Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Queer's Eye set leaked

https://brickset.com/article/63642/10291-queer-eye-%E2%80%93-the-fab-5-loft-revealed!

Has Lego ever included torsos without hands in a set before?

I've never seen the show, but I'm tempted to buy the set. All the minifigs are full of personality and unique looks, and I like the apartment.

Also those Mario levels are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Sailboat GwP is available again until the 30th. Still the same price though.

Is this US only or something? Don't seem to get it in UK, doesn't get added to basket

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I forgot that gorgeous Creator pickup truck was coming out.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I have no interest in the queer eye apartment but the minifigs are charming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RatHat posted:

Has Lego ever included torsos without hands in a set before?
Apparently it didn't happen this time.

Brickset posted:

the clothes rack provides storage for the alternative torsos. They are displayed without hands on the packaging, but not in the instructions.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
The QE apartment looks great. Price is a little high, but not terrible, and I imagine licensing costs are all over the place for stuff like this. If one was in it for the parts, I'm sure they could recoup a huge amount of the cost by flipping the figs, at least.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Mario levels look great!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

HootTheOwl posted:

Mario levels look great!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

Price is a little high.

Oof. I didn't even look at the price. I thought it was gonna be seventy or eighty. A hundred is too rich for me for an license I'm not into. I will look at the instructions for the couch and fridge and other minibuilds though.

Super glad they are embracing LGBT+ people for a theme and audience though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My best friend is gay and loves JVN so I’m legally required to buy it. She said so. Also I do love Tan…

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like a bad gay because I don’t really dig it at all.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's okay to not dig the commodification of queer identity and culture for mass-market entertainment imo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weedle posted:

it's okay to not dig the commodification of queer identity and culture for mass-market entertainment imo

I was trying to phrase that but didn't want to presume where they were coming from

But yeah as sweet as some episodes are it does kind of taste like more marketing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

I was trying to phrase that but didn't want to presume where they were coming from

But yeah as sweet as some episodes are it does kind of taste like more marketing

It turns out that if you give someone thousands of dollars of free stuff it makes them happier and more confident, who knew???

The show would be a lot more palatable if they were more upfront about that part, but that would get in the way of selling the idea that this fabulous new life is within reach if only you shopped at lifestyle brand store TM

It's fun and full of charming people and they do sprinkle in some genuine good advice that doesn't revolve around buying products, but it gets depressing when you realize that the prescription is always $$$$.

E: I do like the set in spite of it all and think they actually did a good job. I definitely would not buy it for myself but I suspect my wife would like it despite our misgivings.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 15, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah, I enjoy parts of the show (and am pretty straight so I'm not going to comment on anything to do with queer identity), but the parts of the show that tend to rub me the wrong way are when the it seems to celebrate their subjects as being particularly worthy of being lifted out of poverty or getting help with mental or physical health. This is in NO way unique to this show and is kind of my problem with most reality and makeover shows in general. Like it's legitimately great that they help these people get their fledging business on track or whatever, but man does it sometimes feel like a soothing balm for folks to not have to worry about these broader societal issues because the worthy will be rewarded.

Again, I don't think this is intentional and the hosts seem lovely and genuine. I also don't know how the show could address this whilst still keeping its format. I got no answers.

The set itself has grown on me a little. Mostly since I can't think of any other build that would better encapsulate the show. And the likenesses really are stellar.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 15, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
99% of the episodes of the Netflix version are about helping people be more confident in themselves and showing them that a little self care, be it physical, mental, or emotional, helps bring that confidence out. But maybe it's also a plan to sell me facewash and moisturizer, I couldn't say, but my skin looks great and I have Johnathan to thank for that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

99% of the episodes of the Netflix version are about helping people be more confident in themselves and showing them that a little self care, be it physical, mental, or emotional, helps bring that confidence out. But maybe it's also a plan to sell me facewash and moisturizer, I couldn't say, but my skin looks great and I have Johnathan to thank for that.

I think everyone is sleeping on Bobby being the real mvp, "Oh you showed him how to cook eggs and bought a nice hat? Cool, I* remoddled an entire house and restaurant."

I kid, the bits you mention are when the show works best.

*my construction team

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They make that joke in the episode of Big Mouth they all appear on:

So guys, while you were cutting Steve's hair, telling him how he feels, and buying him a shirt, I renovated his entire loving home.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

So guys, while you were cutting Steve's hair, telling him how he feels, and buying him a shirt, I renovated his entire loving home.

Lol, where's my cheque Netflix?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol, where's my cheque Netflix?

be careful what you wish for, you might end up with a credit on big mouth

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Weedle posted:

be careful what you wish for, you might end up with a credit on big mouth

I've got worse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Haha, big mouth strikes again!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Lego Titanic piece count revised down to ~9k. Price est. $629 USD

So it's definitely happening, right? :kiddo: :sureboat:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Big Mouth is a legit great show.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Big Mouth is a legit great show.
Shame it looks so repulsive. Book-by-it's-cover gives me family guy/rick and morty but gross-out-humor vibes.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Lego Titanic piece count revised down to ~9k. Price est. $629 USD

So it's definitely happening, right? :kiddo: :sureboat:
Hope it comes down more... a Titanic/Ship model sounds cool, but that'd probably come out to 800$ Canadian.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Shame it looks so repulsive. Book-by-it's-cover gives me family guy/rick and morty but gross-out-humor vibes.

You're not wrong, but you're not not wrong? I have extremely mixed feelings about it but gave up after a couple seasons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Better late than never.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a very sex positive show that covers a lot of ground and usually handles things quite well. A lot of people would lose their minds over it, but I think it would be healthy to show to adolescents.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Better late than never.
I read that in Cheech Marin's voice before I even opened the image.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Better late than never.

Didn't we know by 1989 that the Titanic wreck broke in two? Did Vigo glue it back together?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe that’s only the front half, smart guy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ah fack

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was on goofing around on stud.io and bricklink and discovered that Technic, Brick 1 x 1 with Axle Hole didn't exist until this year. Whereas a 1 x 1 brick with Technic, Brick 1 x 1 with Hole has been around since '93.

I can't help but wonder what design/production decisions made the new one necessary now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Double post, but idc

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-the-muppets-collectible-minifigures-71033-rumored-for-2022/

I'm a big Muppets fan, but I'm not sure about this. It's the same problem I had with the Adventure Time sets. The fluid motion of the characters is at odds with the blocky nature of legos. I'll see how they look before I make a decision.

Hopefully this means Disney is making a push for more Muppet stuff.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a very sex positive show that covers a lot of ground and usually handles things quite well. A lot of people would lose their minds over it, but I think it would be healthy to show to adolescents.

careful, post stuff like this and you might end up a mod

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deoju posted:

I was on goofing around on stud.io and bricklink and discovered that Technic, Brick 1 x 1 with Axle Hole didn't exist until this year. Whereas a 1 x 1 brick with Technic, Brick 1 x 1 with Hole has been around since '93.

I can't help but wonder what design/production decisions made the new one necessary now.

The 1x1 with axle hole is used a bit in the new Discovery shuttle iirc. One allows for rotation movement the other doesn’t? :shrug:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

deoju posted:

Hopefully this means Disney is making a push for more Muppet stuff.

You mean specifically Muppets Lego stuff, or Muppets in general? Because there is a Muppets Halloween special coming. Of course there's also a Lego Star Wars Halloween so maybe they just needed more Halloween content. This makes me think I need a David S. Pumpkins minifig.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

deoju posted:

Currently putting the Typewriter together a little bit at a time and they feature prominently in the internal structure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looking forward to the 4,000 piece set full of of trans clear i-beams to rebuild fraggle rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lizard Combatant posted:

The set itself has grown on me a little. Mostly since I can't think of any other build that would better encapsulate the show. And the likenesses really are stellar.

I think this should pose the question of whether or not this set needed to exist. I definitely like Lego having more LGBT representation, and Queer Eye is a popular LGBT series so it makes sense, but it doesn't seem like a particularly good fit for Lego imo. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be, maybe a Drag Race set with a wide variety of outfits and some encouragement to make your own? Though with minifigs that may be too limiting.

Joke answer: Billy in the Street set