Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

VOC/air quality regulations. Apparently you can still buy Behkol which is just fancy denatured alchohol for thinning shellac and more $$$ because ?????? Toluene and xylene (which are admittedly nastier chemicals)are also banned, as are I think most solvent based finishes.

Google says alcohol stoves were already banned :shrug:

I was talking about a year + ago to my daughter who lives in NoCal and said I came up with the brilliant idea of buying a 5th of Everclear and putting some in a little shpritz bottle to carry around for, uh precarious scenarios. She laughed and said that was illegal there. Turned out the liquor store here was sold out the first time because other jeniuses had the same notion.

Toluene and xylene should have been banned 50 years ago. loving okie painters closing off an entire house or commercial site and just fogging the air with that poo poo. Then going home to drink hard liquor every night to balance the buzz.

They're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Anybody have experience flattening end grain on a planer? I got sick of my scrap pile and sliced it up into cutting board stock. Mostly edge grain, but I had a bunch of 8/4 Cherry that I glued up endgrain style and they're very unflat.

I'm asking because of the second method here:

https://youtu.be/qbsx__rWpWE

But (1) screws and planer, (2) screws and MDF, and (3) MDF and planer are all ringing alarm bells somewhere between suicidally stupid and regular stupid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've run end-grain cutting boards directly through my thicknessing planer, which is a Ridgid 13" model. I can't say that it likes that job, but it can do it. Tearout is pretty heinous though, since it's so easy to split off a few fibers from the end of the board. Keep your passes super light, be prepared to sacrifice a half-inch or so off the end of the board, and remember that the blades on your planer are replaceable.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've run end-grain cutting boards directly through my thicknessing planer, which is a Ridgid 13" model. I can't say that it likes that job, but it can do it. Tearout is pretty heinous though, since it's so easy to split off a few fibers from the end of the board. Keep your passes super light, be prepared to sacrifice a half-inch or so off the end of the board, and remember that the blades on your planer are replaceable.

In this case, you want to glue or screw some scrap to the ends/edges so it becomes the sacrifice, rather than your valued workpiece. Then remove after done. I know screws in a planer is kind of a heartrending think, but This Is the Way.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Sono posted:

Anybody have experience flattening end grain on a planer? I got sick of my scrap pile and sliced it up into cutting board stock. Mostly edge grain, but I had a bunch of 8/4 Cherry that I glued up endgrain style and they're very unflat.

I'm asking because of the second method here:

https://youtu.be/qbsx__rWpWE

But (1) screws and planer, (2) screws and MDF, and (3) MDF and planer are all ringing alarm bells somewhere between suicidally stupid and regular stupid.

Screws would be dumb, but mostly just because poking holes in things isn't necessary. I glue a backer to the trailing edge and then glue a pair of runners along the edge, longer than the board at both ends (to take up any snipe from the planer). Very light passes until satisfied, and then just rip the runners and backer off on the table saw or bandsaw. Pine or whatever other soft or hardwood scraps are the way to go.

In terms of safety, endgrain boards can absolutely explode in a planer if done wrong. Good strategy and caution and it works well.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 15, 2021

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I tried to send an end grain cutting board on a light pass through a Ridgid planer, and it kicked it out the intake side and threw it across the room, while taking a divot out of the face I was trying to plane. The sacrificial side rails should give it something to grab, but it's going to be a lot of passes at 1/64" or so once you get to the bulk of the board. I use a block plane and belt sander now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The everkleer ban is annoying because it's a better base for liqueur than vodka.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there a creo hobbiest option? I haven't used it in a few years but I'm so sick of solidworks poo poo I'd give it a whirl at home if there was an option.

CREO is the Dwarf Fortress of parametric modeling

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I was able to send end-grain through my dewalt but it definitely chewed up either edge. All this discussion made me suddenly realize why so many of the guys with videos use drum sanders on the final step.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

heffray posted:

I tried to send an end grain cutting board on a light pass through a Ridgid planer, and it kicked it out the intake side and threw it across the room, while taking a divot out of the face I was trying to plane. The sacrificial side rails should give it something to grab, but it's going to be a lot of passes at 1/64" or so once you get to the bulk of the board. I use a block plane and belt sander now.

I'd go that route, or maybe make a slider router deal thingy. Still probably need a sander of some sort to clean that up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What kind of joinery do you guys think this is using?

https://www.analogueseduction.net/equipment-supports-and-hi-fi-racks/hi-fi-racks-podium-platform-equipment-wall-shelf.html

Supposed to take 90kg I am guessing it's not glues and screws, but perhaps a tenon & mortise joint, or a floating tenon...

I am interested in making something similar, but quite a bit wider and with two wall brackets. Figuring this could be a cool use for the pantorouter...

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

His Divine Shadow posted:

A bunch of steel

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

signalnoise posted:

I watched both

In my opinion t's basically a problem of the conclusion, as Stumpy Nubs said. The Sullivan video would work just fine if he changed his confusion from "it's not the grain that makes this joint fail, it's that it's a terrible joint design."

I bet the "end grain glue-ups are bad" rule came from people misunderstanding or forgetting context, just like this video will lead to people saying "end grain glue-ups are good!" and misunderstanding or forgetting context.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SimonSays posted:

A bunch of steel

That'd be my guess as well. Drill through the board and install a steel rod. It's a floating shelf.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/equipment-supports-and-hi-fi-racks/hi-fi-racks-podium-platform-equipment-wall-shelf.html

Supposed to take 90kg I am guessing it's not glues and screws, but perhaps a tenon & mortise joint, or a floating tenon...

I am interested in making something similar, but quite a bit wider and with two wall brackets. Figuring this could be a cool use for the pantorouter...

230mm x 250mm (approx 8.5" x 10") supporting 90kg is kinda crazy unless you're going to stack barbell plates on it. But yeah, I'd go with a steel T-bracket wrapped in the wall part and tenoned into the shelf.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

230mm x 250mm (approx 8.5" x 10") supporting 90kg is kinda crazy unless you're going to stack barbell plates on it. But yeah, I'd go with a steel T-bracket wrapped in the wall part and tenoned into the shelf.

Would you want to put a $4000 speaker on something that wasn't absolutely going to hold it up without even coming close to failing? I know I wouldn't. Audiophiles are super particular too for many reasons and I am happy to listen to just about anything on their systems. The real trick is installing it properly onto the wall at that point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SimonSays posted:

A bunch of steel

that's my vote too. Bracket recessed into the back and then some kind of bar or rod going into the shelf.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah well that's kinda boring, I was hoping for some really clever joint. But I guess physics is physics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah well that's kinda boring, I was hoping for some really clever joint. But I guess physics is physics.

It could still be a pantorouter project by making room on the back to put in the recess for the bracket

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah my project is only sorta related, I wanna make a sort of rectangle instead, so one can put a deck and amplifier inside it, and more stuff on top. Was planning to recess that, should be strong enough then since it would be a box instead of a plane.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jhet posted:

Would you want to put a $4000 speaker on something that wasn't absolutely going to hold it up without even coming close to failing? I know I wouldn't. Audiophiles are super particular too for many reasons and I am happy to listen to just about anything on their systems. The real trick is installing it properly onto the wall at that point.

What 90 kg speaker is an audiophile going to put on something that size that doesn't immediately revoke their audiophile scout badge? I've still got some biampable chest high towers from the 80's that qualify as audiophile and they don't weigh a quarter of that. We're deep in bat fart sniffing country now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Im making a wood thing! My housemate designed this door frame with sensors in it to detect when a person goes through and spray them with sanitizer. He is good with electronics but not very good with wood. He put the thing together using several dozen wood screws and no joinery or glue at all :v:

So I am taking it apart and doing proper joints. He also wants it to be portable so I am making all the joints fit together like a puzzle piece and not gluing them. I've never done a joint like that in the middle of a board, but I figured it out. I drilled out most of it than just chipped the sides away with a chisel and finished off with a rasp to get a tight fit. I'll also be installing some hinges so the sides can collapse down:

Sorry I don't have any pics from before I disassembled it, the thing was very janky and I'm sure you would have all appreciated it.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 15, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oh yeah my project is only sorta related, I wanna make a sort of rectangle instead, so one can put a deck and amplifier inside it, and more stuff on top. Was planning to recess that, should be strong enough then since it would be a box instead of a plane.

If the grain on the shelf were turned 90 degrees so it was perpendicular to the wall and notched into the support piece relatively deeply and tightly with a few big structural screws holding them together, I’d maybe? Probably? trust it with 90kg if it were strong, straight grained wood like oak, ash, birch, maple etc.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

What 90 kg speaker is an audiophile going to put on something that size that doesn't immediately revoke their audiophile scout badge? I've still got some biampable chest high towers from the 80's that qualify as audiophile and they don't weigh a quarter of that. We're deep in bat fart sniffing country now.

Oh, the speaker would weigh much less (and shouldn’t be so close to the wall). Granted, an old friend of mine had Russian tube amps that were much heavier than they looked, but still no where close to 90kg. It’s a peace of mind thing for when your idiot 10 year old decides to play floor is lava by your stereo.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Rutibex posted:

Im making a wood thing! My housemate designed this door frame with sensors in it to detect when a person goes through and spray them with sanitizer.

Where is this designed to be used? All I can picture is going in and out to bring in groceries, being sanitized to oblivion and making a mess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gonna get sued as soon as that thing sprays someone in the face with sanitizer lol, but I guess that's the friend's business. Tell your buddy to make sure his liability insurance is paid up.

e. It's also not going to actually sanitize them unless it's like, a dozen sprayers absolutely deluging them. Misting in a few spots won't do poo poo.

e2.oh it's portable, maybe this is for like, concerts or something? That's basically sanitation theater. Sanitizer works on your hands because you rub it all over. They gonna have everyone strip down, walk through the frame, and then get a full body rubdown?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 15, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jhet posted:

You'd have a point if they weren't just screwing the thing into the wall lmao

what's the weight rating on a couple drywall screws more-or-less sunk into a 2x4 four inches apart

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 15, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rufio posted:

Where is this designed to be used? All I can picture is going in and out to bring in groceries, being sanitized to oblivion and making a mess.

Leperflesh posted:

Gonna get sued as soon as that thing sprays someone in the face with sanitizer lol, but I guess that's the friend's business. Tell your buddy to make sure his liability insurance is paid up.

e. It's also not going to actually sanitize them unless it's like, a dozen sprayers absolutely deluging them. Misting in a few spots won't do poo poo.

My housemate is a bit of a character. There are 5 sprayers on this thing, it does in fact soak you in disinfectant :v: I couldn't think of anyone wanting this thing anywhere, but he said he wants to sell it to businesses. This is obviously just a fantasy but I'm helping him out because he is giving me $50 and when I saw this thing put together with wood screws I was personally insulted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well have fun, but his idea won't pass OSHA guidelines.

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/CDC%27s_Cleaning_and_Disinfecting_Guidance.pdf

which in turn references:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/eh-practitioners/sprayers.html

Which your buddy should read, and then understand that if he sells devices like this, he's liable. But get your $50 first, I guess!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jhet posted:

Oh, the speaker would weigh much less (and shouldn’t be so close to the wall). Granted, an old friend of mine had Russian tube amps that were much heavier than they looked, but still no where close to 90kg. It’s a peace of mind thing for when your idiot 10 year old decides to play floor is lava by your stereo.

Did he build them himself? How'd they sound?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Well have fun, but his idea won't pass OSHA guidelines.

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/CDC%27s_Cleaning_and_Disinfecting_Guidance.pdf

which in turn references:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/eh-practitioners/sprayers.html

Which your buddy should read, and then understand that if he sells devices like this, he's liable.

This is hilarious and I am going to share this with him. I forbid him from putting it on our house door when it sprayed me with some foul chemical during a test.

quote:

But get your $50 first, I guess!
:hmmyes:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Did he build them himself? How'd they sound?

They sounded amazing, and he had to source the parts to rebuild them. Pair of Von Schweikert stacks made it dreamy. It was 20 years ago, and I hope they're still running. It has ruined basically every other stereo and speakers I've listened to since. The bonus was that they could essentially heat that part of his basement apartment in the winter in Minnesota. He wouldn't have been caught dead putting the speakers on anything but the floor, but those tube amps had their own boxes built to keep them off the floor and let them get the air flow for cooling. /derail

But yeah, that original wall thing makes a good book shelf, but I don't know why you'd need it for speakers unless you're doing a 7.1 system or something and even then it doesn't need to hold 90kg. Floating shelf brackets would be good enough and they're just metal dowels that go through the shelf. Attach to a stud if you don't want the drywall/plaster to shake when you're watching a movie.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Lumber crash leads to 'blowout' sales as prices crater - https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lumber-prices-1.6177016

This jiving with people's experience at all yet?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dimensional lumber is coming back down here (Massachusetts). White fir 2x6x8 was north of $12 when I was building my bench, it's now under $8. But it's not "plummeting", it's returning more to normal-ish numbers.

I don't understand the hardwood market worth a fart so no idea there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Enderzero posted:

Lumber crash leads to 'blowout' sales as prices crater - https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lumber-prices-1.6177016

I check prices every week and no. I suspect this won't be visible if you're buying less than a skid at a time, and the retailers will soak the profits.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

2x4x8s are down to $3 each at Menards here in the twin cities, at least.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Enderzero posted:

2x4s are down more or less in Baltimore (not $3 though lmao), processed stuff like plywood certainly isn't. I was looking at getting a couple pieces just a couple days ago and places still wanted $80 for a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of box store grade junk

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Here in Texas, at the worst of it, whitewood 2x4 studs were over $9 each take what you can get. As of this week SYP is down to $3 at home depot and though the quantity is still pretty scarce, it's at least staying on the shelf. Basically back to where it was pre-covid.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

2x4s are down more or less in Baltimore (not $3 though lmao), processed stuff like plywood certainly isn't. I was looking at getting a couple pieces just a couple days ago and places still wanted $80 for a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of box store grade junk

This blows. Are there not lumber yards anymore? I bought a bunch of stuff in July and just checking the receipt I bought some standard grade 3/4” birch ply for $85 a sheet. No issues with big gaps or anything in it either. The construction studs were more expensive at $8, but that’s not unusual for July and they were coming back down in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's some funkier stuff going on in the plywood/MDF world due to shortages of the resins used in the glues. That whole industry is hugely concentrated in Houston/Beaumont/Lake Charles and they've had to deal with major shutdowns from Hurricane Laura last yr and the Texas freeze/power outage on top of all the other regular COVID stuff. My cousin works for a wood glue manufacturer in Norway and he says it has really messed them up halfway across the world and it was a pretty significant chunk of global output that got hosed up.

I just picked something up from one of my distributors this morning and the stacks of plywood that usually go up to the ceiling are like a foot high instead. They actually had Baltic Birch back in stock, but it was like $120/sheet instead of $50.