Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DiscoJ posted:

The UK had a known reason for it. Try searching for ' bin ' on this page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_London

Oh, i know. I was just stating that it is not unique to Japan. Actually, Japan is far easier to find garbage cans than the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DiscoJ posted:

The UK had a known reason for it. Try searching for ' bin ' on this page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_London

Yeah, but the last case was apparently 1996, the Irish don't bomb stuff anymore, and I don't think any other terrorist group ever made that their MO.

Or maybe they do have trash cans in the UK now? I haven't been in about 6 years but I remember being pissed off the last time I was in London that I was completely unable to find anywhere to throw trash. At some point it becomes kind of ridiculous though, like if horses were still illegal in Russia because Mongol terrorists used horses to murder millions of people in the 1300s.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

Yeah, but the last case was apparently 1996, the Irish don't bomb stuff anymore, and I don't think any other terrorist group ever made that their MO.

Or maybe they do have trash cans in the UK now? I haven't been in about 6 years but I remember being pissed off the last time I was in London that I was completely unable to find anywhere to throw trash. At some point it becomes kind of ridiculous though, like if horses were still illegal in Russia because Mongol terrorists used horses to murder millions of people in the 1300s.

I realize I'm old, but comparing something that was happening with some regularity when I was in middle school to the Mongol empire seems a little much. Hell, some of the people doing the bombing are in the leadership of major political parties in Northern Ireland (both Unionist and Republican).

Also, Johnson and the DUP are currently doing their level best to start Troubles 2: Electric Boogaloo, so maybe not the best time to stop taking those sorts of precautions.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Reality is that in Japan every conbini has a trash can outside of the ones in super packed commercial areas where they probably couldn’t handle the volume of trash. So there’s really actually abundant trash cans and they’re effectively well-observed so it offsets general terrorism risk. Also probably keeps down rats (or at least keeps them away from public eye) and you don’t have corvids throwing trash around. It works. People complaining about it are just suffering from weird culture shock or some poo poo.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On top of that, p much any place that sells food in disposable wrappers (combini obviously, but also taiyaki stands, vending machines, etc) have a bin right there for the rubbish so it's only some kind of problem if you insist on eating while you stumble to the next meal or bringing your feedbag of Cheetos with you when you leave the hotel.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i guess it's been a while since y'all were in tokyo, but the lack of trash cans is definitely a pain in the rear end here, or at least i find it to be.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
What are you all talking about? There are bins beside almost every vending machine.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

prompt posted:

What are you all talking about? There are bins beside almost every vending machine.

:can:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

prompt posted:

And they now have more clearly defined signs saying they’re for cans or plastic bottles, not your bubble tea or Starbucks cup.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prompt posted:

:hfive:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Eating while walking should be an instant guillotine.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The days of 嫌よ嫌よも好きのうち are numbered.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/2010528.html

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Not sure about big cities but in the Inaka usually 7-Eleven keeps their bins inside, Lawson is 50/50 and Family Mart they are usually left outside.
If you have an embarrassing amount of garbage and you don’t wanna do the walk of shame go for Family Mart.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
What is all this garbage everyone is carrying around all the time?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
We all are garbage.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

IIRC the no garbage cans thing is a holdover from the olden days in large part for when people would just dump their home's trash in the public bins instead of paying for bags, and then the sarin thing, and so they're basically nonexistent. That said, it did a great job of training the populace to just save their trash and take it home and be more thoughtful about consumption. At least for some people I know it has.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao at saying anyone in Japan is thoughtful about their consumption

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

BB2K posted:

Figuring out how and when to stuff all your 2L PET bottles into the vending machine bin requires thought.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BB2K posted:

my only real basis for comparison is americans, but by that basis i'd say almost everyone in japan is thoughtful about their consumption

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, i know. I was just stating that it is not unique to Japan. Actually, Japan is far easier to find garbage cans than the UK.

Saladman posted:

Actually I would say the no trash can thing was more limited to central London and the City of London, i.e. the denser, more populated, and more touristy areas. Also train stations and other forms of public transport. I don't recall there ever being a purge in regular residential areas (e.g. the inner city area where I grew up). So I guess it depends where you're spending your time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My only Japan garbage story is I remember seeing a shitton of garbage bags piling up at some neighborhoods in Shibuya back in 2019. Could be cause it was the week of halloween and things were too chaotic/people produced a lot more garbage than usual, but thought it was kinda weird. Was also the first time in my life that I ever saw a rat too, as it ran out from beneath a pile of garbage to a hole in the wall.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The consumption angle in Japan seems to me to be a little all over the place. On the one hand you can buy second hand items (electronics or whatever) in near-mint condition and limit the need for new production and on the other hand they can be really excessive when it comes to plastic packaging materials around food/gifts, single use chopsticks and such. Then there is the idol music industry with individual customers buying hundreds of CDs for the tickets and throwing out most of said CDs as waste.

The Japanese government's numbers indicate that the US might have been one of the only major economies that created more plastic packaging waste per person (in kilograms/capita) than Japan, at least back in 2014. (http://www.env.go.jp/council/03recycle/y0312-01/y031201-s1.pdf, page 8).
If your baseline for comparison is the US, that would obviously make Japan look better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BB2K posted:

Hey now, there's been revolutionary change and now when you buy cookies they're only individually on plastic trays, wrapped in plastic, taped to a larger plastic tray, wrapped in plastic, put in a box, then shrink wrapped. Used to be they also put that in a plastic bag by default but no longer!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone travelled to Japan with a prescription supply of Concerta? I gather it's one of the only ADHD prescriptions that's recognized/available in Japan so I'm not sure if there's still a requirement to jump through hoops with paperwork to not be hassled/detained when bringing it into the country? I've never had to travel with any prescriptions before, let alone a drug cautious country like Japan, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into when travel opens back up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven’t, but it’s still a controlled substance. You have to get your doctor to fill out some paperwork and there’s a cap on the supply, probably 90 days. It’s not impossible, it’s an extra hoop.

Just don’t try to be cool and put it in a ziplock.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bring it and sell it to me

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm glad my lovely Japanese was enough to get me a new smartphone, a 5G plan, and fiber Internet.

However I can't seem to figure out how to get my mobile Suica and Pasmo charged until I get a usable credit/debit card. My US cards simply aren't accepted. I know it should be possible to top up the passes at like a 7-11 ATM, but the IC reader just isn't recognizing my phone.

It's weird because my phone has no problem reading my physical Pasmo card and can tell me the exact balance.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah you gotta wait. Just use your normal pasmo until you get your Japanese cards.
http://mobilesuica.okbiz.okwave.jp/faq/show/69?site_domain=default

Probably half the time I see someone trying to pay their bus fare or get into the station with their apple watch or smartphone, they end up holding up the line for one reason or another.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s really weird because I can load my suica card with my Canadian card without even being in Japan. I add a dollar here and there every few months when I’m bored :q:

Phone posted:

I haven’t, but it’s still a controlled substance. You have to get your doctor to fill out some paperwork and there’s a cap on the supply, probably 90 days. It’s not impossible, it’s an extra hoop.

Just don’t try to be cool and put it in a ziplock.

Ahh, well I’ll have to figure out what the paperwork is then. I was hoping it would be more lax if it’s prescribed but that makes sense.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

zmcnulty posted:

Yeah you gotta wait. Just use your normal pasmo until you get your Japanese cards.
http://mobilesuica.okbiz.okwave.jp/faq/show/69?site_domain=default

Probably half the time I see someone trying to pay their bus fare or get into the station with their apple watch or smartphone, they end up holding up the line for one reason or another.

I just walked in to 7-11 and was able to charge the Pasmo on my phone. So that's cool. Just gotta use up whatever balance was on my physical card and then I too can start to hold up lines by fumbling with my smartphone to pay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

That’s really weird because I can load my suica card with my Canadian card without even being in Japan. I add a dollar here and there every few months when I’m bored :q:

Ahh, well I’ll have to figure out what the paperwork is then. I was hoping it would be more lax if it’s prescribed but that makes sense.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

It's easy, one of the people I went with last February had to get the permit for his adhd meds and it was a snap to do over the internet. Five extra minutes at customs at Narita to show the inspector the permit and the pill bottle and he was good to go.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

I just walked in to 7-11 and was able to charge the Pasmo on my phone. So that's cool. Just gotta use up whatever balance was on my physical card and then I too can start to hold up lines by fumbling with my smartphone to pay.

for iPhone if you set it as the Express Transit card from the Wallet, you don't even need to have the app open, just hold the top of the phone near the reader and it should work. Only tricky time is when trying to use vending machines that make you choose the payment method.

and yeah I think I was able to use an American card linked via Apple Pay to top up my Mobile Suica card via that app, otherwise you put in the credit card number specifically.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

harperdc posted:

and yeah I think I was able to use an American card linked via Apple Pay to top up my Mobile Suica card via that app, otherwise you put in the credit card number specifically.

This works for me and for everyone in my family.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Midjack posted:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

It's easy, one of the people I went with last February had to get the permit for his adhd meds and it was a snap to do over the internet. Five extra minutes at customs at Narita to show the inspector the permit and the pill bottle and he was good to go.

Hey thanks! This is great news :)

E:

quote:

When you bring your personal medicines into Japan up to the amount described below, you do not have to apply for "Yunyu Kakunin-sho", instead the officers at customs check the amount of your bringing medicines, and then you can bring them into Japan.

◆ Poison, Deadly poison, Prescription drug : Up to 1 month supply

Ah yes officer, you know, just my prescription poison. Yes, a one month supply. Thank you, I will have a nice trip!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 18, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the poison thing can't come up very often in customs.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i had a package of tums denied at customs a couple months ago.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My flight was one of the last to land for the night and the guy didn't even wait for me to finish saying I had a letter for the meds and waved me through.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GotLag posted:

My flight was one of the last to land for the night and the guy didn't even wait for me to finish saying I had a letter for the meds and waved me through.

I would also want as little to do with the deadly poison as possible as well, so can’t blame him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was very surprised last trip that they actually checked my bags. I'd never had that happen in Japan before, I suspected it was pre-Olympics tightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I arrived with four bags, my bicycle case, and my cat. The customs official only wanted to look inside my backpack. The 5 boxes I shipped from Hawaii via Yamato weren't opened or examined at all. I could have really brought in some poo poo, lol.