Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

demostars posted:

ok so i feel like my work story is relevant to share with the thread

just got hired for a new pcr lab testing for covid, and the job description described that the lab would be mandating ppe. show up, and since we're not "officially" operating as of yet, no one was actually wearing any lmao. i do my training, and overhear one of my coworkers has gotten covid not once, not twice, you're loving kidding me if you even thought it was thrice, but FOUR loving TIMES.

we're all dead lol

thank your coworker for putting in the word to make this endemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Homocow posted:

it should be a crime to spread misinformation about a pandemic during a pandemic, particularly online. I don't want to see people in jail, I want to see social and news media held to some level of ethical culpability

literally thousands people are going to die because of facebook posts

This seems like a good idea until you remember things like "You should wear an N95 mask" and "Breakthrough cases exist" were considered misinformation up until like two weeks ago.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

I am way far behind, but aside from being incredibly hosed up for the obvious reason, I loving hate that it implies spreading bronchitis around is perfectly reasonable. No, dumbfuck, I don't want your bronchitis/flu/cold/whatever either! Pretty sure you can fill out your excel spreadsheet columns from home, but if you can't, we'll somehow manage without them.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homocow posted:

it should be a crime to spread misinformation about a pandemic during a pandemic, particularly online. I don't want to see people in jail, I want to see social and news media held to some level of ethical culpability

lock zuckerberg up unironically

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pillowpants posted:

I know this thread moves fast - but is anyone reading the state by state roundups I post?

I was going to comment that they should learn the difference in plural/possessive wrt to apostrophes but yes, I also appreciate them.

POP QUIZ! "Spanish" Flu or Covid?

quote:

Public health management
While systems for alerting public health authorities of infectious spread did exist in [YEAR], they did not generally include influenza, leading to a delayed response.[174] Nevertheless, actions were taken. Maritime quarantines were declared on islands such as Iceland, Australia, and American Samoa, saving many lives.[174] Social distancing measures were introduced, for example closing schools, theatres, and places of worship, limiting public transportation, and banning mass gatherings.[175] [Wearing face masks became common in some places, such as Japan, though there were debates over their efficacy.[175] There was also some resistance to their use, as exemplified by the Anti-Mask League of San Francisco. Vaccines were also developed, but as these were based on bacteria and not the actual virus, they could only help with secondary infections.[175] The actual enforcement of various restrictions varied.[176] To a large extent, the New York City health commissioner ordered businesses to open and close on staggered shifts to avoid overcrowding on the subways.[citation needed]

A later study found that measures such as banning mass gatherings and requiring the wearing of face masks could cut the death rate up to 50 percent, but this was dependent on their being imposed early in the outbreak and not being lifted prematurely

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

daughter's preschool had to drop their mask mandate because a judge said it counted as an illegal quarantine so that rules

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

zegermans posted:

daughter's preschool had to drop their mask mandate because a judge said it counted as an illegal quarantine so that rules

that ruling is hilarious

I mean, it sucks, but also lol what a brain genius

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

smoobles posted:

it takes two RNAs to make a DNA so i need 2X my blood volume in vaccine, please

alright, whip em out

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

RedQueen posted:

Added Pryor: “I kind of felt like a leper or something like that. I’m healthy what’s wrong here?”

GEE I loving WONDER

acems
May 8, 2019

we're like 3 weeks into the semester and my county has skyrocketed to being the worst in Mass. the slight dip at the start of the month is from the labor day reporting delay.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTs-lT1g8iS/?utm_medium=copy_link
this event wasn't included in our monday spike but lol can't wait to see how we're doing next monday. lmao.

e: only one other person i know is at all aware this is happening, and only because i told them. i feel like im going insane.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
More than 20% of the worldwide deaths from covid yesterday (according to WOM) were in the US. Very impressive.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

smoobles posted:

it takes two RNAs to make a DNA so i need 2X my blood volume in vaccine, please

take the vaccine dna with my dna, create a vaccinated clone of me, kill the original me and transplant my memories and personality to the vaccinated clone, i am completely immune from covid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zegermans posted:

That, uh, is a new one.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Homocow posted:

If there were such a law it would be enforced solely against cspammers for besmirching Applebee's.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

the good thing about delta is that sudden spikes are followed immediately by sudden drops, so the faster we spike the sooner we'll see the drop off

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

More than 20% of the worldwide deaths from covid yesterday (according to WOM) were in the US. Very impressive.

it's fine because the number of people dying and getting in fected daily has gone up slower in the last couple weeks than it did before that which means we are past the peak. even though it's obviously just labor day reporting lag, which happened last year shortly before a giant mega ultra giga spike in which hundreds of thousands of people died. all of this equates to "Open Biden" (I love it!)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

it's fine because the number of people dying and getting in fected daily has gone up slower in the last couple weeks than it did before that which means we are past the peak. even though it's obviously just labor day reporting lag, which happened last year shortly before a giant mega ultra giga spike in which hundreds of thousands of people died. all of this equates to "Open Biden" (I love it!)

College ball and sports are back on the menu!

Was cringeworthy to watch those game intros with probably more than 100k people attending event or tailgating parties without masks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lastgirl posted:

lock zuckerberg up unironically

just drop him off sans-security-detail in a Rohingya refugee camp.

see if his "genocide is ok if I profit" ideals hold up then.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

the CDC is for it, the FDA is the one dragging their feet.

I've said it before in the thread but I strongly strongly suspect that the people on the FDA vaccine advisory committee are mostly being pissy about someone (Biden and the CDC) having the nerve to not completely defer to them on all things vaccine related. they are also probably grumpy about Biden cracking the whip a while ago and threatening to fire people if they took off the weekend without reaching a decision on vaccines for 12+ despite having all the data.

they are basically pulling a Work To Rule soft strike while people die because people didn't sufficiently defer to their very smart expertise and that hurt their feelings.

While I hate to think it's something as stupid as this, I've got a feeling you're probably right. From what I've heard the reviewers doing the actual leg work have basically been working around the clock.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

loving hell im glad my daughter isnt old enough to worry about school yet, daycare is already stressful enough even with it being a home daycare with like 5 other kids, vaccinated staff, safer protocols for picking up/dropping off, etc

my brother in texas is still routinely putting up pics of his two going to dance classes and soccer and everyone just standing directly next to each other, not a mask in sight, jfc why play with fire like that, especially given they're otherwise educated non-chuds

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

prosecute Dr. Gero for unleashing Zuckerberg onto the world

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We're only losing one battle of the bulge worth of Americans every month, nbd

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I've said it before in the thread but I strongly strongly suspect that the people on the FDA vaccine advisory committee are mostly being pissy about someone (Biden and the CDC) having the nerve to not completely defer to them on all things vaccine related. they are also probably grumpy about Biden cracking the whip a while ago and threatening to fire people if they took off the weekend without reaching a decision on vaccines for 12+ despite having all the data.

Yeah it looks like a mafia turf war between the FDA and Biden white house.

The fact that it even ended up being a federal turf war is hilarious given all the data from Israeli before they rolled out a 3rd dose booster program.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

*reporting stops as all medical systems are completely overwhelmed*

cases and deaths are down, looks like covid is over

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

covidactnow.org

chester county has fallen

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

zegermans posted:

an illegal quarantine
:dafuq:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shifty Pony posted:

they are basically pulling a Work To Rule soft strike while people die because people didn't sufficiently defer to their very smart expertise and that hurt their feelings.

the FDA, as an institution, is formally built to resist any pressure to move more quickly than a glacial pace. In normal times, this is theoretically to prevent political actors from unduly influencing the medicinal process.

in pandemic times, it reveals an institution that is not built to deal with a changing reality. The FDA fundamentally is barely starting to move past COVID as wild-type, much less being able to respond quickly to the changing reality on the ground.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raiad posted:

:woop:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i bet zuckerburg is big mad that the conspiracy is bill gates 5g nanochips in the vaccine instead of him in it

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

a mask is like a quarantine for your face, checks out

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Forseti posted:

I am way far behind, but aside from being incredibly hosed up for the obvious reason, I loving hate that it implies spreading bronchitis around is perfectly reasonable. No, dumbfuck, I don't want your bronchitis/flu/cold/whatever either! Pretty sure you can fill out your excel spreadsheet columns from home, but if you can't, we'll somehow manage without them.

I spent months in Japan and at the time I thought, they are wearing a mask as soon as they get a cold. How peculiar, but probably a good idea. But then, I come from a country with mandatory sick leave. For now at least.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

basically the way the FDA is acting right now is a "feature" not a bug or symptomatic of a failed institution. It's how it was built.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raiad posted:

yea the # of people in the hospital / ICU trending downwards while multiple states begin rationing care and going to triage conditions with tons of stories of nurses/doctors/etc quitting and poo poo like that is, well, it seems like maybe there is some kind of disconnect happening and perhaps it is not time to...you know what, never mind, what am i talking about. open biden

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i'm still blown away they did an EUA with only 6 weeks of review.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

empty whippet box posted:

yea the # of people in the hospital / ICU trending downwards while multiple states begin rationing care and going to triage conditions with tons of stories of nurses/doctors/etc quitting and poo poo like that is, well, it seems like maybe there is some kind of disconnect happening and perhaps it is not time to...you know what, never mind, what am i talking about. open biden

theoretically, depending on the way the peak is working, you could have plateaued or slightly declining cases and deaths skyrocketing because of the lag between symptomatic:critical condition.

in reality here its because we've just stopped testing anywhere

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
WA state trauma centers are full so avoid bad car accidents and such for a little while if possible

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

WA state trauma centers are full so avoid bad car accidents and such for a little while if possible

there was a major accident here last week and 3 preventable deaths happened because they couldn't find anywhere to put them

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raiad posted:

the good thing about delta is that sudden spikes are followed immediately by sudden drops, so the faster we spike the sooner we'll see the drop off

A funny thing happened during this last 'wave' if you look at the regular graph of daily reported US cases instead of the averaged/smoothed graph:

OOPS ALL CRAZY SPIKES & SUDDEN DROPS ALL THE TIME :v:

Previously we only briefly saw crazy fluctuations like that around Thanksgiving and Christmas and now the lovely reporting/crazy lag are just the standard, happening every single week

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 16, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Schnorkles posted:

theoretically, depending on the way the peak is working, you could have plateaued or slightly declining cases and deaths skyrocketing because of the lag between symptomatic:critical condition.

in reality here its because we've just stopped testing anywhere

there was a good point made that you can look at deaths per day and number added to hospital to get an idea of what's happening. right now more people are dying than the number in the hospital is decreasing each day. so hidden inside there is the fact that more people are coming into the hospital still, but the die off of this first wave of hospitalized people is hiding the increase and making it look like a net negative

once the number leaving hospital is higher than the number dying, then it's on the real down slope of the wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

PerniciousKnid posted:

If there were such a law it would be enforced solely against cspammers for besmirching Applebee's.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1438333448309989378