Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see what there is in big and biggish truck land. Hopefully with a cap or locking tonneau so that roaming beavers and vagrants don't rob me of my precious antique cans while I'm staying at the Four Seasons Lower Saskabush.

Yeah, fuel ecomomy is the biggest part of it. If I'm getting the same fuel economy as a cube van, the numbers start making less sense. Plus given the price of gas in BC, keeping it for a while or finding someone who doesn't care is less of an attractive proposition (although I guess I could try selling it to Albertans). Also keep in mind, I drive a Prius right now. I can deal with doubling my fuel consumption for daily use, maybe triple, but quadruple is enough to make me balk.

Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban all tow just as well as the pickups and are already enclosed for you. Or just buy an Express/Savana van, and sell it as soon as you're done with the move.

The only vehicles that aren't going to get absolutely poo poo gas mileage on a cross country trip with a big box trailer behind them are diesel trucks. You're probably not going to find one you want to live with in your price range.

With snow tires. If you can't get there in a Prius with snow tires, AWD probably isn't going to change any of that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What the gently caress

Did it have no coolant at all and your kid drove it in the red for hours or something? How does a 2018 car with that bad of an issue survive even the most basic quality check?

sometimes people don't do their jobs right

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What the gently caress

Did it have no coolant at all and your kid drove it in the red for hours or something? How does a 2018 car with that bad of an issue survive even the most basic quality check?

Irony is that we bought the car at CarMax <1 week ago, son said it felt really weird and shaky when accelerating on highway. We wanted to do due diligence and took it to a Subaru service center at a big dealership for an extra non-CarMax inspection just to be safe. Son said the Subaru “inspection” was done in about ten minutes and it passed with flying colors. He left, then smoke was pouring out of the hood about 2 miles down the road.

No dash lights came on re: coolant levels and we were told both CarMax and Subaru had checked fluid levels as part of their basic safety inspections. CarMax said they couldn’t have it serviced for two weeks (wtf) so we just said gently caress it and returned it. Also got money back from worthless Subaru inspection. Just feels like stupid bad luck at this point.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

Irony is that we bought the car at CarMax <1 week ago, son said it felt really weird and shaky when accelerating on highway. We wanted to do due diligence and took it to a Subaru service center at a big dealership for an extra non-CarMax inspection just to be safe. Son said the Subaru “inspection” was done in about ten minutes and it passed with flying colors. He left, then smoke was pouring out of the hood about 2 miles down the road.

No dash lights came on re: coolant levels and we were told both CarMax and Subaru had checked fluid levels as part of their basic safety inspections. CarMax said they couldn’t have it serviced for two weeks (wtf) so we just said gently caress it and returned it. Also got money back from worthless Subaru inspection. Just feels like stupid bad luck at this point.

Lol jfc, burn it all to the ground.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

amethystbliss posted:

In the market for a car for my son. He's almost 20 and drives a lot every day. He commutes to work, school, his trade school apprenticeship sites, and sometimes picks up his sibling from school activities a few towns over. His old car kicked the bucket a few weeks ago, and the search for a decent used car has been hell. Just last night we returned a used 2018 Subaru Impreza Hatchback we got from Carmax because it erupted in smoke and left him stranded on the side of the road. Their service center was a joke so we just got our money back using their 30 day return policy. Back to square one.

Proposed Budget: $25k max, looking for most economical option that's reasonable given circumstances
New or Used: Either. Used makes more sense given his age, but seems we can get brand new for a minimal price difference without worrying about its history?
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback. He prefers hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute of about 30-40 miles/day
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Nope, base model is fine though CarPlay is a nice bonus
What aspects are most important to you?: Safe. Reliable. Winter performance. Leaning AWD but open to a car that's good in the winter with some snow tires.
Other factors: He's almost 6'4 with long legs. We live in New England so must be reliable in the snow. Looking for something he can own for many years to come.

Leaning new Subaru Impreza hatchback base model since it's AWD and he really liked it for the 5 days we owned it. He hated test driving the Nissan Rogue. He surprised us by loving the Chevy Sonic but doesn't seem like a great option for winter. Also considering a Honda Civic with snow tires. Open to any other suggestions.

why is the chevy sonic bad at winter

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Lol. Already had one authentic subaru experience, wants another.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

In the market for a car for my son. He's almost 20 and drives a lot every day. He commutes to work, school, his trade school apprenticeship sites, and sometimes picks up his sibling from school activities a few towns over. His old car kicked the bucket a few weeks ago, and the search for a decent used car has been hell. Just last night we returned a used 2018 Subaru Impreza Hatchback we got from Carmax because it erupted in smoke and left him stranded on the side of the road. Their service center was a joke so we just got our money back using their 30 day return policy. Back to square one.

Proposed Budget: $25k max, looking for most economical option that's reasonable given circumstances
New or Used: Either. Used makes more sense given his age, but seems we can get brand new for a minimal price difference without worrying about its history?
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback. He prefers hatchback.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute of about 30-40 miles/day
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Nope, base model is fine though CarPlay is a nice bonus
What aspects are most important to you?: Safe. Reliable. Winter performance. Leaning AWD but open to a car that's good in the winter with some snow tires.
Other factors: He's almost 6'4 with long legs. We live in New England so must be reliable in the snow. Looking for something he can own for many years to come.

Leaning new Subaru Impreza hatchback base model since it's AWD and he really liked it for the 5 days we owned it. He hated test driving the Nissan Rogue. He surprised us by loving the Chevy Sonic but doesn't seem like a great option for winter. Also considering a Honda Civic with snow tires. Open to any other suggestions.

I'm going to suggest rav4 or crv. also check out the mazda cx line. Choose whatever size CX fits. These are all what I consider practical northeast awd cars (awd debate aside, I'm on the side of snow tires + awd is peace of mind) If he's really into style then definitely have a look at the mazdas imo. Prius is always thread favorite and not a bad suggestion either. I just like the space the compact suvs have and they're immensely popular around here for a reason.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 14, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stealership just spent a few hours discussing whether to accept my offer of $1500 over msrp but they decided to sit firm at their one and only offer of $3000 over msrp. Gross. I need a shower

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Finger Prince posted:

Hello everyone. I find myself in a situation where I'm moving across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver in October,

There are several large hills between here and there.
Understatement of the year.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Understatement of the year.

Having driven across Highwood pass on midsummer day a couple of years ago through two tire tracks cut through two feet of snow, I find myself hesitant taking a sketchy Uhaul (or freshly purchased new-to-me) truck towing a sketchy Uhaul trailer carrying my car across the Rockies, in October. Especially knowing how sketchy Rogers pass can get. I did follow up on those moving cubes Uhaul do, as suggested ITT, and turns out you can load them at the depot, so a local rental and filling one or two of those is by far the cheapest and most sensible option. So thanks again everyone! Might sell the Prius before I go too, and just use car share programs out there as needed until we get settled.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've used pods and uship boxes to do all my moves in the last decade or two except the latest where I paid professionals with a trucks.
The pods make a ton of sense. Once you run gas (way more than just a car), truck and/or trailer rental, the general unpleasantness, etc, a pod makes so much loving sense.
It was essentially break even between renting and podding from MN to CA and gas was a lot cheaper then.

Plus then you can actually enjoy the trip and maybe stop at a national park or too, go to restaurants without parking for huge trucks, etc

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nm posted:

I've used pods and uship boxes to do all my moves in the last decade or two except the latest where I paid professionals with a trucks.
The pods make a ton of sense. Once you run gas (way more than just a car), truck and/or trailer rental, the general unpleasantness, etc, a pod makes so much loving sense.
It was essentially break even between renting and podding from MN to CA and gas was a lot cheaper then.

Plus then you can actually enjoy the trip and maybe stop at a national park or too, go to restaurants without parking for huge trucks, etc

Yup. I agree with this 100%. That's why I was trying to talk about pods. Yes, this thread is about cars, but it's also BFC and I can't even imagine doing things the way the OP is talking about doing them. Just seems like much easier, better ways to me.

We moved from Florida to Colorado with 2 weeks notice. We owned the house in Florida for like 7 years, so it's not like we had nothing. I've never even stepped foot in a lot of the states from here to there, because we used pods and flew. And on both sides we couldn't put a pod out front, both times we used a Uhaul to go to their facility. It was STILL worth it.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 16, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Glad to see the sensible option prevail

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

good news the dealer i bought the first tacoma from just reserved me a tacoma thats coming in 1-3 weeks. I had to make a compromise and get the 4 door 6 foot bed, so it's going to be a limo. but trade value is higher if it sucks, and i got MSRP.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's so loving hilarious........:newlol:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

it's so loving hilarious........:newlol:

jesus that's 10k more than the highest i've seen

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

good news the dealer i bought the first tacoma from just reserved me a tacoma thats coming in 1-3 weeks. I had to make a compromise and get the 4 door 6 foot bed, so it's going to be a limo. but trade value is higher if it sucks, and i got MSRP.

Embrace the long truck life. Parking it in a tight spot sorta sucks but seeing as there's been just as many times where I've wished my crew cab Canyon's 6' bed was longer, longbed was the right answer.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting ads for services that say they will lower my insurance payments from like 100 bucks to 20-30 while keeping the same limits, etc.

I'm curious as to what the scam is here.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Edit: if this seems a little rushed it is, but I'm not making any moves for a week unless some awfully good deal comes along, and even then only after I get some word from the thread and discuss with my parents, along with gathering my funds. I've no desire to get a loan.

Live near Louisville on Indiana side, heard Honda fits are being discontinued in the US and that the next smallest car that can be recommended is 5000 more, and since I reckon the taper will mean that stocks aren't gonna be a sure thing for a while I'm taking my Vanguard money out (~17,000 from 15,000 initial if it doesn't tank while I'm putting it in settlement to then sell, though I'm gonna have to pay income taxes aside later), and combining that with my credit union money (6,000 if I shutter my secured credit card, never like borrowing anyway), and the value of my parents ford 150 08 model (presumed at least 2,000 if not more). Should total 25,000 if all goes well.

Proposed Budget: 25,000. Whatever is cheapest long term.
New or Used: New, or basically new.
Body Style: Subcompact, 2 door if advantageous (and my preference), but 4 is fine if it is the superior car.
How will you be using the car?: 26 miles a day for average of six day a week job (five days but overtime can happen, . May use for visiting family at similar distances once a month. Probably will just fly or rent if I'm actually going on vacation
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Not really. Mainly want rear camera, ac, and automatic transmission. Everything else is negotiable.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): I would like a car I can use for 15 plus years. Hoping to buy with cash, and would like something gas efficient for my relatively short commute (or at least it seems many people have longer ones). Will probably share occasionally with my parents, whom I live with.

Interested in Honda fit for it's low price, efficiency, and presumed relative reliability, but any other small car with under 20,000 MSRP would be considered. This probably needs more thought and info, which is why I'm posting so I can gather that. Let me know what else I need to think about or ask.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why are you trying to buy a car right now? This is historically the very worst time to do so.

It doesn't matter how much fuel it uses, the F150 is going to be far cheaper in every way for now and the foreseeable future, because right now everyone is paying MSRP plus a dealer markup due to massive inventory constraints which have just gotten worse after another 300,000+ cars got destroyed in the wake of hurricane Ida.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
See, this is why I check with the forums before jumping in. I'm glad I asked. When should I check in again? Obviously next year, but spring, summer, Winter? Later?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

thechosenone posted:

See, this is why I check with the forums before jumping in. I'm glad I asked. When should I check in again? Obviously next year, but spring, summer, Winter? Later?

TBD. Just keep an eye on jalopnik.com or similar sites. Or in here if that's easier.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Motronic posted:

Why are you trying to buy a car right now? This is historically the very worst time to do so.
It's not a terrible time to buy a new car, if you can get an inflated trade in price and pay MSRP or below for the thing you're buying.

The Fit was discontinued after the 2020 model year. There are no new Fits, so you'd be paying inflated 2021-market prices for any Fit you'd buy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aside from poor timing, your needs are firmly in the category of "justify why you don't want a Prius".

Not-quite-comedy option, consider an EV if you can install a level 2 charger at home. I was going to say "lease a Leaf" because they were offering an $89/mo lease option on those but it appears that offer went away in the last few weeks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you don’t need it the f150 is probably worth like 12k now lol

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
An electric or hybrid does sound nice, especially since an electric wouldn't need an oil change hypothetically (wheels and other stuff ofc, but one less thing to go wrong), but I'm glad the advice is to sit tight. Proby still switching to something less risky. Thank you once again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
What is your intent for this money? If you indeed intended it to grow over time why are you pulling out money intended for investment to purchase a depreciating asset?

Timing the market is generally a bad idea. If during the initial market shock of the pandemic you 'decided' the market was going to 'taper' and pulled your funds out in mid 2020, you may have missed out on one of the most profitable years of the US indexes in your lifetime.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm just curious why you think the F150 is worth 2000... is something wrong with it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you may be debt averse but it's almost certainly going to be a better idea to get a loan than to pay even LTCG on whatever money you're pulling out of whatever vanguard account

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Not necessarily on the f150, my dad was presumably just saying he wouldn't accept anything less for trade in value is why it was such a low number.

On the investment money, I figured since some guys at the fed started selling their stock, and the federal reserve itself intends to 'taper' their purchases, I don't see how private buyers can keep up if it took an infinite money printer to bring it up to the prices it's at now. Considering the people actually taking money from their retirement is t exactly gonna go down to match, I'd figure there would be downward pressure from that.

As for what I wanted to do with it, I wanted to get my dad to stop dogging me about letting it sit in my credit union or a high yield savings account that constantly bugged me about lowering their rates. I like having lotta liquid assets, and I don't want them to lose a bunch, even if it means not making so much money.

Think I'll out them into a bond fund or something. If I'm right that will probably yield more, if I'm wrong it doesn't really lose much

Edit: mind you they could just chicken out if these loses continue, but I doubt they would even joke about tapering in the first place if they didn't think something was gonna force them, like the 'transitory' inflation we are experiencing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Lotta threads colliding here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ok def get a Prius

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

u should definitely time the market

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thechosenone posted:

Not necessarily on the f150, my dad was presumably just saying he wouldn't accept anything less for trade in value is why it was such a low number.

On the investment money, I figured since some guys at the fed started selling their stock, and the federal reserve itself intends to 'taper' their purchases, I don't see how private buyers can keep up if it took an infinite money printer to bring it up to the prices it's at now. Considering the people actually taking money from their retirement is t exactly gonna go down to match, I'd figure there would be downward pressure from that.

As for what I wanted to do with it, I wanted to get my dad to stop dogging me about letting it sit in my credit union or a high yield savings account that constantly bugged me about lowering their rates. I like having lotta liquid assets, and I don't want them to lose a bunch, even if it means not making so much money.

Think I'll out them into a bond fund or something. If I'm right that will probably yield more, if I'm wrong it doesn't really lose much

Edit: mind you they could just chicken out if these loses continue, but I doubt they would even joke about tapering in the first place if they didn't think something was gonna force them, like the 'transitory' inflation we are experiencing.

this aint the thread for it but like, bond fund yields are negative in real terms right now so your statement about bond funds is categorically incorrect

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Okay. Once the coast is clear in a year or so (or becomes clear that it won't clear), what kinda Prius would be best? I just want a small car honestly, maybe even just two doors, and preferably new so I don't have to deal with extra hucksters. I'll use the info for future reference if nothing else.

Edit: Wait is the Prius thing a joke?

Edit2: Also Yeah I'll take the trade talk to the other threads. Bit of a kneejerk reaction this has all been. Live and learn I guess. Thank you for your patience with all this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We would never joke about our Lord and savior Toyota Prius.

E: we're all just going to follow you to that thread

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean, if nothing else it's better than a Tesla.

Edit: and it's chill if you follow, just don't want to force folks who aren't interested to have to scroll through it if they don't want to.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

thechosenone posted:

Edit: Wait is the Prius thing a joke?

New thread title?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

let me just say as i buy this stupid truck that costs a million dollars a month in gas i wish i could drive the prius (with an msrp that is probably 40% less)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good news: you probably can