Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deltarune chapter 2 releases on Friday at 8 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dmboogie posted:

sea of thieves is pretty cool with friends but the updates can only do so much for the game’s biggest issues (land combat is clunky and bad-feeling even with the new enemy types they’ve added, there’s still zero progression to speak of). it’s not comparable to sid’s pirates and i definitely wouldn’t recommend it if you’re solo

90% of the game’s appeal is the dopamine ‘thunk’ you get when you successfully dig up a treasure chest with your shovel but tbf it’s a very good thunk
The fact that there's no progression is one of the game's best features.

I also wouldn't recommend it solo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

Deltarune chapter 2 releases on Friday at 8 PM.

Wow I guess it's been a few years but man that flew by. I got the impression that "Chapter 1" was just sort of a demo and the rest of the game would release all at once from Toby's blog posts when the first part came out, but I guess that isn't the plan anymore. Do we know if this one is also free?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Palpek posted:

I feel like I'll finish the game with a ton of leads and secrets still intact. The ammount of relations between events seems insane. It's a game where entire endings could be kept hidden from the playerbase for years.

It’s a lot more shallow than it seems. There are only a few events where what you do will affect what happens later that day, almost all content is self contained or of the «learn a pass code somewhere else» kind.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

Eh, isn't that most MMO's on Steam? Most that I've played through Steam (FFXIV, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes years ago) basically download their launchers through Steam and then download the actual game/updates through the launcher.

I'm betting most companies don't want to wait for the patch to propagate through Valve's servers and just use their own to make sure there isn't a delay or something.

has nothing to do with MMO or not, its how the game is programmed to be patched/updated.

the patch is ultra small and the download too (blue bars), and all the rest is drive activity, meaning the game has to unpack tons of GB and then repack that poo poo to "install" the patch. This frequently happens with Unreal Engine games for example. Aliens Fireteam was the last offender I got.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

haldolium posted:

has nothing to do with MMO or not, its how the game is programmed to be patched/updated.

the patch is ultra small and the download too (blue bars), and all the rest is drive activity, meaning the game has to unpack tons of GB and then repack that poo poo to "install" the patch. This frequently happens with Unreal Engine games for example. Aliens Fireteam was the last offender I got.

It's been talking about as if this is poor behavior? Delta updates are a thing, and if a patch touches 500 small things, code or assets either, every small thing needs to be decompressed, altered, then re-compressed. People care strongly about install sizes and downloads, much less so for their home computer spinning gears for a while, so it's a good optimization.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

goferchan posted:

Wow I guess it's been a few years but man that flew by. I got the impression that "Chapter 1" was just sort of a demo and the rest of the game would release all at once from Toby's blog posts when the first part came out, but I guess that isn't the plan anymore. Do we know if this one is also free?
Last year's anniversary update talked about releasing in many "Chapters", whatever that means, and also breaks up the progress into Chapter 1/Chapter 2/Chapter 3+.
Speculation is that this might be a second demo of sorts because a lot of what's been going on besides assembling a team to help make the game has apparently been building tools to make the rest of the game because Toby didn't do any such thing for Chapter 1 - he mentioned on the livestream that one of the big cutscenes towards the end is cobbled together out of a whole bunch of If statements. So Chapter 2 would be the first in the new framework and hopefully any future chapters won't take another 3 years each with this improved pipeline. That said, I haven't seen any indication of a price so I assume Chapter 2 will be free as well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Food Sucks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The cum sandwich looks disgusting but many real-life ones do so I can't fault it for that

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyone playing Eastward? It looks charming as heck but that's quite a price tag.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got a Planescape: Torment 'booster pack' even though I haven't played that game in four years

What the gently caress

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

I got a Planescape: Torment 'booster pack' even though I haven't played that game in four years

What the gently caress

Booster packs just show up randomly when you’ve had all your card drops for the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

You can get booster packs for any game you have ever completed a badge for whenever someone crafts a badge for that game, doesn't matter how long it's been.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

You can get booster packs for any game you have ever completed a badge for whenever someone crafts a badge for that game, doesn't matter how long it's been.

You don’t have to craft the badge, just having all your drops for it is enough.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's when somebody else does.

No, it doesn't make any sense.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ah, always thought it depended on if you had crafted the badge or not. My bad.

The Joe Man posted:

It's when somebody else does.

No, it doesn't make any sense.

The boosters drop when someone else crafts a badge for that game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I've never seen someone so quickly go from right to wrong to right again before.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your Steam power level also increases your odds of a booster. I think it caps at 100. I get lots of discontinued boosters.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, to clarify: You are eligible for boosters when you have exhausted the card drops for a given game, but they only drop when someone else crafts a badge for that game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This seems strange but I shouldn't complain, so thank you anonymous benefactor

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Anyone playing Eastward? It looks charming as heck but that's quite a price tag.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but this review posted in the Switch thread describes it as a fantastic experience all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCeLWCZRp0

What's wrong with the price tag? $22.49 seems like a hell of a deal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Putting on my hater cap for a moment: Psychonauts 2 is fine. I am not somebody that plays games for the story (and frankly the way that journalists have fawned over the “mental health” aspects of the narrative is embarrassing.)

The focus on collectibles is not only archaic but feels underbaked. No real reason to get them, with the exception of the mental vaults, as they do flesh out some of the characters. Sure, you will get some unlocks through them, but I had already fully ranked up my powers far before the end of the game.

And to that end, the unlock system is vestigial. I felt very little impact from any of the upgrades, except for the one that expands your ranged attack magazine. The game would be better without an upgrade tree.

Combat is not very fun or engaging. It’s serviceable.

Platforming is serviceable. You have a fair amount of mobility, and nothing seems to be wrong with the character the way that they’ve designed him. Rather, the level design poorly realizes his capabilities. You spend a lot of time in environments that, while often visually inspired and fresh, feel generic from a gameplay standpoint. These could have been levels in any b-tier N64 platformer. Sometimes it’s unclear what elements are interactable and what elements are visual flair. I had the most fun navigating the hub world, where you have space to utilize your skills and aren’t being corralled down a narrative hallway.

It’s the definition of an okay game. Great voice acting, fun characters. It just leaves something to be desired from actually playing it. I wonder how much of this game was designed years and years ago? I know the game has been in development for a very long time.

I don’t recall the original game strongly enough to compare the two, unfortunately. I do remember really liking the original game, but that was in 2005.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

And yet it still looks like a video-rear end video game turd sandwich, so why bother.
There are no better uses for the tiny rendering power of my poor person GPU?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Have games devs suddenly forgot how to do P2P multiplayer this year or something? Me and my brother are playing Outriders and it's a laggy mess at times, and we both have good internet, and it sounds like Deathloop's pvp mode is jittery AF.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think there's dynamic lighting on the sandwich. it looks baked

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Serephina posted:

It's been talking about as if this is poor behavior? Delta updates are a thing, and if a patch touches 500 small things, code or assets either, every small thing needs to be decompressed, altered, then re-compressed. People care strongly about install sizes and downloads, much less so for their home computer spinning gears for a while, so it's a good optimization.

yes absolutely it is. In my experience games do not need to do this, unless poor filemanagement/whatever is in place. I tend to have ~50-100 steam games installed it is very notable out of the ordinary if a game needs much packing/unpacking after patching. There are also a few examples where this exact patch behaviour had been fixed, so it doesn't need to unpack tons of GB for minor patches.

here are 3 random examples from today:

NMS ordinary patch

Valheim mature content update

Aliens FE... reverting a single thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mordja posted:

Have games devs suddenly forgot how to do P2P multiplayer this year or something? Me and my brother are playing Outriders and it's a laggy mess at times, and we both have good internet, and it sounds like Deathloop's pvp mode is jittery AF.

The thing about P2P multiplayer is that the issue is usually the "peer" part.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

very normal, absolutely not an issue

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ragequit posted:

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but this review posted in the Switch thread describes it as a fantastic experience all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCeLWCZRp0

What's wrong with the price tag? $22.49 seems like a hell of a deal.

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was overpriced, just that it's too much for me to drop on impulse without knowing much about the game. Thanks!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The 7th Guest posted:

early thoughts on Flynn Son of Crimson after an hour and a half

Looks cute, I'll have to check it out. More games need a Rush or Rush equivalent.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 16, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haldolium posted:

yes absolutely it is. In my experience games do not need to do this, unless poor filemanagement/whatever is in place. I tend to have ~50-100 steam games installed it is very notable out of the ordinary if a game needs much packing/unpacking after patching. There are also a few examples where this exact patch behaviour had been fixed, so it doesn't need to unpack tons of GB for minor patches.

here are 3 random examples from today:

NMS ordinary patch

Valheim mature content update

Aliens FE... reverting a single thing

If a game has a 10 GB file containing all of its assets and the patch changes a 300 MB chunk in the middle, all 10 GB of that file has to be rewritten.

The alternative is you have thousands of small files and you have to deal with Windows’ poor file system performance whenever your game opens individual files.

(There’s a third alternative where the games asset system is built to allow new files to override existing files, but that means the game sizes grows continuously as the game gets patched because all the old assets that the game doesn’t use anymore are kept around.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also dunno why u would pick the nms 2.6gb patch to fix a handful of minor bugs as an example of a better patching system

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

municipal shrimp posted:

I tried an hour or two of that new vampire the masquerade battle Royale, bloodhunt. It is utterly lifeless. It's a 3rd person br set in Prague and the gimmick is you're all vampires and instead of health packs scattered around you regain health by feeding on humans that are just standing around at night. Some humans give you perma bonuses like shorter cool down on your abilities. There are three different clans you can choose from but for the most part you'll just be hopping from roof to roof and shooting other vampires. The guns feel absolutely weightless and you have to shoot other players a zillion times before you down them. Also, there are "high value loot areas" that are guarded by super deadly military guards that just obliterate you if you show your face in the vicinity. As if the game wasn't boring enough it also takes forever to get into a match, like 5 minutes or more to get in.

I’m actually having quite a bit of fun with it. The mobility and verticality open up for some strategy and it feels good to swoop over the rooftops.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Tried to install my new GPU and went so far as actually plugging it in to the motherboard, then suddenly realized I only had one 6+2 pin power supply available, not enough for the two 8 pin connectors it needs. Sigh. Gonna have to figure out how to upgrade my PSU, which kinda looks like it is welded into a box inside the case. Probably there's a way to get it out, maybe from the back of the case or something?

Once that happens I think I will go ahead and splurge on Deathloop just to have something to put my new card through its paces

Also really curious to see how different asscreed val looks, that was one of the games that didn't really run even on lowest settings on my old card

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Play posted:

Tried to install my new GPU and went so far as actually plugging it in to the motherboard, then suddenly realized I only had one 6+2 pin power supply available, not enough for the two 8 pin connectors it needs. Sigh. Gonna have to figure out how to upgrade my PSU, which kinda looks like it is welded into a box inside the case. Probably there's a way to get it out, maybe from the back of the case or something?

Once that happens I think I will go ahead and splurge on Deathloop just to have something to put my new card through its paces

Also really curious to see how different asscreed val looks, that was one of the games that didn't really run even on lowest settings on my old card

There are adaptors that can split one 6+2 into two 8-pin connectors. Haven’t actually used one that I recall, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as your PSU is powerful enough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cavauro posted:

i don't think there's dynamic lighting on the sandwich. it looks baked

:nice:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

chglcu posted:

There are adaptors that can split one 6+2 into two 8-pin connectors. Haven’t actually used one that I recall, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as your PSU is powerful enough.

It's a 500W, which actually is kind of borderline especially for all the other stuff I've already added to the computer. It was also a prebuilt so I'm not aware of the quality or lack thereof of the wires themselves, or the PSU. I have heard that using adapters like that can have a small chance of not only burning out the wire but the plug too. Is that untrue?

If that happened to my brand new poo poo that I spent a thousand dollars on I'd have to at least consider ending my own life

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'd take the chance to step up from a 500W and get the proper connectors assuming you can get that thing out. It's probably an old attitude, but I'm not loving with power.

EDIT: Hell, it's probably worth getting a case that LETS you swap it out if you can't.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Play posted:

It's a 500W, which actually is kind of borderline especially for all the other stuff I've already added to the computer. It was also a prebuilt so I'm not aware of the quality or lack thereof of the wires themselves, or the PSU. I have heard that using adapters like that can have a small chance of not only burning out the wire but the plug too. Is that untrue?

If that happened to my brand new poo poo that I spent a thousand dollars on I'd have to at least consider ending my own life

I'm easily on the side of "not anywhere close to an expert" on the Expert Scale but a 500W power supply doesn't seem like it would be enough for a modern GPU.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeha probably a small blessing lol people put way too high watt psus in a lot but 500w for a 3060 and up isnt going to cut it