Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Not the Messiah posted:

I would commit a crime to get an Ace Combat in a Strangereal war that had ww2 tech
Closest to that is The Sky Crawlers on Wii, which also rules. That and Airforce Delta Strike has the one dude who only flies prop planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Cold War Ace Combat would be best Ace Combat.

Starting with Korean era gunfights with jets like F-80s to MiG-9s, and of course Sabres and MiG-15s, then moving on to jousting f-104s and MiG-19s, and then finally ending in more familiar territory with F-4s and MiG-21s at the end.

And then the F-14 becomes the superplane. :getin:

Warad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 15, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Korean era style game also lets them get the gently caress away from drones and some of the bullshit that everything is escalating to. I'd be very curious about what the super weapon / super vehicles would end up being.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wrr posted:

Korean era style game also lets them get the gently caress away from drones and some of the bullshit that everything is escalating to. I'd be very curious about what the super weapon / super vehicles would end up being.

A giant ekranoplan covered in missile launches and a runway to launch fighters.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Its hovering slightly over the water! Our anti-ship torpedoes are useless!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Warad posted:

Starting with Korean era gunfights with jets like F-80s to MiG-9s, and of course Sabres and MiG-15s, then moving on to jousting f-104s and MiG-19s, and then finally ending in more familiar territory with F-4s and MiG-21s at the end.

Rising Squall, the DCS Ace Combat campaign, has the F-14 as the super plane thanks to its ridiculously long range and fast Phoenix missiles.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
WING IN GROUND AIRCRAFT APPROACHING AT MEDIUM SPEED!
YOU HAVE TO INTERCEPT THEM MANUALLY!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wrr posted:

It'd also be a chance for Mihaly to actually show some of those "pilots in every generation" hype he built up for himself.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wrr posted:

The high-tech bullshit everything is escalating to is half the point! Ace Combat without gigantic space cannons and satellite lasers and flying fortresses isn't Ace Combat. :colbert:

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

The high-tech bullshit everything is escalating to is half the point! Ace Combat without gigantic space cannons and satellite lasers and flying fortresses isn't Ace Combat. :colbert:

Not that you can't do that in a 50s/60s setting with a gonzo sci-fi flare to it all.

Like so:

Cat Hatter posted:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The US had enough cold war era "Power everything with nuclear!" ideas for to inspire an AC game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There is absolutely room for stupid ultratech nightmares in a WW2 or Korean War timeline

Bigass flying battleships and the like would make even more sense* in that scenario

* - you know what I mean

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Find a way to create some kind of meteor-based superweapon with WWII tech.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Find a way to create some kind of meteor-based superweapon with WWII tech.

Well Megalith is technically already a quarter way there.

Just replace the ICBM launchers with I dunno, radio guided V2s (the German ones not the Belkan one) and done.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Possible WWII superweapons:

MASERs
Tesla coils
Giant fuckoff artillery
Land battleships
Rigid airships

I know Belka would jump on some kind of proto-Excalibur or lightning generators.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Landkrusers! Splat the Ratte! https://y.yarn.co/a92f1620-f90d-438d-9897-ce3239a1d620_text.gif

Also the ww2 ace combat is secret weapons over normandy

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Korean/50s era superweapon;

Nuclear powered, Mach 3+, armed with multiple nuclear warheads

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
it's almost September 19th

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

#NeverForget

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I don't really have an interest in ww2 aircraft so a ww2 ace combat sounds boring to me but also my interest in aircraft is almost entirely based off seeing cool things in ace combat so

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh so you have some nuclear powered flying machine and you have to divert it's course because you can't crash a nuclear plant on a city.
The tunnel mission is to pop some regulator so it automatically shuts down and harmlessly crashes into the ocean

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lazy Fair posted:

I don't really have an interest in ww2 aircraft so a ww2 ace combat sounds boring to me but also my interest in aircraft is almost entirely based off seeing cool things in ace combat so

Electrosphere 2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waffleman_ posted:

Electrosphere 2

Except it's actually planes in space and it's tie fighter 2

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Rigid airships

Ace Combat 8: Crimson Skies

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A paris gun, but quadruple the size and you've gotta do a tunnel run into the barrel

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thats just literally 6 again

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Let us pilot bigger planes like they're hyper-maneuverable jet fighters. Give me the Gekko-go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let us pilot planes that turn into robots oh wait I made a Macross game

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I personally think it would be very cool to over dramatically stop the first nuclear weapon. I think it could be more immersive not explaining how the doomsday weapon works for half the battle. Maybe don't present it as an atomic bomb at first. Also Belka sets it off on their own soil.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
What's the official count on number of Osean superweapons that were used by the bad guys??

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Warad posted:

This exact sentiment gets repeated in this thread every two months or so, with the exact same planes mentioned, and I gotta be honest, it sounds cool, but I feel like it would actually really suck in practice. How could you possibly differentiate it from modern Ace Combat except by making the planes slower, the turn radii larger, and the missiles less reliable, shorter ranged, and reduced in number, forcing you to rely on manually aimed guns in planes that are, again, slower and clumsier. Maybe the radar would be less useful, and you'd have to rely on a single beam sweep with a 12-second interval. Cool, I love introducing loving input lag into my OODA-loop. Every missile is semi-active and you can only track 1 target at a time. The RWR only gives you a quadrant bearing with a solid buzzer; no missile display on the minimap, no beep with an interval that gets shorter and shorter as it closes in. It would be tedious as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Listen, I love Cold War aviation aesthetics as much as the next girl. The B-58 Hustler made me gay. But Cold War Ace Combat would either be just a superficial reskin that felt exactly the same or it would feel like Ace Combat slathered in glue, and that's not my kink.

Leave "realism" to the dads. Gimme spAce Combat 08: Skies of The Sky Above the Sky.

I would only play a Cold War Ace Combat if it looked, felt, and, most importantly, sounded exactly like the Area 88 OVA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_CYGxZZYg

... Okay, nevermind. I changed my mind. I'm onboard.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Katsuma posted:

I would only play a Cold War Ace Combat if it looked, felt, and, most importantly, sounded exactly like the Area 88 OVA.

I accept that Ace Combat is anime as gently caress, but I will always want it to lean more towards Area 88 than Macross.

A superficial reskin is exactly what a Cold War Ace Combat would be, because otherwise it wouldn't be an Ace Combat game. There's no reason to alter the core gameplay with a bunch of grognardy flight sim stuff, you just leave out the F-22s and railguns.

Let the basic missiles function the way they always have, maybe beef up the guns a bit to reward the people who use them while being thematically appropriate. 60's jets were just as fast and carried as much (or more) ammo as modern stuff, so no need to fiddle with those numbers.

Having generally wider turn radii could be used to make it feel unique within the franchise, and honestly would probably help keep PvP from turning into the same circle-fight missile-spamfest that has always made it tedious. Probably the better pick there would be more variance in aircraft stats (instead of overall reductions) to help each plane feel distinct beyond it's SPW options. Make some planes better at turn fighting, others optimized for boom & zoom, etc.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gimme bigger planes

https://i.imgur.com/3itrP9O.mp4

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Also earlier games like 4, 5, 0 had much slower rolling and turning planes without the super tight high g turns or post stall bullshit of 7 and were better for it. A morgan in 0 manuevers how the f16 handles in 7. You can tone down how much special weapons track by 5-10% to balance out the slower manuevers and cut out the parts system entirely because you wouldnt need it anymore.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

We should go faster, make the baseline mobility for any ol' beater like a lv20 ASF-X in Infinity, and maybe you could add a quick brake/turn system, you could have the engines be on some sort of maneuverable 'limb' or something where you could point it forward and apply some thrust or something, hell, make it so you can aim around you other than just in front, why not, and then--

Waffleman_ posted:

oh wait I made a Macross game

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Robotech: Battlecry was a fun as hell game (even when that was literally all Macross knowledge I had), and a Project Aces developed remake could only be better.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Deeters posted:

Robotech: Battlecry was a fun as hell game (even when that was literally all Macross knowledge I had), and a Project Aces developed remake could only be better.

Guardian mode sucked, but yeah, I loved everything else about that game

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Guys guys guys guys guys guys

spAce Combat: 8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Star Wars: Rogue Ace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Explosionface posted:

Guardian mode sucked, but yeah, I loved everything else about that game

Guardian actually owned massively you just couldn't main it

Had to hot swap to it in city missions to dumb a shitload of missiles quick and then go back to battloid