Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The king's insistence on using his own pharma company to manufacture their vaccines is so blatantly corrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The king's insistence on using his own pharma company to manufacture their vaccines is so blatantly corrupt

It's going to bite them in the rear end eventually. The only way for Thailand to come out of this remotely intact is to spend a shitload of money to double vaccination rates.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What happened? They only hit a high of 7000 the other day. The US is still blowing past that every day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a scale issue in Thailand. The hospitals are just overrun and this has a knock-on effect for the whole health sector. Nurses and doctors are exhausted. Measures taken leading up to this haven't worked. They should have gone for much harsher restrictions in February and things might actually be normal again now.

With exponential growth and the primary variant being Delta, things are expected to get much worse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a scale issue in Thailand. The hospitals are just overrun and this has a knock-on effect for the whole health sector. Nurses and doctors are exhausted. Measures taken leading up to this haven't worked. They should have gone for much harsher restrictions in February and things might actually be normal again now.

With exponential growth and the primary variant being Delta, things are expected to get much worse.

Oh I see. I'm guessing they will just institute a full lockdown for 2 or 3 weeks, then. I feel bad for the Thai people. The government really seems to be inept.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They've been in meetings all morning. We should know by tonight.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

14 day don't-call-it-a-lockdown flr BKK starting tomorrow.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah we made sure to get back from our brief sojourn as plastic factory fire refugees to beat any lockdown regulations that may have gone into effect at the weekend. Seems like nothing officially begins until Monday.

I wonder how intentional that is? Surely the weekend doesn't stop the government here in a crisis? Part of me thinks they actually want anyone who can or will need to leave Bangkok to go in an attempt to reduce the crammed housing situation among the poor and working class being the main transmission vector.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Lockdowns and vaccinations are literally the only tools in the arsenal anywhere. The lockdowns haven't been great but what is the alternative? Hospitals already reaching capacity at just 7k cases a day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I get that and I have no issue with the lockdown. I just wonder why we need a 2 day lead on it. If the point is to stop movement, why tell everyone they have 2 days to do as much moving as they want? It feels intentional, either to give as many people a chance to get to where they want to be as possible and/or to encourage people to get out of city centers. It could be as simple as needing time to set up checkpoints and the like, but given the history of coups, I would assume that's the one area where their response time is actually really efficient. It's just idle speculation on my part though.

I was fortunate enough to register for Moderna before the system crashed so it's just a waiting game for me. October can't come fast enough.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

In Thailand, right now those increase cases numbers are localized in a few places, like Bangkok, so medical facility there got hit extra bad. We have been finding more vaccines, but that's going to take a few months still.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
At least this time they're keeping parks open, at least for now. I've been running with a mask on for months now and honestly don't mind it. I'd lose my mind if I couldn't run though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I think the tides will turn in Bangkok because even old people I know are taking AZ vaccines or just any reputable vaccine. For a while the disinformation campaign was keeping people away from vaccines with never-ending scare tactics but the fear of the virus never ending or killing people is finally starting to win out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welp, so much for visiting Thailand this winter. :smith:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Even if you could visit it won't be the same country. Even major streamers are leaving the country now because there is no end in sight and the sandbox is a failure.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Not a place I want to visit on holiday.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Holy poo poo. DMK holds a weird special place in my heart because I go through it so many times every time I'm in Thailand. So surreal seeing it like that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Even if you could visit it won't be the same country. Even major streamers are leaving the country now because there is no end in sight and the sandbox is a failure.

lol at streamers being like rats running from a sinking ship, an apt metaphor in so many ways

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol at streamers being like rats running from a sinking ship, an apt metaphor in so many ways

Yea, it's wild, I said streamers but I meant Youtubers.. even the ones that presumably try to do charitable work and what not. Although part of it was them getting threats because they were still trying to film experiences and adventures during Covid.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

[written in late March/early April]

I have to confess that another big motivation for me is COVID. I am now fully vaccinated but I recognize that the airport/flight over could be a problem with variants, but after the inevitable quarantine period I want to live in a country where I can have a normal life and not be afraid all of the time which is how I feel like things will stand in the West for years to come. I look at Vietnam having what, 3 new cases per 100,000 in the past few weeks? Regardless of how much Asian countries may or may not be cooking the books, their response has undeniably been insanely robust compared to everywhere else.

I just clicked on this thread for the first time in 6 months, and this post really aged like a fine milk. Vietnam registered 1/3rd of its entire cumulative COVID deaths yesterday, good lord.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 4, 2021

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Ho Chi Minh city is in a really bad situation and has been since May. Delta variant is too much for all the awesome work Vietnam has been doing since this clusterfuck began..

However, I got my first vaccine shot here in Hanoi yesterday!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
At least Vietnam managed to more or less hold off Covid until a few months ago. Widespread vaccination is well underway now in Saigon, I'm hoping that means that this won't go on that much longer and maybe things can start to open up again in a couple of months

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
We've been at home in Thailand since basically March. The only time we traveled was when a plastic factory exploded and we had to evacuate. It's been surreal.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Is everything still horrible and dangerous in Thailand?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Halman posted:

That's not a nice way to describe their government.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Halman posted:

My wife was actually talking to one of her best friends last night during a bout of insomnia. Said friend lives in Bangkok and apparently has hardly left her condo since April :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My cousin lives near Patong and is basically the same. The Muay Thai gym he works at is closed indefinitely so he’s got no income, and all the shops/restaurants/cafes etc they used to patronise have all closed down as well, and the former owners are mostly begging in the streets :smith:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I live on the edge of Bangkok and am bored out of my mind. I've gotten one dose of AZ and am teaching online. The days bleed together.

Better safe than sorry though.

I've also noticed that a lot of restaurants have vanished from Food Panda. I think that means they're not even bothering to open. Big places like McDonald's are still operating, but online orders made up a significant portion of their business to begin with. For smaller shops, they were probably only getting a couple of orders a day and couldn't justify staying open. I suspect many will not return to business in the future.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I've been chilling on Koh Phangan the last month and a half. Seems one of the few pockets that's somewhat kinda normal. No full moon parties or anything like that - but in certain areas like Sri Thanu and Thong Sala at least most of the restaurants are open and you can find some subdued but fun nightlife. The crowds here are mostly long term expats and escapees from Bangkok. Been cool to go swimming and hiking here every day with basically no tourists. Have a good gym I go to every day. Rented a beach side house for $350 per month. Starting to get a bit bored as it's such a small island though - was at Samui for awhile before and the vibes are better here for my personal tastes.

Might relocate to Chiang Mai soon. I know the national parks are closed there and bars are shut down but from what I've heard restaurants, massage, gyms, malls, etc are still going. Plenty of routes to just go on long motorbike trips as well. Always wanted to check out that part of the country this time of year. They've been reporting less than 50 cases per day there for a long time now - for whatever that's worth.

I have two doses of Moderna so moving around the country has been easy in the rare instance I do it. I've been staying far far away from Bangkok and basically anywhere central Thailand since April. Might have to rent a car and make the long drive if I do go north as flights are a no go right now. Right now they're canceled until Sept 1 - good chance that gets extended.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Hopefully you weren't one of the ten foreigners busted last night for drinking on the beach. :cheers:

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hopefully you weren't one of the ten foreigners busted last night for drinking on the beach. :cheers:

Lol, nope. I spent yesterday evening here on my patio.

My monthly rental today was up so I left the island this morning after seeing what's coming. Curfews, takeaway food only, gyms all have to close starting tomorrow. The little island bubble burst finally.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Boola posted:

Lol, nope. I spent yesterday evening here on my patio.

My monthly rental today was up so I left the island this morning after seeing what's coming. Curfews, takeaway food only, gyms all have to close starting tomorrow. The little island bubble burst finally.

I drank a beer on my patio on Sunday while a frog sat in a flower pot next to me. It was a good afternoon.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I drank a beer on my patio on Sunday while a frog sat in a flower pot next to me. It was a good afternoon.

Sounds like a day well spent. Frog is one of my favorite words in Thai to say. Other candidates - nok who, ga wow, susu, sud yot, gai bahn

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I live on the edge of Bangkok and am bored out of my mind. I've gotten one dose of AZ and am teaching online.

I've also noticed that a lot of restaurants have vanished from Food Panda.

Hey, same here man.

About restaurants disappearing from FP, that may have more to do with the recent publicity blunder they pulled, calling someone seen wearing a one of their jackets in a protest a "terrorist." Haven't like 3 million people deleted the app. or their account, and hundreds of restaurants pulled out?

Also they've been kind of a lovely company for a while now, as I understand it.

Here's a common sight around the city lately:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

bromplicated posted:

Hey, same here man.

About restaurants disappearing from FP, that may have more to do with the recent publicity blunder they pulled, calling someone seen wearing a one of their jackets in a protest a "terrorist." Haven't like 3 million people deleted the app. or their account, and hundreds of restaurants pulled out?

Also they've been kind of a lovely company for a while now, as I understand it.

Here's a common sight around the city lately:

Oh wow, shows how closely I follow Thai events. I just assumed it was because Mega was where all the restaurants I typically ordered from was and that's a wasteland at the moment.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thailand is opening Oct 1? Oct 15? I see both dates.

Is this a true full opening or is it more BS like the Phuket sandbox where they constantly test the tourists to grift as much $$ as possible?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I’m under the impression it’s still October 15th without any sandbox quarantine.

Cases appear to have peaked and trending down.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it's more garbage. Gotta pay for multiple tests after arrival. Can only stay at certain hotels. Gotta get a certificate of entry.

The thai govt really doesn't seem to know what they are doing with attracting tourists.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't really know what you expect in the middle of a pandemic. Thailand got caught off guard pretty badly and while things are trending downward, we still only have about a quarter of the total population fully vaccinated. Add to this the fact that most people have been given Astra Zeneca and they're pretty strict on the 12 week wait between doses and it's going to be a real long time before things are normal, in Thailand or anywhere else frankly.

Because of the global pandemic.

That's still happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't really know what you expect in the middle of a pandemic. Thailand got caught off guard pretty badly and while things are trending downward, we still only have about a quarter of the total population fully vaccinated. Add to this the fact that most people have been given Astra Zeneca and they're pretty strict on the 12 week wait between doses and it's going to be a real long time before things are normal, in Thailand or anywhere else frankly.

Because of the global pandemic.

That's still happening.

Thanks for posting this. The entitlement of American tourists really is unbelievable sometimes