Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Squibsy posted:

You could pretty easily re-skin the old Bretonnian Questing Knight warrior pack, which is quite similar in concept already. Going a step further you could make a couple of tweaks to the rules, maybe reduce the value of his armour by one point and increase the damage of his sword, or give him a once-per-adventure ability that makes him automatically do max damage on a deathblow (due to cleaving through something with his zweihander.)

The knightly quest stuff would need some more thought on how to make it fit though.

this is a good idea. i'll see how making some minor tweaks works. i was worried about unbalancing the game but in retrospect my first party died on the second passageway to a cave in and my second party wiped in the fighting pit like immediately to 3 minotaurs so maybe i'm overestimating how balanced it actually is.

looks like a good chunk of this may work, i can probably just make my greatsword adjustments to the basic mechanics.

i own like everything for shadows of brimstone and i can't believe i bought all that poo poo before buying a copy of this game. it's so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
WHQ is totally unbalanced, and even if one character gets a bit overtuned, it won't be as broken as the Wardancer. And you can just start putting more beefy monsters in the way.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 14, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eediot Jedi posted:

Unfortunately, you can't move or dash and then charge.

Well, that did look a little OP. It'll still let you kick someone off an objective and then press the button yourself.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've got a few 3k points games of E:A in with my Biel-Tan list. I've been fielding a Phantom, it seems nearly invulnerable. Have I just gotten very lucky so far, or is it just really that good? Last game it pulverised a Gargant in CC, and took out a pair of formations in a brutal clipping assault. The thing almost feels unfair.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

I've got a few 3k points games of E:A in with my Biel-Tan list. I've been fielding a Phantom, it seems nearly invulnerable. Have I just gotten very lucky so far, or is it just really that good? Last game it pulverised a Gargant in CC, and took out a pair of formations in a brutal clipping assault. The thing almost feels unfair.

eldar.txt

I think the issue is that Orks are severely overcosted for what you get, which I've been saying for literally years, but everyone on TacComms is like "No, they're fine" when they haven't really been adjusted in any meaningful way since the game launch. For 100 points more, the Phantom has better weapons. a better chance of hitting with those weapons, and the CC weapon gets 6 AP4/AT4 vs 1 AP5/AT5 FF and twice as many attacks in BC, never mind the built in AA and extra shooting. I mean, the Reaver is the same cost as the Gargant and is arguably a better unit, in part because you don't suffer at the whims of bad dice rolls for power fields or shooting.

Granted, Eldar break whatever game they're in, but War Horde Orks in Epic are in a tough spot.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah I'd be tempted to knock even just 50pts off the Gargant. The cost of Stompas is also quite high, but I get that it accounts for the Supa being fairly cheap. Still I'd love to see a real stompa mob be possible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

Yeah I'd be tempted to knock even just 50pts off the Gargant. The cost of Stompas is also quite high, but I get that it accounts for the Supa being fairly cheap. Still I'd love to see a real stompa mob be possible.

Oh yeah, Stompas are really badly priced. A unit of three is basically useless - the suppression mechanic makes those tiny Ork units absolutely worthless. You need a unit of nine to really do anything worthwhile, and by then, you're tying up a lot of points into one Leman Russ equivalent unit but you're not going to get the same results as the LRs.

Orks are in a weird sport where they need tons of activations to be competitive, but also need large units in order to be able to make it across the table to be able to lay down any reasonable volume of fire. You can't really have both, and I think Orks really suffer for that. You can do things like have a bunch of flyers for cheap activations, but it's a gimmick that pisses your opponents off. It's just annoying as an Ork player to question valuations or list comp (or why Death Koptas still don't have Scout) and be told poo poo like "We don't aim to reflect the current 40K meta in our lists," and yet see every flavor of Space Marine/Ad Mech/whatever the gently caress list out there.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah I would agree, you really need to play the orks exceptionally well to stay competitive. My usual opponent is quite a bit better than me, when he plays orks we are usually 50/50 on who wins. When he plays marines he mops the floor with me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GW's GenCon announcements are out, and it's looking totally sweet for Kill Team.

A box with T'au Pathfinders and Soroitas innitiates, plus terrain.
https://www.warhammer-community.com...team-expansion/

A big boxed expansion with Assault Intercessors and Necrons, plus terrain for an underground tomb.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/21/sunday-preview-purge-necron-tomb-complexes-with-kill-teams-latest-expansion/

And a couple of boxes of terrain.

Some Necromunda models, but nothing on this scale.

e.

And a starter set with Krieg & Kommandos + terrain for those who missed the original box, and the Kommandos and Krieg models separately,

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/16/gen-con-this-new-kill-team-box-is-the-perfect-way-to-get-started/

I think they're serious about Kill Team.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 16, 2021

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mllaneza posted:

A big boxed expansion with Assault Intercessors and Necrons, plus terrain for an underground tomb.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/21/sunday-preview-purge-necron-tomb-complexes-with-kill-teams-latest-expansion/

This is the last release for the old Kill Team system, it's not new

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

lol if they put Pariah Nexus out again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

berzerkmonkey posted:

lol if they put Pariah Nexus out again.

Nah he linked an old article from February.

To be fair you could build two complete fire teams from what’s in the Pariah Nexus box, no idea if it’s a good deal though.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I was so hyped for Pariah Nexus 2: For Real this Time.

But, I like the new SoB unit; a middle ground between the standard Sister & the Repentia. The T'au unit seems weird, considering it's just an upgrade sprue to the regular Pathfinder unit. I guess you can compare them to the Krieg team, where most of them have the same weapon, a medic & sniper, etc. Maybe it's just the lack of distinguishing features, but the T'au team just seems kinda boring to me. I didn't expect each team to be all new units we've never seen before and each model has a distinct personality , but... they're just Pathfinders with new heads.

This Starter Edition box really rubs me the wrong way, or rather, this just keeps complicating how I feel about new KT. It's a pared-down Octarius Box, basically removing the Ork Fort part of the terrain, and swapping the Octarius mission book for a beginner tutorial book; but it also mentions "compact version of the game’s full Core Book,' so would that be compact in size, or are they trimming the rule book down as well? I feel like a sensible company would've just launched this box to begin with, and have it be available to buy for the past month, instead of this weird FOMO limited edition model GW pushes. I can't expect the amount of money they made from people pressured into buying the Octarius Box is dramatically more than if this box had been available, minus the costs of having to produce multiple SKU's/booklets/whatever for essentially the same product.

Maybe this is overthinking things, I'm just looking forward to picking up the Sisters in a few months when they release them in a separate box.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2021

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Physically smaller book, easier to carry around/store, from the looks of it.

To be honest, my thoughts were that this was an opportunity to update neglected kits - so I'm expecting more like the Pathfinder/Kommando teams in the future - either upgrade sprues or new kits to replace Finecast sets - than brand new squads like Krieg Vets/Sisters Novitates.

The terrain looks like they've thrown a set of "Sector Imperialis Ruins" (£25) and something else together. The two big buildings and the centre bit look slightly different to what's available in the store. It could well be the "Battlezone: Manufactorum – Sub-cloister and Storage Fane" (£35) if it's more versatile than it looks like on the online store.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Oops, sorry. Got a little carried away.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair you could build two complete fire teams from what’s in the Pariah Nexus box, no idea if it’s a good deal though.

You'd want some extra crons for a full KT but if you see a pariah nexius box in the wild it might actually be worthwhile. I actually bought one recently because it was real cheap at a flgs and the terrain reminded me of the Mechanicus video game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

LashLightning posted:

Physically smaller book, easier to carry around/store, from the looks of it.

I hope so, and its not like the godawful Hive War Rulebook which only had "kill each other with no consequences" rules.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Desfore posted:

But, I like the new SoB unit; a middle ground between the standard Sister & the Repentia. The T'au unit seems weird, considering it's just an upgrade sprue to the regular Pathfinder unit. I guess you can compare them to the Krieg team, where most of them have the same weapon, a medic & sniper, etc. Maybe it's just the lack of distinguishing features, but the T'au team just seems kinda boring to me. I didn't expect each team to be all new units we've never seen before and each model has a distinct personality , but... they're just Pathfinders with new heads.

This Starter Edition box really rubs me the wrong way, or rather, this just keeps complicating how I feel about new KT. It's a pared-down Octarius Box, basically removing the Ork Fort part of the terrain, and swapping the Octarius mission book for a beginner tutorial book; but it also mentions "compact version of the game’s full Core Book,' so would that be compact in size, or are they trimming the rule book down as well? I feel like a sensible company would've just launched this box to begin with, and have it be available to buy for the past month, instead of this weird FOMO limited edition model GW pushes. I can't expect the amount of money they made from people pressured into buying the Octarius Box is dramatically more than if this box had been available, minus the costs of having to produce multiple SKU's/booklets/whatever for essentially the same product.

Maybe this is overthinking things, I'm just looking forward to picking up the Sisters in a few months when they release them in a separate box.

FWIW it seems like they're doing something similar to Indomitus/the 9th edition starters. It does seem needlessly confusing though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Desfore posted:

The thing I hate is they don't publish the starter box contents before the limited edition box is gone. Yep it makes sense for capitalism and maximum buy now hype but gently caress I'd like to make an informed purchasing decision for once.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

You'd want some extra crons for a full KT but if you see a pariah nexius box in the wild it might actually be worthwhile. I actually bought one recently because it was real cheap at a flgs and the terrain reminded me of the Mechanicus video game.

Yeah, the terrain looks like it’s straight out of the Mechanicus game (which is an awesome game btw).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've been doing much better with my skaven. Having a Necromantic horror team chainsaw through half my team in the first half was scary, but I managed to tie with two points in the second by getting over my pointless fear of turnovers with aggressive gutter-runnerage.

Im getting better at painting them too, which is nice. I really hope they announce a new team/start putting in the classic teams. I'd take AoS teams even, gently caress it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That Sister KT doesn't seem to map to any preexisting SOB unit. Which is interesting because it confirms that KT is moving away from just using preexisting Big Game models (like Warcry) and using bespoke models made just for KT (like Underworlds).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

That Sister KT doesn't seem to map to any preexisting SOB unit. Which is interesting because it confirms that KT is moving away from just using preexisting Big Game models (like Warcry) and using bespoke models made just for KT (like Underworlds).

they already confirmed that the Sisters team is a new unit for Sisters

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Are we not gonna talk about Harrowdeep? Because I wanna talk about Harrowdeep.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/16/gen-con-a-shadowy-new-season-of-warhammer-underworlds-revealed/

WHU has been (in the Before Times,) a favorite game of mine. The game was fun, fast, and scratched my itch to play a minis game, a board game, and a card game all at once. The $40 or so per warband felt a bit pricey to me, but I was playing a lot, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Then the pandemic laid bare all the issues with the system.

Limited stock and trouble getting some warbands didn't just mean you were SOL for that band, but all the universal cards they came with. I know twice during the plague I was first in line at my LGS when they opened they day they were released I picked up either 1 of the 2 only copies they got, or 1 of 1. While *I* lucked out, the player we knew who was five minutes late was SOL, with no promise of a reprint anytime soon. That SUCKED.

Combine it with things like phasing out earlier season's universal cards, but not their warbands, but ALSO never reprinting Warbands with their specific cards, and it leads to a ravenous secondary market, and tells me that you MUST pre-order everything for this game, or be left in the dust forever. That irks me. I find it hard to genuinely sell people on this game, knowing full well there are some warbands they might face, but will likely never have a chance to own. They can still get the models, sure, and if you're a bit clever you can get the card images and print them out, but the fact is new players are left at a disadvantage, and that really hurts. Hopefully the new Rivals format can make it more accessible.

In conclusion, I have never had to fight to like a game as much as this one.

I'm still buying it, though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Feeple posted:

Are we not gonna talk about Harrowdeep? Because I wanna talk about Harrowdeep.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/16/gen-con-a-shadowy-new-season-of-warhammer-underworlds-revealed/

WHU has been (in the Before Times,) a favorite game of mine. The game was fun, fast, and scratched my itch to play a minis game, a board game, and a card game all at once. The $40 or so per warband felt a bit pricey to me, but I was playing a lot, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Then the pandemic laid bare all the issues with the system.

Limited stock and trouble getting some warbands didn't just mean you were SOL for that band, but all the universal cards they came with. I know twice during the plague I was first in line at my LGS when they opened they day they were released I picked up either 1 of the 2 only copies they got, or 1 of 1. While *I* lucked out, the player we knew who was five minutes late was SOL, with no promise of a reprint anytime soon. That SUCKED.

Combine it with things like phasing out earlier season's universal cards, but not their warbands, but ALSO never reprinting Warbands with their specific cards, and it leads to a ravenous secondary market, and tells me that you MUST pre-order everything for this game, or be left in the dust forever. That irks me. I find it hard to genuinely sell people on this game, knowing full well there are some warbands they might face, but will likely never have a chance to own. They can still get the models, sure, and if you're a bit clever you can get the card images and print them out, but the fact is new players are left at a disadvantage, and that really hurts. Hopefully the new Rivals format can make it more accessible.

In conclusion, I have never had to fight to like a game as much as this one.

I'm still buying it, though.

It looks good, the thing I'm least interested in are the warbands, boo stormcast.

I hope we get another Skaven one this season. Just a stormfiend with two ratling gunners would go a long rear end way.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Dear Games Workshop,

I have been very good this year.
Please re-release Battlefleet Gothic.
Thanks and regards,

Mode 7

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mode 7 posted:

Dear Games Workshop,

Thanks and regards,

Mode 7

imagine if it used that shape tool again. you can only maneuver & directions and fire @@ weapons while moving VV

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Dear Games Workshop,

Thanks and regards,

Mode 7

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

imagine if it used that shape tool again. you can only maneuver & directions and fire @@ weapons while moving VV

Armada's that way >>…

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I know - I was just laughing at the thought of GW putting it out again. It just seems like a very GW thing to do.

Feeple posted:

WHU stuff.
Yeah, the pandemic killed any WHU enthusiasm I had for the game. It's unfortunate, because I really liked the game, though I didn't like the CCG model, the $35 "gift sets" with exclusive (yet very powerful) cards that you pretty much had to buy to remain competitive, or the rotation of the warbands ("Your old warbands are perfectly playable in later seasons! Except not really!") Not being able to play the game for well over a year pretty much means that an entire year of purchases is going down the drain without ever having seen the table. I really, really wish GW would publish an end season card set to bring rotated warbands up to date. Either that or just get off the CCG train and put out a warband and their deck, period. Don't force me to buy a warband I don't like or want just so I can get a half dozen universal cards to add to my deck.

The models are cool, and I'll probably pick up a set here or there to add to Warcry, but I think I'm done with WHU in any competitive sense. I'll probably get in a game once in a while with my buddy, but it will be older seasons and decks.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

One of the things I really like about the new season of WHU is the "rivals" format:

quote:

The upcoming season also introduces a new play style that lets you join in the fun straight out of the box. The new Rivals format makes Warhammer Underworlds more accessible than ever by using pre-made decks – you’ll be able to pick up a warband and jump straight in, safe in the knowledge that your deck is just as good as your opponents.

This should have been done with Direchasm... but hey, better late than never.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Oh, didn't see that. I do like that they're moving in that direction, but the fact that there are still universal cards that you're not going to be able to get unless you buy specific Warbands is a bummer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Just using printed cards seems to fix the worst issues of underworlds.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Just using printed cards seems to fix the worst issues of underworlds.

It does, but it's still kind of a pain. It's not insurmountable or anything, but honestly, I'm not going through the effort at this point since I'm just not that excited about WHU anymore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That all sounds a lot like the reasons I abandoned (first edition) X-Wing. People were buying crappy ships you didn't want, just to get a really good card they came with. The answer was - at least at any reasonably friendly table - using proxy cards. Most people seemed to recognize that as a fine thing to do, and I never played in any kind of "organized play" situation. I still wound up bailing on the game, it just wasn't really for me, and now there's a 2nd edition and I can spend a bunch of cash on conversion kits (per-faction), just to keep using the ships I already invested in... naahh.

At least with X-Wing, the ships with the cards you wanted didn't all go out of stock instantly, you could actually buy them whenever you wanted.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I bought 5 copies of the objectively terrible Khirakz fighter because I needed 5 copies of Crack Shot for my TIE Fighter swarm tournament list. At the time this seemed like a totally normal and reasonable thing to do.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
X-Wing wasn't that expensive though. I bought new planes every week.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

At least with X-Wing, the ships with the cards you wanted didn't all go out of stock instantly, you could actually buy them whenever you wanted.

LOLWUT? XW was the poster child for 'well, we are never getting that back in stock now...'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

LOLWUT? XW was the poster child for 'well, we are never getting that back in stock now...'

They were all always available at least online, like on Amazon or something (not used/reseller, I mean new stock) or would come back in stock in a month, if my local game store didn't have them. Although I only bought like... seven or eight extra ships, so maybe I missed a shortage at some point? In any case it was never the Games Workshop style "one run of this highly desirable product, and never any more, ever again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Leperflesh posted:

That all sounds a lot like the reasons I abandoned (first edition) X-Wing. People were buying crappy ships you didn't want, just to get a really good card they came with. The answer was - at least at any reasonably friendly table - using proxy cards. Most people seemed to recognize that as a fine thing to do, and I never played in any kind of "organized play" situation. I still wound up bailing on the game, it just wasn't really for me, and now there's a 2nd edition and I can spend a bunch of cash on conversion kits (per-faction), just to keep using the ships I already invested in... naahh.

I don care about proxies, but it doesn't solve the problem - People want to be able to purchase the band they thinks look cool and play that out of the box. The best solution we came up with locally is that you can any core set cards + cards that came with your warband. That's it.