Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Kings believe in draft pick pedigree

We're taking C Nolan Patrick

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Carolina is balancing its decision.

On one hand, we have 0 defensemen.

On the other hand, we need every jerk with a pedigree we can.

And we NEED this player if the Carolina Hurricanes are to be truly a bunch of jerks (especially with Tony D falling through our fingers).

Ladies and gentlemen.

The current Godfather , of being a jerk in the NHL.

https://youtu.be/6Cw5cFW-_tI

https://youtu.be/7TfeeDMqT1k

gently caress Corey Perry.

Wilson —- Kadri —— Marchand
E Kane — M Domi —- Kreider
Perry —-

Binnington

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Nashville Predators are proud to select Shayne Gostisbehere!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Duckman2008 posted:

Carolina is balancing its decision.

On one hand, we have 0 defensemen.

On the other hand, we need every jerk with a pedigree we can.

And we NEED this player if the Carolina Hurricanes are to be truly a bunch of jerks (especially with Tony D falling through our fingers).

Ladies and gentlemen.

The current Godfather , of being a jerk in the NHL.

https://youtu.be/6Cw5cFW-_tI

https://youtu.be/7TfeeDMqT1k

gently caress Corey Perry.

Wilson —- Kadri —— Marchand
E Kane — M Domi —- Kreider
Perry —-

Binnington

This team rules but are there no assholes on defense?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You should pick tree-hugging, electric-car driving hippies for defense but I can't even think of any of those since Andy Ference retired.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fawning deference posted:

This team rules but are there no assholes on defense?

There are , but A. I don’t want to list them and risk someone taking one, and B. I’ve almost took a defenseman like, 5 times now but keep going “oh man, I really really need this forward.”

My bet is basically that goon defensemen will last longer. I am looking to being proven very wrong and being completely owned by this bet.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Detroit will take Vasily Podkolzin

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lazerwolf is up, followed by:

Furnaceface
Mentholmoose
MononcQC

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pretty sure that 2 hours was up an hour ago so Im going ahead.

This pick had even fewer options than the last one and I had a good laugh going over the list. Vancouver loves people that pick up trash and the Canucks would like to participate. We are happy to pick up some trash that has been floating between Chicago and Buffalo and place that right in the bin that is our second D pairing. Welcome to the garbage fire Henri Jokiharju.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Flyers are going to continue screwing the cap and pick Tomas Tatar, a strong play driver who ought to thrive on the second line.

Pacioretty-Draisaitl-Farabee
Tatar-Gourde-?

Chabot-Dumba

Saros

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's been another few days in the Chicago Blackhawks' dressing room and by god, our experiment is extremely potent. As mentioned earlier we really care about team chemistry (and chemistry is funnier when it goes boom). So far though, as we respect covid mandates (even though it pisses off some players), Nathan MacKinnon is mentioning feeling quite lonely and alienated because nobody else really wants to eat with him and also he can't really direct how the rest of the team eats effectively.

In trying to address these issues, we are proud to draft our team's first Vegan player, who is sure to participate to the melting pot -- hold on I'm being told that people rejecting assimilation conveniently refer to the alternative as a salad bowl -- to the salad bowl that is the Chicago Blackhawks.

Welcome to the blackhawks, vegan superstar player and MacKinnon appeasement token ANDREAS ATHANASIOU!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sorry I zoned out there guys, I even knew I was coming up soon.. should have skipped my rear end hah

Dallas Stars select RW Alexander Radulov

Team is going to be short on goal scoring talent, every extra bit helps! Radulov is still a dynamic player even as he slows down due to his age..

Honestly I'm surprised Radulov didn't make the cut for Chicago, he's notorious for not giving a gently caress about team rules and getting healthy scratched for discipline lol

Buchnevich - Cirelli - Gallagher
xxxx - yyyy - Radulov

Makar - zzzz
Pulock - Pelech

Mrazek

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 16, 2021

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Speaking of injury prone RWs, I think it's about time this poor guy got a shot. If you believe his people he's ready for camp, working hard to get that trade he's after, and in the best shape of his life(tm) after his (three) shoulder surgeries

Florida selects RW Vladimir Tarasenko

I have a short list of guys I want with my next pick but I'm not confident enough yet to send a list out to anyone as I might change my pick between them a few times. If Good Soldier Svejk is awake for some reason and wants to make his picks at 230am I'll be down to go again tonight! Otherwise I'll be back around 1-2pm est tomorrow

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Iodised QQ posted:

Florida selects RW Vladimir Tarasenko

This is either going to be a really good pickup.. or an really bad one

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

That's just how I like them

I'm debating doing similar things the rest of the draft, but now that we're later on the options are that front are a lot more limited

Just for curiosity's sake though, the salary cap for this draft is more of a suggestion ala Tampa Bay rather than a firm cap, right

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Iodised QQ posted:

Just for curiosity's sake though, the salary cap for this draft is more of a suggestion ala Tampa Bay rather than a firm cap, right

Since it's the offseason, I'm going to go with the official NHL rule (or at least how I remember it): you can exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason (and during this draft). It's supposed to allow flexibility so teams can make trades, etc, so teams can be cap-compliant during the season. This also means that if you do go over the cap you deserve and may possibly receive significant ridicule from us for loving up.

If we do a sim or anything, my personal rule is that somebody will have to calculate buyouts for players if you're over the cap before your roster gets entered, starting with the highest cap hit player.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Taking a bit of a risk here, but I think the quality of defensemen starts to drop more drastically in the next 60 picks than the forwards so I hope that proves to be true.

The Coyotes select for their second pairing, tiny but elite defensively, Matt Grzelcyk. Grzelcyk played incredible first pairing minutes with McAvoy last season before a high hit took him out for the playoffs and the Bruins management took that as a sign to go out and get a giant bad defenseman who will probably take those minutes this season with much worse results.

and the minute munching good Rasmus, Rasmus Andersson. Andersson is a young capable two-way defender who is already firmly established in his own end but can hopefully take an offensive step forward in the coming seasons.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Konecny
X - Hischier - X

Provorov - Ekblad
Grzelcyk - Andersson

Merzlikins

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Totally forgot about Radulov.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

mentholmoose posted:

Since it's the offseason, I'm going to go with the official NHL rule (or at least how I remember it): you can exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason (and during this draft). It's supposed to allow flexibility so teams can make trades, etc, so teams can be cap-compliant during the season. This also means that if you do go over the cap you deserve and may possibly receive significant ridicule from us for loving up.

If we do a sim or anything, my personal rule is that somebody will have to calculate buyouts for players if you're over the cap before your roster gets entered, starting with the highest cap hit player.

Fair enough, I'll shelve the gimmick I was thinking of then

Phone posting and will make more of an effort post later but so I don't get skipped now, give me Adam Larsson

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'll pick up D Brian Dumoulin to complete the top 4 for the Stars.

He's a big guy who can skate a bit and move the puck well enough, mainly though he can play the left side of the blueline and hang out with Makar for 20+ minutes a night, since on the advice of noted Islanders fan fawning deference I really want to be using Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech as a unit.

Buchnevich - Cirelli - Gallagher
xxxx - yyyy - Radulov

Dumoulin - Makar
Pelech - Pulock

Mrazek

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 16, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dumoulin is such a solid choice as a Makar counterpart. He can still skate (though last season started to look like he might be losing a step, could also be he was just working through injury) and pass perfectly fine and even put a puck on net every now and then, but for the most part his time with Letang has him playing the "cover for that guy because he is way more talented than me" role and he has never seemed to resent it.

Between him and Pelech though that probably means you're looking at a forward running your right point on the powerplay but Radulov can do that no problem. Liking that D though, that's basically 2 first pairings.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wow would you look at that, this far in the draft and the Chicago Blackhawks only have one defenseman still. There is, however, still a two-time Norris winner available and we consider ourselves extremely lucky to be able to go seek him.

Analysts are twisting themselves in a Pretzel trying to figure out Why Erik Karlsson is no longer as good in San Jose than he was in Ottawa, but we, at the Chicago Blackhawks, believe we have the answer, and it conveniently lines up with our policy. The high amount of internal competition, sparks flying, and flat out disagreement within the Ottawa Senators had to be the key element.

Fortunately for us, we already have Mike Hoffman on the team, who (with his wife) tormented Karlsson and his wife for the stillbirth of their son until restraining orders and lawsuits were filed. This is such an amazing fit for our team that his contract is worth it.

Welcome to the team, Erik Karlsson.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

The Flyers are keeping a Flyer.

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1429183957300613122?s=21

Furnaceface is up now.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 16, 2021

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

Fair enough, I'll shelve the gimmick I was thinking of then

Phone posting and will make more of an effort post later but so I don't get skipped now, give me Adam Larsson

OK now that I have some time, Jfresh is a fan of Larsson's work this past season so I am as well

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417833332549857291?s=20

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417840045470461954?s=20

I think Larsson would fit in really well as the second best guy on his pairing next to a somewhat similar player in Slavin and give me a quality shutdown top pair that makes me feel a little better about my defense since I'm been focused on offense primarily thus far

Connor - McDavid - Tarasenko
Verhaege - Backstrom -
- Reinhart -

Slavin - Larsson
Giordano -

The idea of the Connor - McDavid - Tarasenko line really intrigues me as Connor already paces for 40+ goals most full seasons and could possibly hit 50 with the best player in the world next to him. Next to those two, a guy like Tarasenko only needs to exist, find some space, and sock dingers ala Ovie while the two others do the dirty work for him which would hopefully reduce the wear and tear on Tarasenko and keep him in the game longer and doing what he does best

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Iodised QQ posted:

Connor - McDavid - Tarasenko

The idea of the Connor - McDavid - Tarasenko line really intrigues me as Connor already paces for 40+ goals most full seasons and could possibly hit 50 with the best player in the world next to him.

I spent like 30 seconds staring at this trying to think of who the gently caress Connor was or if you just put McDavid's first name in the lineup as a separate person..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Detroit is going to take Jack Rathbone

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im home and ready to pick.

The guy wants out of Toronto so bad he didnt even provide a list of teams he wont go to so Im going to capitalize on this and welcome Ilya Mikheyev to Vancouver. Out of he pan and into the fire. :getin:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

I spent like 30 seconds staring at this trying to think of who the gently caress Connor was or if you just put McDavid's first name in the lineup as a separate person..

McDavid does count as two people, I legit had the same mind block.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Connor is definitely going to be carrying that line.

Also it would really own if there were a right winger named David O'Connor to finish it off.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Okay, I believe, given the time elapsed, lazerwolf has two skipped picks to make, Technetium has one skipped pick to make, and Duckman2008 is up until 8:50 ET.

After Duck:

Yaya
Arabian Jesus
me
glynnenstein
Drunk Canuck

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Carolina Hurricanes need a defenseman!

Like, legit; we don’t have one yet. Seems important.

Therefore, in ensuring that we continue to have a bunch of jerks , we will take the ultimate current goon of defensemen (that isn’t taken).

Radko Gudas.

May he slash everyone in front of the net and crush everyone into the boards

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
A couple people have guessed what my team gimmick is but this next pick I think might give it away:

Marco Rossi

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

Connor is definitely going to be carrying that line.

Also it would really own if there were a right winger named David O'Connor to finish it off.

When making that pick there was definitely a consideration for the puns that old sportswriters would love to make with the Connor2Connor duo

I have a specific guy in mind to finish off that line for full pun potential and I'm hoping he's around in 3-4 rounds, because I don't think he's good enough to go on my next picks. Maybe not even good enough for the following rounds, but I feel less dirty making a full on meme pick at that point

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Iodised QQ posted:

When making that pick there was definitely a consideration for the puns that old sportswriters would love to make with the Connor2Connor duo

I have a specific guy in mind to finish off that line for full pun potential and I'm hoping he's around in 3-4 rounds, because I don't think he's good enough to go on my next picks. Maybe not even good enough for the following rounds, but I feel less dirty making a full on meme pick at that point

Connor McMichael

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iodised QQ posted:

but I feel less dirty making a full on meme pick at that point

Making picks only on meme quality has absolutely 0 shame.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Minnesota will take D Connor Murphy

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Nashville Predators are proud to select with our skipped pick, Filip Chytil! Welcome Filip!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Give me fuel, give me fire...

GIVE ME NINO NIEDERREITER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Washington Capitals select Keith Yandle.