Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I mean, it definitely seems like a pathology or some sort of maladaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DasNeonLicht posted:

I mean, it definitely seems like a pathology or some sort of maladaptation

That's it. They model breasts the way the person who does Moon Over June does faces.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
"The bigger the breast, the greater the glory!" - The Ancestor

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1437498054895095808?s=20

:frogsiren: Goons, we have a release date. October 26.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lepers eye holes make him look cartoonishly dead lol.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It's in the epic jail for a year. I played dd1 when the crimson blood expansion came out - how did the game transform from the first bit of open beta to the game we know how?

I suppose I can wait until actual release. I did it with Hades, I can do it with dd2.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 13, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
DD pretty much sucked when it launched on EA. There was a lot of fundamentally broken math that took them several tries to fix, lots of abilities and even entire classes were basically useless, etc.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I wasn't around for the earliest of early access but I remember a lot of very foundational features like corpses came relatively late in development. Giving this thing a year to cook before playing it is probably the best move.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
DD1 changed HUGELY from EA, even the late EA experience. You won't be missing out- you'll be benefitting from everyone elses' suffering. DD is definitely a better game now than it was even back when Crimson Court first came out.

(I will say that Hades in EA was great, but that was because it was really well-done and I got to watch the Good Shade go from a little easter egg guy on your side to being an actual cool chap you get to have lines at who thinks you're the best :buddy:.)

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
A large part of why DD sucked and was terrible early is because the dev was literally figuring everything out, from game dev to game design. In theory DD2 should have a much better EA experience unless there becomes another rolling list of massive mechanic changes over time.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I racked up about forty hours in DD1 early access, decided I liked it and didn't want to be exhausted w/ it for full release and so I shelved it until full release. The game changed quite a bit over EA, when I played the Cove and the DD itself were not in the game, nor do I think all the classes were. The combat meta changed a lot, the early strategy was to just buzzsaw through enemy parties front to back so there wasn't a ton of reasons to look at attacks that inflict status effects (outside of stun maybe), DoTs, or re-positioning. You could also leave one last enemy standing and heal to full on every combat with no stress increases. I dipped on EA shortly before enemy corpses were added. I remember there being a TON of blowback on the inclusion of enemy corpses, which is funny b/c I think it didn't get any flak at all in full release and was definitely a solution that forced the meta into a more interesting, less direct place. One of the co-founders gave a pretty good GDC postmortem on the game that discusses "the corpse meltdown" and other struggles from EA and making their first indie game - the link is set to start at the corpse discussion but I thought the whole talk was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUaGQhlPwo&t=2350s

I will not be doing EA for DD2, mostly because I try to avoid EA by principle (DD1 was an exception) but also gently caress the Epic store. I'm looking forward to seeing what Red Hook can do now that they have been through a lot of those "first time studio/business owner" trials and tribulations and also b/c DD2 is not kickstarted so Red Hook won't have to include bad fluff features like the journal pages. They've earned my trust and what I've seen in the official previews looks promising!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Samovar posted:

That's it. They model breasts the way the person who does Moon Over June does faces.

gently caress you for making me remember what moon over june is

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Boy, those journal pages are 90% bad. Maybe the one about the guy who becomes a fish man is okay but the rest, eesh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Node posted:

gently caress you for making me remember what moon over june is

...you mean your avatar doesn't do that for you all the time?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Bogart posted:

Boy, those journal pages are 90% bad. Maybe the one about the guy who becomes a fish man is okay but the rest, eesh.

The batch written (I think) by Seo for some of the Sunken City mod classes at least managed to be OK, but that's p much the best of the rest. This is why I try and farm them as fast as possible so they stop clogging up potential drat loot spots, honestly.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is going to sound stupid but.... are you supposed to bring the journal pages back to the hamlet?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Another Bill posted:

This is going to sound stupid but.... are you supposed to bring the journal pages back to the hamlet?

Ostensibly but god knows I've never been able to afford to give up one of my extremely precious inventory slots for some poorly written fan fiction

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
better to bring them home when you're doing apprentice level dungeons than have them continuing to appear the entire game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

A whole year of early access through epic?? gently caress.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah, not gonna lie, the Epic exclusivity really kills a bunch of my enthusiasm. I doubt I’m the only one too, and one of the strengths of DD was it had a lot of early access kickstarter/beta testers to work through the systems before release.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Another Bill posted:

Yup. Unless you're on PC and have a mod that lets you either get rid of them or check them off the spawn tables after acquiring them, you need to bring them back or they're just gonna keep showing up.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
And they count as a roll on the loot die from chests etc., so the sooner you bring them all back the better.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is this a safe space for DD shitposts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhEMf8DC50

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So long as it isn't spurple, go ahead.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Look, the guy’s done some good mods. It’s just that nobody is telling him no about ridiculous titties.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Oh hey, my level 6 occultist can go into slot 2 and be pretty handy. What could go wrong?

Seaward Slash, Seaward Slash
DEATHS DOOR
Seaward Slash
MORTAL BLOW

:xcom:

Lesson learned. The basic rear end fishmen hit like a truck at level 5, and the group of three of them can wreck your day in a single turn if they want to and you foolishly left a squishy up front.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So they struck near the end of the turn, then one of them acted first on the new turn? Only the front two can Seaward. The back 2 do Spearfishing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bloodly posted:

So they struck near the end of the turn, then one of them acted first on the new turn? Only the front two can Seaward. The back 2 do Spearfishing.

I guess? I was kinda in shock at that point so I can't say for certain exactly how it went down. I was sitting pretty at 70% or so hp, then was dead before I could take any healing action. The dice were just exceptionally cruel that day, but I shouldn't have been rolling them in the first place.

Anyhoo, just pushed through and finished the game. Funnily enough the nearest I came to getting rolled on the darkest dungeon missions was just a standard battle on the third that got my Hellion and Abomination repeatedly down onto deaths door thanks to some enemy crits. That was right before the boss, so I just burned two campfires to clear the debuff and heal back to full.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Only reason to have occultist in rank 2 is to use his powerful stun, notable for being able to stun the shambler. In fact his CC set seems specifically tuned for this since it gives bonus dmg in low torchlight and bonus stun chance.

The occultist can do decent work in rank 2 by getting his stun off before most enemies will react but this is probably less risky vs fewer, tougher enemies. For reasons described I don't care to risk him in rank 2.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Heya folks. I am the graphics programmer on Darkest Dungeon 2, so I'm probably going to be f5ing this thread furiously when it comes out. I can't tell ya'll anything that hasn't been revealed directly by the studio, but I know offhand everything that has been revealed directly by the studio so if you have a question I may be able to answer it! :eng101:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´m totally fine if the EA period is exclusive for the Epic store. Let their buyers handle the early access teething problems and the developers gets some extra cash for the trouble. As far as I´m concerned, it´s a win-win situation.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Xibanya posted:

Heya folks. I am the graphics programmer on Darkest Dungeon 2, so I'm probably going to be f5ing this thread furiously when it comes out. I can't tell ya'll anything that hasn't been revealed directly by the studio, but I know offhand everything that has been revealed directly by the studio so if you have a question I may be able to answer it! :eng101:

Read the press releases and previews :( There must be something you can share? An opinion on the game compared to the first one? *flutters eyelashes at u*

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Did y'all hire the titty mod guy yet? How much titty in DD2?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can you talk about the change in character proportions from DD1 to DD2?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Will the game be good.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is there a Wayne June voice generator I can use to narrate my life

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

why are the heads so small

please insert the following line of code: headsize *= 1.2 tia

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

whydirt posted:

Can you talk about the change in character proportions from DD1 to DD2?

yeah, sorry to criticize your work straight out of the gate, but the first game's look and feel is immaculate; what I've seen of the sequel looks like fan art or like one of those cartoons where the original series kids are in high school now

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DasNeonLicht posted:

yeah, sorry to criticize your work straight out of the gate, but the first game's look and feel is immaculate; what I've seen of the sequel looks like fan art or like one of those cartoons where the original series kids are in high school now

Trashing the game before it even comes out? lol gently caress this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DasNeonLicht posted:

Why would you say this. Just don't buy it then.