasted all of two pages. I imagine even Mookie realized that having an entire chapter of recap and travel sequence take place over a featureless body of water would be too much.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 15, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I genuinely didn't think this was still supposed to be the lake. I thought it was now riverlands.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whats everyone else doing in the ship that has no seats while Snout is writing? Sleeping? Standing around all bored? Having a naked cuddle session?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I like to imagine they just stand in the T-pose until activated

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This is definitely the most extreme example of everyone else disappearing until they're needed.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just crash the ship, I don't give a poo poo anymore

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roman Reigns posted:

I don't give a poo poo anymore

Nor does Mookie

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty sure it's this.

The aimless-ness of all this is pretty comical, in all honesty.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emrikol posted:

This is definitely the most extreme example of everyone else disappearing until they're needed.
Snout is in a small room with... Four? other people.

And he can't think of anything to do.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The fact that there are 3 other characters on board that Snout could be talking to, learning more about, deepening these shallow bonds...and instead Mookie has Snout sitting in the corner writing about how he's bored. Why even make this comic.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

TheHan posted:

That wiggle room tightens up real fast when you remember the ship they’re in is capable of ludicrous speeds

Huh. that's actually pretty well drawn and shows off the sense of speed and wind well. it's good to know he can in fact do better and is choosing not to, now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheHan posted:

The fact that there are 3 other characters on board that Snout could be talking to, learning more about, deepening these shallow bonds...and instead Mookie has Snout sitting in the corner writing about how he's bored. Why even make this comic.

They're all doing important and interesting things that we'll find out about later in the most boring way possible after Snout's done moping that they don't involve him.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Goddamn I miss old snout so much

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mookie has no idea where they're going or why, so he's buying time until he thinks of something and his characters are bitching at him about it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Looking forward to the arc where a different booth ruins Snout's con experience

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to his blog post, he seemed to like the convention overall because so many people told him what a good boy he is.

quote:

Without the possibility of casual hugs or even handshakes, affection had to be expressed vocally, making for an abundance of heartfelt moments.

And what heartfelt moments they were. I received more expressions of love than I was expecting, both in words and tokens of appreciation! Many folks told me they missed me, with some even going so far as to call my hosting of the Cosplay Death Match “the heart and soul of ConnectiCon.” There was the kind gift of Star Power fan art. There was the young lady who gifted me a copy of her novel because an old panel talk of mine inspired her to complete it. There was another young lady who became so inspired by the very sight of an independent comic artist selling their work that she felt confident enough to pursue her own art again. There was the young man who found solace from his social anxieties in the wild freedom of the Cosplay Death Match. I could go on and on. The abundance of love was food for my starving soul.

Then there was the Cosplay Death Match, the event I host every year that’s become not only the main event of ConnectiCon, but arguably the heart and soul of the show.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Emrikol posted:

As a reminder, this is what the seating capacity of the Ink Ship looks like:

...except now there are four people in there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, the others are off screen and nothing off screen exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The entire chapter is going to be the equivalent of an SNES-era JRPG conversation where it's just a static sprite repeatedly saying "..." because Mookie can't think of any other way to depict the passage of time.