Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

And please, the promise of "well you won't get severe disease" is a sick loving joke. 'Mild' covid can include everything up to getting a ventilator jammed down your throat.

Can you take it down a notch? Mild to moderate covid does not describe people who end up on ventilators. There's plenty of other reasons to not be callous about the possibility of getting covid but this is a bit much.

e: alas I am caught phone posting, can someone hook this page up with a pet tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

CDC still officially says wear a cloth mask, not an N95. lol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Boosting kills transmission, stopping transmission stops cases, stopping cases means we do not have to worry so much about the unknown long-term consequences of mild-to-moderate covid. The reports of cognitive/neurological damage alone should be argument enough. We do not want a repeat of leaded gasoline or the post-Spanish Flu encephalitis or any of these other outcomes of "let's just have a little brain damage as a treat" policies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CDC is like someone who has been forced to concede a point, but they really want to save face so they insist that actually you were both partially right in some horrible pedantic way.

THUS OF OULD

THUS NOW

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Yeah you can be on oxygen with a ❝ 𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒹 ❞ case, but I don’t see outpatient ventilation happening.

e: This is how it was really loving obvious that Downing Street was lying when Johnson went to hospital “for oxygen”. Oxygen can be administered at home. The only reasons a person of such means goes to the hospital is for something that can’t be brought to them, potentially an NMRI but the top suspect was rightly the ventilator.

If you need oxygen you go to the hospital. Never mind what's possible, when you need oxygen you're going to be in a "holy gently caress I'm going to die get me to the hospital" frame of mind.

Professor Beetus posted:

Can you take it down a notch? Mild to moderate covid does not describe people who end up on ventilators. There's plenty of other reasons to not be callous about the possibility of getting covid but this is a bit much.

"up to" excludes by default, hence why we say "up to and including". Easy mistake to make tho.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Platystemon posted:

CDC is like someone who has been forced to concede a point, but they really want to save face so they insist that actually you were both partially right in some horrible pedantic way.

THUS OF OULD

THUS NOW

so intentionally misleading. Just a big red X over an N95. What is wrong with them. Will better PPE scare people from going out to eat?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

jetz0r posted:

And don't forget that this is America, where a week in a hospital will easily cost a quarter million dollars, or maybe only $50,000 if you have insurance. So in addition to suffering through the sickness and any potential long term effects, merely going to a hospital is financial ruination for the working class here.

This is going to be extremely pedantic, but your insurer actually can't bill you for $50,000 for stuff they cover (refusing coverage is a separate issue I'm not familiar with). The ACA-mandated out of pocket maximum is $8,550 for 2021. Which is absolutely still ruinous and lovely for working and middle class people.

The main reason I know this is I hit my out of pocket maximum last year with an 11-day hospital stay. The hospital billed my insurer $300k and change and my own cost was the out of pocket maximum. Which was still a huge chunk of change, just not $50k.

I'm not defending the health insurance system and am very much pro universal healthcare, you just don't seem to be familiar with some of the (tedious, awful) details.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vasukhani posted:

so intentionally misleading. Just a big red X over an N95. What is wrong with them. Will better PPE scare people from going out to eat?

Yeah they have basically a perfect depiction of a 3M model 8210. You can buy them at the hardware store right now for eighty‐five cents apiece. They are not approved for surgical settings.

The closest “surgical” equivalent (i.e. with an FDA rating for splash resistance) is the model 1860, and it’s distinctly cyan with white straps.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 17, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is going to be extremely pedantic, but your insurer actually can't bill you for $50,000 for stuff they cover (refusing coverage is a separate issue I'm not familiar with). The ACA-mandated out of pocket maximum is $8,550 for 2021. Which is absolutely still ruinous and lovely for working and middle class people.

The main reason I know this is I hit my out of pocket maximum last year with an 11-day hospital stay. The hospital billed my insurer $300k and change and my own cost was the out of pocket maximum. Which was still a huge chunk of change, just not $50k.

I'm not defending the health insurance system and am very much pro universal healthcare, you just don't seem to be familiar with some of the (tedious, awful) details.

That's only in-network, unfortunately, and if you have a family plan that doubles even if it's just one person using it. Employer plans also have some more wiggle room and loopholes for larger OOP maximums, even in-network. The HHS put out some out-of-network surprise billing rules in July, but I have no idea how closely they are being followed or enforced, or if there are remaining loopholes.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Big ONS study out on Long Covid and it's good news for kids

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...20to1august2021

Probably the most salient point is that at the 4 week check in and at the 12 week check in more kids aged 2-11 years in the non-covid control group were reporting long covid symptoms that the kids with covid.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stickman posted:

That's only in-network, unfortunately, and if you have a family plan that doubles even if it's just one person using it. Employer plans also have some more wiggle room and loopholes for larger OOP maximums, even in-network. The HHS put out some out-of-network surprise billing rules in July, but I have no idea how closely they are being followed or enforced, or if there are remaining loopholes.

Oh yeah, the amount of paperwork and rules lawyering with health insurance is just incredibly difficult and confusing to navigate on top of the $$$.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Professor Beetus posted:

e: alas I am caught phone posting, can someone hook this page up with a pet tax?

Where did I say people end up on ventilators with mild covid?

My exact wording was up to a ventilator being shoved down your throat. Please read what I said and judge based on that, do not put words down my throat.

edit: 'Mild' covid is a disease everyone is this thread should pray they never experience, and certainly none of their loved ones experience either. It is pure hell on earth for many people. It should not be shoo'ed away as acceptable by any means.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 17, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

My exact wording was up to a ventilator being shoved down your throat. Please read what I said and judge based on that, do not put words down my throat.

"up to" vs "up to and including" is ambiguous in english

mod sassinator posted:

edit: 'Mild' covid is a disease everyone is this thread should pray they never experience, and certainly none of their loved ones experience either. It is pure hell on earth for many people. It should not be shoo'ed away as acceptable by any means.

now this is the real thing to keep in mind

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

Apologies for misunderstanding you, and I am absolutely in agreement that no one should be blase about getting covid or exposing their loved ones to it. I am sure all of this thread is pretty much in agreement that many govt responses should be better.

Not saying this has to be a hugbox but just try to remember everyone here is coming from sometimes wildly different circumstances and will have different takes as a result.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mississippi just took the crown of deadliest state on worldometer

New York lost the #3 spot to Louisiana

Just unbelievable how much damage these antivax con men are doing

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Mild covid does not put you in my icu, and doesn't leave you dependant on high flow oxygen and a bipap after being recovered and out of the hospital or in an ltac.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

mod sassinator posted:

Needing to go on oxygen is almost always going to show up in hospitalization stats, and those (so far) are showing significant protection with a 2-dose regimen. Yes, it's possible to be on oxygen at home, but if you need to go on oxygen, the overwhelming majority of cases are going to go be hospitalized first, and then later put on oxygen once they've stabilized.

Not to mention there's options between passive oxygen being supplied and a ventilator, all of which are going to require hospitalization.

You can do dialysis at home, but that doesn't mean that people with unexpected kidney failure just suddenly go on home PD without going to the hospital first.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Treating 'mild to moderate' covid as not a big deal is like treating a 'mild to moderate' gunshot wound as not a big deal. People aren't wrong for wanting to prevent a disease that can cause permanent, severe damage to your body, which 'mild to moderate' covid can and does. Even supposedly asymptomatic covid can do that.

I feel like the people acting like it's not a big deal have probably never had covid or known anyone who did. "Mild to moderate' covid is loving terrifying

I had 'mild to moderate' covid in march of last year and if you think that's not something to worry about then you clearly just have absolutely no idea what it's actually like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone in Pfizer's marketing department needs to get fired.

That name is terrible on its own, but how can it compete with SpikeVax?

https://twitter.com/GovCanHealth/status/1438521798761517056

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I was wondering where the name actually came from, and:

quote:

“The name is coined from Covid-19 immunity, and then embeds the mRNA in the middle, which is the platform technology, and as a whole the name is meant to evoke the word community,”

God, it's such marketing nonsense :allears:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Comirnaty sounds like when you're intubated and trying to say "community".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll pass on the Pfizer vaccine, I'm waiting for herd imirnaty

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

It’s like they’re trying to make things as confusing as possible to the general public.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The AstraZeneca should be called Vaxzilla since it's so close already

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

I was wondering where the name actually came from, and:

God, it's such marketing nonsense :allears:

I don't know what I thought their rationale for this name was but this is worse than anything I could have come up with. :byodood: comirnaty

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'll pass on the Pfizer vaccine, I'm waiting for herd imirnaty

lmao

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

double lmao

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

empty whippet box posted:

Treating 'mild to moderate' covid as not a big deal is like treating a 'mild to moderate' gunshot wound as not a big deal. People aren't wrong for wanting to prevent a disease that can cause permanent, severe damage to your body, which 'mild to moderate' covid can and does. Even supposedly asymptomatic covid can do that.

I feel like the people acting like it's not a big deal have probably never had covid or known anyone who did. "Mild to moderate' covid is loving terrifying

I had 'mild to moderate' covid in march of last year and if you think that's not something to worry about then you clearly just have absolutely no idea what it's actually like.

I don't think anyone wants mild to moderate COVID, but given the choice between min maxing antibodies for Americans or getting first / second doses in arms of people around the world, it feels like there's a lot more benefit to getting someone vaccinated in the first place than giving a booster that is going to probably have a small impact on deaths / hospitalizations.

I know the refrain in here is that's politically infeasible, but this thread also complains about the federal government not doing things that are probably politically infeasible all the time! For sure it's impractical to account for every single dose that's been distributed to pharmacies and ensure that not a single dose of the vaccine is wasted, but it should absolutely be possible to maintain a stockpile that ensures that Americans have a couple months supply of doses and donate their oldest doses to maintain that stockpile as new shipments arrive.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Question: With OSHA formulating a rule, does that mean that employers who don't comply or comply in provably lax ways that lead to outbreaks could potentially be held liable?

Also, what I've seen so far with regards to employer vaccine mandates:
-My wife works at a religious-affiliated nursing home that takes medicare money. They've issued a mandate, with no "test out" option, its vaccine or fired. To be exempt from the mandate you need either a letter from your doctor or claim a "long-held religious belief," and anyone who claims a religious exemption they're going to convene a panel to determine if the request for exemption is granted. Its actually been very impressive to see this roll out.

-My employer, a very large corporate entity in a chuddy field, is requiring people to attest to their vaccination status and claim exemptions without much of anything in the way of proof. No test-out provisions will be made. While I'm unhappy with this being as lax as it is, I'm surprised they're going forward with mandates at all so I still take this as encouraging.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

New York Times is reporting that the FDA panel is indeed meeting today to discuss Pfizer booster shots.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If they wanna get chuds to get vaxxed, they need to start branding them like sketchy weightlifting supplements, like Thermonuclear Covid Blaster or Double Chocolate Coronafaceslam.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MojoAZ posted:

Question: With OSHA formulating a rule, does that mean that employers who don't comply or comply in provably lax ways that lead to outbreaks could potentially be held liable?

If you violate an OSHA rule, you can be defined. Whether you are fined or not depends on how serious the violation is, and if your violating it is "willful", which has a special meaning under the rule. Under certain circumstances, if a rule violation leads to the death of an employee, it can lead to prison time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Illuminti posted:

Big ONS study out on Long Covid and it's good news for kids

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...20to1august2021

Probably the most salient point is that at the 4 week check in and at the 12 week check in more kids aged 2-11 years in the non-covid control group were reporting long covid symptoms that the kids with covid.

I suspect that, 5 or 10 years down the line, we will find that 'long covid' ended up being a pretty small and insignificant thing, all in all. This is heartening.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MadJackal posted:

It’s like they’re trying to make things as confusing as possible to the general public.

Yeah, agreed. This whole last year's been pretty confusing, and the reactions of agencies like the FDA (ie. not even discussing boosters this week) have only added to the fear and confusion. To be honest, it's pretty worrying that the CDC still has mixed messaging about N95 masks on its website. I can't imagine how many deaths have already been caused by trusted medical agencies telling people to wear a cloth mask or surgical mask, or telling vaccinated people not to wear masks, or telling people they don't need a booster shot.

How are u posted:

I suspect that, 5 or 10 years down the line, we will find that 'long covid' ended up being a pretty small and insignificant thing, all in all. This is heartening.

Hmmm, I don't know, that seems like a very high-risk low-reward bet.
If HIV was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to just mild immune suppression.
If Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to mild confusion and mild brain damage. (which is a particularly worrying comparison, since COVID also causes brain damage)
If chicken pox was discovered just a few months ago, there's no way we'd be able to predict shingles as a long-term side effect.

The scary answer is that we have no idea how COVID affects people even 5 years after infection, much less 50. The best way we can protect ourselves (and our kids) from long-term side effects is using P100 masks and booster shots to make sure we never give it a chance to infect us.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Welcome to the Something Awful forums, new user Bane Mask Golem. It's nice to have brand new users joining the conversation :)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

How are u posted:

I still remain skeptical of the nebulous combinations of symptoms we're calling long COVID. There are clearly some long-term symptoms in some people with COVID, but when you look at long COVID studies they include every symptom under the sun as long COVID and I've only seen a few stratify by clusters of symptoms. It is likely in my mind that we are conflating a lot of possible things into "long COVID" because we have no agreed upon definition of what long COVID even is.

What I think is happening is that we're conflating several separate (but still important) conditions: 1) physical symptoms induced by COVID that have truly become chronic, 2) pre-existing conditions that were exacerbated by COVID such as diabetes, 3) mental health conditions that were exacerbated or caused by the trauma of having COVID, 4) mental health conditions that were exacerbated or caused by societal changes/stress of the pandemic.

Each of these conditions are valid and important to study and understand, but it is important to disentangle them. We can't conduct a good study of a cause-and-effect relationship if the effects are so poorly defined as the causal mechanisms for each of the possibilities listed above could be quite different. Right now I don't really trust many of the long COVID studies that have come across my desk (including our own study which has a long COVID component! I'm constantly arguing about it with the investigators.)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I liked the multiple tweets I saw when it was first announced saying "serx sersons and a mervie"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ermahgerd comirnaty

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Welcome to the Something Awful forums, new user Bane Mask Golem. It's nice to have brand new users joining the conversation :)

Aww thanks. :) Yeah, facebook and reddit have been getting... pretty weird lately, so I figured I should finally stop lurking.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

bane mask golem posted:

Yeah, agreed. This whole last year's been pretty confusing, and the reactions of agencies like the FDA (ie. not even discussing boosters this week) have only added to the fear and confusion. To be honest, it's pretty worrying that the CDC still has mixed messaging about N95 masks on its website. I can't imagine how many deaths have already been caused by trusted medical agencies telling people to wear a cloth mask or surgical mask, or telling vaccinated people not to wear masks, or telling people they don't need a booster shot.

Hmmm, I don't know, that seems like a very high-risk low-reward bet.
If HIV was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to just mild immune suppression.
If Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to mild confusion and mild brain damage. (which is a particularly worrying comparison, since COVID also causes brain damage)
If chicken pox was discovered just a few months ago, there's no way we'd be able to predict shingles as a long-term side effect.

The scary answer is that we have no idea how COVID affects people even 5 years after infection, much less 50. The best way we can protect ourselves (and our kids) from long-term side effects is using P100 masks and booster shots to make sure we never give it a chance to infect us.

They are literally discussing boosters at the very moment you posted this. You can watch it live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQevYc2jX7Y

The CDC is a hollow shell of what it once was thanks in part to the Trump admin. I know a lot of people who graduated from my program who would have gone on to apply to the CDC saying "absolutely not" after seeing all the bullshit of the federal government in recent years. Many of them went to local public health, academia, or pharma instead. Who wants to be a scientist for the government when the president is manipulating your work with a sharpie for national television? Who wants to work for the CDC when the president is suggesting people drink bleach? Etc.

HIV maintains a persistent viral load after infection without treatment. COVID viral load is typically undetectable after 2 weeks of infection.
CJD is caused by prions not a virus so the mechanism is very different.
Varicella Zoster is more interesting in that it does indeed lay dormant and then possibly cause shingles. However, I don't think we've ever previously observed a coronavirus capable of being dormant in a way similar to Varicella Zoster. They are structurally very different.

I'm not a virologist or immunologist but I am skeptical about the possibility of some sort of long term surprise covid 2: covid with a vengeance years down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what was the R value for OG covid that SA settled on? 8? 7?