Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not about plot spoilers you dingdongs

It's about changes and cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

you write your posts [Dune Thread] fashion*

*and he shall know your ways!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Yeah some people have deliberately avoided trailers and want to go in blind, obviously everyone knows how Dune goes.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Shucks, I missed the annual reposting of Dune Sweded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gonna go head to my local neighborhood stone burning to avoid spoilers catch you later losers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shageletic posted:

gonna go head to my local neighborhood stone burning to avoid spoilers catch you later losers

alas you see the spoilers through the eyes of the lurkers and neonate :regd20:s

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

DEAD I AM THE ONE

PAUL ATREIDES SON
DICKLESS I WILL LAUGH
ON MY GOLDEN PATH

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

alas you see the spoilers through the eyes of the lurkers and neonate :regd20:s

Prescience is a trap

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

PAUL ATREIDES SON
DICKLESS I WILL LAUGH
ON MY GOLDEN PATH

:vince:

STROLL THROUGH THE SIETCHES AND gently caress ALL THE WITCHES
I SLAM IN THE BACKGROUND OF A SPICE ORGY

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ingmar terdman posted:

PAUL ATREIDES SON
DICKLESS I WILL LAUGH
ON MY GOLDEN PATH

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ColTim posted:

Shucks, I missed the annual reposting of Dune Sweded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

This is clearly the superior remake, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mo0OxH0SP0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

PAUL ATREIDES SON
DICKLESS I WILL LAUGH
ON MY GOLDEN PATH

Is this true?

Yes it’s true. This man has no dick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Is this true?

Yes it’s true. This man has no dick.

That's no man!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That's no man!

He’s a space station

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Thread seems to be leaking.

Mister Speaker posted:

the slow blade slices the squash

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Flakey posted:

The anti-air guns shooting up in to the sky.

Which was itself inspired by Gulf War footage from CNN

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Just saw movie.

Movie good.

Is probably better if you haven't read the book.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

Just saw movie.

Movie good.

Is probably better if you haven't read the book.

This will virtually guarantee a sequel if true

Because lol at any meaningful fraction of people reading Dune

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Well my four companions certainly enjoyed it, and two of them have never read, seen, or played anything Dune.

For me, every time something really good happened, they went and missed an opportunity or dropped a scene I would've liked to see.

And the Baron didn't do it for me. At all.

E:

But that's the thing. The movie was good, solid even, but if you've read the book you will most certainly be wanting for a scene here, a character there.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 16, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

THE BAR posted:

But that's the thing. The movie was good, solid even, but if you've read the book you will most certainly be wanting for a scene here, a character there.

That's pretty accurate I think. Also unrelated but I hear your avatar every time I see it, it's great.

DebonaireD posted:

Which was itself inspired by Gulf War footage from CNN

:monocle: Of course!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Well my four companions certainly enjoyed it, and two of them have never read, seen, or played anything Dune.

For me, every time something really good happened, they went and missed an opportunity or dropped a scene I would've liked to see.

And the Baron didn't do it for me. At all.

E:

Worried I'm gonna be like my brother when Fellowship of the Ring didn't have Tom Bombadil.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Your brother sounds like a merry fellow.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

My favourite scene was missing, and three important (to the book) characters were barely there, but the plot makes sense and some parts are meticulously detailed.

There's a scene where they not only nail the aesthetic of the ornithopters, the individual movements are shown exactly like they're described in the book.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Golden Path posted:

paul: mom i think i may be in trouble for getting $1300 in harkkonen money on a donation website by saying I have prescience please dont sing dragula
jessica: dead i am the one
paul, sobbing: please please i got a phone call from the CHOAM revenus agency
leto via distrans: conquering the worm

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
To everyone griping about "the dinner scene" not being in the movie: do you honestly think there's a good way to film something that's occurring 50% in peoples thoughts during a dinner party without resorting to Lynch whisper narration? Kinda seems like it would grind the movie to a halt

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AwkwardKnob posted:

To everyone griping about "the dinner scene" not being in the movie: do you honestly think there's a good way to film something that's occurring 50% in peoples thoughts during a dinner party without resorting to Lynch whisper narration? Kinda seems like it would grind the movie to a halt

I feel like it has to be there; but I simply cannot think of any way to do it. Maybe some things just can't work in film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would work in like a 9 hour miniseries I think

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel like it has to be there; but I simply cannot think of any way to do it. Maybe some things just can't work in film.

Some things actually do not work in films, and it’s why different narrative medias (books, games, movies, theaters) still have a place to tell their own version of a story.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
We all know that “Dune: The Musical” is coming

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Popoto posted:

We all know that “Dune: The Musical” is coming
"I hate every worm I see, from Shai-hulud to Leto 2!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Films absolutely can contain long dinner scenes full of banter. There are films that are mostly dinner banter scenes even.

Where it gets difficult is doing that in a fictional universe or a setting where lots of the background knowledge of the characters isn’t shared by the intended audience. This still isn’t impossible though. What makes it impossible in this case is that the movie is being made for the approval of blockbuster producers who want a movie that tens of millions of stupid people will go to watch. Dinner scene goes the way of Bombadil for the same reason, it doesn’t “move the plot” and threatens to confuse people and therefore it’s gotta go so we can sell some seats.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

please god emperor let me see this loving film

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's a pretty good scene in the Suspiria remake where a bunch of witches go out for dinner. While they're seemingly casually bantering, suddenly you start to hear the telepathic messages they're actually conveying back and forth hidden behind their performance of normalcy.

Wish I could find a clip online but yeah, something like that could work pretty well idk

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
beer is the wine killer

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why does everyone love the dinner scene so much? I mean, I don't dislike it, I'm just always struck that people seem so attached to it

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah I feel like this too but it is so important to the early part of the story that a director should at least try to shoot it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Jewmanji posted:

Why does everyone love the dinner scene so much? I mean, I don't dislike it, I'm just always struck that people seem so attached to it

Dense scene that not only conveys the social intricacies of the setting, but also illustrates the soft power of the bene gesserit while also showing in subtle ways how deeply hosed the duke is on Arrakis.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The dinner scene but Eddie Murphy plays everyone at the table

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kill All Cops posted:

beer is the wine killer

beer is the mind chiller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

pnumoman posted:

Dense scene that not only conveys the social intricacies of the setting, but also illustrates the soft power of the bene gesserit while also showing in subtle ways how deeply hosed the duke is on Arrakis.

I feel the movie did this well enough that the dinner scene isn't really needed, also I didn't read the books or watch the lynch movie before I saw Denny's version