Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Make my monster grow!!!

The Klasmata had me convinced that I broke it.

After four hours of troubleshooting, I figured out that I thought the gate input was the output, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

Make my monster grow!!!

The Klasmata had me convinced that I broke it.

After four hours of troubleshooting, I figured out that I thought the gate input was the output, and vice versa.

:nice:

I got a HexMix VCA and a Zlob Entropy Expander coming to me in the mail.

Where’d you get the blank panels?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Modular Synth Lab off Etsy.

I ordered them with my rails.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Waldorf's back with the Microwave :blastu:

8 voice polyphony (upgradeable to 16), 2 independent wavetable oscillators with 2 modes (classic MW1 and modern MW2), SSM 2144 filter and analog VCA

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody here have an AE modular rig? They sure do look enticing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arturia just released the SQ80V, so they're bundling it with V Collection 8 for only $269.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/sq80-v/overview

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:nice:

I got a HexMix VCA and a Zlob Entropy Expander coming to me in the mail.

Where’d you get the blank panels?

I just ordered the brains of the whole operation: 2 x Rampage kits!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

dexefiend posted:

Make my monster grow!!!

Befacrew
They really put out some good stuff, rampage is in almost every patch.

VoodooXT posted:

8 voice polyphony (upgradeable to 16), 2 independent wavetable oscillators with 2 modes (classic MW1 and modern MW2), SSM 2144 filter and analog VCA

Great news, I hope they can put out something that moves units.

Mad Dragon posted:

Arturia just released the SQ80V, so they're bundling it with V Collection 8 for only $269.

Terrible news, whole new generation of kids will now be buying ensoniq :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Startyde posted:

Befacrew
They really put out some good stuff, rampage is in almost every patch.

Great news, I hope they can put out something that moves units.

I watched a video, like two days before deciding "gently caress it, do Eurorack." Of a guy making music with a Microwave, monomachine, drum machine, and a particular filter bank.

It was awesome to see him use it, because I love 90s-00s EBM/dancey industrial. The square/saw wave table sound is just so classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBj8SYtjJ1c

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Welp, guess I bought into the V Collection a little earlier than anticipated. :v: Was going to wait until the MacBook Air arrived, but I wasn't going to wait at this price.

In other news, my OP-1 and Pocket Operators arrived on Monday. I only dug into the POs a little, but I spent a solid couple hours working out things on the OP-1 yesterday, and I'm totally in love. Only thing stopping me from cranking out music non-stop now is my own indecision regarding the choices I make regarding song structure and the like, but when is that ever not the problem?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

VoodooXT posted:

As someone who got into synths in the tail end of the Blofeld's lifespan, so to speak, I admit I mostly associate Waldorf with synths that sound cool but seem pretty expensive for what you get. As someone with no attachment to the original Microwave, this sounds cool as hell but I'd be hard pressed to consider dropping ~$2500 on it, not necessarily because it isn't worth it, but because there seems to be so much out there that gets you more for less. Is Waldorf gear just that good?

I've been really curious about the Iridium too but that thing's firmly in the "will never afford" category for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mad Dragon posted:

I don’t have room for another big music thing but I love how that looks.

You know because looks are the important thing.

Edit: anyone here use a midi controller with their OP-1? I’m thinking about trying something like a minilab or keystep.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 15, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rolo posted:

You mean hard drive space? Because it's a softsynth.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m an idiot.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rolo posted:

I’m an idiot.

It's a very convincing image! I WISH that thing was real.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know it looks awesome. Reminds me wanting a WinAmp 20 years ago.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

I just ordered the brains of the whole operation: 2 x Rampage kits!

I just sold a Korg MS2000R on Reverb, and once I get the money, I’m going to buy a Maths. I know Rampage and Maths are similar, but after watching a bunch of videos and reading Mod Wiggler posts, I’m going Maths.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Not sure about maths, but you can play around with rampage for free in vcv rack, if you feel like giving it a spin.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I just sold a Korg MS2000R on Reverb, and once I get the money, I’m going to buy a Maths. I know Rampage and Maths are similar, but after watching a bunch of videos and reading Mod Wiggler posts, I’m going Maths.

Rampage is available in kit, but Maths has a mixer, attenuverters and more channels for offsets. If cost isn't a factor you made a good choice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am doing DIY everything, so that limits my choice.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Rolo posted:

You know because looks are the important thing.

Edit: anyone here use a midi controller with their OP-1? I’m thinking about trying something like a minilab or keystep.

Just gave it a go with a keystep and it worked fine, but I had to use FL studio on the PC as a go-between, AFAIK there's no way of just plugging one into the other, you'd need the OPLab or a Kenton MIDI host.

While I'm talking about keystep - mine has this weird thing where the notes aren't all the same length? This happens with everything, not just FL. I've turned swing off and tried loving about with the gate settings, and tried a firmware upgrade and reset. Any other ideas folks?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Rampage is available in kit, but Maths has a mixer, attenuverters and more channels for offsets. If cost isn't a factor you made a good choice.

I bought a Befaco Dual Attenuverter kit thinking it would get me 2 more VCAs for cheap, and I guess I thought “Offset” also meant amplify, so a Rampage plus Dual Attenuverters almost makes a Maths, but I still want the Maths over the Rampage even though it’s cheaper and I enjoy kit building.

And yeah, I’m getting more than the cost of a new Maths for the Korg, so it’s covered, and I haven’t so much as looked at the MS2000R in 10 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A LOVELY LAD posted:

While I'm talking about keystep - mine has this weird thing where the notes aren't all the same length? This happens with everything, not just FL. I've turned swing off and tried loving about with the gate settings, and tried a firmware upgrade and reset. Any other ideas folks?
I'm guessing you have quantization turned off somewhere? That way it records exactly what you play, with quantization turned on it should record exact notes exactly on the beat, to the closest respectively.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If its USB midi, I had serious issues with jitter with my Drumbrute Impact, up to 20bpm variance in a bar when slaved.
That said, I use my Microfreak over USB and don't have any issues other than my lovely playing

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

I am doing DIY everything, so that limits my choice.

Yeah, I’m doing mostly DIY kits, but then there a few things I want, like the Make Noise Maths and Wogglebug, and the System80 Jove or whatever the new filter replacing the Jove is. But the bulk of what I have and what I plan on getting is Befaco and Zlob stuff, and I’m more likely to take a chance on some new kit than impulse buy a built module. That’s how I discovered Zlob, I literally bought a Triple Cap Chaos kit because it was $45 and it was restocked the same time as all kinds of Befaco stuff that I’d been waiting on in July. Now I’m up to four Zlob modules and thinking about getting their SVF filter and looking forward to the day I can drop $400 on their feedback filterbank kit. (That day is many years off).

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm guessing you have quantization turned off somewhere? That way it records exactly what you play, with quantization turned on it should record exact notes exactly on the beat, to the closest respectively.

Thats just using the arpeggiator, sequencers the same.

NonzeroCircle posted:

If its USB midi, I had serious issues with jitter with my Drumbrute Impact, up to 20bpm variance in a bar when slaved.
That said, I use my Microfreak over USB and don't have any issues other than my lovely playing

Does it via standard midi too IIRC - most of my gear is packed away at the moment but I'll give it a double check next time its out.

Semi related note, my microkorg has died in storage, only the digital waves work and they just make constant buzzing noises that can be controlled by detuning- better sell it off as a drone machine.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MockingQuantum posted:

As someone who got into synths in the tail end of the Blofeld's lifespan, so to speak, I admit I mostly associate Waldorf with synths that sound cool but seem pretty expensive for what you get. As someone with no attachment to the original Microwave, this sounds cool as hell but I'd be hard pressed to consider dropping ~$2500 on it, not necessarily because it isn't worth it, but because there seems to be so much out there that gets you more for less. Is Waldorf gear just that good?

I think the main competitor to the "Waldorf sound", so to speak, is the HydraSynth. It gets you mostly there.

In any case, the only real reason why I'd want one is to have a Microwave with 16 voices. I have the original Microwave but I'm not spending another $2000+ for another unit to add 8 more voices.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Startyde posted:

too late. I already own all the ensoniq. fygm, gen alpha

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Voice of Labor posted:

too late. I already own all the ensoniq. fygm, gen alpha

Sounds like you're incentivizing your kid to murder you for her synthesizer inheritance.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
More synths, more problems.

The Prophet-10 showed up today, and in externally fine shape: the outside packing box did it's job, the inside box was untouched, and the synth was securely in the foam packaging supports and what not. However upon getting it out of the box I heard the unmistakable rattle that spells "well, this just became at least a minor project (i.e., work) rather than a fun piece of gear you should go plug in and use ASAP".

Opening the thing up and I found two loose screws (so far), and a distinct lack of any of seven screws that seem like they ought to be in there, but securely fastening things instead of the consumer electronics version of flak: six to mount the top of the keybed frame to the interior floor of the chassis, and a seventh that does the same sort of thing, but for a tongue of the folded sheet metal that forms the pitch & mod wheel box section.

Some inquiries later and I've located four other screws from the previous owner, which are being sent to me ASAP; seems like those four were loose when that owner got it from the vendor. Maybe one is still lurking, somewhere.

This one happens to be in the serial number range that had those two capacitors on the main voice board populated that shouldn't have been, so it's not like I wasn't going to get inside the thing soon enough anyway to check that out, but nonetheless, a minor bummer on the day. Still, outside of this, it's in really nice shape. I just need to keep it that way as I do all this handling to fix other things.

It's the week for being shipped things that get to me with stuff rattling around inside though. End of last week another purchase showed up with something clonking around inside. Some disassembly later and I find the lithium AA cell had come loose of the battery holder -- no surprise -- that a prior owner somewhere in the machine's life had installed as a replacement for the original soldered battery (a common and make-sense modification). I'm hoping it didn't do any damage to any of the other components while it was free to bumper car its way around; a quick visual inspection and some test wiggling attempts with a finger and a probe seem to say I'm OK, but I'll only really find out once I get it put through its paces.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

like the Make Noise Maths and Wogglebug, and the System80 Jove or whatever the new filter replacing the Jove is.

Do you, but just saying, all three of these are pretty easy to get in DIY - Maths is "just" a very clever UI for a Serge DUSG + mixer and utilities and there are so many versions (I have a Quad Slopes I've been getting parts for that fits in less than 2 maths worth of HP), Jove was one of the first surface mount things a friend of mine tried, and Wogglebug has a storied history of bad kits across manufactures but there are good ones too and like the one in my system, I built from an Erica offering (the SWAMP I think? One of the last kits I bought before I just went PCB+panel as a rule).

Especially with pseudorandom stuff, it can be fun to get a slightly different version than everyone else's, and the Wogglebug is one of the cooler modular circuits out there - I learned a lot about synthesis troubleshooting mine (I feel this way about most of Grant Richter's designs).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Erica Synths with (yet) another new drumbox

https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/PERKONS/

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Erica Synths with (yet) another new drumbox

https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/PERKONS/

Jesus that looks good. Drum synthesis is literally my favourite thing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it looks insanely cool but man that price. also is there a demo of it anywhere?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

Do you, but just saying, all three of these are pretty easy to get in DIY - Maths is "just" a very clever UI for a Serge DUSG + mixer and utilities and there are so many versions (I have a Quad Slopes I've been getting parts for that fits in less than 2 maths worth of HP), Jove was one of the first surface mount things a friend of mine tried, and Wogglebug has a storied history of bad kits across manufactures but there are good ones too and like the one in my system, I built from an Erica offering (the SWAMP I think? One of the last kits I bought before I just went PCB+panel as a rule).

Especially with pseudorandom stuff, it can be fun to get a slightly different version than everyone else's, and the Wogglebug is one of the cooler modular circuits out there - I learned a lot about synthesis troubleshooting mine (I feel this way about most of Grant Richter's designs).

Oh wow, no, I had no idea. I’d especially be interested in a DIY kit version of the Jove. I’ll probably still get the Maths, but I’ll definitely look into DIY versions of the Jove and Swamp and other Wogglebug alternatives. Thank you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

watho posted:

it looks insanely cool but man that price. also is there a demo of it anywhere?

https://youtu.be/FuRrIN1LFJM

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

man that owns. still costs way too much for me but man

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Synth DIY people: I ordered resistors, but they are noticeably bigger than the ones that came in the kits I received.

How do you order resistors so they are the right ones?

The ones I need are about 3mm across body, and I got ones that are like 6mm. Also, the electrolytic capacitors I got were a bit taller, but I got 50v instead of 35v.

Are there standard scales/size codes that I should be ordering?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Are they an uncommon wattage? I think the common sizes for DIY projects are 1/2W and 1/4W but keep in mind I'm pretty rusty and tend to have to relearn most of this every few years when I feel like getting crafty again. Anyway, I think the larger the wattage the larger the resistor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is what I thought! The big ones are marked 1/4 watt.

I need to learn more.