Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Gonna be replaying chapter one first but I can either do it on pc or the switch, does anyone know if there's saved data carry-over etc. or are they played independently?

DanielCross posted:

According to this, you can carry over your save, so I assume you might be able to keep all your equipment/items from chapter 1? No one knows for sure yet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
but also note that right now there's no news about console releases (since, presumably, that needs more leadup)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Probably late but the build streamed was entirely new. Right off the bat in character creation there were new options, the save file UI was different, and a LOT of lines were changed. None of this was ever addressed on stream, everyone just acting like it was always like that or ignoring anything different.

It culminated in a mspaint whack a mole guy named "Nubert" showing up as a random NPC (Get it, new???) and everyone continuing to treat him like he had always been there.

:goonsay:

My man

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is the default location of the save file? I think my computer at the time ate itself and I ended up making a new one (my first, in fact!). Don’t have too much from my old system though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I never looked at Steam, but Deltaruin was never put on there? I know the first chapter was free, but I assumed it would have made its way by now.

I went looking because there's been no word on price yet that I could find...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Unlucky7 posted:

What is the default location of the save file? I think my computer at the time ate itself and I ended up making a new one (my first, in fact!). Don’t have too much from my old system though.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\DELTARUNE

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

IUG posted:

So I never looked at Steam, but Deltaruin was never put on there? I know the first chapter was free, but I assumed it would have made its way by now.

I went looking because there's been no word on price yet that I could find...
I'm presuming Toby didn't want to put anything on Steam until the full game was complete and only had to do some storefront stuff for consoles because there'd be no way for them to play otherwise.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a price or is this going to be free again?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

E: wrong thread

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

overmind2000 posted:

Unless it's an extreme Dark World color change it looks like Kris having red eyes is a normal thing and not necessarily the harbinger of bad times to come that some people thought was the case at the end of Chapter 1

Deltarune Theory: Kris is valid

I found it funny that the whole Chara thing was a fakeout and nope, Kris is just really edgy and creepy. They just wanted the entire pie for themselves.

No idea what the deal with the soul throwing thing is, but apparently it's not the first time it happened given the already existing bird cage and the existing blood stain there at the beginning of the game. Apparently the first time their body was hijacked by us though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

I found it funny that the whole Chara thing was a fakeout and nope, Kris is just really edgy and creepy. They just wanted the entire pie for themselves.

No idea what the deal with the soul throwing thing is, but apparently it's not the first time it happened given the already existing bird cage and the existing blood stain there at the beginning of the game. Apparently the first time their body was hijacked by us though?

that's the going theory, and also why pie theory was believable from the start. everything we heard about kris' behavior in new home made them out to be an unpleasant, antisocial little poo poo, but not actually malicious, and they were especially hurting from their parents' divorce and asriel's absence. the townsfolk are mildly weirded out by them suddenly acting all gregarious, because we've hijacked their body

so when they regain said body, of course the first thing they do is scarf down an entire pie in the most slasher-flick way possible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
btw if "undertale" in this world really is some dopey home project of asriel's then that means he wrote kris into the game as both of his best friends and that alone makes the theory too good to pass up

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Araxxor posted:

I think it's happened before and the player did something so bad that nightly visits to the cage became a regular thing. Alternatively, Kris gets something from the player being in control that isn't as useful when the journey's over for the day

What's really interesting is that the first save point you find in the dark world has an entry with Kris's name on it that you erase. Kris's file didn't have any time logged so it's possible that the journey in the dark world was meant for them without the player's control and you're hijacking the narrative

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does sort of seem like conceptually Kris is basically the stand-in for “Chara”/The First Fallen Human in this universe (they have roughly the same clothes and hair after all).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

It does sort of seem like conceptually Kris is basically the stand-in for “Chara”/The First Fallen Human in this universe (they have roughly the same clothes and hair after all).

they’re both - frisk’s color scheme in the dark world, chara’s in the real one

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Larryb posted:

They have Frisk's skin color, sort-of hairstyle, and eyes (as seen in the genocidal pacifist ending) which made it weird when Chapter 1 came out and people thought that Kris was physically Chara. Considering that everyone else has a version of themselves in Deltarune I wonder if we'll see a definite Deltarune Chara

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Chara is Asriel's college roommate, their ages would line up in this timeline

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 17, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

that's the going theory, and also why pie theory was believable from the start. everything we heard about kris' behavior in new home made them out to be an unpleasant, antisocial little poo poo, but not actually malicious, and they were especially hurting from their parents' divorce and asriel's absence. the townsfolk are mildly weirded out by them suddenly acting all gregarious, because we've hijacked their body

so when they regain said body, of course the first thing they do is scarf down an entire pie in the most slasher-flick way possible

There's also the fact that if we're going with the whole "anytime the PC does something that isn't controlled by us in a cutscene, it's not us in control" aspect in Deltarune like in Undertale (Frisk comforting Asriel, Chara going "get on with it!" constantly in the bad time route), Kris isn't really malicious given that they defended Susie from the King, and gets pretty pissed off when Susie gets bad mouthed by others after their Dark World journey is done for day 1. And also the fact that like with Susie, the Dark World journey really made an impression on them and they really don't want to throw all that away, if you demand that the ball of junk be tossed away heartlessly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Chara thing being a fakeout means that Kris and Susie have a lot more in common now!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

btw if "undertale" in this world really is some dopey home project of asriel's then that means he wrote kris into the game as both of his best friends and that alone makes the theory too good to pass up

That theory would also hold interesting implications in that the rest of the Dreemurr family doesn't hold a high fondness for Asgore given his role in Undertale isn't particularly flattering, especially in comparison to Toriel. Given that Kris is a lot more willing to toss the bouquet away given by him if you tell them to.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Araxxor posted:

That theory would also hold interesting implications in that the rest of the Dreemurr family doesn't hold a high fondness for Asgore given his role in Undertale isn't particularly flattering, especially in comparison to Toriel. Given that Kris is a lot more willing to toss the bouquet away given by him if you tell them to.

Asriel made Undertale as a way to tell the world his father is actually a prolific child murderer, someone please send help.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

What stood out to me is in the save file ui has you no longer saving over Kris' file?

I hope not, that was a really interesting detail.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

nine-gear crow posted:

Asriel made Undertale as a way to tell the world his father is actually a prolific child murderer, someone please send help.

The goat dad must die.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tfw deltarune

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

There's also the fact that if we're going with the whole "anytime the PC does something that isn't controlled by us in a cutscene, it's not us in control" aspect in Deltarune like in Undertale (Frisk comforting Asriel, Chara going "get on with it!" constantly in the bad time route), Kris isn't really malicious given that they defended Susie from the King, and gets pretty pissed off when Susie gets bad mouthed by others after their Dark World journey is done for day 1. And also the fact that like with Susie, the Dark World journey really made an impression on them and they really don't want to throw all that away, if you demand that the ball of junk be tossed away heartlessly.

kris in general seems really well-disposed towards susie but totally neutral towards ralsei, which kind of feels deliberate considering how ralsei is practically laboratory calibrated to make undertale fans gaga for him

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like the idea that perhaps we, the player, are unknowingly hijacking Kris's consciousness and much of the weird, forced railroading and especially the ending with him throwing the heart in the cage is Kris instinctively trying to resist our influence. If we follow from the ideas in Undertale as to who Chara/the fallen human/we actually are in the Genocide route it makes sense to me.

It could be that the mere act of playing the game to its conclusion, whatever that is, ends up casting the player as the prime antagonizing force in this world, kind of like an even more hopeless version of Genocide route.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

While interesting, I hope that's not the conclusion. Or at least, I sure how there'd be some twist that would lead to something less cynical?

Plus...it'd kind of be retreading the message of UT Genocide?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The difference between following your heart and being heartless.

Maybe we see Kris act more like Susie spontaneously and outside player control.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also the question whether we hijacked the body and completely robbed Kris of any agency during the entire dark world journey (and some segments outside of that), or if they're just sitting back and letting us pilot their body for that period of time for whatever reason.

The extent of our involvement is pretty unknown at the moment, aside from the fact that the game makes it clear Kris is their own character early on, compared to Frisk not entirely being a player avatar (or first child taking control) a twist at the last minute of the respective routes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ralsei manages to break our link with kris completely at one point in chapter 1 as well, the whole thing's screwy

we don't even know if it was intentional on his part

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's because ralsei is gaster

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Presumably Kris put the heart back in after he got the pie? I mean, the cage is called out as inescapable. That might be a point towards Kris doesn't mind the control that much?

He just really needed that pie.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

ralsei manages to break our link with kris completely at one point in chapter 1 as well, the whole thing's screwy

we don't even know if it was intentional on his part

And we're basically watching Susie move around, and she's in control the entire time aside from the dodging segments due to her berserker AI. We don't really move her around (beyond advancing text, but I think citing that part of a video game as us being in control is a bridge too far.)

Bobulus posted:

Presumably Kris put the heart back in after he got the pie? I mean, the cage is called out as inescapable. That might be a point towards Kris doesn't mind the control that much?

He just really needed that pie.

The other mystery is really "why and how are we involved now and at this point in time?" From the townspeople's reactions to Kris after the Dark World journey, us being in control was not a regular occurring thing and this might be the first time Kris got controlled to be not a creepy little gremlin.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Here's my partially completed Deltarune Chapter 2 prediction checklist. Pick as many as you want and declare yourself the ultimate theorymaster if you manage to get to 1000 points after finishing the game

- Someone from the town other than Kris, Susie, and Noelle shows up in or knows about the Dark World (100 points)
- Kris learns how to do magic (100 points)
- Kris, Ralsei, or Lancer eats chalk (100 points)
- The player finds a Gaster reference/message with or without wingdings (100 points)
- A new part of town becomes explorable (100 points)
- Kris gets a text box with their own text sprite and dialogue (100 points)
- The player's soul and Kris become separated in the Dark World (100 points)
- The player gets Susie's cell phone number (100 points)
- Ralsei swears at least once (500 points)
- Phone call from Asriel (500 points)
- Deltarune Chara who's completely separate from Kris shows up or is mentioned in any way (1000 points)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Araxxor posted:

The other mystery is really "why and how are we involved now and at this point in time?" From the townspeople's reactions to Kris after the Dark World journey, us being in control was not a regular occurring thing and this might be the first time Kris got controlled to be not a creepy little gremlin.
From the very little teaser of chapter 2, it appears that Kris and Asriel normally IM each other online long into the night and it's only recently the internet has been down in Hometown.
...Consequences of some kind of experimental survey program, maybe?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

Here's my partially completed Deltarune Chapter 2 prediction checklist. Pick as many as you want and declare yourself the ultimate theorymaster if you manage to get to 1000 points after finishing the game

- Someone from the town other than Kris, Susie, and Noelle shows up in or knows about the Dark World (100 points)
- Kris learns how to do magic (100 points)
- Kris, Ralsei, or Lancer eats chalk (100 points)
- The player finds a Gaster reference/message with or without wingdings (100 points)
- A new part of town becomes explorable (100 points)
- Kris gets a text box with their own text sprite and dialogue (100 points)
- The player's soul and Kris become separated in the Dark World (100 points)
- The player gets Susie's cell phone number (100 points)
- Ralsei swears at least once (500 points)
- Phone call from Asriel (500 points)
- Deltarune Chara who's completely separate from Kris shows up or is mentioned in any way (1000 points)

Chapter 1 ended on a playable Noelle tease, Chapter 2's gonna end on a playable Berdly tease. He's the next-most prominent class character besides her, and the only one of the lot besides Susie, Noelle, and Catti to be an original design rather than a reuse of an Undertale backgrounder.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Chapter 1 ended on a playable Noelle tease, Chapter 2's gonna end on a playable Berdly tease. He's the next-most prominent class character besides her, and the only one of the lot besides Susie, Noelle, and Catti to be an original design rather than a reuse of an Undertale backgrounder.
wrongo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wrong lovely bird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Was Jockington in Undertale? I didn't remember that.

Anyway, according to this Krismas song which is 100% canon, Berdly is gonna move away from town and give his screentime to everyone's new favorite character.

Gone away is the blue bird.
Here to stay is a Nubert.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Was Jockington in Undertale? I didn't remember that.

Anyway, according to this Krismas song which is 100% canon, Berdly is gonna move away from town and give his screentime to everyone's new favorite character.

Gone away is the blue bird.
Here to stay is a Nubert.

Jockington fills the same gray area that Catti does where he's I think based off an Undertale background character, but not quite. The big thing that sets Berdly apart from the other characters in the class and really telegraphs that he's playable character material is the fact that he has a unique voice font. Everyone in Alphys's class uses the regular text sound for their dialog except for Susie, Noelle, and Berdly :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think you get a chance to save after fighting the King, and definitely not in the real world, so how will the transfer work? Is the game just going to politely ignore all the stuff from the ch. 1 epilogue?