Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No the heroic CIA guy really undercuts the impact and the message of the film IMO, making a CIA guy the hero in a movie about Africa would be like if Cap had a Nazi on his team in The First Avenger. There were a dozen other ways to add a white American who could positively impact the story, but specifically making them CIA has far reaching implications which does more to make Killmonger’s point for him than it does anything else.

Also the movie looked like poo poo on the big screen, the CGI cat suit fight looks like a 90’s commercial for power rangers toys and I walked out of the theater thinking I needed to get my eyes checked and was relieved when I got home and realized everyone else thought it looked like poo poo too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bust Rodd posted:

No the heroic CIA guy really undercuts the impact and the message of the film IMO, making a CIA guy the hero in a movie about Africa would be like if Cap had a Nazi on his team in The First Avenger. There were a dozen other ways to add a white American who could positively impact the story, but specifically making them CIA has far reaching implications which does more to make Killmonger’s point for him than it does anything else.

Also the movie looked like poo poo on the big screen, the CGI cat suit fight looks like a 90’s commercial for power rangers toys and I walked out of the theater thinking I needed to get my eyes checked and was relieved when I got home and realized everyone else thought it looked like poo poo too

ooooh more hot takes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The CIA agent being a bad call was not a hot take, it was a widely popular take if you were anywhere on Social Media at the time.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

they should’ve just not had a white guy at all, and definitely not a cia dude, but he was also not the hero of the movie

the movie’s impact on black american audiences is overwhelmingly due to
killmonger imo, and in that context he was far more sympathetic, central to the movie, and ultimately correct than anyone else

e: from the cultural context, a better bp critique is that it pretends to be about africa but is way more about the black american relationship to an imagined africa than the continent itself

double negative fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 15, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Does MCU Hawkeye actually have honest to God fans? He seems like just the least interesting character in a franchise that has a pretty low archetype bar already. Is it just that people really like comics Hawkeye and are holding out for the character to finally come into his own on screen? Or do kids today actually love Hawkeye in the way that we loved Spiderman? Does Disney just feel like they need to give Jeremy Renner his due with this upcoming series?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maybe it's to introduce us to the better Hawkeye and we can let Renner stew at home with his app

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The Grumbles posted:

Does MCU Hawkeye actually have honest to God fans? He seems like just the least interesting character in a franchise that has a pretty low archetype bar already. Is it just that people really like comics Hawkeye and are holding out for the character to finally come into his own on screen? Or do kids today actually love Hawkeye in the way that we loved Spiderman? Does Disney just feel like they need to give Jeremy Renner his due with this upcoming series?

Yes, he does. And there's people who think Renner is hot. Somehow.
It's...surprising.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

How many times have you pulled this? We get it, now shut the gently caress up.

The Grumbles posted:

I liked the HawkDad aspect and his bits in Age of Ultron with Wanda. Trading him out for Kate is the right move though, Clint was way too influenced by the edgy Ulitmates Hawkeye.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 15, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Another episode that is very much a "part one" rather than a conclusive, self-contained episode. Not sure if I like this trend.

From what I could catch in the midseason trailer: There's a scene with Pepper holding a weapon/futuristic rifle thing, running alongside with the Dora Milaje.

So this one and StarLord T'Challa seem to be a two part

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Black Panther has an incredibly weak third act.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The Grumbles posted:

I don’t know if I would say that I was a fan, but I like the character more than for example Iron Man or Black Widow. Jeremy Renner is fine.

I don’t think there was a huge amount of Scarlet Witch fans either, and then WandaVision premiered. If someone has a good Hawkeye story that they want to tell then I am certainly going to watch it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Give Lucky his own dog show!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Grumbles posted:

You mean are there people who like comics Hawkeye and think the movie version is good?

No. Oh no, haha, no. He’s been treated the worst. Started with a “mind controlled” arc that was really weird/badly explained, and it just got worse from there. No character development. Oh, I guess… I guess he has a family??

Absolutely not Renner’s fault, he always just seems to be there as filler. Freakin Ant-Man got a better deal in the movies (and not even the OG ant-man! Maybe because of the wife-beating)

Are we hoping it gets better for Hawkeye? Well, yeah. I’m definitely going to check out the new tv show. I love the character. Not a super-fan but I certainly follow him more than uhh, Wanda or Loki, or Bucky.

But he could’ve been treated so much better. Even Black Widow got her movie.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the Disney TV-show treatment of the comics, even if they’ve taken away any edge. So I’m not expecting a Daredevil/Punisher thing at all, but it could be good. Hope is the last thing to go.

Oh and I’m not a kid but I REALLY doubt Hawkeye is nearly as known, let alone loved, as Spider-Man, today or at any time. Let’s be honest he’s an indie band to Spidey’s Rolling Stones

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Realistically, it won’t get better for Hawkeye, the TV show is just a send off to bring in the new girl :pressf:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've never read the comics but Jeremy Renner sucks and the idea that one of the Avengers is a guy who is really good at shooting arrows is just lol.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Realistically, it won’t get better for Hawkeye, the TV show is just a send off to bring in the new girl :pressf:

Right, but the Black Widow movie was also basically just a two hour commercial to sell people on the new store brand Black Widow and it was still pretty entertaining. I'm going to bet that 'Meet the new Hawkeye: The Series' will be entertaining as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I said earlier, Hawkeye has probably been portrayed as one of the most competent of all the Avengers. The only other one even close is probably Black Widow. All of the other ones have made big missteps or done things that didn't work out well. Hawkeye pretty much has always come out of every situation he's been put in looking good. That's why I said it might be a little wacky to just turn him in to Fraction's Hawkguy because nothing we've see out of Hawkeye thus far shows us that he's a screw up in any way.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Every other What If felt like it needed at least five minutes of breathing room

This one probably could’ve cut 15 minutes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just want to point out that the part about three minutes in with Killmonger’s theme transitioning into the Avengers theme was really fantastic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking of the Ten Rings, who was behind Tony's kidnapping, Killian or Wenwu? Have they clarified that?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of the Ten Rings, who was behind Tony's kidnapping, Killian or Wenwu? Have they clarified that?

I don't think so, but considering it was Stane paying for it anyway it might not have been either of them and he was doing the same thing Killian was.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

live with fruit posted:

Killian, by way of Obadiah.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Was Killian co-opting the Ten Rings Name that long? I thought he was only using it once Extremis people started exploding and he invented The Mandarin.
If it wasn't Wenwu, I'm not sure on the timeline when he came out of retirement, I wouldn't be surprised if some of his former followers/underlings/employees/whatever decided to keep using the name on a smaller scale. It's not like a giant criminal empire would disappear because the boss got hitched, I'm sure most of the people working for him just did the same stuff for someone else.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 15, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Veotax posted:

Was Killian co-opting the Tan Rings Name that long? I thought he was only using it once Extremis people started exploding and he invented The Mandarin.
If it wasn't Wenwu, I'm not sure on the timeline when he came out of retirement, I wouldn't be surprised if some of his former followers/underlings/employees/whatever decided to keep using the name on a smaller scale. It's not like a giant criminal empire would disappear because the boss got hitched, I'm sure most of the people working for him just did the same stuff for someone else.

According to the MCU Wiki, Shang Chi's mother died in 2007, which means Wenwu would've been out of retirement in time to nab Tony.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

As I said earlier, Hawkeye has probably been portrayed as one of the most competent of all the Avengers. The only other one even close is probably Black Widow. All of the other ones have made big missteps or done things that didn't work out well. Hawkeye pretty much has always come out of every situation he's been put in looking good. That's why I said it might be a little wacky to just turn him in to Fraction's Hawkguy because nothing we've see out of Hawkeye thus far shows us that he's a screw up in any way.

lmao he became a serial killer

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao he became a serial killer

Haven't we all at one point?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That doesn't change the fact that he's extremely competent. I didn't say he was the most heroic. He's just not a screw up.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

X-O posted:

That doesn't change the fact that he's extremely competent. I didn't say he was the most heroic. He's just not a screw up.

He was actually a very competent murderer. He took out all those Yakuza guys single handedly.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
What If… was pretty pointless this week, they could’ve done anything with Killmonger’s character but they just doubled down on him being a villain. They did make sure to hit him even harder with the villain bat. Pretty lame.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Desperado Bones posted:

From what I could catch in the midseason trailer: There's a scene with Pepper holding a weapon/futuristic rifle thing, running alongside with the Dora Milaje.

So this one and StarLord T'Challa seem to be a two part

Aren't they both set in 2008? Maybe we'll get Shuri looking for multiversal help, & we get Star-Lord T'Challa vs. Black Panther Killmonger...

Firebert posted:

What If… was pretty pointless this week, they could’ve done anything with Killmonger’s character but they just doubled down on him being a villain. They did make sure to hit him even harder with the villain bat. Pretty lame.
It's more that Killmonger gets an opening with one of America's leading weapons manufacturers and takes the opportunity to push ahead with his plan early. We know that he got the intel, but rather than letting anyone else know he went over there personally so that Tony would be indebted to him. Nothing about the divergence would have changed his character. I mean we know he felt (a little) bad about killing Tony, at least.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
How would they even go about What If?ing Killmonger as not a villain?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

live with fruit posted:

It's difficult because he's not a villian by default.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

live with fruit posted:

T'Challa is abducted by the Ravagers, T'Chaka reaches out to his estranged nephew Erik and they reconcile. Erik is deradicalized and becomes the Black Panther.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really wanna see the new Hawkeye series have just one reference to the Hawkeye Initiative. (Take every horrible cheesecake pose in comics and make Hawkeye do it instead)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They should bring back Hawkeyes utility quiver with the fancy arrowhead gadgets. It was so lame when they swiyched him over to just shooting explosive arrows. I want more poo poo like him shooting a usb drive arrow into a computer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's difficult because he's not a villian by default.

He joined the military to kill people in developing nations to the point that his entire body is covered in reminders of them.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I kind of like how 21 year old Killmonger being a self-professed anime liker means he might have started dressing like Vegeta on purpose, even if the timeline of the episode means it's unlikely that he'd have even graduated MIT at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
"I like anime" - Erik Killmonger

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

"I like anime" - Erik Killmonger

The guy dresses like Vegeta.

Rumors are that Michael B. Jordan is a HUGE anime fan and is the one who requested Killmongert to look like that. Probably not true, unless him and the writers and the director are all hardcore into anime lol

Also I laughed at Tony's glass shattering in slow motion all dramatic anime like. That was a good fun detail!