Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

reptilians most def not invited

probably creepin in the saucer over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Can't find much info on mantis aliens, I would like to read more. Seems cool as hell. I like thri-kreen. Come and meet me mantis aliens, lets be friends.

where's Ra?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jazerus posted:

where's Ra?

I am Ra.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Once you filter out the grift and fraud, yes.

:goonsay:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As far as I can tell, this thread is pretty much the only place on the Internet where I can look at people showing any evidence of UAP and also unconditionally disallows random racist and Nazi bullshit.

I won't argue in bad faith, and I'm really hoping that something can convince me that any of this is real. I just haven't seen it. yet

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

As far as I can tell, this thread is pretty much the only place on the Internet where I can look at people showing any evidence of UAP and also unconditionally disallows random racist and Nazi bullshit.

I won't argue in bad faith, and I'm really hoping that something can convince me that any of this is real. I just haven't seen it. yet

have you watched any of ross coulthart's interviews or his documentary that aired on australian news?

i don't think :tinylue: is a grifter but i can see where it would be easy to just lump him in with the bob lazars of the world or assume he's just CIA doing CIA poo poo for ??? reasons. coulthart made me start paying attention to this poo poo because award-winning investigative journalists don't exactly look into this subject very often and he has come away from this topic believing that there is something there. i feel like the things mellon and lue are saying dovetail with coulthart's investigation which lends them a lot of credibility imo, plus of course they released the only actual authenticated military videos of birds doing weird bird poo poo and all of the people who were present at the nimitz incident basically tell the same story and say that there is even more high-quality sensor data on it locked behind classification. but it's coulthart's investigation that's really at the bottom of the pyramid of credibility holding the rest of the stuff up imo

here's the doc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm6AL5lA4Zc

i know it doesn't mean much but frankly i've been a ufo skeptic for basically my entire life until the last few years, and only really accepted that there is something very big going on with all of this three months ago. i think there are a lot of reasonable scientific people who are following my trajectory on this topic because it's becoming more ridiculous to think it's all reflections off the water of a bird flying in front of the planet venus than to consider the possibility of extraterrestrial drones, which are really statistically very likely to exist, and not that unlikely to exist here, if the answer to the drake equation is "intelligent life is pretty common and tends to survive long enough to send out self-replicating drones into the universe at a decent rate". the people who are sticking to their guns in being hardcore debunkers and "the galaxy is probably empty of intelligent life" scientists are, uh, seeming increasingly detached from actual evidence (from military sensors) and science (which indicates that habitable worlds are common as hell and that our current attempts to search for technosignatures wouldn't catch anything except tight-beam radio signals aimed directly at earth or gigantic megastructures like dyson spheres).

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Sep 16, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Echoing the post above this. There really isn't a (public) smoking gun yet. At this point you have to take it on balance of evidence and circumstantial stuff while filtering all the woo and aforementioned racist/nazi stuff out. That isn't an easy task but I don't know anybody who has seriously done it and not come away believing something is going on. There is just too much credible stuff for it to be a complete delusion.

I *highly* suggest you start with Leslie Keane's book UFOS: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record. Then read The Drive's reporting on the Tic Tac and Go Fast encounters. After that familiarize yourself with Christopher Mellon, think about what possible motivations he could have for lying (hint, there are none) and read/watch some of his stuff. That's basically the path I took and several skeptic friends became believers after taking the same one.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wheeee posted:

much as i loved blindsight--in spite of the 'vampire' poo poo--i remain unconvinced by watts' thesis that consciousness is an evolutionary dead end or a distinct disadvantage

He's wrong you need to get deep core molten Ligotti style to truly understand the malignant uselessness of cognition.

Plus the vampire and non self aware life forms thing was stupid. It seems like all earth animals with neurological tissue share the basic components required to understand they're alive. Insect ganglions are just as good as mammalian cortical columns. Seems like Descartes was dead rear end wrong and all animals have some level of cognition and awareness, and dogs know they're alive, and bugs have dreams. Some countries have bumped eg crabs up a rung for the ethical justifications required to get your experiments on them approved. Basically the research shows that if you throw living crabs or lobsters into boiling water you're torturing an animal to death, same thing as a rabbit or mouse. Enormous bug life forms like lobsters just can't easily communicate to humans like even a mouse could. We can't recognize their internal state as intuitively as we can with a mouse.

Even plants have some level of nociception and seems like there's some kind of threshold where this sense cranks up a notch and is internally represented as "pain." The other receptor data eventually clicks over and becomes actual emotions or some kind of basic thoughts, which is why octopuses can play like puppies can, but clams or sponges cannot. Certain kinds of snail have been proven to have such basal neurology they only experience nociception, hungry, and horny.

The threshold between stimulus-response and "holy gently caress dude that hurt" depends on network speed and bandwidth more than it depends on actual substrate. Hypothetically a plant/fungus network would be able to know it's getting chomped if the signaling was good enough. Even disregarding "exotic" systems like that, all animals with significant neural tissue already have the required substrate to have something like consciousness.

I was gonna write a lot more about this stuff but i am increasingly drunk and trying to get through the thread to the part where the ETs come out and it's like drat,

Wanna talk to aliens i bet they're a lot like us but in a weird different way. I wonder if they got space acid as well as cosmic weed.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/GaryVoorhis/status/1436397014040842280

One of the US navy ufo sighting guys is looking for one of the Corliss books that i'm pretty sure you guys bought the last copies of.

Everyone wanting to get on the luminous phenomena train.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

munce posted:

One of the US navy ufo sighting guys is looking for one of the Corliss books that i'm pretty sure you guys bought the last copies of.

successful goon project: ruining this guys day

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

munce posted:

loving owned

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the troops come last in my book

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
this thread has now done more to mess w the us armed forces than the rest of cspam combined

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Looks like you cant find even a digital version of the book online anywhere, I'm sure people would love to see it though.

Pontificating Ass has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Sep 16, 2021

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

Looks like you cant find even a digital version of the book online anywhere, I'm sure people would love to see it though.

No doubt. They should do an ebook and make bank.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

this thread has now done more to mess w the us armed forces than the rest of cspam combined

lmao

:tinylue:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rickshaw posted:

How would we ever figure it out?

we wouldn't :unsmigghh:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hackers released stolen footage from pentagon archives, here's a video they had of actual alien contact. Hurry before the deep state scrubs it from the internet!!

https://youtu.be/13TYbM0N80Y

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:tinylue: needs to poo poo or get off the pot at this point. Crying "my NDA, my NDA" while at the same time saying "these people know something and they're lying to you about world changing truths" just aren't mutually compatible positions.

Also his whole "we did this together" faux-humbleness combined with his anonymous twitter account slap-fighting when anyone questions whether he might be part of the problem by slow-walking or obscuring information shows he's not exactly a cool guy unless you are 100% on his side. At the end of the day, I just don't see how what he's doing is tangibly different from any other grifter or ex-military official hinting at things they can't tell you but trust me I was in a pretty high position so I saw some poo poo.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Lmao :tinylue: had a secret Twitter? How'd i miss that?

Edit: Thanks!

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Sep 16, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fanfic insert posted:

Lmao :tinylue: had a secret Twitter? How'd i miss that?

Could you link it?

PM'd it to ya just in case. I know this thread has some reddit/outside eyes on it and I don't want him getting deluged by disgruntled aitee folk

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Gotcha, thanks and i wish good visitations upon you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Buy him an account.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Just watched Ross Colthart's special about birds on 7 news

It was all good until he started going on about the Aztec UFO incident, which - from cursory googling - is a blatant hoax perpetuated by a couple of known con men.

I don't really see how he can be an acclaimed investigative journalist and someone to genuinely take seriously in that light

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Asproigerosis posted:

Hackers released stolen footage from pentagon archives, here's a video they had of actual alien contact. Hurry before the deep state scrubs it from the internet!!

https://youtu.be/13TYbM0N80Y

:gowron:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

going to see if our library has the Luminous Bodies book

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

It was all good until he started going on about the Aztec UFO incident, which - from cursory googling - is a blatant hoax perpetuated by a couple of known con men.

I don't really see how he can be an acclaimed investigative journalist and someone to genuinely take seriously in that light

every serious ufo person has to have at least one blind spot for an obvious fraud, its just how it works. like Stanton Friedman and mj 12, or Chris Mellon defending lue elizondo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

munce posted:

speaking of coincidences!

also

Google Butt posted:

loving owned

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’m looking for a book or copy to scan. it can’t be pinku which is Japanese for pink

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Barry Foster posted:

I felt the same way when I learned Leslie Kean wrote a whole book about spiritualism / seance revival. She went to a few seances (ectoplasm hand manifested inside the spirit cabinet!!!) and came away convinced that ghosts can be summoned back to the material plane, but only when it's structured like a magic trick and the lights are turned way down and everything

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

He's wrong you need to get deep core molten Ligotti style to truly understand the malignant uselessness of cognition.

Plus the vampire and non self aware life forms thing was stupid. It seems like all earth animals with neurological tissue share the basic components required to understand they're alive. Insect ganglions are just as good as mammalian cortical columns. Seems like Descartes was dead rear end wrong and all animals have some level of cognition and awareness, and dogs know they're alive, and bugs have dreams. Some countries have bumped eg crabs up a rung for the ethical justifications required to get your experiments on them approved. Basically the research shows that if you throw living crabs or lobsters into boiling water you're torturing an animal to death, same thing as a rabbit or mouse. Enormous bug life forms like lobsters just can't easily communicate to humans like even a mouse could. We can't recognize their internal state as intuitively as we can with a mouse.

Even plants have some level of nociception and seems like there's some kind of threshold where this sense cranks up a notch and is internally represented as "pain." The other receptor data eventually clicks over and becomes actual emotions or some kind of basic thoughts, which is why octopuses can play like puppies can, but clams or sponges cannot. Certain kinds of snail have been proven to have such basal neurology they only experience nociception, hungry, and horny.

The threshold between stimulus-response and "holy gently caress dude that hurt" depends on network speed and bandwidth more than it depends on actual substrate. Hypothetically a plant/fungus network would be able to know it's getting chomped if the signaling was good enough. Even disregarding "exotic" systems like that, all animals with significant neural tissue already have the required substrate to have something like consciousness.

I was gonna write a lot more about this stuff but i am increasingly drunk and trying to get through the thread to the part where the ETs come out and it's like drat,

Wanna talk to aliens i bet they're a lot like us but in a weird different way. I wonder if they got space acid as well as cosmic weed.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

All kinds of poo poo looks like a hoax from cursory googling though, especially when you consider that it's mostly NDT types who edit wikipedia.

As for Aztec, it was revealed to be a hoax in 1953, but decades later some UFO researchers wrote a book (not mentioned in the wikipedia article) about how maybe it wasn't actually a hoax, and the government made the dudes say it was a hoax to get everyone to shut up about it (for the record, according to the Australian military UFO report, this lines up with what the US government started to do in 1953).

Maybe Ross Coulthart read that book and agrees that Aztec wasn't a hoax, but rather an example of the us military "debunking" an actual UFO incident? Like how the air force did so many times with Project Blue Book? Focusing on incidents where the military seems to have been covering poo poo up seems to be Coulthart's thing when it comes to UFOs, and maybe this incident seems legit to him. Or maybe he's paranoid now and seeing birds everywhere lol

UFO poo poo is weird enough that i can't fault someone for believing in an incident that might be a hoax (especially when they already have a non-crazy person track record, like Coulthart)...hell, literally all UFO poo poo could be fake, even the incidents like nimitz or gimbal or whatever. We could all be extremely wrong about everything, that's the risk you run trying to figure out unknown mysteries of birds and orbs

At least coulthart isn't saying he's telepathically communicating with aliens and meeting them in their mojave desert bunker. so far he seems ok to me lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's such an extraordinary story that I'd need to see some incredible evidence to believe it. Not least because the first time it was mentioned - ever - was by a journalist who explicitly said he was told the story by two people who turned out to be genuine, honest to god, actually convicted con men.

Like, maybe I should read the book by the couple who re-popularised it, and maybe Coulthart has more evidence but isn't talking. But if you're trying to present the case to the gen pop that there might be something to this whole thing - like Coulthart was in that 60 minute special - then it seems to me to be an incredibly odd choice to include such a dubious story, even by the standards of birdology.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Certain kinds of snail have been proven to have such basal neurology they only experience nociception, hungry, and horny.

do not doxx

Barry Foster posted:

It's such an extraordinary story that I'd need to see some incredible evidence to believe it. Not least because the first time it was mentioned - ever - was by a journalist who explicitly said he was told the story by two people who turned out to be genuine, honest to god, actually convicted con men.

Like, maybe I should read the book by the couple who re-popularised it, and maybe Coulthart has more evidence but isn't talking. But if you're trying to present the case to the gen pop that there might be something to this whole thing - like Coulthart was in that 60 minute special - then it seems to me to be an incredibly odd choice to include such a dubious story, even by the standards of birdology.

i don't disagree that another story might have been better for the doc because aztec is shaky. i just don't see how it affects the quality of the rest of the incidents he investigated, especially the stuff linked to the nuclear communications base in australia and the nuclear missiles being flipped on and off, as well as the australian school story. that's the stuff that makes you stand up and go "okay, what????". the saucer-looking crash mark on the rocks was another thing that was really and truly wild but you could hypothetically fabricate that with time, effort, and tools, so...

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
free Gina

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Google Butt posted:

loving owned

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

only at participating locations for a limited time only

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/hackermaderas/status/1435857713133670402

neat thread

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
lue. are you reading this. i will buy you an account and i can offer you access into an elite posting protection program. radium gave me the sftp login for the servers in 2007 and i'm pretty confident nothing has been changed since. lue. we are your people lue.