Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

It's basically one of the easiest ways to burn down a restaraunt, and the fire marshall will be unable to tell that an accelerant was used.

I imagine the difficult bit is dropping the baskets in without immolating yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The deep fryer is full of oil at maybe 175 degrees Celsius.

Water boils at 100 degrees, obviously. When water turns to steam, it expands to roughly 1700 times its volume.

When the ice cubes go into the deep fryer, they will instantly flash into vapor and create an enormous steam explosion, which will throw boiling oil all over everywhere, potentially lighting it on fire if there are ignition sources nearby like say a hot hamburger grill.

doesnt only burger king use a exposed flame / grill? while everyone else just uses some sort of flat top griddle?

Is the is the normal operating temp of a griddle enough to flash ignite droplet sof oil?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

sigher posted:

Forgive the idiocy, but I assume this is just a huge loving explosion waiting to happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yC8-T7UWc

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Griddles have airflow vents, most notably a big vent at the back. If oil got down that, you would have a fire.

Flattops rule. Grated gas grills are fine for lots of stuff, but working on a flattop is probably my favorite kitchen job.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

mostlygray posted:

My dad's Ford 5600 won't start below 50 degrees without ether. It's a fussy thing. It's got a 4 cylinder diesel. I think the tractor's about '76 maybe? It's totally fine in the summer, but it has to have ether to start come fall. The pain is that, if you get a full cylinder of ether, you could strip the oil and it could seize so you spray it next to the intake and let it pull in as much as it wants.

I have a Ford 5600 story. My dad got out of farming in the early nineties. Years later he walks into the town Tim Hortons one day and one of the guys there says to him “You know that Ford tractor I bought at your farm auction? She burnt up on me yesterday”.

So of course we had to go see it. Front tires, gauges, wiring harness, injector pump and front sheet metal were all burnt. (Yes we bought it).

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Boba Pearl posted:

It's basically one of the easiest ways to burn down a restaraunt, and the fire marshall will be unable to tell that an accelerant was used.

always use an accelerant while burning down a restaurant

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boba Pearl posted:

This post sounds like you're speaking from experience

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You'd probably get some gnarly steam burns before you could get away, but the oil ejecting isn't going to ignite anything until it hits an open flame. That's why these demonstration videos are done with a boiling pot of oil over a flame, not a commercial deep-fryer (and I guess because the most common way this starts fires is when someone forgets to thaw a whole turkey before deep-frying it in a pot in their home). Modern deep-fryers have well-shielded boiling elements. Of course, if your goal was to burn a place down you'd probably have a grill or elements next to the fryer anyway, that you'd probably turn on. Then it's just about how the kitchen is laid out that means you either get out with some steam burns or not at all.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Griddles have airflow vents, most notably a big vent at the back. If oil got down that, you would have a fire.

EDIT: Oh drat, I forgot about the vents at the back. You're right, that'd go up rather quickly.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RatHat posted:

This post sounds like you're speaking from experience

That's the only way to recoup your losses on owning a restaurant, really

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

My great grandmother always used to break my dad's balls about not taking envelopes. He had a new inspector under him at one point who was offered a bribe, told him about it and he got aggravated because the disclosure made it something that happened so now there were forms to fill out.

My father wasn't frequently offered bribes but his standard response was to not see it. No one ever attempted to murder him.

He did get pulled over once in Long Island for riding too close to a firetruck and the fire marshall was too stupid to notice the fed plates, realized who he pulled over after dad couldn't produce a registration. Dude got fined for having people hanging onto the side of the truck and lost his position after dad explained to his boss why he was late. She was livid.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Look the easiest way to make half a million dollars is to have 1 million and open a restaurant. In 5 years why, you might even have your own title!

(1 bankruptcy.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The only reason to open a restaurant is to launder money and even then there might be cheaper ways to do it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PhazonLink posted:

doesnt only burger king use a exposed flame / grill? while everyone else just uses some sort of flat top griddle?

Is this is why BKs burgers taste like rear end

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is this is why BKs burgers taste like rear end

Nah, it's because throwing their burgers in a microwave is normal part of their cooking process. Most only have a tiny 8"x8" "grill", purely to put grill marks on the meat. The bulk of the cooking is still done on a flat-top griddle, and then they toss it in a microwave to give it some nuke heat.

And that's the best case. A lot of their restaurants use those conveyor belt pizza oven things now. So you're getting fake grilled baked burgers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You do not want to be this dummy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F12LAqs7GjE

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Renzyal posted:

The valves are also the same color so hopefully they followed the left/right convention for hot/cold.

Another issue is that there's no one-way valve, as far as I can tell, and your cold water will usually have a lot more pressure than your hot water... enjoy having luke warm water in the entire house. :v:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah, it's because throwing their burgers in a microwave is normal part of their cooking process. Most only have a tiny 8"x8" "grill", purely to put grill marks on the meat. The bulk of the cooking is still done on a flat-top griddle, and then they toss it in a microwave to give it some nuke heat.

And that's the best case. A lot of their restaurants use those conveyor belt pizza oven things now. So you're getting fake grilled baked burgers.

Odd. Over here they go into a conveyor belt thing, but they do have flames under the conveyor belt. Which makes them taste like the oil that drips from them, which ignites and smokes badly, and then proceeds to burn the burger.
They taste as revolting as the smell that comes out of the exhauster fan. One BK over here actually got shut down because they built their exhaust too close to the street, blowing their burger smoke into the shops around it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LimaBiker posted:

Odd. Over here they go into a conveyor belt thing, but they do have flames under the conveyor belt. Which makes them taste like the oil that drips from them, which ignites and smokes badly, and then proceeds to burn the burger.
They taste as revolting as the smell that comes out of the exhauster fan. One BK over here actually got shut down because they built their exhaust too close to the street, blowing their burger smoke into the shops around it.

Yeah, BK in the US has always been about "flame grilled" which is the chain driven grilling surface over an open NG flame. I mean their patties taste like crap to begin with, but if the chain drive is turned too low you end up with little carbon pucks of awfulness. In fact for a while their advertising specifically called out that they don't use flat griddles for their burgers.

It can be done well, because that's how Portillo's grills its burgers and they taste light-years better. That may come down to the freshness and prep done with the patties more than grilling method.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Missed an opportunity to fill it with balloons of red food colouring.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqXcHeUg5s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AkHtHGn.mp4

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That motorcycle coming into frame is such a tease in this thread

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's also not very effective, innit

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi I do mri. The FDA is full of cowards and says I can't expose patients to noises over 90dB or whatever so I have to give them earplugs. Many people have tiny ear holes and I cannot for the life of me get the loving things in. Please help.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Uhhh earmuffs??

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
are you certain you're using the correct kind of plugs for this orifice?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi I do mri. The FDA is full of cowards and says I can't expose patients to noises over 90dB or whatever so I have to give them earplugs. Many people have tiny ear holes and I cannot for the life of me get the loving things in. Please help.

Are you the one actually putting them in? I can't imagine trying to put an earplug in someone else's ear

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I recommend just using a hot glue gun to fill their ear canals completely

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A quick puff of compressed air can stun the eardrum, just don’t use too much.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yes I put them in it is miserable. My favorite is when I get patients from the air force base and I'm like alright these are plane janitors they know how to do ear plugs so I just hand em to them and they put it in just barely enough so they don't fall out of their ears. People cry and moan I put them in too far and I'm just like yeah they are supposed to go in real far whatever you wanna pull em out so it's just the tip that's on you buddy enjoy getting pounded in the ear drum with 115dB for 45 minutes and don't complain to me about it being loud.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least you're not pumping in generic elevator music.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The only issue I see with that shower on the last page is no mixing valve so just make sure nobody flushes the toilet while you're in there.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

First time I saw that I legit thought they fast forwarded the footage.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

There's no way to tell if that outlet is GFCI protected or not from looking at it. One GFCI outlet protects everything downstream.

In that case code requires all the protected outlets to have stickers on the wallplate that say "GFCI Protected"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

shame on an IGA posted:

In that case code requires all the protected outlets to have stickers on the wallplate that say "GFCI Protected"

Maybe but I guarantee you that the moment the inspector leaves the homeowner or builder removes them because I have never, ever seen such a sticker.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/OBYr5rZ.mp4

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
PPE for your PEEPEE

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Obviously designed by people with paddling fetishes.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The first helicopter ever built in Kazakhstan was not a complete failure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

those are some sexy rear end trailer rims I wonder what they came from originally