Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is what you want:

Alien Anthology (Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / Alien: Resurrection) [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQO3QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6XR86049JJFCT003AEF5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

This is what you want:

Alien Anthology (Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / Alien: Resurrection) [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQO3QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6XR86049JJFCT003AEF5

Appreciate it!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if any blu ray box set didn't feature both cuts of everything. The Alien series has always had a long and proud history of elaborate video releases, even the initial DVDs were pretty generous. I'm guessing Alien attracts an older videophile-type audience.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if any blu ray box set didn't feature both cuts of everything. The Alien series has always had a long and proud history of elaborate video releases, even the initial DVDs were pretty generous. I'm guessing Alien attracts an older videophile-type audience.

Yeah, each of the Alien movie Blu-rays each had 2 versions of each movie, and if you got the 4-movie box set it had a bonus supplemental disc for the whole series.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It was hard to tell, there's a few different packs and Amazon doesn't do a great job detailing exactly what they come with.

In other news I have a bunch of H.R. Giger prints showing up in the next week or so, super stoked.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

The M56 is particularly satisfying when you realize you can unlock and look away and it will still fire at your target.

Even better, if you blind fire while crouched behind cover, it still locks on to targets. Great against synths trying to rush you.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This might be the most disappointing minigun in vidya game history

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This might be the most disappointing minigun in vidya game history

Less ammo to play with. No aim assist. Higher damage per shot in exchange for a much lower rate of fire.

Even on paper it looks straight up inferior to the smart gun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This game is a lot of fun and I'd bet that Aliens fans in this thread would have a lot of fun with it but I'm not a Type A personality and can't organize anything like this and starting a discord with like 5 people in it seems stupid.

Goons. We need to play this game together at some point.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Warbadger posted:

Less ammo to play with. No aim assist. Higher damage per shot in exchange for a much lower rate of fire.

It has the fire-rate and accuracy of an old-timey hand-cranked gatling gun :downsgun:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Theotus posted:

Also, in case this hasn't been posted yet:

:cmon:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Warbadger posted:

Everything is inferior to the smart gun

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
NERF Smart gun when?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'll only be thinking about playing aliens for at least another week or so because Reasons :(

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything is inferior to the smart gun

Some of the scout and sniper rifles are insanely good against synths. Gets a bit tedious click clicking down hordes of aliens bouncing around, though.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

watched the rifftrax for aliens last night and it was pretty good, wish they had done more of the series

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Some of the scout and sniper rifles are insanely good against synths. Gets a bit tedious click clicking down hordes of aliens bouncing around, though.

Yeah, but watching a Praetorian drop in a heartbeat from Gunner Overclocked sniper rifles is hilarious.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll play with you guys as long as we're just shooting aliens for fun. I can feel a lot of sperglord powergamers in the public queue getting annoyed with me even without chat or voice.

I also suck immensely at organization/communication with other human beings but I'll follow the herd anywhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

old beast lunatic posted:

I'll play with you guys as long as we're just shooting aliens for fun. I can feel a lot of sperglord powergamers in the public queue getting annoyed with me even without chat or voice.

I also suck immensely at organization/communication with other human beings but I'll follow the herd anywhere.

:same:

I ended up playing one round last week with a pair that basically just ran as fast as they could through the level. Of course that ended up with me going down because I wasn't in on the plan and would get stuck in a swarm. Thankfully that round was over fast, but I don't understand the enjoyment on not blasting as many xenos as possible :(

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

meat police posted:

watched the rifftrax for aliens last night and it was pretty good, wish they had done more of the series

I've seen the Alien one I need to check this out. Obviously they should just stick to stuff like Resurrection and later.

But hell they did Casablanca so it's not like they're saying it's a poo poo movie. :shrug:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've seen the Alien one I need to check this out. Obviously they should just stick to stuff like Resurrection and later.

But hell they did Casablanca so it's not like they're saying it's a poo poo movie. :shrug:

poo poo I meant the first one, wish they did the second :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This game is a lot of fun and I'd bet that Aliens fans in this thread would have a lot of fun with it but I'm not a Type A personality and can't organize anything like this and starting a discord with like 5 people in it seems stupid.

If you need a discord, mine is still up and running, and I think there's already some aliens goons in there from when we were trying to coordinate getting together to play AVP2010. Disregard the instructions about clicking the alien picture in the post below, the bot that used to run that broke. You can ping me in one of the channels and I'll give you the AVP Goons role so you can find each other.

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I know a while ago I linked my discord, which goons use for playing Mechwarrior Online and I think at least one or two people joined, but if we wanna try and coordinate an AVP night there's an "AVP Goons" role already people can sign up for and we can make somethin happen

https://discord.gg/7ZEE4eW

(It's a pretty quiet server, no drama/no politics, and I know at least a handful of my IRL friends will play with us cause I bought them all the games and made them play a couple months ago)

If you're interested follow the link, accept the rules, and then click the little alien picture to give yourselves the AVP Goons role

e: AVP 2010 is $2.99 or $4.79 with the DLC for the next 40 hours, get it and let's play this dumbass gamehttps://store.steampowered.com/app/10680/Aliens_vs_Predator/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have joined your discord!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So have I! I guess I was in it a while back but didn't remember what it was and left it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I played Fireteam for the first time last night and maybe there's something wrong with me but...I feel there are too many aliens?

I guess it would be pretty boring otherwise. One of the things I love about the movies (and Isolation) is that they slowly build up the tension. Some of the previous games did that too.

In Fireteam they just go way too far in the other direction. Although yeah the smart gun was kinda fun!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have joined the discord. Unfortunately I do not have the game yet due to economic anxiety. I am hoping to remedy that soon.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm still having trouble finding people in matchmaking. Could have been that my roommate was also gaming at the time but every time I've tried I end up paired with bots or on a hanging 'ready' screen.

Please help goons I need some friends :(

PSN ID: zOPERATIONS

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm still having trouble finding people in matchmaking. Could have been that my roommate was also gaming at the time but every time I've tried I end up paired with bots or on a hanging 'ready' screen.

Please help goons I need some friends :(

PSN ID: zOPERATIONS

I read a steam review that said that matchmaking doesn’t match people up if they have any parameters different when searching.

I dunno if that’s true or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Rox posted:

I played Fireteam for the first time last night and maybe there's something wrong with me but...I feel there are too many aliens?

I guess it would be pretty boring otherwise. One of the things I love about the movies (and Isolation) is that they slowly build up the tension. Some of the previous games did that too.

In Fireteam they just go way too far in the other direction. Although yeah the smart gun was kinda fun!
Fireteam kind of goes for a different kind of tension - it takes the scene from 'Aliens' when the Aliens are swarming Ops and makes an entire game based around that one scene, where you've got wall-to-wall Aliens coming from all sides and you're just firing and hoping you don't run out of ammo and hoping your friends have you covered. It gets especially nuts on higher difficulties, when the Aliens can soak up more punishment and getting attacked by some of the bigger ones is a real threat.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Fireteam kind of goes for a different kind of tension - it takes the scene from 'Aliens' when the Aliens are swarming Ops and makes an entire game based around that one scene, where you've got wall-to-wall Aliens coming from all sides and you're just firing and hoping you don't run out of ammo and hoping your friends have you covered. It gets especially nuts on higher difficulties, when the Aliens can soak up more punishment and getting attacked by some of the bigger ones is a real threat.

Yup. I was thinking about the same thing/scene. Turns out all I ever wanted out of a "Colonial Marines" game was to be Hudson as the aliens are falling through the ceiling tiles.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Question: how's the single player gameplay on Fireteam? I'm not a huge gamer and playing online really isn't my thing. I get that I'm missing out on a whole bunch of the experience, but I just keep it chill.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Question: how's the single player gameplay on Fireteam? I'm not a huge gamer and playing online really isn't my thing. I get that I'm missing out on a whole bunch of the experience, but I just keep it chill.

It's meant to be a cooperative online wave shooter, like L4D. Hence my sadposting about having not found anyone to play with; you CAN play with bots but it's a much better experience playing with other people who know what they're doing.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah I guess it seems a bit silly to me when there's acid blood flying everywhere and xenos keep jumping on everyone but no one dies screaming horribly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Rox posted:

Yeah I guess it seems a bit silly to me when there's acid blood flying everywhere and xenos keep jumping on everyone but no one dies screaming horribly.
Oh on the higher difficulties that’s exactly what happens haha - some of the Alien grabs/pounces are instakills, Alien acid is a huge threat, and friendly fire is turned on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

The fun is directly proportional to how many flamethrowers you bring

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Red Rox posted:

The game really isn't my kind of thing (much prefer the Isolation approach) but it would be cool if there was a mow 'em down version where the Alien blood actually did trash the gently caress out of everything.

Which is possibly an odd thing to say after literally dreaming last night that I ripped the head off the bitchass Alien 3 creature then realised it was gushing blood all over me and I was starting to dissolve horribly but eh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yo, this is me on PS4:

(I'm not playing right this minute, because I am at work)

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Sentinel Red posted:

The game really isn't my kind of thing (much prefer the Isolation approach) but it would be cool if there was a mow 'em down version where the Alien blood actually did trash the gently caress out of everything.

I'm the opposite. Isolation gets under my skin and makes me it's bitch. I need to man up and try it again.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I understand that the multiplayer part kinda needs to be balls-to-the-wall non-stop action, but it would have been perfect if there was a single player campaign that gave you a little more room to breathe. I've only played through the first two missions and I think I've already killed 3,000 xenos - it's a bit ridiculous.

Unleashing with the smart gun is also ridiculous - ridiculously awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Rewatched the last two Alien movies and it made me wish they would capitalize on the fact that the Aliens know things due to their human host.

You got Kane's feelings for Lambert influencing the Alien to wanting to do.....something with her, hence why it uses it's tail to ahem, kill her. That and in the cut scene it even shows the Alien on all falls laying back wise while approaching her with it's tail up extending up near it's pelvic area.
Plus it knew what the self destruct meant and where it had to go to get to safety, namely the ship Ripley took. It even knew to hide from her at the start.

Then in Aliens they know to cut the power. Dumb bugs these are not.

One fun fact, Paul Resier took his mother to the screening of Aliens and his character was so hated she clapped when he died.