Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ToxicAcne posted:

What's the rundown for why Canadian public transportation is such a low priority? Suburbanization is probably the biggest factor but the contempt shown towards it seems to be motivated by more factors.

one thing that gets lost in history is that oil companies massively subsidized diesel buses for municipalities back in the 70s so it was seen as an easy and cheap alternative to rail trolleys and trolleybuses. i assume this has hosed with our preceptions of public transit in some ways.

the other thing is despite the majority of canadians living in fairly dense cities and most of those cities being packed along our southern border, everyone loves loving cars(loving for emphasis not like actually loving cars) and as a result no one supports public transit because all the money we would spend on it is diverted to ROADs and POLICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

ToxicAcne posted:

What's the rundown for why Canadian public transportation is such a low priority? Suburbanization is probably the biggest factor but the contempt shown towards it seems to be motivated by more factors.

Car manufacturer's were (and sort of still are) an economic stimulus for the Canadian populace.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Car manufacturer's were (and sort of still are) an economic stimulus for the Canadian populace.

absolutely still are for ontarians. my work comes in contact with the auto industry frequently enough to know that they employ a ton of people and bring in huge revenue. just looked it up and it's ~125k directly employed by automakers and another ~400k by secondary automotive support industries. that's a significant portion of ontarios entire workforce. car makers still wield huge influence because of the manufacturing and support of them done here

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the core reason that Vancouver has the SkyTrain is because we lucked into hosting the 1986 World Exposition on Transportation and Communication and hot diggity what better way to be the host city for a transportation expo than to build a state of the art automated rapid transit system. it happened to be so successful that we kept extending it afterwards. to this day the extended version of the original line is called the Expo Line.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Everything is so goddamn far from everything else and train service between population centres is a joke (busing is also nonexistent at this point), all but necessitating private car ownership

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
a few years ago we finally started having the good sense to have bus bridges between skytrain stations and population centres not serviced directly by the system. cut down commute times significantly because instead of needing to take two meandering bus routes through three different cities to get to the nearest train you get on an express bus at your nearest bus loop and chill out for 20 minutes.

assuming you don't live in like fuckin mission or some poo poo in which case godspeed you! west coast express emperor

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-for-brampton-voters-campaign-pledges-to-boost-immigration-raise-hard/

Decent article by the globe and mail that outlines the FYGM attitude in Brampton amongst South Asian voters. The article is paywalled but you can disable javascript to get by it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
metrolinx/go are very slowly expanding service and implementing improved commuter rail service in the GTHA. the individual municipalities have much better service today than they did 20 years ago, but it tends to be pretty thin on the ground outside of toronto and peel. if you live outside of the GTHA you can get hosed i guess, but within it, it's entirely possible to get around without a car, if less convenient outside of the city cores.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ToxicAcne posted:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-for-brampton-voters-campaign-pledges-to-boost-immigration-raise-hard/

Decent article by the globe and mail that outlines the FYGM attitude in Brampton amongst South Asian voters. The article is paywalled but you can disable javascript to get by it.

growing up in brampton and hearing some of my friends' parents talk about immigrants (they themselves being first generation immigrants) was always kinda wild.

like, the second gen euro immigrants were pretty racist towards the new south asian ones, but holy poo poo were the south asian ones ever bigoted towards each other

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
It's lovely but I think at least some of it can be explained by class. Most of those who came after PET were upper middle class professionals whod gone to English private schools etc back home.

Those who've come more recently (90s onwards) are still middle class but not as rich as those who came before, and so established immigrants view them as provincial hick trash.

At least in South Asia, the rich are just as far removed from the bottom 90% as you and I are, so take their claims of representation with a massive grain of salt.

Edit: Jagmeet's family is the perfect example of the former kind of immigrant, not to downplay his own problems growing up.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

absolutely still are for ontarians. my work comes in contact with the auto industry frequently enough to know that they employ a ton of people and bring in huge revenue. just looked it up and it's ~125k directly employed by automakers and another ~400k by secondary automotive support industries. that's a significant portion of ontarios entire workforce. car makers still wield huge influence because of the manufacturing and support of them done here

also, the rich hate anything that they can't monopolize on principle

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's sort of a miracle (or an incredibly :effort: city council in the 60s and 70s) that toronto still has its streetcar system considering the rest of north america

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Comirnaty sounds like an obscure soviet era intelligence agency.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Dreylad posted:

it's sort of a miracle (or an incredibly :effort: city council in the 60s and 70s) that toronto still has its streetcar system considering the rest of north america

I've heard that the pre-amalgamation version of city council and the metro Toronto government were much more effective. Is this true?

On a tangential note, what were Jack Layton's contributions to city council? I've heard alot about this too but I don't know much beyond advocating for AIDS victims and the LGBT community. I don't mean to restart the debate about my objections about him, just curious about how he made his name in the early days.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Comirnaty sounds like an obscure soviet era intelligence agency.

It's just what they did PR for Katorga-12 under.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ToxicAcne posted:

I've heard that the pre-amalgamation version of city council and the metro Toronto government were much more effective. Is this true?

That is absolutely true.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it was way better when the etobicoke nutjobs stayed in etobicoke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the red parts used to be Toronto and the blue parts used to be other cities that elected their own city councils and mayors, and it seems like both the red and the blue parts were happier that way

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ToxicAcne posted:

On a tangential note, what were Jack Layton's contributions to city council? I've heard alot about this too but I don't know much beyond advocating for AIDS victims and the LGBT community. I don't mean to restart the debate about my objections about him, just curious about how he made his name in the early days.

I'd say so but also there was much more willingness to engage in large public transportation projects in the 60s and 70s in general.

But amalgamation was part of the privatization and downloading costs on to local government that were part and parcel of neoliberalism, so it's hard to point to one single change to municipal government as the reason why toronto increasingly sucks rear end

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow thank u mr president

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1438541175607242766

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I swear he made that same tweet on the last election

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

he did

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't think masai ujiri has endorsed JT yet, that'll be important for toronto

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
It wasn't as similar as I thought: https://mobile.twitter.com/barackobama/status/1184528998669389824?lang=en

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

barfsack obungler should mind his own drat business!!!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Biden would have just called Trudeau "that fella up north"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
castro pop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

the red parts used to be Toronto and the blue parts used to be other cities that elected their own city councils and mayors, and it seems like both the red and the blue parts were happier that way

mike harris however, was not

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Wasn't amalgamation basically a dog thrown to the boonie's who think that Toronto is stealing all their tax dollars?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Wasn't amalgamation basically a dog thrown to the boonie's who think that Toronto is stealing all their tax dollars?

It was just an easy way for Harris and other provincial gov ghouls to line their pockets, given that it was pushed through after bigly failing a referendum and hasn't reduced spending for any of the surrounding areas

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
How'd they line their pockets?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

it was pitched as a cost saving, amalgamating the various governments in the metro area into a single municipality. somehow those savings never materialized. otherwise, it was designed to do exactly what it did, disenfranchise the relatively progressive toronto core by expanding the city council to include the much more conservative boroughs. since then the city has had three conservative mayors and has pushed austerity budgets and service cuts consistently.

the city core, which spent money on infrastructure for ages is now framed as hogging all the infrastructure money while the former suburbs languish. ignoring of course the century where they were their own municipalities and just prioritized low taxes over infrastructure.

this is consistently used as a wedge by otherwise room temperature iq councilors like the brothers ford, denzil minnan wong, and everyone who's ever been elected in any part of etobicoke, to back terrible white elephant projects that will never be built. it comes at the expense of sorely needed infrastructure expansion in the old city, or to shut down proposed improvements in the core.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Sep 17, 2021

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
And of course the liberals did nothing to undo this....

Here in Mississauga good old Hazel continued developing it like a suburb even after the population surpassed many major US cities. I loving hate the suburban voter.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Montreal's amalgamation looks like a success by comparison (it was not a success)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ToxicAcne posted:

Here in Mississauga good old Hazel continued developing it like a suburb even after the population surpassed many major US cities. I loving hate the suburban voter.

She's still alive?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

naturally. and then premier doug ford unilaterally and without consultation halved our city council, in the middle of an election*.

no one will ever fight the battles needed to fix these things, so we will just keep hobbling along

*additional ridings had been added downtown to address the population changes there and it was expected that this would shift the balance on council towards the progressives, so naturally we couldn't have that.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Sep 17, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Seatbelts posted:

The buses here run so fuckin' slow cause this town's city planning is a hot pile of garbage with "brilliant" additions tagged on and they have to navigate around world class lovely 60+ drivers going god knows where in a pandemic.

Also where's our light rail goddammit!?

"city planning" and "Victoria" are two concepts that don't mix well in my mind. Hillside is the result of the city dragging its garbage out to the end of the road and dumping it into a swamp until they could extend the road.

Literally.

Dreylad posted:

Surprising that Vancouver kept its electric buses too during that same period. They did ditch the interurban trolleys - only a few tracks here and there now.

vyelkin posted:

SPIKEVAX is the VACCINE FOR MEN. Let the women get that BULLSHIT COMIRNATY, save Vaxzevria for CHILDREN AND LITTLE CRYING BABIES, real men INJECT SPIKEVAX STRAIGHT INTO THEIR BLOODSTREAMS. Are you man enough to take on SPIKEVAX??? *sick guitar riff*

Is there a shop in Vancouver catering to bears, because I want something in leather and spikes when I go in for my booster.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

angerbeet posted:

She's still alive?!

yes. she's 100 now

ToxicAcne posted:

hazel ran mississauga like her own personal fiefdom for 36 years because it turns out everyone who votes in mississauga just wanted a queen

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Sep 17, 2021

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Pamela Springstein posted:

Montreal's amalgamation looks like a success by comparison (it was not a success)

They partially de-amalgamated though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if we went back to the boroughs and the metro government i think a lot of people would be better represented and we'd still have the larger scale transit and infrastructure planning abilities. i cannot envision a provincial government ever doing that though