Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Update on tanking: I have run two dungeons. Superbolide hasn't killed me yet and no one complained at me, even when I forgot to turn tank stance on for the first pull. Mission success. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I usually stick to DPS and utility classes in MMOs, but I just made it to White Mage and I'm having a great time healing. The battle system is a lot of fun and most players are good with their aggro management. This is a new world for me.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

I usually stick to DPS and utility classes in MMOs, but I just made it to White Mage and I'm having a great time healing. The battle system is a lot of fun and most players are good with their aggro management. This is a new world for me.

Conversely I've been levelling my Astrologian and most of the roulettes are before I have my stance, cards, or HoT - cue "sorry, so sorry, hang on, I *do* have a heal, just a second!"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've been leveling my WHM (which is my first healer), and I gotta say that I'm having a lot of fun even in dungeon content. Dungeons were a bit boring for me with tank/DPS, but with healers it does feel like I have to take a more active role both in trash pulls and bosses. Maybe once I get used to the role it will be a bit more automated, but I'm having a lot of fun despite the few early-level jitters of playing a healer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
White mage remains my favorite class because I really like the balance of dps and healing they do. You actually end up with so many healing tools that I feel it doesn't get too routine.

Holy is an incredible drug once unlocked as well of course. I really miss it doing low level stuff (as well as the lily instants)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I use arm's length all the time on my Dragoon, but it's definitely going to take me some time to get used to the rest of the abilities and to remember to use them. My only prior tanking experience is in Overwatch, and that's a, uh, slightly different experience.

Making a note to try to use bolide early instead of late to spare the healer too much weeping over cooldowns wasted.

this video scans like a shitpost but it's legit a good guide on common tanking todo's and pitfalls - rotating cooldowns are mentioned though you seem to have worked that out already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8oVV_I-tIA

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mokinokaro posted:

Red Mage is mostly about the mobility. If you play any other magic dps, you feel rooted more than you do with red mage. Black mage and summoner are classes that really take a while to come into their own unfortunately. I have a 70s summoner and love it, but it's also the most complex skill rotation I've seen in the game.

As for ranged dps I've only played machinist and dancer. Machinist feels like it's going to give me RSI with how many buttons I have to push. Dancer has pretty easy combos, but I'd also argue isn't pure ranged. It's more of a hybrid like RDM with a decent number of melee skills.

My biggest problems with RDM were too long and fixed 'melee phase' and how annoying the AOE-fights feel. But he's 80 now, so I can safely ignore RDM, until Endwalker...

Now trying HOR... DNC and he feels fine. It was little confusing to setup the buttons and how trigger reactions work. Now that's done, the job makes sense.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 17, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Update on tanking: I have run two dungeons. Superbolide hasn't killed me yet and no one complained at me, even when I forgot to turn tank stance on for the first pull. Mission success. Thanks everyone for the advice.

To be honest the tank stance thing happens to everyone, so no one really gives people poo poo for it unless it goes beyond the first pull.

You know you've hosed up when people start throwing the auto-translate at you. :v: { Gunbreaker } { Royal Guard } { Please use it. } { Thank you! }

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Tekopo posted:

I've been leveling my WHM (which is my first healer), and I gotta say that I'm having a lot of fun even in dungeon content. Dungeons were a bit boring for me with tank/DPS, but with healers it does feel like I have to take a more active role both in trash pulls and bosses. Maybe once I get used to the role it will be a bit more automated, but I'm having a lot of fun despite the few early-level jitters of playing a healer.

Part of why I'm enjoying healing is that it doesn't become automated, at least not to the extent that DPS and even tanking do. It's definitely the role that requires the most adaptation to encounters and how your groupmates are playing. You'll probably get to the point where noticing incoming damage and deciding on the right heal to use becomes a lot more instinctual, but it never gets boring.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Don’t worry, everyone forgets stance at some point

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm having a heck of a time just finding a good hotbar setup for this game. I use WSAD for movement and I find anything beyond 7 on the number row annoying to reach. I bound Q, E, G and R to stuff. Does everyone just do Shift 1-5 then control 1-5 after using up the usual suspects? I'm also using my other mouse buttons already. Maybe I'll just wait until 60+ then redo it all once I pick a class to main.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nibble posted:

Part of why I'm enjoying healing is that it doesn't become automated, at least not to the extent that DPS and even tanking do. It's definitely the role that requires the most adaptation to encounters and how your groupmates are playing. You'll probably get to the point where noticing incoming damage and deciding on the right heal to use becomes a lot more instinctual, but it never gets boring.

100% this is why I love playing healers too, especially in unfamiliar content. Once I'm comfortable with the toolkit it feels so good to have my finger on the pulse of the encounter, anticipating upcoming issues and instantly coming up with a triage plan if things go south.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've been a tank main for about five years and still do the "oops tank stance shut off when my level got downsynched" thing now and then. As long as you have the situational awareness to note that you are taking unusually little damage/your party is taking unusually much damage/the enmity list isn't a chain of red dots then absolutely nobody cares.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm having a heck of a time just finding a good hotbar setup for this game. I use WSAD for movement and I find anything beyond 7 on the number row annoying to reach. I bound Q, E, G and R to stuff. Does everyone just do Shift 1-5 then control 1-5 after using up the usual suspects? I'm also using my other mouse buttons already. Maybe I'll just wait until 60+ then redo it all once I pick a class to main.

I use 1-6, q,e,t,y,g,h,z,x,c,v,b and shift with all of those, also shift-wasd

Some are less-used than others. "core" stuff gets like 1-5, q, e, z, x, c

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Gunslinger posted:

Does everyone just do Shift 1-5 then control 1-5 after using up the usual suspects?

Yeah, chorded keys is where you go after you're out of space otherwise. If you go and disable the hotkeys for switching chat channels that are all Alt- chords, you can use those too (and IMO Alt is easier for me than Ctrl or Shift).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory controller plug :v:

In all seriousness I know folks have a lot of different setups; some use those MMO mice, others use a lot of different modifiers like shift/control/alt and a relatively contained keyboard footprint, etc. If you did a lot of hotbar MMO stuff in the past then if you had something you liked there you can probably recreate it here, including the fact you can change the size and shape of hotbars in the UI.

In general most jobs in this game average around ~30-35 abilities in total, so plan for something like that with stuff like sprint / lb / potions available as well.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Kyrosiris posted:

(and IMO Alt is easier for me than Ctrl or Shift).

I was going to post the same. Alt is easier for me. If you can get a mouse with a few extra buttons on it it also helps immensely but I understand if someone doesn't want to spend money on a mouse for a game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. Using either shift/ctrl or just a gamepad seems to be the most common.

I prefer using macros to swap between single-target and AOE setups to fit relevant buttons near wasd. :haw:

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Tortolia posted:

Yeah I've been a tank main for about five years and still do the "oops tank stance shut off when my level got downsynched" thing now and then.

Shame is queuing into a max level instance with stance on, and toggling it off on autopilot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Gunslinger posted:

I use 1-7, q, e, f, g, and three buttons on the mouse for hotkeys. Plus shift variants of those (except the mouse buttons, I can't wrap my head around that). 8 through = are for mounts and tank stance and whatnot.

Some classes really push that limit though, I have a few GNB and SAM cooldowns above 7. I should probably use ctrl as well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't understand people who bind Shift. It's just awkward to be pressing ! or # to do something.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I usually find Shift way easier to use than Ctrl or Alt, especially while moving. Unfortunately I had noticed some strain on the outside of my hand after a longer play session with some classes, and I couldn't find suitable alternatives to place my abilities that satisfied me. Then someone either here or the main thread mentioned binding one of the extra mouse buttons to Shift, and that's made things so much better. I've got a silly mouse that has two extra buttons on each side, but there's no mouse-6 or -7 available, so that was a perfect place to put it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know, maybe I've got spidercrab hands that don't see a problem with crtl pressing. I would use mouse keys instead but I only have a five button mouse and I can't figure out how to bind these two extra buttons.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked this up about a week ago and I'm so annoyed with myself because I've been clean of MMOs for over a decade :argh:

This probably is obvious, but my character will carry across from the free trial if I got that through the website but I then buy the game on Steam? I don't plan to any time soon, but I figured I should ask now.

Also how long does it take the main story to actually pick up again after Ifrit? This stuff with befriending sylphs and running errands in this backwater bar seems to be one hell of a demotion after all that cool primal stuff.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Steam accounts and Square accounts can't intermingle at all so if you wanna continue the game you'll need to keep up with the non-steam Launcher. Which is fine, imo, it's what I use

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I don't know if you can even do the free trial via steam, but I wouldn't expect issues.

If you do buy the game on PC from non-steam storefronts you can still add the game to your steam launcher and upload screenshots that way, it just doesn't track playtime (thank God) or show screenshots in your Steam activity feed. Otherwise it works just fine.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I suspected as much, and I already have the client added in the Steam list anyway. Oh well.

And yeah, you can't get the free trial through Steam at all. There's a Demo button on the store page for the game, but it just installs the normal game then yells at you for not owning FF14 :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And to answer your other question, yeah, that’s the biggest slump in the main story of ARR; pretty much everything once you get to Titan and beyond picks up again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

And to answer your other question, yeah, that’s the biggest slump in the main story of ARR; pretty much everything once you get to Titan and beyond picks up again.

Having just gone through this, I'm going to politely disagree with the above and suggest that you steel yourself for quite a bit of nonsense until Heavensward. There are some better story beats littered throughout but there is an absolute ton of errands still, talking to the same NPCs in three different spots, pointless zoning and then rezoning to speak to Minfilia/Alphinaud and so on. Flight helps but it is a slog. It doesn't help that much of the story itself is scattershot and doesn't really feel cohesive until right near the end. I'm right near HW and it's picking up a bit but I will be so glad to finish ARR and move onto better things.

Do some raids and roulettes to help, the story has more built in but seek out some optional ones to change things up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Do some raids and roulettes to help, the story has more built in but seek out some optional ones to change things up.

I harp on this a lot but really do recommend it; ARR has a ton of level 50 content that is fully optional but pretty cool and really helps mix up the raw quest grind.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

My keybind layout has generally stayed the same since the vanilla WoW days, mostly focused around the number keys, E R F G, and shift. There are enough similarities between pretty much every MMO I've played that a lot of muscle memory for common utilities has built itself in. Shift-W for "burst of speed", H for mount, Shift-V for "quick / instacast", Q for "interrupt" (well, it's where my interrupt would be if WHM had one). Does anyone else do this, I have to assume it's at least somewhat common.

Cure 1 and Medica 1 are off there on the end so I can swap them around if I end up in a low level dungeon, and then hurriedly swap them back when I remember to, ten minutes into a high level dungeon. Class change buttons, macros to adjust music level, Teleport / Return, etc. are in a square grid off to the side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I still mostly click things that aren't 1,2, or 3 with my mouse and that works fine. Note I have been a savage raider for most of FFXIV.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still mostly click things that aren't 1,2, or 3 with my mouse and that works fine. Note I have been a savage raider for most of FFXIV.

At one point in the past, I believe one of the best-parsing savage dragoons in the world was exclusively a mouse clicker.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The game doesn't really demand that you keep your eyes locked to the screen all the time, especially once you know the boss patterns, so clicking the buttons instead of assigning hotkeys is perfectly viable. It's what I mostly do; I get lost if I have to remember more than a handful of hotkeys so I'll put one or two important combos onto keys within easy reach of my left hand and click on anything else I need.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rosalind posted:

At one point in the past, I believe one of the best-parsing savage dragoons in the world was exclusively a mouse clicker.

That may be me you're talking about, but I think I only ever was top 4% worldwide in a few of the alex raids. We were a pretty casual static so I couldn't keep up with gear vs the very top.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What do you guys like to put on your Mouse4/Mouse5 buttons?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I put Sprint and auto-run.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Jinnigan posted:

I have Sprint on M5, mount on Shift-M5. M4 and S-M4 are ground target abilities for jobs that have them, since I find them easier to place quickly when they're on the mouse. Notably M4 is Earthly Star, Asylum and Sacred Soil. For jobs that don't have ground targets they tend to be common oGCDs of some sort (Continuation, Elixir Field, etc).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jinnigan posted:

Gap closers and quick retreats, things that you spam (Gauss Shot, etc), ranged attacks for tanks. Stuff that you want to use on the move, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

I used my mouse software to set them to be ALT and CTRL respectively, which I find way more ergonomic than the excruciating claw hands I'd need to do to press them on the keyboard. It's weird that you can't normally bind arbitrary keys in place of SHIFT/ALT/CTRL though.