Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Seems kind of all over the place what courses care about that stuff and don’t. The course where I play my weekly league wouldn’t let me bring my 3 year old to ride in the cart for 9 without paying greens fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

D34THROW posted:

Wife and I were out with the kiddos the other night and we passed the PGA Superstore in West Palm. She wants to go in with me :neckbeard:

Question for y'all, if she wants to ride along and not play, are a lot of courses going to enforce dress code? She is very much not a khakis-and-blouse type. Jeans and a blouse maybe, but "golf course attire" is not really her style. Should I focus on munis and lower-priced courses?

Khakis are golf friendly, grab a woman's golf top when you go to the Golf shop and you'll be in business.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

anyone itt use a garmin approach s12? i’m considering a golf watch so i don’t have to gently caress around with my phone on the course for yardages and scorekeeping. all i’m really looking for is club recommendations, shot tracking, and a scorecard, and the s12 seems to handle all these things while being relatively affordable with good battery life. worth buying?

If you can afford it I think the S42 is worth the extra 100 dollars. The S42's a touchscreen and the S12 is not, has color and also does some cool pedometer stuff that pairs with Google Fit and other similar fitness apps.

The S12's great, don't get me wrong, but I'd lead towards the S42. The S62 isn't worth the extra 200 dollars IMO.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i considered the s42 because that screen does look nice but it also has half the battery life of the s12. i’m really only interested in the golf features, otherwise i’d probably just get an apple watch

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Wife and I were out with the kiddos the other night and we passed the PGA Superstore in West Palm. She wants to go in with me :neckbeard:

Question for y'all, if she wants to ride along and not play, are a lot of courses going to enforce dress code? She is very much not a khakis-and-blouse type. Jeans and a blouse maybe, but "golf course attire" is not really her style. Should I focus on munis and lower-priced courses?

"Golf course attire" isn't my style either but it's what I wear on the golf course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Take your wife to a golf store and show her all the outfits she can wear. Khaki's and blouse are def not the only options for women's apparel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Enjoy spending $300

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Willzilla posted:

I have learned the zen of the bounce while chipping in the backyard. Today I am enlightened

I spent the better part of an hour practicing chipping at the range last weekend, both off the mat to the first green (maybe 50 yards) and right off the edge of chipping greens both with pretty good consistency, in addition to going out in the backyard whenever I have a few minutes while WFH.

I fully expect to blade many chips 10 yards past the green my next time out.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Women’s golf attire rules is pretty drat lax. She could wear yoga capris and an athletic shirt with a collar and be ok.

It’s really dudewear that’s regulated, in an effort to keep out Florida Man

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Women’s golf attire rules is pretty drat lax. She could wear yoga capris and an athletic shirt with a collar and be ok.

It’s really dudewear that’s regulated, in an effort to keep out Florida Man

'tis a noble effort indeed

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am going to leave these screenshots here as an example of how my round went today. Please keep in mind that the only club that didn't look like this was my putter.

I have never been this angry at both golf, and myself.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean I guess but if I'm playing a muni course gently caress yeah I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I don't give a crap at that point.

MustardFacial posted:

I am going to leave these screenshots here as an example of how my round went today. Please keep in mind that the only club that didn't look like this was my putter.

I have never been this angry at both golf, and myself.

Hah! I used to have rounds like this...oh the memories. The painful, painful memories. Your hand's gotta be throbbing at this point, yeah?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

Hah! I used to have rounds like this...oh the memories. The painful, painful memories.

The entire round was spent trying different things: stance, grip, slower swing, faster swing, slow backswing- fast downswing, etc. Anything I could do to switch it up and try to start moving in the right direction. Nothing worked, every shot looked the same.

Kirios posted:

Your hand's gotta be throbbing at this point, yeah?

I don't know if these Costco balls are exceptionally soft or if I have the swing power of a 9 year old girl, but none of them really hurt. Some of them even felt like a decent shot until I watched the ball laser beam itself straight into the trees.

I still have no loving idea what I was doing wrong or how to fix it so instead I've elected to get drunk and forget about it.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I keep sending the ball right. Like STRAIGHT right off at 45 degrees - not tailing off at the end.

Fine I think. Until I iron this out I'll just aim more left. At which point of course I hit it beautifully straight and go off into different trees.

Why am I like this?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Patrick Reed really needs to fire his social media manager or at the very least take away their Twitter access.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32177937/patrick-reed-likes-tweets-disparaging-captain-steve-stricker-ryder-cup-snub

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Patrick Reed really needs to fire his social media manager or at the very least take away their Twitter access.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32177937/patrick-reed-likes-tweets-disparaging-captain-steve-stricker-ryder-cup-snub

Pretty sure it was determined it's his wife.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MustardFacial posted:

The entire round was spent trying different things: stance, grip, slower swing, faster swing, slow backswing- fast downswing, etc. Anything I could do to switch it up and try to start moving in the right direction. Nothing worked, every shot looked the same.

I don't know if these Costco balls are exceptionally soft or if I have the swing power of a 9 year old girl, but none of them really hurt. Some of them even felt like a decent shot until I watched the ball laser beam itself straight into the trees.

I still have no loving idea what I was doing wrong or how to fix it so instead I've elected to get drunk and forget about it.

On those days, I found I could hit a punch. Punch a low iron off the tee to the fairway, puch a low spinning wedge to close enough to use a putter. Nothing else.

Edit:. Golf? Let me tell you about golf.

Good tee time. Good range warm up. Looks to be a good group, one guy who works at the course, solid golfer (80 years old, probably a 10 handicap).

Tee shot on one? Pop up three wood, 180 yards, ball deep, wet rough, way above my feet. Punch out to fairway, looking to get to my normal drive location. Comes out hot, thru the fairway, deep rough. Punch out to fairway, short of where good second shot would be. 200+ to green. Decide to just hit safely, hit 150 club 125 yards. Lying 4 on an easy par five. Hit lob wedge to 15 feet, two putt for a double bogey. One good shot, the lob wedge.

Finish the round by missing a 6 foot birdie putt for a four over par 76. That is loving golf.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2021

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

That tip about using a hybrid like it's an 8 iron is the gift that keeps on giving. It is my friend now.

I had a great time at the range, very consistent length on shots now which is nice. I also played 9 holes of pitch and putt with my coach and landed on 5 greens from the tee and various degrees of chipping success for the others - because goddamn I love hitting a 9 iron off a tiny tee. It's such a satisfying shot to fire it into the sky and watch it plop down.

He gave me a great cue for chipping close shots - to just literally swing my PW like a putter. It immediately stopped me trying to hoik the ball into the air (inevitably mis-hitting it) and instead made it do the cute little pop up I was actually aiming for.

The search for a new driver continues. He wants me to try something better but says there is no need for me to spend silly money on it so he's still looking for a second hand club for me.

I need a new glove, I've put a hole in this one and can only assume I've been gripping my club far too hard. Are they all much of a muchness - just wear something comfy that gives some grip and I'm good? Definitely getting a black one this time, this got so goddamn grubby so quickly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

ClydeFrog posted:

That tip about using a hybrid like it's an 8 iron is the gift that keeps on giving. It is my friend now.

I had a great time at the range, very consistent length on shots now which is nice. I also played 9 holes of pitch and putt with my coach and landed on 5 greens from the tee and various degrees of chipping success for the others - because goddamn I love hitting a 9 iron off a tiny tee. It's such a satisfying shot to fire it into the sky and watch it plop down.

He gave me a great cue for chipping close shots - to just literally swing my PW like a putter. It immediately stopped me trying to hoik the ball into the air (inevitably mis-hitting it) and instead made it do the cute little pop up I was actually aiming for.

The search for a new driver continues. He wants me to try something better but says there is no need for me to spend silly money on it so he's still looking for a second hand club for me.

I need a new glove, I've put a hole in this one and can only assume I've been gripping my club far too hard. Are they all much of a muchness - just wear something comfy that gives some grip and I'm good? Definitely getting a black one this time, this got so goddamn grubby so quickly.

There's a couple options folks have been buying pages earlier in this thread if you search, seemed like good deals. However, we should all strive to be more like Fred Couples, ditch that poo poo and stop being that rear end in a top hat thats always taking on and off their gloves or searching for it in the cart or complaining about how its getting worn. God made your hands, and you're just spitting in his face with every *RRRRIIIIPP* on the green.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
No glove. Gloves are to keep hands warm
Are your hands cold? No? No gloves.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just put my glove on at the beginning of my round and take it off at the end :shrug:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

i just put my glove on at the beginning of my round and take it off at the end :shrug:

Same, I just do it in the exact style and posture of Jesus from The Big Lebowski.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Same, I just do it in the exact style and posture of Jesus from The Big Lebowski.

me after sinking a long putt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I wear two Mechanix impact gloves so I don't feel the sting when I shank it off the heel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea, put your glove on when you start the round and take it off when you’re done. Unless you’re shooting in the 70s I don’t want to hear how you “can’t get a feel” for your putter with a glove on or anything like that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there was a long thread on /r/golf the other day full of dudes who swear up and down that they have to take their wedding ring off when they golf because it totally ruins their swing lol. sure fellas. definitely nothing to do with wanting to hit on the cart girls.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For anyone whose setting up an indoor simulator, do not go cheap on the mat if you're hitting it off of concrete. I used mine for about a week and started developing some minor wrist pain (stopped after immediately feeling it today). I'm going to shell out for something Fiberbuilt related and I highly suggest you guys do the same.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Yes my glove stays on. I have some extensive scarring on a couple of fingers and it gets really sore without using one.

It would drive me crackers to keep taking it on and off all the time. It's a snug little bugger.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Weedle posted:

there was a long thread on /r/golf the other day full of dudes who swear up and down that they have to take their wedding ring off when they golf because it totally ruins their swing lol. sure fellas. definitely nothing to do with wanting to hit on the cart girls.

My ring comes off. Doesn't affect the game, but does cause the ring to deform.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

I find I get joint pain in my hand if I leave mine on. :shrug:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm sure they exist, but I've yet to meet someone who keeps their glove on while putting and is also a good putter.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Any of y'all play the game WGT by Topgolf or is there a thread for it? Tired of bitching into the wind on r/worldgolftour, where my 16-day-old post is the fourth one on new.

Personally, I use two identical gloves, one on the front and one on the back. Before putting, I take it off and fasten it on the cart windshield so the wind can blow into it like a windsock and dry it off a bit before I put it back on at the next tee. It's Florida and I sweat like a motherfucker.

Honestly, the only time a glove should have come in handy was on the 7th tee at Eagle Marsh during my one high school golf match. It was raining, ground was wet as gently caress, a late-afternoon Florida rainstorm, and I chunked my driver about twenty feet, but the club flew about fifty yards as soon as I released. Slipped right the gently caress out of my hands.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

My ring comes off because of the style, it destroys the fingers next to it and I get nasty blisters.

Also, no glove. Got Dry-Tacs and I love them and it's so much more comfortable with no gloves, especially on a very humid day.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...I was going to say that based on the time I visited Dallas once in June and played golf, you might as well just go full pine tar and tape on your hands as a glove is soaked after 3 shots.

Also, hitting off of old school hard mats is a great way to absolutely destroy your trailing elbow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Thankful I'm left-handed, the ring doesn't even come in to play.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Oh, and anyone who hits on or flirts too hard with the cart girls is an rear end in a top hat.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Oh, and anyone who hits on or flirts too hard with the cart girls is an rear end in a top hat.

Sooooo, 2/3's of golfers then?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I take my glove off between shots to minimize pale-left-hand syndrome. I also leave it off for any chips/pitches/putts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mederlock posted:

Sooooo, 2/3's of golfers then?

I'd put it at half that hit on the cart girl, but yeah, 2/3's being assholes fits the golfer profile.

Anyone in the group ahead of me is an rear end in a top hat, automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My best round and only time ever breaking 100 was a 98. Today we got 16 holes in and I shot an 86. Par 3 and the easiest hole of the course (par 4) were coming up. I will forever be haunted by this.

I had to take a drop after my drive on 16 because it was too dark even though i saw it land right on the edge of the fairway.

3 pars and a birdie (probably my 6th or so ever). The birdie I left a wedge shot on a perfect line short by a foot. One day I’ll get an eagle…

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 16, 2021