Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It'd certainly be a good way of establishing how terrifying male channelers are, yeah. I hope they don't cut out Thom's speech about Owyn, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It'd certainly be a good way of establishing how terrifying male channelers are, yeah. I hope they don't cut out Thom's speech about Owyn, tbh.

I could see them shifting Owyn to be closer to the main timeline. i.e he stilling and death become the impetus for Thom to go to the Two Rivers. The point would be to set up a couple of examples as counterpoints to Rand - you have Owyn, doomed by no fault of his own with no ta'averen protections and no teachers, and Logain, clearly deadly and somewhat favored but not enough to keep him safe because the Pattern won't accept any substitutions, only the real deal Dragon Reborn.

But yeah they should definitely keep that speech.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

I could see them shifting Owyn to be closer to the main timeline. i.e he stilling and death become the impetus for Thom to go to the Two Rivers.

How does that work? Thom doesn't have any way to know that there's another male channeller in the Two Rivers. He wouldn't even have a reason to follow Moiraine because she's Aes Sedai - she's obviously not Red Ajah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think as in Thom is like gently caress THIS I'M OUT and bails out to escape to some bumfuck place in the middle of nowhere

Which is implied is what happens in the books, just not all at once.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think as in Thom is like gently caress THIS I'M OUT and bails out to escape to some bumfuck place in the middle of nowhere

Yeah you have the whole scene in Eye of the World between Thom and Moraine where they both recognise each other and are having this whole conversation that goes over Rand and the rests head.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250846402

Commonly referred to as the Big Book of Bad Art. If you click on the "Look inside" you can see a few more examples along with some of the old book covers.

totally an expression that exists

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Yeah you have the whole scene in Eye of the World between Thom and Moraine where they both recognise each other and are having this whole conversation that goes over Rand and the rests head.

I think Thom seeing Moiraine in Emond's Field is one of the few times he's genuinely caught off-guard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, it does. Thom and Morgase fought over her connection with the Tower and specifically with Elaida because Owyn was gentled without first being taken to Tar Valon. When her response was "who the gently caress do you think you are?" he decided that life on the road had a distinct appeal when compared to not living in the palace.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I gotta say though, for as much as darrell k sweet's work generally missed the mark both artistically and subject matter wise it is still invocative as gently caress and makes me want to exist in that strange world.

One of my first Amazon purchases. I still have that and the BBoBA sitting near my computer. I open the artbook occasionally to get a good chuckle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

No, it does. Thom and Morgase fought over her connection with the Tower and specifically with Elaida because Owyn was gentled without first being taken to Tar Valon. When her response was "who the gently caress do you think you are?" he decided that life on the road had a distinct appeal when compared to not living in the palace.

Yeah but I had the impression he'd been on the road for at least 15 years or so, given how old Elayne would have been to only have vague memories of him.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i wonder if the show will be able to to at least somewhat convey that rand is basically a walking atomic bomb and everyone around him knows this and basically flinches every time he has a weird outburst

There's a scene in....gods, I forget which book, it's just after Rand takes possession of the Stone of Tear. There's this big thing in the throne room or audience chamber or whatever it is you have in the Stone, and Rand idly channels for some reason, and one of the noblewomen is so horrified that she up and vomits, right there, because there's a male channeler and as everyone knows, male channelers are insane and dangerous.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

There's a scene in....gods, I forget which book, it's just after Rand takes possession of the Stone of Tear. There's this big thing in the throne room or audience chamber or whatever it is you have in the Stone, and Rand idly channels for some reason, and one of the noblewomen is so horrified that she up and vomits, right there, because there's a male channeler and as everyone knows, male channelers are insane and dangerous.

It would be book 4. That's Tear, though, where they're almost as channelophobic as the Seanchan.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Doesn't matter at all that it's tear. He straight up drives a woman away by even mentioning he might channel near her in Cairhien, for example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't matter at all that it's tear. He straight up drives a woman away by even mentioning he might channel near her in Cairhien, for example.

Wasn’t that when he was pretending to be touched by the madness to get rid of one of the girls Colavaere sent to seduce him?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Wasn’t that when he was pretending to be touched by the madness to get rid of one of the girls Colavaere sent to seduce him?

"pretending"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like how Nynaeve just randomly learns to heal insanity and it’s never really mentioned again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Invalid Validation posted:

I like how Nynaeve just randomly learns to heal insanity and it’s never really mentioned again.

It's not that random. She extrapolates it from "healing" Compulsion.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s random in the sense it does nothing for the narrative other than say to the reader: “Everything in the world can be fixed with magic.”

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think magical insanity being curable by magic is not unreasonable. It's not like she discovered a cure for schizophrenia. And in a way, it's a useless skill once she (and those she teaches the weave to) have healed all the current Saidin users, since there won't be another taint for six ages.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t touch my taint Nynaeve.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wouldn't call it Unreasonable, but what annoyed me about the series is that so many times throughout all the books characters will be like, "You fool, X is impossible" regarding one thing or another, and every time eventually someone goes and does X and I just don't like that style of storytelling / world building.

I'd much rather see Y do X and then have everyone be like, "yo hold up, that shouldn't be possible"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

It’s random in the sense it does nothing for the narrative other than say to the reader: “Everything in the world can be fixed with magic.”

It's magic, dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Voyager made me hypersensitive to "plot conflict derived entirely from in-universe technobabble, resolved entirely through in-universe technobabble"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I feel like WoTs arcanobabble is slightly more well thought out than Voyager's technobabble.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sab669 posted:

I'd much rather see Y do X and then have everyone be like, "yo hold up, that shouldn't be possible"

That's the Aes Sedai reaction to Nynaeve's weird healing, a bunch of clutching at skirts because fire is involved you fool child you'll kill the-oh hey what how'd that work show me again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you have to keep in mind that a lot of poo poo in the series isn't people doing the impossible, it's them doing stuff that was most likely already done in the past but then the world got upheaved and everyone forgot how to do it and now they steadfastly refuse to do a variety of things that might possibly lead to doing the stuff that already got accomplished forever ago because they're sticks in the mud

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah people doing actually new stuff that wasn't done in the Age of Legends is pretty rare (and mostly seems to be Nynaeve).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pleads posted:

That's the Aes Sedai reaction to Nynaeve's weird healing, a bunch of clutching at skirts because fire is involved you fool child you'll kill the-oh hey what how'd that work show me again.

That's their reaction, after how many books of everyone going "ooooo you got stilled/gentled, you may as well just lay down and die right now"?

Johnny Joestar posted:

you have to keep in mind that a lot of poo poo in the series isn't people doing the impossible, it's them doing stuff that was most likely already done in the past but then the world got upheaved and everyone forgot how to do it and now they steadfastly refuse to do a variety of things that might possibly lead to doing the stuff that already got accomplished forever ago because they're sticks in the mud

Something being literally impossible and being perceived as impossible by every living person for generations are virtually the same thing in my book.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 16, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LegoMan posted:

totally an expression that exists

Seems like everyone in Randland is suffering from methadone/colloidal silver poisoning, the Dark One getting real

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Literal ages, I don't understand your point though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Colonel Cool posted:

Yeah people doing actually new stuff that wasn't done in the Age of Legends is pretty rare (and mostly seems to be Nynaeve).

Its not that rare. The Seafolk channelers have greater ability to manipulate the weather than they did in the Age of Legends, the Warder Bond is an entirely new thing most of the Forsaken think is insane they've managed to discover, you have the Aiel picking apart weaves in a way that people are sure is going to blow up (and then doesn't) etc.

There's a pretty good mix throughout the books of re-doing 'lost' stuff from the AoL and creating new stuff that wasn't in the AoL. Some of the best scenes in the series are when we get a look inside the heads of the Forsaken while they're trying to square how the 'backwards and primitive' Aes Sedai have managed to figure out things that were just absolutely thought to be impossible in the AoL.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I heard a theory that Nynaeve might have a talent that actually lets her "suss out" a weave to heal an injury, kind of like how Aviendha can read ter 'angreal. That makes things involving her make much more sense.

Otherwise we have t pretend that all of the Aes Sedai in the age of legends and during the breaking of the world which lasted for 100+ years just couldn't understand what they were well acquainted with as well as some wonder kid who didn't know what channeling was 3 years ago.

Torrannor posted:

I think magical insanity being curable by magic is not unreasonable.

It's well established in the setting that wounds caused by shadow taint can't really be healed, and this just kinda flies in the face of it and is never really addressed again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Voyager made me hypersensitive to "plot conflict derived entirely from in-universe technobabble, resolved entirely through in-universe technobabble"

yeah

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I heard a theory that Nynaeve might have a talent that actually lets her "suss out" a weave to heal an injury, kind of like how Aviendha can read ter 'angreal. That makes things involving her make much more sense.

Otherwise we have t pretend that all of the Aes Sedai in the age of legends and during the breaking of the world which lasted for 100+ years just couldn't understand what they were well acquainted with as well as some wonder kid who didn't know what channeling was 3 years ago.

It's well established in the setting that wounds caused by shadow taint can't really be healed, and this just kinda flies in the face of it and is never really addressed again.

To be fair, she can't actually heal the damage the taint has done. She can remove the taint and stop it from affecting them further, but it says in the text that any insanity or damage they've already sustained is not fixed. It just won't get worse so you don't have to worry about them going fully off the deep end if they're still in the 'keeping a handle on it' phase.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also nynaeve being good at 'fixing' things that were wrong with people always made at least some amount of sense to me, because the books make a big point that people from other cultures tend to find ways to utilize their channeling that aes sedai never really consider. she ended up as a village wisdom in the two rivers, a little area that was basically entirely ignored by the aes sedai for forever, and had years of working to cure people in 'unconventional' ways and actually approached it from an angle that none of the others had been willing to pursue because they assumed they would just blow someone up if they did.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

To be fair, she can't actually heal the damage the taint has done. She can remove the taint and stop it from affecting them further, but it says in the text that any insanity or damage they've already sustained is not fixed. It just won't get worse so you don't have to worry about them going fully off the deep end if they're still in the 'keeping a handle on it' phase.

What? It says that people who are gentled do not regain their sanity. The only example I remember on screen of someone healed was the Asha'man who was seeing Myrdraal in the shadows who stopped seeing them after he was healed , which would be in direct contradiction to that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What? It says that people who are gentled do not regain their sanity. The only example I remember on screen of someone healed was the Asha'man who was seeing Myrdraal in the shadows who stopped seeing them after he was healed , which would be in direct contradiction to that.

Pulling up the text

quote:

No, she thought. No, I can’t just sit back. She Delved deeper. The darkness had tiny, thornlike projections stuck into Naeff’s mind. She ignored the people gathering around her, and inspected those thorns. She carefully used weaves of Spirit to pry one free. It came out with some resistance, and she quickly Healed the spot where it had punctured Naeff’s flesh. The brain seemed to pulse, looking more healthy. One by one, she pried the others free. She was forced to maintain her weaves, holding the barbs back, lest they plunge down again. She began to sweat. She was already tired from sweeping the area clean, and no longer could spare concentration to keep the heat off her. Tear was so muggy. She continued working, preparing another counterweave. Once she had pried up each and every thorn, she released her new weave. The dark patch undulated and shook, like something alive.
Then it vanished.
“They’re gone,” Naeff said. “The Fades…I can’t see them anymore.” He blinked. “Why would Fades be hiding in the shadows anyway? If I could see them, they’d have killed me, and—” He looked at her, focusing. “What did you do?”

Looks like you're right and I was mis-remembering some of it based on her diagnosis and conversation with Rand a few pages later. I really should re-read the last 3 books, I've only read them twice.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

Its not that rare. The Seafolk channelers have greater ability to manipulate the weather than they did in the Age of Legends, the Warder Bond is an entirely new thing most of the Forsaken think is insane they've managed to discover, you have the Aiel picking apart weaves in a way that people are sure is going to blow up (and then doesn't) etc.

There's a pretty good mix throughout the books of re-doing 'lost' stuff from the AoL and creating new stuff that wasn't in the AoL. Some of the best scenes in the series are when we get a look inside the heads of the Forsaken while they're trying to square how the 'backwards and primitive' Aes Sedai have managed to figure out things that were just absolutely thought to be impossible in the AoL.

Yeah sorry, I specifically meant over the course of the series itself. There's plenty of new things, but most of those have been developed over thousands of years. I was talking about new things that someone spontaneously learns by herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I wonder if we're gonna see the Choedan Kal scene from TGH or if it'll just be cut entirely