Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bows1 posted:

Licorice Pizza gets a trailer tomorrow and we’re not allowed to watch it :(

Oh poo poo, this movie comes out in like 2 months!

edit; and it has Philip Seymour Hoffman's son?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Between that and Many Saints of Newark, it’s a big year for sons.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

who doesn’t love Spielberg?

He's good, but i'm not going to say I celebrate his entire catalog.

Jurassic Park never did anything for me, but I blame Crichton for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/1438279761751511040?s=10

For this

https://twitter.com/searchlightpics/status/1438140775385026563?s=21

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not a single finger snap, for shame.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

That cast is loving stacked, nothing but Oscar winners, should-be Oscar winners, and best of all, Ron Perlman

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELvKuuXdfCU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's one of my least favorite directors ;)

Wait till you see Jaws!!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

What happened to his stop motion Pinnochio?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Wait till you see Jaws!!!

drat, you got me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

drat, you got me

Wait until you see War Horse

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PeterCat posted:

He's good, but i'm not going to say I celebrate his entire catalog.

Jurassic Park never did anything for me, but I blame Crichton for that.

I want an explanation for this, but I'm also worried I'd find it insufferable.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BonoMan posted:

Well first and foremost I was really into dinosaurs when I was growing up and could not figure out why they had this weird velociraptor instead of a Deinonychus. I suppose velociraptor is the name of an actual dinosaur but it really felt like a marketing choice.

The other thing is that I disagree with at least the Jeff goldblum's characters premise that man should not interfere in God's domain. There seems to be an undercurrent of the idea that creating the dinosaurs was wrong on its face and I don't necessarily agree with that. I did appreciate Jurassic Park 3 for agreeing with my assessment of the goldblum character.

The movie has a lot of good pieces to it but I feel it's a little over long, I didn't really like the child actors, I don't know it just didn't really gel for me.

I feel like I was maybe slightly too old for the movie when it came out because people just younger than me tend to have it as a important part of their childhood.

As far as Spielberg movies made after Jurassic Park I like saving private Ryan though it has a few issues and I thought Munich was really good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Spielberg's a director i worshipped as a lil kid but havent really thought about in a long time. Back then i thought he was like, incapable of making a bad movie.
I might finally get around to seeing his War of the Worlds, heard it was decent post-9/11 anxiety sci fi.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PeterCat posted:

Well first and foremost I was really into dinosaurs when I was growing up and could not figure out why they had this weird velociraptor instead of a Deinonychus. I suppose velociraptor is the name of an actual dinosaur but it really felt like a marketing choice.

Raptors being bigger smarter and "scarier" is a thing in the book, to be fair to Spielberg.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PeterCat posted:

Velociraptor was unknown to the general public at the time and there was one researcher who placed Deinonychus in the Velicoraptor genus and Crichton went with that. That's why Grant is unearthing one in the US.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

BonoMan posted:

You were right

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Spielberg and Lucas owe their careers to their editors because if it wasn't for Verna Fields and Marcia Lucas, both directors would very likely be one and dones, IMHO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Spielberg and Lucas owe their careers to their editors because if it wasn't for Verna Fields and Marcia Lucas, both directors would very likely be one and dones, IMHO.

I think that's a reasonable assertion, yeah.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Spielberg's a director i worshipped as a lil kid but havent really thought about in a long time. Back then i thought he was like, incapable of making a bad movie.
I might finally get around to seeing his War of the Worlds, heard it was decent post-9/11 anxiety sci fi.

The first half of it is good, the back half is utter garbage. Mind you, War of the Worlds as a story has a built in problem that there is no second half to the narrative. The Martians arriving and loving Earth's poo poo up is amazing in every version ever made. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then the Martians die, the end.

It's basically an unsolveable problem, and the closest anyone has ever come to solving it would be... oh gently caress, Independence Day.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Unless you're Akira Kurosawa, Kitano, the Coen brothers you can say this about almost any director lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Editing has always been one the most important parts of filmmaking lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think that's a reasonable assertion, yeah.

I mean it's basically been outright borne out by every oral history from those times as well. Definitely more Lucas than Spielberg.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He's one of my least favorite directors ;)

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

The first half of it is good, the back half is utter garbage. Mind you, War of the Worlds as a story has a built in problem that there is no second half to the narrative. The Martians arriving and loving Earth's poo poo up is amazing in every version ever made. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then nothing happens. Then the Martians die, the end.

It's basically an unsolveable problem, and the closest anyone has ever come to solving it would be... oh gently caress, Independence Day.

I think a great War of the Worlds movie could be made, but the setting can't be contemporary.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

I think a great War of the Worlds movie could be made, but the setting can't be contemporary.

I'd still love an authentic period piece version (and I'm still counting Jeff Wayne's musical version for that anyway), but when the story is set isn't the problem. Genuinely, how do you fix that non-ending? The idea in the book that the invaders get taken down by the tiniest of creatures is a great metaphor for hubris, but anyone who discovered interstellar travel certainly discovered germ theory along the way.

I was half joking when I said Independence Day, but them flying up to the mothership and uploading a "virus" from a macbook is still the closest anyone has come to taking the literal ending of War of the Worlds and doing anything remotely good with it. Plus instead of it being a deus ex bacteria it gives the humans some agency in it as well. Which has to be done otherwise it, again, is just waiting to die for 45 minutes then suddenly the Earth is saved out of nowhere which is NEVER going to be satisfying at all.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

I'd still love an authentic period piece version (and I'm still counting Jeff Wayne's musical version for that anyway), but when the story is set isn't the problem. Genuinely, how do you fix that non-ending? The idea in the book that the invaders get taken down by the tiniest of creatures is a great metaphor for hubris, but anyone who discovered interstellar travel certainly discovered germ theory along the way.

I was half joking when I said Independence Day, but them flying up to the mothership and uploading a "virus" from a macbook is still the closest anyone has come to taking the literal ending of War of the Worlds and doing anything remotely good with it. Plus instead of it being a deus ex bacteria it gives the humans some agency in it as well. Which has to be done otherwise it, again, is just waiting to die for 45 minutes then suddenly the Earth is saved out of nowhere which is NEVER going to be satisfying at all.

Don't know how you can live through these last two years and think that getting clowned by the flu is that farfetched.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

It's not really interstellar travel if they're from Mars. I guess that's neither here nor there, but Bogdanov had interesting ideas about using certain types of gravitational matter to be pulled through space from one body to another rather than pushed, and he was writing only like a decade after Well's day of canisters being shot into space like a gun. I think there are creative ways to tell the story that have yet to be tried.

I believe in Spielberg's film the ships are just sitting around underground, which was an incredibly lazy take.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Dillbag posted:

Also, the actors who appeared in the films. Oh, and the set decorators. Not to mention the sound editors. Can't also forget the special effects teams.

Seriously this is the most banal observation movie nerds like to make and it's utterly meaningless

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I believe in Spielberg's film the ships are just sitting around underground, which was an incredibly lazy take.

They are - the Martians shoot down into them in little pods or something.

I will say the effects and the tripod horns are really sick.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They are - the Martians shoot down into them in little pods or something.

I will say the effects and the tripod horns are really sick.

Spielberg's version with the ships coming out of the ground was just amazing, it is unsettling even to this day.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Dillbag posted:

yikes what a take

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also if you're familiar with Boston the ending is really funny because that one area that survived where their family is is one of the richest neighborhoods.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 16, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

It's not really interstellar travel if they're from Mars. I guess that's neither here nor there, but Bogdanov had interesting ideas about using certain types of gravitational matter to be pulled through space from one body to another rather than pushed, and he was writing only like a decade after Well's day of canisters being shot into space like a gun. I think there are creative ways to tell the story that have yet to be tried.

The Martian cylinders being embedded in the ground after they were shot through space is true to the original story though. They just spent longer down there, that's all. At least that was an attempt to kinda sorta deal with WotW's third act problem. Just been down there so long in hibernation they weren't ready for the world above. Of all the issues I had with Spielberg's version, there's nothing wrong with the first half at all.

And it's not to say there haven't been good sci-fi stories about breaching quarantine procedures (Alien), or bad sci-fi stories about breaching quarantine procedures (Alien Covenant), but they both are on smaller scales.

Electronico6 posted:

Don't know how you can live through these last two years and think that getting clowned by the flu is that farfetched.

I'm currently on my 4th watch of the 1970s BBC show Survivors, which is basically The Stand without the supernatural element, or The Walking Dead but without zombies. You can do great stories about a flu going to town on a species. It's just the sudden "surprise, everyone fall down now" ending that feels out of nowhere. It was just as bad when the first of the modern Planet of the Apes films decides to just casually kill 95% of the world's population during the end credits and call me an old fashioned stick in the mud for traditional story structure, but I just can't gently caress with events that big coming out of nowhere and not being set up and/or explored properly.

I will still continue to watch every adaptation of War of the Worlds ever made. Though at this point, I kind of wish they'd just do another adaptation of The Tripods and actually do all three books this time. Just give me giant alien steampunk walking machines strolling around picking up humans please.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

V/H/S 94 trailer just dropped. I really like the first one, like most of the second one (literally gently caress the last segment that ends with a dog dying :mad:) but after V/H/S Viral turned out to stink more than a warmed up turd on a hot summer's day, I'm prepared for disappointment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMp6_292U8

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 16, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Aliens who take thousands of years with their technology not changing coming to earth, then coming back after some millennia and not being prepared for how quickly humans have advanced is a cool trope, and I always thought maybe it applied to germs on earth also. Or human intervention screwed up the planet so quickly and so much that the aliens weren't equipped for it, which could be a commentary on climate change also with the right writer.

V/H/S movies are great. I can't remember them each enough to tell them apart, but looking it up, yeah Viral stunk. Parallel Monsters was the only good bit, and just to see how absurd it could get with the parallel dimension.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CelticPredator posted:

Editing has always been one the most important parts of filmmaking lol

same with Thelma for Scorcese, hes used her for every movie hes done.

RIP Sally Menke

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LifeLynx posted:

Aliens who take thousands of years with their technology not changing coming to earth, then coming back after some millennia and not being prepared for how quickly humans have advanced is a cool trope, and I always thought maybe it applied to germs on earth also. Or human intervention screwed up the planet so quickly and so much that the aliens weren't equipped for it, which could be a commentary on climate change also with the right writer.

V/H/S movies are great. I can't remember them each enough to tell them apart, but looking it up, yeah Viral stunk. Parallel Monsters was the only good bit, and just to see how absurd it could get with the parallel dimension.

I dig the version where ignorant humans are oblivious both to the Tripod’s attacks and the cause of their demise at a hostile environment, basically the Frank Grimes of alien invasions

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Parkingtigers posted:

I will still continue to watch every adaptation of War of the Worlds ever made. Though at this point, I kind of wish they'd just do another adaptation of The Tripods and actually do all three books this time. Just give me giant alien steampunk walking machines strolling around picking up humans please.

I would love for a proper adaptation of the Tripods trilogy to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

The Martian cylinders being embedded in the ground after they were shot through space is true to the original story though. They just spent longer down there, that's all. At least that was an attempt to kinda sorta deal with WotW's third act problem. Just been down there so long in hibernation they weren't ready for the world above. Of all the issues I had with Spielberg's version, there's nothing wrong with the first half at all.

And it's not to say there haven't been good sci-fi stories about breaching quarantine procedures (Alien), or bad sci-fi stories about breaching quarantine procedures (Alien Covenant), but they both are on smaller scales.

I'm currently on my 4th watch of the 1970s BBC show Survivors, which is basically The Stand without the supernatural element, or The Walking Dead but without zombies. You can do great stories about a flu going to town on a species. It's just the sudden "surprise, everyone fall down now" ending that feels out of nowhere. It was just as bad when the first of the modern Planet of the Apes films decides to just casually kill 95% of the world's population during the end credits and call me an old fashioned stick in the mud for traditional story structure, but I just can't gently caress with events that big coming out of nowhere and not being set up and/or explored properly.

Spielberg's WotW is not an especially good movie. But goddamn its amazing on a scene to scene basis. So many amazing moments and thrill rides.

It's a shame that he's too sappy and sentimental to land it correctly.