Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah, once you get to a good CP level, you don't need to group most times and can kill WBs and clear dungeons solo. It's kind of too bad, but also nice in some situations. A decent guild is a good solution to that, though.

The flip side to that coin is when people complain loudly when you're in the area going about your own business. I was questing in Coldharbor and killed a quest objective 30 seconds before someone else showed up and in zone chat he goes "DON'T YOU LOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE RANDOMLY HAPPENS ON YOUR QUEST BOSS AND KILLS THEM SO YOU HAVE TO WAIT 15 MINUTES FOR IT TO RESPAWN?"

It's like, are you so self-centered that you can't comprehend someone might be on the same quest as you? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

There needs to be a hard mode for questing and public dungeons. Not sure how it would work without instancing everything, but it would be awesome.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, world bosses are a fun solo challenge now that I have decent set of gear.

Edit: Not sure I would want the entire game to be like that, but a difficulty scaler would be cool if there was some way to do it without splitting the player base. Although I hear the dlc content is harder?

Also, I would join a guild but I have some pretty heavy real-life commitments at the moment and prefer to totally switch off the brain when I have spare time. So I knew what I was signing up for in this weird solo MMO :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 16, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

There needs to be a hard mode for questing and public dungeons. Not sure how it would work without instancing everything, but it would be awesome.

voluntary x3 or x4 damage taken modifier?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the combat in this game is kinda bad but also way better than every other elder scrolls game so its a wash

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Might give it a shot then. Sub optional just means I have to buy the game and DLCs and I can play it whenever, right?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Thumbtacks posted:

Might give it a shot then. Sub optional just means I have to buy the game and DLCs and I can play it whenever, right?

There's also an infinite bag for crafting ingredients while your sub is active, which is very convenient but not essential (I wouldn't play without it but I'm lazy).

There's also a fair few DLC to buy, which makes the sub somewhat worthwhile, you get cash shop currency for it too, which you can either sell for ingame money or use to buy the odd house or whatever.

If you're extra-not :effort: you only need to buy the base game, I think someone ITT did that and just bought everything with ingame money, but it's a serious time investment.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Private Speech posted:

If you're extra-not :effort: you only need to buy the base game, I think someone ITT did that and just bought everything with ingame money, but it's a serious time investment.

That’s cool, I wish I had the patience for poo poo like that, reminds me of the person who played wow naked

Wait I mean with no armor, I’m the one who played naked :wink:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Even the base game alone, if you go through all three factions, is hundreds of hours.

Although I'd recommend just paying $15 To go to more spots and for craft bag.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thumbtacks posted:

Yes. I'd just buy the base game, see what you like. There's a lot there for every level from beginner to end game. At some point you'll either decide you're good, decide to buy expansions/DLC or decide to sub, but it'll be easier to understand the options and what you find worthwhile.

Any DLC/expansions you own you can play without a sub. The sub gives access to all of them except the latest yearly expansion. The sub also increases bank space and adds a craft bag for mats. There are some other perks, those are the significant ones.

Private Speech posted:

It's me the crazy person who bought all the DLC with gold. It would definitely be harder now. At the time gold was 100:1 so I got all the zone DLC's within a month or two of playing and the dungeon DLCs later. Now that would require a lot more gold so it would definitely be a longer term time/gold investment, but definitely doable if someone wants to go that route.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 16, 2021

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If you don't play this game for the pvp uninstall

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

insane anime posted:

I thought that was supposed to be the worst part

Or at least what the op is always mad about

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

I thought that was supposed to be the worst part

Or at least what the op is always mad about
My impression is that PVPers like the game's PVP but the performance sucks and ZOS keeps messing with the balance (PVEers also complain about this, each blames ZOS catering to the other for it).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My impression is that PVPers like the game's PVP but the performance sucks and ZOS keeps messing with the balance (PVEers also complain about this, each blames ZOS catering to the other for it).

They have the 3 team fight DAOC siege pvp, but don't seem to do much of anything with it fun or make it worthwhile at all.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I did PVP for exactly long enough to get the 30% riding speed passive, which involved doing like five tutorial things while I never saw another soul. So, I'm completely undefeated in PVP, I'm basically the king.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Thumbtacks posted:

In addition to all other benefits of subscribing is that you get a decent amount of crowns (Zenimax version of bullshit coins used in cash shop). Even if you don't use them yourself, you can sell them.

For selling I heartily recommend you don't go get scammed and lowballed on chat channels. Register for Crown Network or such and you can easily sell your crowns for much higher than what they go for on chat channels. You also get a broker for the trade so you don't get swindled. I sold all my sub crowns off a few weeks back and on CN they went for 1250:1 (-5% for broker). Best you can get on PC/EU atm on chat channels is 1000:1 without broker.

e: Just checked CN, it's 1500:1 atm :mrgw:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 17, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'll give it a shot, $20 isn't too bad and I don't mind dropping that on it. I'm guessing I can't play the DLC classes or whatever unless I also have that DLC? Kinda dumb that I can either buy the base game or EVERY dlc put together.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
just actually bothered to read the OP, this has the equivalent of WvWvW? buying immediately

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thumbtacks posted:

just actually bothered to read the OP, this has the equivalent of WvWvW? buying immediately

Cyroidil and Imperial City are very silly places.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'll give it a shot, $20 isn't too bad and I don't mind dropping that on it. I'm guessing I can't play the DLC classes or whatever unless I also have that DLC? Kinda dumb that I can either buy the base game or EVERY dlc put together.
There's only one DLC gated class, Necro.
Also LOL no. Buying Blackwood gets you the chapters: Summerset, Elsewyr, Skyrim, Blackwood.
There's like a dozen other DLC zones, and another dozen dungeon DLCs. Those can only be bought in the crown store (or gotten with the sub).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
On the advice of the OP i have started reading alcasthq's guides and I didn't realize there were ability and spell setups for every class, the idea that sorcerers can use bows is pretty funny.

warden immediately stands out as the coolest option so i might explore that first

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Tbh don't bother with Alcast's copypaste builds unless you're at endgame and want some ideas on how to minmax your builds.

Everything is viable for overworld content so just go with whatever weaponry and such you like. Only thing to note is that you'll want to decide early do you want to go with stamina, magicka or hybrid and pick your character race accordingly. If you make a breton char and decide you wanna do bow/dual wield (stamina) dps after all then it's :confuoot: time.

You can respec your attributes, cp and skills for a small amount of gold but a race change costs a good amount of crowns.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I mostly look at builds for thematic things, like the Selene's set that gives you a ghost bear to go with warden's actual bear

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mostly look at builds for thematic things, like the Selene's set that gives you a ghost bear to go with warden's actual bear

I have no idea what that means but i like summoning animals to beat people up and warden seems to do that so i'm just gonna go warden. i have no idea what the difference between stamina and magicka dps is, i'm assumingi t's one uses weapons and one uses spells more but they seem to both work differently so idk what gameplay differences would look like

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Basically gear is mostly horizontal and revolves around set bonuses, so

quote:

(1 item) Adds 1096 Max Stamina
(2 items) When you deal direct melee damage, you call on a primal spirit that mauls the closest enemy in front of you after 1.3 seconds for 6383Physical Damage. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

As for Stam/Magicka..uh..how to explain it..a lot of Class skill morphs (an upgrade when a skill hits rank v) will give you the option of running off one or the other, with different effects and you pair that with your weapon of choice - staves go off magicka, 2h/1h/bow use stamina - as well as what rank of armour (light for magicka dps/heal, medium for stamina dps, heavy for tank).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Basically gear is mostly horizontal and revolves around set bonuses, so

As for Stam/Magicka..uh..how to explain it..a lot of Class skill morphs (an upgrade when a skill hits rank v) will give you the option of running off one or the other, with different effects and you pair that with your weapon of choice - staves go off magicka, 2h/1h/bow use stamina - as well as what rank of armour (light for magicka dps/heal, medium for stamina dps, heavy for tank).

oh, neat. i can probably just answer these questions by playing the game but i'm not home rn so i'll have to ask here, sorry.

so is it like each class has its own bow/swords/staff abilities (like gw2, i guess) or there's the basic ability set for bow/sword/staff taht everyone has and then abilities on top of it

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thumbtacks posted:

so is it like each class has its own bow/swords/staff abilities (like gw2, i guess) or there's the basic ability set for bow/sword/staff taht everyone has and then abilities on top of it
Every class has its own non weapon abilities. The weapon ability lines, and the guild ability lines, are the same for everyone.

Every ability has a base of power, then after you level it up you can spend a second ability point to morph it. Those morphs often, though not always, have one stam and one mag morph each adding a slightly different focus to the base ability. There are a few morphs that are totally different from the base, but that's the general concept. Everyone can have all the weapon and guild abilities if they want and have the skill points. You can only use the 5/10 that you slot at any given time, though. The weapon abilities can only be used while you weild that weapon type.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I kinda accidentally fell into magicka night blade and it’s really goofy how all my stabbin skills scale off of magic.

Fun though, and gearing for crit chance on nightblade is hilarious because most of my attacks heal and they crit ALL the time so I am bizarrely tanky for a melee caster in light armpit.

E: phoneposting, keeping that typo in :v:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

oh, neat. i can probably just answer these questions by playing the game but i'm not home rn so i'll have to ask here, sorry.

As Anarchy said, you get a base skill that does X, and when you rank it up enough by having something from that trait line equipped when you earn XP, eventually you get to morph that skill into a more advanced version. Typically, this takes the format of Base: Skill costs magicka, does X; Morph 1: Skill costs magicka, does X and Y; Morph 2: Skill costs stamina, does X and Z.

This can be pretty confusing starting out because you think "oh this costs Magicka, so I should raise that stat", when a little while later it can morph into a stamina skill and you should have been levelling that instead. Conversely, sometimes you'll come across a skill that has the options of morphing into Magicka, or More Magicka. As much as it sucks wiki-ing before you play a game, I do recommend taking 10 minutes to look up what your skills morph into, because while it's easy and relatively cheap to respec, you don't get the opportunity until your second "real" zone out of the tutorial zones, and finding out that you basically stuffed yourself early is a pain in the rear end.

In terms of comparison to GW2, you don't get class-specific skills depending on the weapon you use. It's the other way around, where you get class-specific abilities, and you also get a skill line based on the weapon. So the more you use a 2h weapon, the more of the skill line you unlock, but the abilities are generic across all classes. They all still get a morph, but which more you pick for that skill line will align with what that weapon does. E.g. for 2H, once you level it up enough, you get a skill that does bonus Execute damage to targets under 50% HP. When you get to the morph choice, you can pick if you want more execute damage, or if you want the damage to hit nearby targets. Either way, the skill still costs Stamina because it's a melee weapon, it just changes the way that stamina is spent.

Edit: When you start playing, the game will advise "suggested" skills for you, and then yell at you if you choose the wrong morph. What this actually is is a "suggested build" system, and is advising you based on the newbie build the devs have in mind (usually Magicka based). You can interact with that menu, and select from a number of suggested builds, or conversely you can select the option for the suggestions to gently caress off forever and not have to deal with being skill-selection-shamed by a computer game.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 17, 2021

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

I kinda accidentally fell into magicka night blade and it’s really goofy how all my stabbin skills scale off of magic.

Fun though, and gearing for crit chance on nightblade is hilarious because most of my attacks heal and they crit ALL the time so I am bizarrely tanky for a melee caster in light armpit.

E: phoneposting, keeping that typo in :v:

magicka night blade was the first class i stuck with, it has the unique utility of being able to convert mana into "i'm invisible now leave me alone" which is great for zooming around solo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sprinting while using full medium armour and using Bird of Prey makes me feel like the guy in the "welcome to morrowind" gif

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I am convinced that people who try to get others to do ESO PvP are the same people who try to trick someone into eating laxatives instead of chocolate.

Thumbtacks posted:

warden immediately stands out as the coolest option so i might explore that first

The best choice. :smugbert:

Fewd posted:

Tbh don't bother with Alcast's copypaste builds unless you're at endgame and want some ideas on how to minmax your builds.

I find that Allcasts' analyses on armor and skills is very good. But yeah, just read to get a feel for the way they work together and then make your own build.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sprinting while using full medium armour and using Bird of Prey makes me feel like the guy in the "welcome to morrowind" gif

Roll a Bosmer Warden. Max out Speed CP buffs. Use skills like Bird of Prey. It's pretty silly - the running animation can't keep up with your speed and you launch off every staircase like Wyle E Coyote and take damage when you land.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doctor Zero posted:

Roll a Bosmer Warden. Max out Speed CP buffs. Use skills like Bird of Prey. It's pretty silly - the running animation can't keep up with your speed and you launch off every staircase like Wyle E Coyote and take damage when you land.

I do this with a bow/bow dps

It's ridiculously fun, sustain is almost infinite, but also if you ever stop moving in combat you will die.

11/10

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pretty big news on patch 32 on the stream. My words:

- Uncollected skyshards will start showing on map / compass, except I think they said it's just when you get close?
- Like how the active dragon shows on your map, that'll start happening for all incursion things (dolmens, etc, I assume they meant world boss too?)
- Boss drops will pick from what you haven't collected yet from sticker sets! This doesn't change boss drop rules though - so if a boss only drops 3 items, it'll still only give you those 3 until you got all 3.
- Once you have everything that boss can drop, it's back to normal RNG
- Treasure chests, regular mobs, etc will all still be completely random

Basically farming for that certain weapon or whatever is gonna be insanely much easier. Huge news.

Edit: Armory added to the game, save gear sets and skill loadout. Aka, Dressing Room addon. Need a furnishing (but it's free). Also swaps CPs for free, skill points for free, swaps your curses, quickslots. Fancy.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 17, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
This is all really, really good news for us filthy casuals.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

xZAOx posted:

- Uncollected skyshards will start showing on map / compass, except I think they said it's just when you get close?
Yes like other things do currently, they only popup when you get close. If you use addons this means nothing, but good for those that don't.

quote:

Edit: Armory added to the game, save gear sets and skill loadout. Aka, Dressing Room addon. Need a furnishing (but it's free). Also swaps CPs for free, skill points for free, swaps your curses, quickslots. Fancy.
Yeah it's really cool, but only 2 builds for free.
extra slots for crowns (per character), and also a new assistant to do this in the world.

It'd really be best if it had 4 builds for free, or extra slots per account rather than per character.

Also supposedly they're going to make hybrid more viable by changing set bonuses across the board.

The item drop thing from dungeons is really nice and the highlight for me.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

insane anime posted:

Imagine thinking that the current state of PVP in ESO is in a good place. Check out the big brains here.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah it's really cool, but only 2 builds for free.
extra slots for crowns (per character)

It'd really be best if it had 4 builds for free, or extra slots per account rather than per character.
I think I figured out a way to circumvent this. Will test it on PTS on Monday, if it works 2 slots would be enough to do everything with minimal friction, even easier with addons.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
okay i'm loving around with warden now, not sure what weapons i'll end up using. I kind of feel like i'm incentivized to immediately pick a weapon class and stick with it since i have to unlock weapon skills and stuff, that might change when i can swap weapons but idk. for now i'm just sticking with bow since there's immediate synergy with Dive, but i'll experiment a bit later. i'm not sure what armor class to use either, i have a suspicion medium armor will do more damage but heavy will mean i'm not vaporized if i get hit by something so i guess i'll go with medium for now until i start getting murdered by things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thumbtacks posted:

okay i'm loving around with warden now, not sure what weapons i'll end up using. I kind of feel like i'm incentivized to immediately pick a weapon class and stick with it since i have to unlock weapon skills and stuff, that might change when i can swap weapons but idk. for now i'm just sticking with bow since there's immediate synergy with Dive, but i'll experiment a bit later. i'm not sure what armor class to use either, i have a suspicion medium armor will do more damage but heavy will mean i'm not vaporized if i get hit by something so i guess i'll go with medium for now until i start getting murdered by things
You unlock weapon switch at level 15, so that's a good time to add a second weapon. Eventually you can get them all with minimal issues.

For armor, go heavy chest+legs+helm, med boot+glove, light waist+shoulder for now. Heavy is unequivocally better until you start unlocking passives. Med is probably best long term for DPS but doing a few of each to start lets you level them all up as you level up. A lot of people go heavy chest even if the rest is med or light.