Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Bone Crimes posted:

Just reading about this here:https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/harvey-reservoirs lol the title is "Everyone Knew Houston’s Reservoirs Would Flood — Except for the People Who Bought Homes Inside Them"

Goddamm Texas. lol. What a hosed up situation.

The owners were able to successfully sue the government, citing a past supreme court case that ruled flood waters going onto private property from government flood control structures is an unconstitutional taking of their property, even if the owners knew the risks.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/12/17/hurricane-harvey-flood-victims-barker-addicks-reservoirs-win-lawsuit/

Feels like this is setting up a lovely situation as intense storms are getting more common, if these lawsuits will apply to stormdrains and sewers that back up and smaller agencies without money printers will be held liable for damage they can't budget for or get money to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’m sympathetic to some of the residents who were on the back end of the lakes.

I just don’t understand how you can drive over a dam to get to your house, see multiple watercourses on the same side as your house, and not get suspicious.

As a reservoir with houses inside of it, it’s kind of unusual[citation neeeded], but that arrangement still looks an awful lot like being on the wrong side of a levee.

Some people are just idiots, but I don’t believe that everyone here believed that their home “was not in a floodplain” and “could not flood”. Many knew it could happen, they just didn’t believe it would happen to them, or they believed that if it did happen, they were the right sort of people to get bailed out by their friends in government.

lol Sinko Ranch, Camp Sinko. Also love how one of the developments is in it's third phase.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The way I see it, the farmers in the forties had a case against the Army Corps of Engineers, but at some point is just becomes existing topography.

The Great Plains states should sue the Rocky Mountains states for putting them in rain shadow. :argh:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

So by this metric post10 is the ideal human?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVKBdAMJO4

he should be careful that beaver might grab 'em by the kiwis and then he won't piss for a week (and a half)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Amy goons buying a house, do yourself a favor and check if your house is in a 500 year floodplain.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Amy goons buying a house, do yourself a favor and check if your house is in a 500 year floodplain.

I don't plan on owning the house for 500 years

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the wettest we've seen

from the standpoint of water

I wonder if that fellow might be in the market for a bridge, if so I'd love to make a sale

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

Well I checked, and it is, but seeing as the area had three “five hundred year floods” in the last two years, the house is safe for the next fifteen centuries.

That’s just science.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

SirPablo posted:

my house is directly next to a flood plain (that the realtor lied about) and we cant get flood insurance because right next to the floodplain doesnt count as a flood zone lol.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i probably will never own a house so i don't have to think about the threat of flooding :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

i probably will never own a house so i don't have to think about the threat of flooding :v:

was it this thread or somewhere else that had the chud landlord remove all the "this is a flood area" signs from around the apartment building

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
500 year flood is stupid for 0.2% annual chance at a single location.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SirPablo posted:

500 year flood is stupid for 0.2% annual chance at a single location.

Platystemon posted:

That’s just science.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

If you can figure out how to check it. loving flood maps.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My house is in a city protected by a floodway surrounded by communities with a history of being hosed by floods. I'm gonna make bank when I rent out my garage to 2 refugee families from one of the towns just up the river for 3K a side.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Or maybe not because of our current record setting drought. Lmao let's go dust bowl 2.0!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

blows my mind when I think about trying to model every water droplet/particle in a section of the atmosphere or the changing winds at different altitudes loving fluid dynamics is wild

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

you ever just, watch water boil?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Shifty Nipples posted:

you ever just, watch water boil?

yeah

I used to enjoy making solutions when I worked in a chemistry lab becuase you put some powder in glassware with a stir bar and you watch it disappear or slowly disappear

I used to love doing titrations because you got to watch the color indicator appear then disappear (or disappear and reappear) slower and slower and until one drop of the titrant would change the whole solution in an instant

e: then I had to revalidate the plant's lyophilzation cycles for all 10 of their chambers so I basically did Karl Fischer titrations for 8 hours a day everyday for about a month and I never wanted to do another again

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 03:22 on Sep 14, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How high are you

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Shifty Nipples posted:

blows my mind when I think about trying to model every water droplet/particle in a section of the atmosphere or the changing winds at different altitudes loving fluid dynamics is wild

this is not how weather models work

weather models are imaginary 3d grids overlayed onto the atmosphere. The grid size varies, but let's say a typical one is 20km. That means it's a huge 3d array of 20km cubes representing the whole atmosphere

each cube gets a number for pressure, temperature, wind direction, etc. That's all it is. There is no attempt to model every particle, and there never will be without science fiction computers.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Nicholas officially at hurricane status! :toot:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cygna posted:

Huh. That wasn’t supposed to happen

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Huh. That wasn’t supposed to happen

It's been moving verrrrry slowly, so had just enough time to suck up those warm gulf waters and cross the threshold. Not great news for Houston et al, but at least it's nowhere near a Harvey level event (unless someone nukes it before tomorrow morning).

Latest forecast track has it hitting Lake Charles, because of course it is.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Reed Timmer has had Facebook and YouTube feeds going all day with Nicholas. just nuts watching him drive on a barrier island through a foot of surge crossing the road. feed still going strong tonite as Nicholas becomes a hurricane

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

honky dong posted:

Reed Timmer has had Facebook and YouTube feeds going all day with Nicholas. just nuts watching him drive on a barrier island through a foot of surge crossing the road. feed still going strong tonite as Nicholas becomes a hurricane

Yep, current Reed stream. Looks windy. Freeport Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3tvqC5wuaE

E: Another stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npC88BmiHx4

E2: Well gotta hand it to Nick; guy was just all like "hey bruh, I'm gonna be a hurricane. Like totally."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AUhWfBCTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThHUDiCUytk

Mental Hospitality has issued a correction as of 09:02 on Sep 14, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shifty Nipples posted:

he should be careful that beaver might grab 'em by the kiwis and then he won't piss for a week (and a half)

Porcupines are the real problem.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Porcupines are the real problem.

Yeah, the problem is they're adorable! :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2-_uVy3r1Q

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Cygna posted:

ugh this poo poo is weak

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

How high are you

500 mbar :2bong:

Pryor on Fire posted:

this is not how weather models work

weather models are imaginary 3d grids overlayed onto the atmosphere. The grid size varies, but let's say a typical one is 20km. That means it's a huge 3d array of 20km cubes representing the whole atmosphere

each cube gets a number for pressure, temperature, wind direction, etc. That's all it is. There is no attempt to model every particle, and there never will be without science fiction computers.

You'll note that I did not state or imply that had anything to do with reality or what is done in reality. :eng101:

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

You'll note that I did not state or imply that had anything to do with reality or what is done in reality. :eng101:
nipples has you there, pryor

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LPinderTV/status/1438599360917475332
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1438619035785125890

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
who was worried about there not being enough water? there is plenty of water

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Delta-Wye posted:

who was worried about there not being enough water? there is plenty of water

Biblical floods for some, catastrophic fires for everyone else.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Zil posted:

Biblical floods for some, catastrophic fires for everyone else.

You didnt say where you guys wanted rain

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

we regret to inform you that this is now normal

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

why is richmond flooding now?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Too much rain is the normal cause, but someone could have left their sprinklers running. :v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Frances Nurples posted:

Somewhere needs to be flooding, Richmond is as good a place as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Frances Nurples posted:

it's climate change op