Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Has there ever been an anime dating sim with text parser adventure elements? If not, I should make it, and thereby win one million dollars for making anime real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Hearts of Iron is first and foremost a historic resource simulation game. In that context it doesn't make sense that German factories that were either staffed by internment camp slaves or were otherwise horribly inefficient but they are just as effective as any other in the game. All you have to do is implement a minor production penalty to Germany and you've acknowledged the historic reality via gameplay effects without being absolutely ghoulish.

This is only a downside if you want Germany to have an unrealistically high chance of winning the war. Sounds bad from a gameplay perspective but I think the game would be a lot better if you simply couldn't play as Germany. I don't see why you would want to.

Playing a grand strategy game about World War 2 and not being able to play as the instigator of that war doesn't sound like a good design decision.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor J Off posted:

Has there ever been an anime dating sim with text parser adventure elements? If not, I should make it, and thereby win one million dollars for making anime real.

Not sure what you mean but if you make anime real I will definitely buy your product.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Playing a grand strategy game about World War 2 and not being able to play as the instigator of that war doesn't sound like a good design decision.

But why? You can't play as the Germans in a lot of FPS games but people don't even question it then.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
isn't one of the most popular mods for hoi the nazi mod that lets you do the Holocaust

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

But why? You can't play as the Germans in a lot of FPS games but people don't even question it then.

Considering the market for those types of games are history obsessed neckbeards that want to play out historical scenarios and what-if's, it'd feel really incomplete if you couldn't have the chance to gently caress around with history from the German point of view. It's the fascination of the what-if scenarios and the impact of a battle going ahistorical on the war itself.

Also it depends on what you mean with "play as Germans". Plenty of WW2 games where the online has you playing as Germany/Axis vs the Allies.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"I don't know why anyone would want to play Germany in a World War II game" has got to be one of the hottest takes in this thread's storied history.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Meme Poker Party posted:

Not sure what you mean but if you make anime real I will definitely buy your product.

A text parser game like zork where you type out the inputs. It will immerse you in the anime as you speak directly to your waifu rather than rely on canned responses with easy-to-reference point outcomes. You know to know her and speak to her to progress

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Considering the market for those types of games are history obsessed neckbeards that want to play out historical scenarios and what-if's, it'd feel really incomplete if you couldn't have the chance to gently caress around with history from the German point of view. It's the fascination of the what-if scenarios and the impact of a battle going ahistorical on the war itself.

Also it depends on what you mean with "play as Germans". Plenty of WW2 games where the online has you playing as Germany/Axis vs the Allies.

Can you honestly say with all seriousness as a HoI4 fan that most German players don't just conquer the world as fascists? Is that the super cool what if we're talking about here?

Because yeah you can fight a civil war as Germany and go democrat but that's a crazy minority. In the end if you want to cater to the hundreds of people who want that fun what-if you end up catering to tens of thousands of the people who download this kind of mod :

site posted:

isn't one of the most popular mods for hoi the nazi mod that lets you do the Holocaust

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's a video game dude. Your average person playing HoI4 isn't getting off at the idea of bringing fascism to a video game world. They're just playing Germany because it's a different scenario from playing all the others.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My point ultimately is that presenting both sides of WW2 as even choices should be re-examined, at it's best it's insensitive and at worst it's normalizing Nazis as "just another faction" which can do some harm. Maybe playing games as Nazis at all is in poor taste and I'm sorry that this is a controversial opinion lol.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

You can play as the germans right now in those games

That is how they will continue to exist

Mainly it's because weirdos who imagine the imaginary world taken over by imaginary fascists don't buy the games

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Playing games at all about a conflict that murdered 75 million people is incredibly insensitive.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's in poor taste to allow you to play as the Zerg without showing you in gruesome detail the horror of innocent civilians, including women and children, being indiscriminately devoured by the Swarm. They're not "just another faction" that requires more Vespene Gas.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Can you honestly say with all seriousness as a HoI4 fan that most German players don't just conquer the world as fascists? Is that the super cool what if we're talking about here?

Because yeah you can fight a civil war as Germany and go democrat but that's a crazy minority. In the end if you want to cater to the hundreds of people who want that fun what-if you end up catering to tens of thousands of the people who download this kind of mod :

That's one of the what-if's yeah. A pretty depressing one, but it could have historically happened. You can also gently caress up your Germany so bad you implode and get rolled by the Soviets. If you're worried about the results of your digital actions upon a non-existent digital world, then I don't know what to tell you. If the problem is that this kind of game attracts shithead neo-nazis, then yeah... it does. No question there, there is a shithead minority that likes these games for their hosed up reasons. But that's true for everything.

If we're going to bring mods into this as well, then we might as well throw out DOOM cause people made pol.wad or the Columbine shooters wads. Shitheads are gonna make shithead content for other shitheads.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a mod for the grognard game that puts fat milkers on all the sweet german tanks

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Playing games at all about a conflict that murdered 75 million people is incredibly insensitive.

gamers think it's HILARIOUS when Gandhi nukes people

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there a mod for the grognard game that puts fat milkers on all the sweet german tanks

Probably no tank milkers, but you can make WW2 very anime if you want!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

No deal I need mama panzerbrustchen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

there is an entire card game for this purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Vptljav-k

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

seems like most ww2 fps games let you play as germans in mutliplayer modes but dont have a single player german campaign

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's a video game dude. Your average person playing HoI4 isn't getting off at the idea of bringing fascism to a video game world. They're just playing Germany because it's a different scenario from playing all the others.

hoi4 is a paradox game and their fanbase is notoriously full of nazi shitheads. maybe not enough to be the "average" player but still. thats a reputation they acquired well before hoi4. as others have pointed out, look at the popularity of holocaust mods

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PinheadSlim posted:

My point ultimately is that presenting both sides of WW2 as even choices should be re-examined, at it's best it's insensitive and at worst it's normalizing Nazis as "just another faction" which can do some harm. Maybe playing games as Nazis at all is in poor taste and I'm sorry that this is a controversial opinion lol.

maybe wargames really aren't your thing

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Rutibex posted:

there is an entire card game for this purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Vptljav-k

Haha wow I was just joshin but as it turns out

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I like to play multiple genres of games at the same time.

Bouncing back and forth. Like giving my brain muscle confusion.

I played CoD World at War alongside LA Noire.

They worked together and had me thinking about the role of a person who had done things in war and now have civilian job.

If you haven’t played they both feature a character that did poo poo in the pacific theatre of WWII and had to come to terms with it

More game pairings should be established is what I’m trying to say is my opinion.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm too depressed to play new games so I'm playing a translated repro cart of wonder project j 2 on n64 and it's pretty enjoyable, if slow.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

this is actually a pretty good idea because a lot of gamers don't read a lot of history. however, cutscenes are so 1997; it should be more like the intro for halflife

They're waiting for you, Gunter, in the *producer makes cutting motion offscreen*

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the sun is down and I am spending Yom Kippur thanking G-d for Shenmue and for allowing Shenmue 3 to happen even if it was too Shenmue for its own good

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I say it wasn't shenmue enough

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
How could it be any more Shenmue? I got a blister from the turtle races and spent hours opening drawers and looking at the cooking utensils in them. Plus the animations are SUPER hosed up.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
It needed to have real life licensed sega arcade games, but everything else was spot on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
All games are Hitler.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hitler would've definitely been a gamer, no question

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Icochet posted:

"He doesn't really hate Jews, he just said he wanted them all killed in a Heated Gamer Moment."

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Some say he started a war because his ELO was too low to join Germany's top esports team.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you study history, WWI was just a Heated Gaming Moment that got out of control, when you think about it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Icochet posted:

Makes sense; the uncontrolled anger, the constant hatred of other races and the mass tantrums in front of an audience.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

imagine if hitler smokled weed and played games? Lmao

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

imagine if hitler smokled weed and played games? Lmao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
do the downfall vid but he's complaining that he can only get stress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Use Downfall so that he’s complaining about his weed tolerance.