Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

smoobles posted:

Is this the actual FDA vote on boosters? I keep hearing them use the term "voting members"
I loving hope so. Approve this poo poo already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

that reminds me of last year talking to a chud and she said “I had covid it was fine. it’s overblown . I did go to the hospital for two weeks for pneumonia tho and that was hard I thought I was going to die”

I had pneumonia one time in my life. I was weak as poo poo, coughed all the time and in the later stage when I’d cough my entire mouth would fill with lung fluid. It was loving terrible.

Imagine having double lung Covid pneumonia and being lucky enough to survive and just shrugging your stupid shoulders and saying “yeah that poo poo is overrated, meh”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Glumwheels posted:

People travelled to poor counties and areas because the people living there largely didn’t want the vaccine

yeah it probably had nothing to do with people being busy at work

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I guarantee all the old fucks in this FDA booster debate already got their third doses.

mystes
May 31, 2006

smoobles posted:

I guarantee all the old fucks in this FDA booster debate already got their third doses.
They're probably so dedicated to official government recommendations on public health that they don't even wear N95 masks.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

mystes posted:

I loving hope so. Approve this poo poo already.

If they approve it they will create an insane tier system designed to confuse people and lock them out. Even with approved boosters I’m gonna booster bandit two shots of Moderna aligned to my kid’s shots as soon as they approve them for <10. So 2022 or so. The only reason this makes sense for me is that I can mostly bunker down, but everyone who can’t should still be ignoring this bullshit booster policy and get another jab any way they can.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Yesterday, I just had a happy small victory. After weeks of badgering my dad, we finally got his third shot! At first he was worried about being caught for lying, he was kinda in shock at how easy the entire thing took.

Now I just have to hope that I'll be able to get my mom to do the same

mystes
May 31, 2006

Loucks posted:

If they approve it they will create an insane tier system designed to confuse people and lock them out. Even with approved boosters I’m gonna booster bandit two shots of Moderna aligned to my kid’s shots as soon as they approve them for <10. So 2022 or so. The only reason this makes sense for me is that I can mostly bunker down, but everyone who can’t should still be ignoring this bullshit booster policy and get another jab any way they can.
Does the FDA determine how to roll it out?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

There was also the goon who drove 7 hours from one end of Texas to the other to get a shot in a gas station city where none of the locals wanted it

Yeah lol that was me

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My manager keeps pulling his mask out to talk to people.

GAAAAHHHHH!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Acelerion posted:

Yeah lol that was me

you're the kind of guy that'd stay married to a las vegas drive-thru wedding person and I appreciate that. You're a dedicated soul.

why the hell does it take 7 loving hours for the FDA to go "yeah" or "nah"

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

smoobles posted:

Is this the actual FDA vote on boosters? I keep hearing them use the term "voting members"

To my understanding that's a part of this discussion. Or we should have a pretty good idea of which way they're going to go.

/edit oh yep, they had the question there to vote for approval. Assuming they follow similar review cycle as CDER, they'd probably send out an official approval from the agency shortly

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 17, 2021

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I figured out the cvs speedrun and posted info here for others, though Im sure other goons did as well. I've unironically done more to get people vaccinated than MadJackal!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

idk if you know this but the Biden admin is really bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

euphronius posted:

idk if you know this but the Biden admin is really bad

they got 13 troops killed so I’d have to disagree

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Petey posted:

this is what has me brainfucked about some of the university numbers around here. we're a few weeks into classes with a vaccine mandate + indoor masking mandate (but i'm sure the latter is not fully observed in the dorms) and have been at <.09% test positivity the entire time in a relatively low-transmission and high-vaccination local area (boston).

the indoor masking was originally going to expire in late july, but then delta extended it through at least september, in part to make sure all the new intl students were vaxxed once arriving. but it makes me wonder — under what conditions would we ever eliminate the indoor masking component? when/will that feel right?

the good news is that with universal surveillance testing and sequencing and contact tracing we should be able to get robust evidence on vaccinated-to-vaccinated transmission and severity and pasc and any new variants. the team running our covid response seems to be doing a really good job, and we're throwing just a ton of resources at trying to run the university "fully" during covid (e.g. running all classrooms, as i understand it, at 24/7 high-occupancy outdoor-air sourced circulation with upgraded merv-13 filtration). plus having people (as i've been posting about) test masks for counterfeits and run all these models on transmission.

so i do feel somewhat confident that we're going to figure out the answer to "if you have ~infinite resources in terms of both money and single-focus technocracy, how can you run a university during a pandemic?" i just don't know what that answer is going to be

My university employer is similarly focused on just spending their way out of COVID. Considering how anemic the government response is, having on-demand saliva PCR tests available at all times and contact tracing seems actually kind of impressive.

But I think whether it is ultimately a success or failure comes down completely to what the background community spread looks like. If the 95 corridor from D.C. to Boston finally starts succumbing like the rest of the country once the weather turns miserable in late fall, my guess is the campuses aren't going to fair better than the communities they're in just because undergrads are loving stupid as a general rule.

The person in charge of our campus COVID response straight up said "D.C. isn't the rest of the country" as though Master's degrees offer immunity from disease. I don't believe in much, but I do believe in the universe punishing PMC hubris like that.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Acelerion posted:

I figured out the cvs speedrun and posted info here for others, though Im sure other goons did as well. I've unironically done more to get people vaccinated than MadJackal!

Well yeah, it's easy to do more than somebody who lied about being a doctor for internet creditablity.

Thank you for sharing those tips!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zurtilik posted:

My manager keeps pulling his mask out to talk to people.

GAAAAHHHHH!!!

I saw a woman in the supermarket the other day who had tucked her iPhone under her surgical mask to make a voice call hands free
I was honestly just a little bit impressed at how well it balanced there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
According to Worldometers, the last 100k deaths in the US took 90 days; 498,693 on Feb-11-2021, to 600,412 on May-12-2021

Counting from 600,412 on May-12-2021, to 688,486 as of yesterday, Sep-16-2021, comes out to 127 days. At current trends (1,621 deaths/day), deaths may cross the 700k line in a little over a week.

By the last full day of Trump's presidency, 424,702 Americans had died of COVID-19. That means 263,784 Americans have died under the Biden administration. At current trends, Biden would exceed Trump's toll in about 100 days, or by about Dec-25-2021.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

mastershakeman posted:

Pretty much all the minority areas in Chicago got special community clinics for vaccines and hordes of rich work from home white people descended on them like locusts because there weren't any clinics located where the yuppies were. The assumption was they'd just figure it out and deal with the shaming and that's what they did.

Of course the actual rich just had their private doctors hook them up , so it was the middle management type people scrambling to book shots an hour away from where they lived.

I personally booked shots for my white collar mother in law who lived in a nice area of the suburbs (bought in when it was cheap 40 years ago) and the county had zero sites in the northern third of the county that was predominantly yuppie. It was a huge problem with her since she isn't mobile and is scared to drive and wouldn't even go to where she grew up since it was 20 minutes away. But hey, her community didn't need access despite being chock full of old people.

The govt set up a system where the people most motivated to get shots weren't offered them and then shamed them for doing so, it was insane. And the dutiful team blue people who Waited Their Turn? Well they got covid since society was completely reopened before their local places had doses for them

Seattle area it was the same, there were clinics in minority areas that only administered shots to indigenous people and people of color. I bet they were doing lots of community outreach too and signing up older folks who couldn’t navigate the garbage websites that were set up.

indigi posted:

yeah it probably had nothing to do with people being busy at work

I mentioned this is definitely a possibility but by and large probably wasn’t a major reason why Trumpy areas had hundreds of appointment slots available in March and April. I got my shot when I technically wasn’t supposed to because I wasn’t in the current tier but again, they had hundreds of open slots so idgaf.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Does anyone have the stats for myocarditis from being vaccinated? That looked like the biggest risk they had on their slides for boosters.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, that was the reason, for sure. Not Trump being an idiot mishandling everything. It's all a conspiracy, the puppet master in action!

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

we never coordinated a federal testing strategy specifically because the WH thought it was disproportionately killing democrats

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Biden yet again fails to approve the booster.

Sucking and loving delayed once again save for those dastardly booster bandits.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i cant imagine someone with a name likke Hunter Pepper looking any differently

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS data!

Critical Staffing Shortages (Pretending that the hospitals that dont report dont exist) from 9/1-9/17

50% of reporting hospitals in KY and RI have shortages. This hasn't changed in a month.
Wyoming is at 41%
Another 8 states are in the 30's (Southern States + NM)
AK/TRN went from 1/10 to 1/4 in shortage
DE from 1/10 to 1/5

ICU Occupancy:

Not much changed since yesterday EXCEPT
Yesterday may have had a data entry for MA because it went from 80% on Wed to 93% yesterday back to 79% today.
annnd OK re-entered the 90%+ club.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

fosborb posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

we never coordinated a federal testing strategy specifically because the WH thought it was disproportionately killing democrats

It was killing black people disproportionately and the WH nazis were ok with that. Thankfully ‘rona is killing chuds and cops now.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

HHS data!

Critical Staffing Shortages (Pretending that the hospitals that dont report dont exist) from 9/1-9/17

50% of reporting hospitals in KY and RI have shortages. This hasn't changed in a month.
Wyoming is at 41%
Another 8 states are in the 30's (Southern States + NM)
AK/TRN went from 1/10 to 1/4 in shortage
DE from 1/10 to 1/5

ICU Occupancy:

Not much changed since yesterday EXCEPT
Yesterday may have had a data entry for MA because it went from 80% on Wed to 93% yesterday back to 79% today.
annnd OK re-entered the 90%+ club.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaHol/status/1438849160787210240

France doing the right thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Acelerion posted:

Have you posted your fridge yet?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

At current trends (1,621 deaths/day), deaths may cross the 700k line in a little over a week.

maybe they can just delay reporting any deaths for the next 13 months and then backdate them all the day after the midterm election. im sure none of the people who died will mind since it will help biden beat the republicans in the Most Important Election of Our Lifetimes(not their lifetimes though cuz they are dead)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OH MY LORD

https://crooksandliars.com/2021/09/hillsborough-gop-cant-access-their

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1438673812241846274?s=19

lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/1438736996550250498

quote:

The 22-year-old hostess asked the group of Texans to show proof of getting the COVID vaccine in order to dine in the restaurant, part of NYC's executive order that went into effect this week. Law enforcement sources said that the hostess was then repeatedly punched in the face and body, and sent to the hospital.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm still not over how food poisoning is just something you get in the US. No big deal.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hope loomer dies

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

genericnick posted:

I'm still not over how food poisoning is just something you get in the US. No big deal.

did you also hear about all the deaths from it we have

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If this FDA debate were in good faith, they'd be debating whether vaccines should be going into arms or into CVS trash cans. By not mentioning the trash can alternative, they're just arguing hypotheticals in a vacuum. I guess what I'm saying is abolish the FDA/CDA & jail fauci

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

triple sulk posted:

i hope loomer dies

:same:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

If this FDA debate were in good faith, they'd be debating whether vaccines should be going into arms or into CVS trash cans. By not mentioning the trash can alternative, they're just arguing hypotheticals in a vacuum. I guess what I'm saying is abolish the FDA/CDA & jail fauci

It's also cringe worthy to not approve booster for a wider range of people given data from Israeli since majority of Israel got vaccinated in the first 4 months of the year.

They really want to risk breakthroughs and deaths especially for people in high risk work settings like healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

smoobles posted:

If you actually abolished the FDA then vaccines and horse paste would be on equal footing.