Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Dave posted:

Fighting the muscle memory of where the url bar is located when using ios15 is one of life’s greatest challenges.

Fortunately there’s a setting that allows you to revert to the top bar if you want. (Settings -> Safari -> switch tab bar to single tab.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Is AppleCare generally recommended?

Buying an iPhone 12 Mini for my wife and neither of us have ever owned an iPhone before. We use AT&T prepaid for our carrier and don't normally purchase any insurance on our devices.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

frosteh posted:

Buying an iPhone 12 Mini for my wife and neither of us have ever owned an iPhone before. We use AT&T prepaid for our carrier and don't normally purchase any insurance on our devices.

if you're getting the 12 mini you definitely want applecare for when the battery craters

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

frosteh posted:

I’ve never purchased it, personally. Depends how often you drop your phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

frosteh posted:

Insurance in general is setup to where you overpay for what you get. The question is whether you are ok with potentially having to shell out $700 for another one. Price versus risk.

I don’t get insurance personally and keep a bit extra in savings so that I save the monthly but also don’t get crushed if something happens.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

frosteh posted:

I’ve never bought it and have never regretted it over multiple iPads, iPhones, and MacBooks. Ymmv like anything but I’ve found the durability and longevity of Apple products to be extremely good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If battery replacement is your only concern, it's not really worth it. It's only $69, which is less than you'll pay on AC+, however, screen replacement is certainly worth it, as is general warranty coverage. I just got my 11 Pro replaced for a failed FaceID module, which was nice since it means I also got a brand new battery.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

If you’re like me and go with a naked phone it can be a good idea, and you can always go month to month now if you want to avoid the full 2 year commitment. As was said, the 12 mini has a smaller battery, which means more charge cycles used, which means shorter lifespan.

I also get it, and have used it on my iPad Pros- 49 bucks to replace vs iPad repair prices is solid investment even if iPads don’t typically travel as much as phones. Its also the only way to do an iPad express replacement if you want to go that route. It’s not a great deal for Watches unless you often run the risk of banging into things during an average day and I’d put it in the rip off category for AirPods, Apple TV and the like.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

If battery replacement is your only concern, it's not really worth it. It's only $69, which is less than you'll pay on AC+, however, screen replacement is certainly worth it, as is general warranty coverage. I just got my 11 Pro replaced for a failed FaceID module, which was nice since it means I also got a brand new battery.

She's usually careful with her devices and this phone will definitely have a case and screen protector. My main concern, after reading the responses, is now the battery. I wonder if just spending an extra $100 for the 13 mini (which will also give her another 64gb of storage), would be a better use of money than buying a 12 mini with AC+. The Apple presentation yesterday seemed to be playing up better battery life for the new phones, but I guess no one will know for sure until they're actually released.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m thinking about Apple Care solely so I can join the no-case club :mrgw:

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I never use cases or screen protectors for my phones and the only time I ever used AppleCare is when I dropped my iPhone from an 18 inch height at the gym and got a minor scratch on the screen. Paid $30 to replace the screen to boost the resale value. It is nice to have the peace of mind for the theft and loss coverage, though.

That said, I've only ever owned one iPad, no screen protector, and scratched the screen somehow after a few months. Next iPad I get I'm definitely getting AppleCare.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

frosteh posted:

She's usually careful with her devices and this phone will definitely have a case and screen protector. My main concern, after reading the responses, is now the battery. I wonder if just spending an extra $100 for the 13 mini (which will also give her another 64gb of storage), would be a better use of money than buying a 12 mini with AC+. The Apple presentation yesterday seemed to be playing up better battery life for the new phones, but I guess no one will know for sure until they're actually released.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Get the 13 mini. Better battery, and if you want to keep it for awhile, it will get the most bang for your buck and improved cameras, and the extra 64 gigs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So here’s a new thing. FYI Verizon is opening up for online (and only online) preorder….before the preorder for the 13. Starting at 1201am Thursday, you can place an online preorder for whichever one, and if I’m ready it right it basically queues your pre order up where it does not go through Thursday, but then auto processes on regular pre order time which I believe is Friday at 8am eastern.

Sounds like Apple is doing it (I don’t know if they did this last year), def the first year Verizon is doing it.

I can’t do orders on Thursday, but again can always send a referral code.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think that AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss is worth it considering how expensive these phones can be. You can get insurance through your carrier usually, but making a claim is often a hassle whereas doing it through Apple directly is not. In the end, it costs about the same as other phone insurance, too.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

I’m thinking about Apple Care solely so I can join the no-case club :mrgw:

It’s so nice.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think that AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss is worth it considering how expensive these phones can be. You can get insurance through your carrier usually, but making a claim is often a hassle whereas doing it through Apple directly is not. In the end, it costs about the same as other phone insurance, too.

Just don't get your phone stolen or lost op

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sourdough posted:

Just don't get your phone stolen or lost op

:monocle:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
My iphone SE stays safe in my desk drawer :hai:

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Duckman2008 posted:

So here’s a new thing. FYI Verizon is opening up for online (and only online) preorder….before the preorder for the 13. Starting at 1201am Thursday, you can place an online preorder for whichever one, and if I’m ready it right it basically queues your pre order up where it does not go through Thursday, but then auto processes on regular pre order time which I believe is Friday at 8am eastern.

Sounds like Apple is doing it (I don’t know if they did this last year), def the first year Verizon is doing it.

I can’t do orders on Thursday, but again can always send a referral code.

I've only ever purchased new phones through Apple direct. If I were to do this, would I have the option of picking up at VZW on launch day, or would it be shipped to me? Any idea? Would be nice to avoid the presumed mayhem on Friday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, this is actually what I get now. Thankfully haven't had to use it, but I live in a city so thefts happen!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

manwithoutskin posted:

I've only ever purchased new phones through Apple direct. If I were to do this, would I have the option of picking up at VZW on launch day, or would it be shipped to me? Any idea? Would be nice to avoid the presumed mayhem on Friday.

Preorders with Verizon are ship only. In store pickup will be Thursday the 23rd or Friday the 24th.

So for the record, ordering tomorrow is not guaranteeing you will get the phone the 24. If Apple / Verizon have 0 12 pro max blues, for instance , there won’t be anything to ship.

What it should do is basically have your order auto go through so you don’t have to worry about ordering it Friday morning.

Pretty sure on this. It’s new , so there could be something I’m missing, but this is what I am pretty sure it would look like.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Re: applecare/insurance: just use a credit card with cell phone insurance to pay your cell phone bill if you're on one of the major carriers (edit: unless you're on Verizon, in which case you'd likely want a debit card with cell phone insurance instead in order to take advantage of their debit card autopay discount).

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I’m on the fence about AppleCare too. I’ve always bought it, never claimed on it over several MacBook Pros and iPhones. Have even dropped my iPhones a few times and only had to replace the screen protector, the case has prevented scratches etc.

I guess there’s no right answer, it’s always about one’s risk profile. I feel lot guaranteed the first time you go against your better judgement, one way or the other, is the time you’ll need it, or not use it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

~Coxy posted:

I'm not really sold on the Sierra Blue. The Pacific Blue is about as light as I would have wanted it. Might be boring and go black grey.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing honestly.

I got the black leather ('midnight') case so even if I don't like the light blue in person I can just cover it up lol.

Trying to hedge my bets, but it's also like - why get the pro if you're going to just get the boring color way lol.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm glad the Internet seems to hate the new blue so I don't necessarily feel like I have to get up at 5 in the morning to push butan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna stay up until midnight to push butan

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Re: applecare/insurance: just use a credit card with cell phone insurance to pay your cell phone bill if you're on one of the major carriers.

This is a good idea, but all 3 carriers do discounts if you do autopay with a debit card (on current plans), so it sucks but that can make it not worth it. Discount is usually $10 a line.

So yes, there are times when I am telling to someone and it’s like “yeah, you have 8 phones, so if you don’t do autopay it’s literally $800+ a year more.”

Edit: to clarify with verizon promos since i got a question or two, for the $800 trade in, it has to be an iphone X or newer on one of these plans:

Get More, Do More, Play More, Beyond or Above

if the plan is Start, Go , or the $110 "new verizon unlimited," it doesnt get the $800 trade in. but PM me and i can tell you if the new plans are better or not.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 15, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

enojy posted:

I'm glad the Internet seems to hate the new blue so I don't necessarily feel like I have to get up at 5 in the morning to push butan

That’s a scam. Everyone loves the blue. I’d still get up for supply chain issues and all that.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
That seems pretty solid.

So I could send in a broken X and get $800 towards a 13Pro? I'm assuming this comes as bill credits spread across 24-30months, not a lump sum credit right?

And what qualifies as a Premium Unlimited plan - Play more, Do more, etc? It would help if I refreshed the page

My current phone (11 Pro) is on a payment plan with a Play more plan until the first week of November. Do I need to wait until then to place my order for a 13 without forfeiting the discount on the 11 Pro?

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the Verizon iPhone 13 promo is $700 trade in towards the 13 mini, $800 towards the 13 or higher.

New and upgrades , it is uncommon upgrades get that high a trade in.

Trade in has to be iPhone X or higher, the 8 / 8+ and lower get a lower trade in of about $300-350. Damage does not affect trade in value.

Has to be on a “premium unlimited” plan.

If anyone has any specific questions post or PM. If anyone is ordering via Verizon online feel free to PM and I can send a referral code.

Falco fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 15, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Supply chain issues and all, should I pre-preorder NOW and do the trade-in over the internet or should I wait and do it all at the Apple store?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a good idea, but all 3 carriers do discounts if you do autopay with a debit card (on current plans), so it sucks but that can make it not worth it. Discount is usually $10 a line.

So yes, there are times when I am telling to someone and it’s like “yeah, you have 8 phones, so if you don’t do autopay it’s literally $800+ a year more.”

There are a few debit cards that offer the insurance, too, but wasn't it only Verizon that insisted on specifically using a debit card for an autopay discount?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

There are a few debit cards that offer the insurance, too, but wasn't it only Verizon that insisted on specifically using a debit card for an autopay discount?

Tbh, I can only speak 100% for Verizon since that’s who I work for, but I thought T-Mobile and ATT did the same thing. I absolutely could be wrong.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have my t-mobile bill set to auto pay using a credit card and I get the discount.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

T-mo does a $5 discount per line if you have autopay. I have 4 lines and $20 discount.

It's kinda misleading though because all their promo material pricing is with autopay discount already so it's more of a $5 tax per line to not have autopay if you're trying to compare pricing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

serebralassazin posted:

I have my t-mobile bill set to auto pay using a credit card and I get the discount.

Good to know, I didn’t know this one.

FCKGW posted:

T-mo does a $5 discount per line if you have autopay. I have 4 lines and $20 discount.

It's kinda misleading though because all their promo material pricing is with autopay discount already so it's more of a $5 tax per line to not have autopay if you're trying to compare pricing.

Yeah, they all def advertise with the lower autopay pricing and it def annoys me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just did the most recent iOS 15 public beta update. Can I remove the beta profile now? Or do I wait until actual release date?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pre pre saved the 13 pro in blue with AppleCare+

No case, on my motorcycle, Hail Satan.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just did the most recent iOS 15 public beta update. Can I remove the beta profile now? Or do I wait until actual release date?

Yeah after installing it, you can remove the profile.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's worth waiting until the public final is out just in case it's updated after the GM, just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there anywhere I can see how the Verizon iPhone 13 promotion works per iPhone?

Currently have my mother on my cell plan. I have the Do More Unlimited, every year I pay my phone off, sell it, get the new one, rinse, repeat. My mother has a XS Max. Is there anything in this promotion that would allow me to upgrade her phone? I see a lot of blogs online that mention that the promotion somehow nets people a free iPhone, but I don't see anything on Verizon itself, just that you can get *up to* $800, and then if you move from another network, they'll cover up to $500, which would mean Verizon gave you, at most, $1300 -- the price of some iPhones. However, I think a lot of this is like, fine-text, advertising, not-reallt-what-it-is speak.

Basically, anyone know of a site that has a chart or something?