Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US plan to win Cold War 2 is to blockade Eurasia. The US knows how to blockade islands, blockading the World-Island should be easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The UK already announced they will have two (small) ships permanently station in Asia after that ugly carrier did a trip in SCS. So I don't know what else will they commit other a new name.

Australia is whatever.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
reminder that all this anti china pivot poo poo started under obama

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I can't even tell who's cucking who in this relationship.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
How do you say lol in mandarin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

How do you say lol in mandarin

lMao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This would also explain why uranium prices spiked last week

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Given that the previous submarine project resulted in massive "budget overruns", I think we can expect a similar level of corruption and grift to nullify any attempt to project power against the PRC.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Agrajag posted:

curious that its western white dudes "taking the lead" and ASEAN are just expected to follow along

If you have dozens of moderately powerful vassal states and you announce this new thing against your major rival, but you only have two of them grinning into the screen like idiots, is that good?

There are more pathetic options though:

The Brits threw a tantrum when the Americans left Afghanistan so uncle Joe is buying them a new shiny toy.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mandoric posted:

Yes, they're being extremely careful to be very specific that these are nuclear-propulsion subs with conventional weapons.

What on earth role those are meant to fill is unclear, other than "Ohios are getting real long in the tooth, let's make the Aussies pay development on the replacement."

E: Have to say, the decision to pronounce your new alliance's name as "Orcus" is the kind of choice more fitting for '00s robot anime than reality. Yet here we are anyway.

In general you use diesel subs for defending coastlines and nuke subs for open ocean warfare. Australia basically wants to be able to sink Chinese ships in Chinese waters in other words.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
aukus

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NationalFile/status/1437833397125189632

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Danann posted:

In general you use diesel subs for defending coastlines and nuke subs for open ocean warfare. Australia basically wants to be able to sink Chinese ships in Chinese waters in other words.

In the abstract, sure. In the practical, what waters are Australian ships going to be in, ESPECIALLY in conflict with China, that aren't in range of home port? And what shooting war with China, in an alliance of nuclear powers, is going to last long enough for extended-range raiders to matter?

I don't think there's deep thought, I don't think there's an operational call at all other than leaving Australia in a Japanlike "one refit away from being a nuclear power" state, I think Scomo gets good boy points (and, if I wanted to spin up the hottest new conspiracy theory, a way to force quarantine-free international traffic to WA and crack their resolve) and Biden gets someone to pay for the problem that the US boomer fleet is nearly literally boomer-aged.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Antonymous posted:

imagine marching your army to a remote backwater part of your former country that's falling the gently caress apart while being invaded by an insanely murderous Japanese empire and your so-called compatriots are trying to stab you in the back at every turn and taking the time to teach the local people how to read and practice some modern medicine rather than looting them blind

just Alpha poo poo

how the cpc ended up gaining control of china is absolutely bonkers and downright foreign to a modern westerner used to the cia meddling in any and all attempts to create even a mild succdem government. march around the entire country (and china, last i checked, is pretty big) like twice and defeat murderous foreign forces? i am still in awe of how they did it. i guess people had a lot more free time before the era of Electronic Posting

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

"No fair only we can do that!" -:911:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

when news of the meeting/announcement was swirling with rumors my guess in the COVID thread was:

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's gonna be SEATO 2

... lol!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I prefer Three Eyes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Femur posted:

Are they not gonna trust sk/japan? Or dogs dont get to eat at the table?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

we can't even build loving ships right or fast enough anymore lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Femur posted:

Are they not gonna trust sk/japan? Or dogs dont get to eat at the table?

assuming they actually thought this through in any depth, the reason why you wouldn't include Japan in any kind of trans-Pacific military alliance is that everybody else has had a bad history with Japan and wouldn't want to be involved with them or be seen as supporting their remilitarization. It's a big reason for why existing treaties/agreements are all technically separate between any one Asian nation, and then the US, but not all these nations taken together

hell, even Australia has had a run-in with Japan

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I hope chairman xi destroys the short bus.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Just a full-blown demon cracker axis y'all, I'm sure it'll be fine, right?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bring the mother loving AUKUS

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gradenko_2000 posted:

assuming they actually thought this through in any depth, the reason why you wouldn't include Japan in any kind of trans-Pacific military alliance is that everybody else has had a bad history with Japan and wouldn't want to be involved with them or be seen as supporting their remilitarization. It's a big reason for why existing treaties/agreements are all technically separate between any one Asian nation, and then the US, but not all these nations taken together

that's a very western centric and naive read of the situation imo.

the correct reasoning is probably something more along the lines that japan and sk would probably have declined membership if offered. they both have a very long history with china and i'm pretty confident that the presiding sentiment in japan at least is that the ongoing western dominance of asia at the expense of china is not in any way a foregone conclusion, and the consequences of picking the wrong team will be far more immediate for japan or sk than they would be for aus, much less the us or the uk.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Long ago in a distant land, I, AUKUS, the demon cracker master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil. But a foolish PLA soldier wielding a magic gun stepped forth to oppose me.
Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time, and flung him into the future where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is AUKUS!

staticman has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Sep 16, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1438301285510533123

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

All the western powers are openly supportive of Japan remilitarizing anyway. The US literally militarized them by selling weapons and giving training lol.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1438310477923188740?s=19

https://twitter.com/franceintheus/status/1438297090845720577?s=19

The French are displeased.

https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/1438252971893141515?s=19

The former French Ambassador to the United States puts it more plainly.

https://twitter.com/StuartKLau/status/1438269647867031559?s=19

Awkward.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
"re"militarizing

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
why is europe getting involved in "indo-pacific strategy". its on the other side of the world

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody trusted Charles de Gaulle, nobody trusts Macron

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Since these subs are being built in Australia and Australia has zero infrastructure or workforce for building or maintaining a nuclear submarine fleet I doubt we'll see the first one in any less than ten years time.

The announced consultation process is going to be 18 months.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

why is europe getting involved in "indo-pacific strategy". its on the other side of the world

the Aussies had already spent some 2 billion on a nuclear sub program in collaboration with the French

apparently the AUS gov't has trashed all that after Biden offered US help with nucs

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the subs is just one part of ramping up bullshit against china. don't see this going anywhere good. fuckin america always has to be at war with someone huh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

this is such dumb framing lol. nz decides not to abandon standing policy following alliance by 3 other countries???

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Can't wait to see which anti-lockdown activist gets picked to be New Zealand's Juan Guaido.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I can't even tell who's cucking who in this relationship.

Thread title material

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

exmarx posted:

this is such dumb framing lol. nz decides not to abandon standing policy following alliance by 3 other countries???

nz is part of an alliance with us/uk/aus already, so a lot of idiots get confused when they're somehow asserting their own sovereignty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mandoric posted:

What on earth role those are meant to fill is unclear, other than "Ohios are getting real long in the tooth, let's make the Aussies pay development on the replacement."
The construction of the first Columbia class should have started this year, at least that's what some admiral told the senate.