Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I tried Dishonored and bounced off it hard, same with 2. Also the same with Prey.

But that was a few years back and I tried Prey again recently and just wrapped it up and it was real good. Maybe I'll try Dishonored 1/2 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually pretty awesome in Dishonoured 2 that nearly all of the non-lethal options for getting rid of your targets are arguably worse than killing them

I do get annoyed at games like Hitman and Metal Gear that give you forty million guns and say using them makes you suck. Peace Walker does it well with the mission-based structure where guns get you through missions before you have the high end nonlethal gear.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's ironic then, because when I first stared playing Dishonored, I actually went in a killed all the soldiers I came across in the first level because the game promoted you as an assassin. But then after the first level or whatever, the game popped up a warning being like, "hey, killing too many people will affect the ending." And in every stealth game where there are multiple endings, the "murder everyone" route is typically the bad end.

So because of that warning, I restarted the game and went through non-lethally taking out everyone, even the assassination targets, reloading any time I got spotted.

:same: Don't tie game outcomes to lethal/nonlethal choices if you want people to feel like they have freedom to do as they wish in your sandboxes, devs! Though I did crack open tallboys and the assassins in the flooded level with a primal rage, since Corvano can have little a kill as a treat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually pretty awesome in Dishonoured 2 that nearly all of the non-lethal options for getting rid of your targets are arguably worse than killing them

1 was like that too, and it's why I did most of them that way. Enjoy your slave mines!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

:same: Don't tie game outcomes to lethal/nonlethal choices if you want people to feel like they have freedom to do as they wish in your sandboxes, devs! Though I did crack open tallboys and the assassins in the flooded level with a primal rage, since Corvano can have little a kill as a treat.

1 was like that too, and it's why I did most of them that way. Enjoy your slave mines!

Jindosh getting a seat in his own chair was my favorite.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jindosh getting a seat in his own chair was my favorite.

That one gets extra horrifying when you later on find a recording of Jindosh getting berated by the main villain for suddenly being real bad at mad science while his brains are so fried he can barely form complete sentences any more

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

haveblue posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that one of their goals for Deathloop was specifically to get all the people who played Dishonored stealthily to go loud
I think it's less "go loud" and more "actually deal with the consequences of your stealth fuckups instead of quickloading". Deathloop has no quicksave and it's great.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Forcing Norman Reedus to chug five monster energy drinks so I can make more grenades which are created from my poo poo and piss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I enjoyed going full chaos with Emily the Butcher on my first Dishonored 2 playthrough. And it has been fun following it up with Corvo going for no kills and never being spotted. You zip around fast when you know where you are going and are no longer exploring every nook and cranny.

I just finished Stilton's mansion and it was amazing to see this time there were severe consequences to knocking out Stilton instead of letting him go to the meeting. Especially when I finished the level and suddenly noticed that Meagan had not lost an eye and an arm :monocle:. I wasn't paying attention to in-game lore and assumed those injuries happened during the Dishonored 1 DLC.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mierenneuker posted:

I enjoyed going full chaos with Emily the Butcher on my first Dishonored 2 playthrough. And it has been fun following it up with Corvo going for no kills and never being spotted. You zip around fast when you know where you are going and are no longer exploring every nook and cranny.

I just finished Stilton's mansion and it was amazing to see this time there were severe consequences to knocking out Stilton instead of letting him go to the meeting. Especially when I finished the level and suddenly noticed that Meagan had not lost an eye and an arm :monocle:. I wasn't paying attention to in-game lore and assumed those injuries happened during the Dishonored 1 DLC.

Huh. Looked this up and realized I had listened to the audiograph that explained what happened, but I didn't make the connection between her looking for Stilton after he disappeared from the public eye and the fact that she lost her eye and arm in the fight with the guards. But yeah, when I did that mission nonlethally, it actually took me a little while before I actually realized that she still had her eye and arm intact. I forget, does the game even make a point to point this out? If not, I'm actually a little impressed that's the case.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Morpheus posted:

Huh. Looked this up and realized I had listened to the audiograph that explained what happened, but I didn't make the connection between her looking for Stilton after he disappeared from the public eye and the fact that she lost her eye and arm in the fight with the guards. But yeah, when I did that mission nonlethally, it actually took me a little while before I actually realized that she still had her eye and arm intact. I forget, does the game even make a point to point this out? If not, I'm actually a little impressed that's the case.

It does not, as far as I can recall.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My favorite little thing in Dishonored 2 was the ragdolls

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Morpheus posted:

If I recall correctly, D2 never directly mentions that, but it is a basic plot point in Death of the Outsider, the DLC expansion. Or at least that's how it was in my game; I don't know if it took that decision into account.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HenryEx posted:

My favorite little thing in Dishonored 2 was the ragdolls

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Me and the boys after one too many whiskeys and cigars.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something I would love to see a stealth game do is let you 'hide' a body by putting them in a bed or on a chair or something. Make the other NPCs think that the dead guy is just sleeping or something, or won't attract attention if they're just knocked out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mechanically that's no different from hiding them in a closet or dumpster, but it would be a cool vibe, I agree.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That would really only work in some kind of social stealth game, and there aren't many of those cause they ain't easy to even start.

Why yes it would be amusing to recreate that scene from Commando.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I won't be satisfied until a game lets me implement the Clue approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMtdpuRj7U

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Phobophilia posted:

That would really only work in some kind of social stealth game, and there aren't many of those cause they ain't easy to even start.

Why yes it would be amusing to recreate that scene from Commando.

I could definitely see it in a Hitman game.

I think the problem with implementing it is that once you see it works, any reasonable player will immediately want to go full Weekend at Bernie's and then be disappointed when they can't.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Ship was that, was it not?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

I could definitely see it in a Hitman game.

I think the problem with implementing it is that once you see it works, any reasonable player will immediately want to go full Weekend at Bernie's and then be disappointed when they can't.

Going all Weekend At Bernie's certainly sounds like something you'd do in a Hitman game at one point.

'Social stealth' pretty well describes about half of what you do in those games, especially the... soft-reboot trilogy. It's probably been gone over in this thread a lot, but there's a lot of really fun themes with how various disguises work, what opportunities they unlock and how people react to them.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The villains of No More Heroes 3 are aliens and the character designers were unafraid to just get fantastically stupid with the designs. Every one of them looks like a psychedelic sack of poo poo and it's perfect. I love each one of those 99-cent 70s sci-fi paperback cover-looking motherfuckers. More games should embrace goofy-rear end character design.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Warbird posted:

The Ship was that, was it not?

The ship was a fun game that I wish could've worked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ilmucche posted:

The ship was a fun game that I wish could've worked.

On that note, the Assassin's Creed multiplayer was quite similar to that and worked surprisingly well, at least as long everybody in the lobby sort of agreed not to go full rambo. It never got old when you managed to blend in just right and watched the guys hunting you fall over themselves murdering some poor NPC. :laugh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah I love the Assassin's Creed multiplayer until everyone figured out the most effective way to win was just to run around full sprint attacking things.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Psychonauts 2: I love the non-Euclidean geometry in so many of the levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In NEO: The World Ends With You, there’s a sort of combo system where fulfilling an attack-dependent condition opens up a window for another person to attack and boost the limit break bath, and there’s a line of dialogue for each potential combo depending on who initiates/follows up, which is kinda impressive since there’s eventually six party members with the option to pick up a seventh in the postgame . It’s the kinda thing that would suck with worse voice acting and I wouldn’t blame someone for not liking it as is but most of the lines put a dumb smile on my face.

“That didn’t totally suck”
“I know, right!?”

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"HnnnGRRHhhhhhhhnnnnn!"
"Is, uh, she gonna be alright?"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so Dragon Quest VII's basic premise has a shitton of time travel, where you're going to the past, stopping the volcano/curse/monsters/etc and then returning to the present so you can party with the no-longer-dead locals. During one of these incidents the High Priest promises to spend his life developing the ultimate support magic. If you go to the present and visit the High Priest's grave, you'll find out he's done exactly that and get The Great Leveler, a spell which knocks out most of an enemies' buffs. Now you can end it there, but the fun part is that you can go back to the past, speak to the High Priest again, show him The Great Leveler, and tell him it's not good enough. Now if you return to the present and visit this guy's grave again, he has made an improved version of the same magic, which strips all buffs from everyone and disables magic for two turns. This is probably kinda long for "little things in games" but the core premise of telling a man that his life's work sucks and he needs to do it better this time amuses me greatly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Okay, so Dragon Quest VII's basic premise has a shitton of time travel, where you're going to the past, stopping the volcano/curse/monsters/etc and then returning to the present so you can party with the no-longer-dead locals. During one of these incidents the High Priest promises to spend his life developing the ultimate support magic. If you go to the present and visit the High Priest's grave, you'll find out he's done exactly that and get The Great Leveler, a spell which knocks out most of an enemies' buffs. Now you can end it there, but the fun part is that you can go back to the past, speak to the High Priest again, show him The Great Leveler, and tell him it's not good enough. Now if you return to the present and visit this guy's grave again, he has made an improved version of the same magic, which strips all buffs from everyone and disables magic for two turns. This is probably kinda long for "little things in games" but the core premise of telling a man that his life's work sucks and he needs to do it better this time amuses me greatly.

It'd be better if you do it a second time and he just makes a spell that causes you to explode when you cast it as a gently caress you.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In Chrono Trigger, the ocean palace theme was very good. ALSO, the entire section is set up as a race against time, so instead of switching to combat music, it would just keep playing the ocean palace theme, which really helped get that feeling across

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_db01pnr1M

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

lol, really? That reminds of another little thing.

So, early on in Dragon Quest VII, you go to a village holding a festival for its fire deity on a volcano or some such, and it’s not going according to plan. The whole time when the option to help comes up, you can mash “no” like a dick.

Only, this is one of the only times in the series this is a bad thing (being an rear end in a top hat like this also inconveniences you in VI) because the whole time the party calls you an rear end in a top hat for refusing to help, right up until the volcano is about to erupt and you’d normally go into its depths to kill the fire demon trying to gently caress everything up. Then the volcano erupts!

And then you wake up in bed the morning before, because it was all a dream and your party members comment on you looking shaken up like you saw a volcano explode. It’s just a neat little thing that there’s at least one quest where just saying “no” is like a whole bad ending in a more significant way than loving up in DQ1.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mario's face is red after he gets a shower in Super Mario Rpg

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So deathloop is everything i wanted it to be, but my suprising favorite thing is the voice actors of the main two characters colt and Julianna. They are both very expressive and very funny, and both of them sell the reality of slowly losing their minds after being stuck in a timeloop for hundreds of iterations very well.

The VA is general are really good in this game, i enjoy many of the random recordings as well.

Another little thing is that the guns for once feel incredibly satisfying. There's a heavy pistol that is very satisfying to headshot people with and also a double barrel shotgun that is just a beast. Running and gunning is a joy each time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Colt and Julianna's voice actors sound like they're having a blast. Colt's voice acting especially is really fun

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the new indie game Eastward has an in game 8 bit style old school RPG called "Earth Born" that you can play. The main character of that game is a knight with pretty standard moves that require "AP" which generates per turn. The fun part is that your first party member is a merchant and his moves require money. The main way the merchant generates money is by giving monsters a loan that they pay interest on each turn and when they are defeated you get the principal back.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

That rules. Tim Rogers was right, more people should make their product twice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be better if you do it a second time and he just makes a spell that causes you to explode when you cast it as a gently caress you.

It kinda already does if I'm reading it right. The first version strips most buffs from enemies. The second version strips all buffs from everyone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

So deathloop is everything i wanted it to be, but my suprising favorite thing is the voice actors of the main two characters colt and Julianna. They are both very expressive and very funny, and both of them sell the reality of slowly losing their minds after being stuck in a timeloop for hundreds of iterations very well.

The VA is general are really good in this game, i enjoy many of the random recordings as well.

yeah I had no expectations for any of this going in and was surprised at how absolutely great the voice acting is. seems like there was some very good voice direction in addition to the actors just doing a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The Lone Badger posted:

It kinda already does if I'm reading it right. The first version strips most buffs from enemies. The second version strips all buffs from everyone.

The second version of the spell is probably more situationally useful than the first, but sometimes you need a panic button.