Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What if I love AEW and don't care about NXT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

the term stan is used for the same thing now, but Stan really is just using a name, while homer isn't. i'm becoming increasingly frustrated that people keep thinking about Homer Simpson the cartoon character. everyone is doing that.

Apologize to Homer Bailey.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shard posted:

Look at the ratings. No one cares about NXT.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Incredible

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Shard posted:

I will straight up admit I have an anti-WWE bias, I don't care, I still enjoy professional wrestling

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I mean the obvious retort is that WWE isnt wrestling— it’s sports entertainment

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

flatluigi posted:

they've got you there
https://twitter.com/CounselorTejada/status/1437621973887111169

now you are the egg that was chosen

the eggs that were chosen is actually the name of my 2008 era ROH style stable

Zombie Lemur posted:

Bringo Breakker

Shes the EW world ladies' champion

If I was going to watch NXT now I'd have to tune into.... AEW and a bunch of indie shows since they fired everyone?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The Night The Egg Was Chosen… Kimona Wanalaya laid an egg

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/wwe_wwf_Junkie/status/1438317722308317189?s=20

*in the Bryan Alvarez voice*

HOTSHOTTING

MATCHES

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Every time I'm dumb enough to click through to that account, I know it's my own fault, and read the other takes I'm beginning to doubt this is real and might just be a satire account.

But I know that's just wishful thinking.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’s dumb too when you find they’ve been booking that match/venue with a wink and a nod that a Danielson was gonna be the main event. Just like they booked the Chicago show with a wink and a nod that Punk will be there.

Goddamn that AEW for following through on things I like. Just dastardly behavior.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wtf is "hotshotting" in this context? I only know the term as being a type of emergency courier.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

That guy can't possibly have a job, because I see him pop up on every wrestling Twitter thread I ever click through. It doesn't matter what it is he's always there crying about AEW.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
it's a word for any short-term promotional tactic where you just throw together a big match or have an upset finish or do something big to get people talking or sell out a big venue

it is not inherently bad or negative but WWE primarily does it poorly by doing things that make no sense, have no followup and most of the time pretending they never happened and it's at the expense of their titles meaning anything. years of WWE being the only game in town has morphed it into a primarily negative term and now that there's a company that mostly does it well you get the zealots doing the "there's no difference between good and bad things" routine with a term they've heard before

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

wtf is "hotshotting" in this context? I only know the term as being a type of emergency courier.

in wrestling it just means rushing something on tv to pop a rating. for the mutants it now means doing anything big on any show.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

"Hotshotting" here refers to rushing through an angle in order to drive up audience interest in the short term.

Which makes that statement from that twitter guy real dumb, because no matter the result it's p clear that next week isn't the climax of the Omega/Danielson feud.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

CommonShore posted:

It's a desperation booking move, usually in the context of giving away a big match or big debut without any buildup in an attempt to stir up a short term ratings or interest boost.

A good example would be WWE throwing out the card for Raw and going with a Lashley/Orton title match because WWE beat them in the key demo last week.

An even better example would be that time WWE tried to book Lesnar to beat Austin in the opening round of the 2002 King of the Ring tournament.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CommonShore posted:

They mean it like “doing something reactively without much thought” which isn’t really what hotshotting means in wrestling context. And also untrue.

Hotshotting typically refers to bouncing the title around to create an air of excitement.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CommonShore posted:

Hot shot booking is when you move titles around between people with no plan other than the idea of deciding to have a moment, WCW was infamous in it during its waning years where belts would change hands almost bi-weekly.

The reason its coming up is because WWE hotshotted the WWE belt to Big E when for the last few months he had been building a feud with Roman Reigns for the Universal title. It doesn't lead anywhere, it was just announced on the day of it happening with no build, and it was just to make a moment. Importantly leading to this they moved the PPV main event to this Raw thus killing that build too by giving away a PPV main event for free they've been building to.

Now they're trying to claim hotshotting to do with anything being scheduled. In this case giving away Bryan-Omega on free TV when it is a PPV main event and that's a hotshot because...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

it's a word for any short-term promotional tactic where you just throw together a big match or have an upset finish or do something big to get people talking or sell out a big venue

it is not inherently bad or negative but WWE primarily does it poorly by doing things that make no sense, have no followup and most of the time pretending they never happened and it's at the expense of their titles meaning anything. years of WWE being the only game in town has morphed it into a primarily negative term and now that there's a company that mostly does it well you get the zealots doing the "there's no difference between good and bad things" routine with a term they've heard before

thanks!

yea ok posted:

in wrestling it just means rushing something on tv to pop a rating. for the mutants it now means doing anything big on any show.

thanks!

Cerebral Bore posted:

"Hotshotting" here refers to rushing through an angle in order to drive up audience interest in the short term.

Which makes that statement from that twitter guy real dumb, because no matter the result it's p clear that next week isn't the climax of the Omega/Danielson feud.

thanks!

Claytor posted:

It's a desperation booking move, usually in the context of giving away a big match or big debut without any buildup in an attempt to stir up a short term ratings or interest boost.

A good example would be WWE throwing out the card for Raw and going with a Lashley/Orton title match because WWE beat them in the key demo last week.

An even better example would be that time WWE tried to book Lesnar to beat Austin in the opening round of the 2002 King of the Ring tournament.

thanks!

coconono posted:

They mean it like “doing something reactively without much thought” which isn’t really what hotshotting means in wrestling context. And also untrue.

Hotshotting typically refers to bouncing the title around to create an air of excitement.

thanks!

Lid posted:

Hot shot booking is when you move titles around between people with no plan other than the idea of deciding to have a moment, WCW was infamous in it during its waning years where belts would change hands almost bi-weekly.

The reason its coming up is because WWE hotshotted the WWE belt to Big E when for the last few months he had been building a feud with Roman Reigns for the Universal title. It doesn't lead anywhere, it was just announced on the day of it happening with no build, and it was just to make a moment. Importantly leading to this they moved the PPV main event to this Raw thus killing that build too by giving away a PPV main event for free they've been building to.

Now they're trying to claim hotshotting to do with anything being scheduled. In this case giving away Bryan-Omega on free TV when it is a PPV main event and that's a hotshot because...

thanks!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yw

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

can't believe that AEW are going to put on a really big match in front of the largest crowd they've ever drawn.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Its important to keep in mind, these people are using a 1998 definition of hotshotting in 2021. The primary revenue stream is TV and you have to do stuff on TV. The problem is that WWE cant build for poo poo and just does stuff on a week's notice.

They basically killed Keith Lee, Adam Cole and NXT all at the same time this way. And are probably about to do the same to Big E and Bob Lash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Infamous examples of hotshots:

Hulk Hogan over Yokozuna
Goldberg over Hulk Hogan
Most of the history of TNA title after Jeff Jarret's Reign of Terror
EVIL over Tetsuya Naito

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone trying to poo poo on AEW without calling it BringoEW isn't trying hard enough

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

Infamous examples of hotshots:

Hulk Hogan over Yokozuna
Goldberg over Hulk Hogan
Most of the history of TNA title after Jeff Jarret's Reign of Terror
EVIL over Tetsuya Naito

EVIL won a tournament and was long planned to be elevated into the main event. Weird and bad doesnt automatically mean hotshot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

EVIL won a tournament and was long planned to be elevated into the main event. Weird and bad doesnt automatically mean hotshot.

Does JBL count? Because he always felt hotshotted to me. One week he's part of a mid level tag team. By the next ppv he wins the title.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wasnt watching then but isnt the urban legend that HHH didn't want to go to SmackDown so they had to quickly elevate someone?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

IIRC it was going to be Lesnar getting his win back, but of course, Lesnar left the day after Mania 20, and they'd always planned on the Triple H/Michaels/Benoit rematch in Alberta, so JBL was the next best thing for whatever reason

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A literal alternate reality.

https://twitter.com/TheLouisDangoor/status/1438502081736830978

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bron Breakker surely won’t have to work twice as hard to get recognition with a name like BRON BREAKKER

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dangoor'd again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a mote of something to that in that the weight of expectations can be a problem but... WWE will just say he's a Steiner in 3 weeks time.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

A literal alternate reality.

I think they prefer to call it England.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

That guy can't possibly have a job, because I see him pop up on every wrestling Twitter thread I ever click through. It doesn't matter what it is he's always there crying about AEW.

what's funnier is one of his counterparts that he hates, I forget her name, at least leveraged her bullshit into a patreon/onlyfans or something for money. this guy just tweets all day for no fuckin reason

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

Bron Breakker surely won’t have to work twice as hard to get recognition with a name like BRON BREAKKER

Correct. More like three or four times as hard.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DLC Inc posted:

what's funnier is one of his counterparts that he hates, I forget her name, at least leveraged her bullshit into a patreon/onlyfans or something for money. this guy just tweets all day for no fuckin reason

That would be GirlOnCinema, the woman who desperately wants Corncob to acknowledge that she exists. It's kind of sad really.

https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1354174909593890816?s=20

Here she is trying to compare Tay Conti's in-ring skills to Eva Marie of all people. :argh:

https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1437436963758477315?s=20
https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1437516380954316808?s=20

'Make Tay Conti a manager because she sucks in the ring' sure is a goddamn take, isn't it?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

You'd have to be dumb as hell not to see that Anna Jay wrestles way beyond her years. She gets ring presence in a way that even a lot of veterans absolutely do not.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The fact that the reaction to Anna's very first tv match was enough to get her a contract by the end of the week speaks volumes about her skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Anyone trying to poo poo on AEW without calling it BringoEW isn't trying hard enough

This week, WWE's crying "The Bringos took my rating" :v:

E:

Vandar posted:

That would be GirlOnCinema, the woman who desperately wants Corncob to acknowledge that she exists. It's kind of sad really.

https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1354174909593890816?s=20

Here she is trying to compare Tay Conti's in-ring skills to Eva Marie of all people. :argh:

https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1437436963758477315?s=20
https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1437516380954316808?s=20

'Make Tay Conti a manager because she sucks in the ring' sure is a goddamn take, isn't it?

Leafing thru her Twitter feed, I came to the conclusion that this lady out her drat mind

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 16, 2021