Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Taking notes by hand? :laffo: What else ya got, schoolboy?”

I joke, but I guarantee this exact phrase has been said in earnest by a disturbingly large amount of people across the army.

I want to say 4 or 6 slides per page was what they wanted…so definitive “yes” on the undersized/barely legible (probably just wanted an excuse for then they inevitably hosed up something).

Oh I know. It was/is a problem in the RCN too. I visited my parent's place a couple of weeks back and went through some of the poo poo I had in storage. I found an old briefcase, and came across a folder of printed slides from some bullshit I attended years and years ago. I don't know if I could read them easily back then; I certainly can't now.

Death by PowerPoint comes from many directions in the CF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

I just got hired to be a supervisor of a 6 man printer team covering mil bases in western Washington and I’m freaking out deep down.

“Don’t worry you’ll learn”.

Ok

Fake it till you make it like everyone else, and if you fail, fail upwards.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

goatsestretchgoals posted:

HP Laserjet 4 is close on mine resistant and full platoon.

Word. That and the 5si would spit out tens of thousands of duplex pages a day all the while someobdy stood next to them hitting them with a hammer. You can still get toner and drivers for the drat things. They aren't energy efficient by a drat sight, but they're lean mean printing motherfuckers.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Wrr posted:

Look my shop and the ATC guys just got "new" (to us) printers and we're on top of the loving world. Impressed the GS-13 by figuring out to repair printers once or twice but I was running out of tricks and their feeder-roller was so worn down you could see the width of the paper we used in the contrast.

I need to use my CAC to do anything know but a semi-functional printer is better than none printer.

Back when I was a company-level admin and our single printer would run out of toner/paper, because idiot LTs would print multiple copies of the same 200 page TM, I would launch raids on our sister companies. I can now replace a toner capsule with an empty one and escape in under 20 seconds.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gorilla Radio posted:

Back when I was a company-level admin and our single printer would run out of toner/paper, because idiot LTs would print multiple copies of the same 200 page TM, I would launch raids on our sister companies. I can now replace a toner capsule with an empty one and escape in under 20 seconds.

and here I was getting told back in 95 that the navy would be paperless soon

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
If none of the printers work and the notepads/pens get confiscated after each meeting, then yes...yes the Navy is going to be paperless.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ASAPI posted:

In this town a former CSM from the post was the hiring manager, the cable installers in that town made about the same as if they were still in (with less benefits).

I swear every "class" they made me go to was designed to line some former CSM's pockets.

When I got out and went to work for Dish, our office manager was a retired CSM.

edit- goddamn, looked him up, and this dude is now actually living his dream. He was a golf nut. I'm genuinely happy to see that not only is he doing something he loved instead of that stressful job for that poo poo-rear end company, but he actually grew his hair out

https://www.augustachronicle.com/article/20150708/SPORTS/307089895?template=ampart

GD_American fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 14, 2021

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

FormFlow on a 486 running Windows 95, networked printer that's always out of paper...

...and then the CSM rejects the award request because he doesn't like how the borders look.

It's been more than two decades and I still want to hit something when I think of that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gorilla Radio posted:

There’s a setting on modern HP printers where you can set the printer to only allow HP toner and better yet once a toner is in the machine you can irreversible lock the toner to that machine or fleet and it won’t work on any other printer.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, better design a printer that doesn't need toner, then.

Oh, and while you're at it, make it mine resistant. And not show up on radar. And add anti-aircraft capabilities. And antisubmarine capabilities. And carry a full platoon.

You know those patrol boats they used in Vietnam? Did you know they were designed and delivered in like seven days from meeting to prototype?

Can you even imagine that level of speed today?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's a boat. How complicated can it be? Round wood thing, put in a motor with a fan attached. Boom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GD_American posted:

When I got out and went to work for Dish, our office manager was a retired CSM.

edit- goddamn, looked him up, and this dude is now actually living his dream. He was a golf nut. I'm genuinely happy to see that not only is he doing something he loved instead of that stressful job for that poo poo-rear end company, but he actually grew his hair out

https://www.augustachronicle.com/article/20150708/SPORTS/307089895?template=ampart

I am bored to death by golf but if your goal is to make money playing a sport, that's the one to pick.
Long career, low risk of injury, lots of opportunity to win tournament purses as a pro or amateur.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

There’s a setting on modern HP printers where you can set the printer to only allow HP toner and better yet once a toner is in the machine you can irreversible lock the toner to that machine or fleet and it won’t work on any other printer.

:barf:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lock your own machine to prevent theft. Don’t tell the other units about that capability.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/cblTm5C.mp4

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Holy poo poo that's hilarious!

You can see the "Wtf is this thing made of?"

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

I've seen this years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmh4PCc6Pj0

(just the first 40 seconds)

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Crab Dad posted:

I just got hired to be a supervisor of a 6 man printer team covering mil bases in western Washington and I’m freaking out deep down.

“Don’t worry you’ll learn”.

Ok

You hiring in a couple of years. Spine surgery number 6 is coming up and Covid has me tired of being in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Melthir posted:

You hiring in a couple of years. Spine surgery number 6 is coming up and Covid has me tired of being in.

If I’m still at the job we can make it happen. Good luck on the surgery.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Hey guys I'm trying to print things at work on 4x6 paper, but the printer keeps asking for 100x148mm

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Hey guys I'm trying to print things at work on 4x6 paper, but the printer keeps asking for 100x148mm

No ticket no help.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

No ticket no help.

Who needs a ticket when you know the code to Comm Flight's side-door and can just walk right in and directly harass them / have sweet talked the nerds into giving you their admin passwords?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Wrr posted:

Who needs a ticket when you know the code to Comm Flight's side-door and can just walk right in and directly harass them / have sweet talked the nerds into giving you their admin passwords?

Hi I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

No ticket no help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJKRb8wZEk

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I had to take a part the bridge’s printer - one of those big Xerox workstations - to clear a paper jam.

For some reason I decided to do it right after it jammed. At night. With a ten degree roll.

While I had the conn.

It’s me, I’m the idiot. In my defence, it was the middle of the Atlantic.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Wrr posted:

just bring donuts and you're fine

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Stupid military procurement goes here, right?

Australia just announced a deal to make nuclear submarines, shutting out the previous contract we had with a French company, who have been paid a total of 2.4 billion and will be paid another 400 million for their trouble now.

I'm pretty sure I could deliver zero (0) submarines much cheaper than 2.8 billion. Do you a deal, 75% off, only 700 million and that's cutting me own throat.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Memento posted:

Do you a deal, 75% off, only 700 million and that's cutting me own throat.

I like this and I like you for that reference.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Can't do it. Heard it was designed by Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Imagined posted:

I found out recently that this is a reference to a real person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Brown

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Imagined posted:

Loved his pipe organ/bathroom combination.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sorry for IG link, but someone has a pic of a B-2 that slid off the runway yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT49m4qlT6D/?utm_medium=copy_link

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I used to work on those way back in the day and was around when we flew one into the ground and reduced it to ashes, that sucked so much.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/J3GG3WT.mp4

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well someone is gonna have a bad day in about half a minute.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My terrist’n shorts really hug my hips.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This will be my gif reply for all-time whenever North Korea fires a missile into the ocean.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

not caring here posted:

Well someone is gonna have a bad day in about half a minute.

Don't they have a timed fuze?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I trust the timed fuse of an RPG-7 much more than I do the competency of some Hizballah nut rider prancing around in flip flops and shorts to aim well above the roofs. There's already photos of some dude's roof that got caved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wrong thread