Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hey thread, I posted here about a month ago seeking guidance on a convoluted offer I got to do operations at a boutique strategy consulting startup as well as managing a property.

Part of that initial offer was to pay me a salary that I would then pay back as rent to establish a rent roll on this property, but we’ve scrapped that as part of the initial employment offer. We are going to figure out that rent roll scheme somewhere down the line, but for now, we worked out a simple employment contract, and it’s a bit better than that initial deal. I’m kinda proud of myself for flipping the housing-as-compensation offer on its head—establishing that it’s not actually a valuable proposition to me—and I ended up getting a higher base rate out of it.

When it came down to brass tacks and my boss asked how much I wanted to make in a year, I threw out 65k, which is about 15k more than my last job. After deliberating for a few days, he countered with a starting salary of 48k a year (plus health care and a 401k), but I’d be on a fast track to 65k in about six months after I hit a few key milestones, and I’d be on track to make ~88k after about a year and a half (but i’m not counting those chickens). He argued that I don’t have the skills and experience yet to be autonomous enough to justify 65k (he’s right, this if my first time working in both of these fields, and I haven’t worked much since graduating with a liberal arts degree a few years ago). So I agreed to it.

Now I know a promise of future raises isn’t worth much, but I basically don’t have a BATNA (unemployment would have run out this week, and I stoped studying Javascript a few months to focus on this work), and the milestones are pretty concrete and attainable. Also Ive gotten the sense over the past few weeks that he’s legitimately invested in training me up to those higher levels, so I don’t get the sense that I’m being used as cheap, disposable labor.

Anyway, thanks for helping me work through this and for providing strategic tips in the actual conversation. I certainly would have said a few things I shouldn’t have had I not read the thread.

IMO you pretty much ignored most of the advice given to you in response to your OP. It is my opinion that $48k is garbage compensation in NYC for the amount of work described in the req, and any mention of future raises, no matter how likely the boss says unless it is written in a contract, should be valued at $0.

You could do better. But, if you're desperate, you do what you must.

If you really really want this specific job for whatever reason, I would hold fast to the 65k number, but it sounds like you may have already accepted 48k.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sometimes they're not actively digging but the goon is content to just stay in the well. It's kind of comfortably familiar down there once you're used to it, and climbing out takes, like, ambition and stuff.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

priznat posted:

Hey all just wanted a check on my plan. I interviewed with a FAANG and they are interested in sending me an offer, the recruiter (internal) is asking if I have any thought into my compensation. I’m thinking of responding like “Since this is a level X would there be a standard range for this?” And then have a look at levels.FYI etc to get what that range is and how it compares? Or should I just take the top end of this range and say that?

I’m not desperate for this job so I feel like I have very good BATNA and it would be fairly disruptive with a relocation or possibly living in a different location from the family and commuting to see them on weekends etc so I definitely want it to be worth my while.

Not necessarily even just FAANG but for any large company I’ve always used something to the effect of: ‘You guys are sufficiently large and have a good reputation so I’m not concerned that your offer will be competitive. However if you’re concerned you can tell me what range you’ll be offering just so we can be on the same page’.

They *always* accept that and defer the conversation for later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When negotiating an offer you received is it helpful to relate it in terms to your current job (“your offer has a worse health insurance plan or less PTO than my current job so I’d like $XX salary to compensate”) or should you just stick to reasoning why you’re worth more to the new company?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's best not to try to explain yourself at all. "I am highly interested in making this move but it would require $X."

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's best not to try to explain yourself at all. "I am highly interested in making this move but it would require $X."

To expand on this: providing reasoning just allows your counter-party to wiggle into any hole they can find in a search to deny you. So for example if you say their PTO isn't as good then they can come back and ask what you're currently making to 'try to see if we can find a middle ground here in terms of PTO/compensation'

You want what you want because you want it. You don't have to justify any of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I sent my total compensation expectation last week and the recruiter called me back and I wasn't able to reach them, sounds like she wants to discuss it. It may be wanting to determine what my salary/bonus/stock expectations are within that amount or trying to get me to give a lower number.. I think I'll just ask to see an offer and we can go from there rather than try to split up the salary etc.. Salary should be at least half of what I asked if not more though. Stocks are a pain in the rear end and them and bonuses are the first things that can get denied or reduced for whatever reasons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just talked to recruiter, the amount I said was too high (as I expected, it was right at the top of the level that I had seen on levels.fyi) and she mentioned a lower range and I said I would have a look at an offer. So they're getting that together. Potentially still doubling my current comp but will have to relocate eventually - which may entail having a small apartment in the work city and commuting back to home on weekends etc. So I'm not really sold on this completely.

Also waiting for another company to finally decide if they are giving me an offer or someone else.. That one I am a LOT more keen on the position so this is great practice at least.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fired off a counter-offer email, now I get to worry for however long it takes to get back to me that I blew up the whole deal. :barf:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

priznat posted:

Just talked to recruiter, the amount I said was too high (as I expected, it was right at the top of the level that I had seen on levels.fyi) and she mentioned a lower range and I said I would have a look at an offer. So they're getting that together. Potentially still doubling my current comp but will have to relocate eventually - which may entail having a small apartment in the work city and commuting back to home on weekends etc. So I'm not really sold on this completely.

Also waiting for another company to finally decide if they are giving me an offer or someone else.. That one I am a LOT more keen on the position so this is great practice at least.

Watch out for COL if it's NYC SF or similar mega expensive cities. You probably know but drat it kinda defies intuition.

back when I was thinking of moving to SF I was absolutely shocked at how much I'd need to make just breaking even with my medium COL location.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Watch out for COL if it's NYC SF or similar mega expensive cities. You probably know but drat it kinda defies intuition.

back when I was thinking of moving to SF I was absolutely shocked at how much I'd need to make just breaking even with my medium COL location.

Yeah for sure, it's a similar COL to my current location at least. Always good advice though. Also bonus it is only a 2 hour drive so it would be doable for weekend commutes back.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I recently had a round of interviews at a non profit - six to be exact. I had seen the opening but didn’t apply because it was advertised for 20k less than what I was willing to take.

They called me and asked me to interview and I told them my concerns. They said they could meet my expectations. Sometime after the second interview, the changed the title I was applying for from “manager” to director”

And then they offered me the advertised rate , after I wasted six hours of my life. I said no, obviously.

Anyways, I make 75k base but I made 42k in OT last year and I’m on track to do the same this year.

I had my sixth interview with a pharma company today, and after that interview another company scheduled my “next and final step” for tomorrow.

How do I play these places off of each other?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just tell them that you're also going to be entertaining other offers. That's it. If they have two brain cells to rub together they'll know they need to make their best, or close to best, offer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only reason to go work for a non profit, besides out of the goodness of your heart, is because you want extremely flexible work life balance, in particular in relation to family stuff

The only way you're getting above advertised rate at a non profit is if your brother/sister is on the board of directors, and/or if a close family member is a significant contributor

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got above market rate at a non-profit including 26 days total of pto (all inclusive). Not the norm certainly but it's not impossible. And no I didn't know a single person there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/bysarahkrouse/status/1435593989688856581

This is especially gross because it basically shows that companies don’t pay what you’re worth but rather the minimum that they can get away with paying you.

I mean we knew that but Google really showing their rear end on this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also goes hand in hand with the rampant collusion in the tech industry to keep down salaries.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I hope people are smart enough to just go "Nah" and walk. If they're getting Google offers, they can get other comparable or better ones.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Chaotic Flame posted:

I hope people are smart enough to just go "Nah" and walk. If they're getting Google offers, they can get other comparable or better ones.

Yeah, just move instead of proof.

You don’t need to proof anything. If they don’t want to keep top talent they’re going to lose out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Recruiter called me back on my counter offer and we got to a number I'm happy with :)

Going from a 90min commute to 15min commute is gonna be such a great shift in my work/life balance, thanks for the advice thread!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FCKGW posted:

Recruiter called me back on my counter offer and we got to a number I'm happy with :)

Going from a 90min commute to 15min commute is gonna be such a great shift in my work/life balance, thanks for the advice thread!

:woop:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Yeah, just move instead of proof.

You don’t need to proof anything. If they don’t want to keep top talent they’re going to lose out.

Speaking of google, this link came across my radar today. Figured the thread might want to see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/10/google-underpaid-workers-illegal-pay-disparity-documents

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

TheParadigm posted:

Speaking of google, this link came across my radar today. Figured the thread might want to see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/10/google-underpaid-workers-illegal-pay-disparity-documents

Good thing they stopped vowing to not be evil.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just talked to the person I was dealing with for my comp expectations with a FAANG I am a bit wishy-washy on, they didn't meet my comp expectations (about 20% low) but did say they maxed out the salary band for my level. This means until I get promoted or move to another group I wouldn't get any increases, which seems weird. Salary bands don't move with inflation? Anyway this was all just over the phone and she is sending an information packet out.

I'm kind of torn because while the work would be really interesting I don't think the comp is quite enough to get me to relocate (I'd probably be coming back to my city on weekends to see my kids, about a 2.5hour drive plus a border crossing) and I've heard the culture is a bit weird and high pressure.

It was an interesting experience going through this though with not really being very stressed out about negotiating because I'm not in love with the job.

Ironically my current work just gave me a 12.7% increase due to all the recent attrition and I was identified as a potential flight risk, lol.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

priznat posted:

Just talked to the person I was dealing with for my comp expectations with a FAANG I am a bit wishy-washy on, they didn't meet my comp expectations (about 20% low) but did say they maxed out the salary band for my level. This means until I get promoted or move to another group I wouldn't get any increases, which seems weird. Salary bands don't move with inflation? Anyway this was all just over the phone and she is sending an information packet out.

I'm kind of torn because while the work would be really interesting I don't think the comp is quite enough to get me to relocate (I'd probably be coming back to my city on weekends to see my kids, about a 2.5hour drive plus a border crossing) and I've heard the culture is a bit weird and high pressure.

It was an interesting experience going through this though with not really being very stressed out about negotiating because I'm not in love with the job.

Ironically my current work just gave me a 12.7% increase due to all the recent attrition and I was identified as a potential flight risk, lol.

I can only tell you how it works where I am at but we do see small increases in our bands each year. The guys in my group who are maxed out can only get 1-2% raises base don the year. Great for my young guys as it is more money for them to get 3-5% raises.

V: That is 100% my opinion as well.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 14, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just my 2 cents, but no amount of money is worth that commute and only seeing my kids on the weekends. No one at the end of their life has ever looked back and said, you know I wish I spent less time with my kids and more time at work.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Just my 2 cents, but no amount of money is worth that commute and only seeing my kids on the weekends. No one at the end of their life has ever looked back and said, you know I wish I spent less time with my kids and more time at work.

This is the truth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, it's where I am leaning too.. I had thought "well it's pretty close" but I don't think I could do it without relocating everyone.

Slightly tempted to show this offer to my current place to try to leverage more of a raise but I don't think that would end well either.

The job offered would be remote until at least next year when they are back in office and I was wondering if I should contact them and ask if I can continue to be remote but if there are specific times when I'm required (this is a hardware job so bringup or specific debug) I could go there to work for a week or two then the bulk of the time I would be at home. That might be a better option and could negotiate a lower salary etc if that's what it takes to make that happen. If not then probably walk.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Can you negotiate a higher grade? From what I've heard about fang negotiating, deciding what level you come in at is sort of the lever.

Also, again second-hand, they love to under level people. Probably sometimes with merit but others seem like because they throw their weight around a bit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

They're notorious for under leveling. If you're really interested, see if they'll raise the level or let you loop for the next level if there are different criteria.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

They're notorious for under leveling. If you're really interested, see if they'll raise the level or let you loop for the next level if there are different criteria.

I had gone thru the loop for lvl 6 but they dropped me to 5, but then gave the top end for 5. I was a little surprised because my experience elsewhere I would have figured more 6, but with the salary bump I’d get it would be a good start then move up!

Anyone in aws hardware development? Would love to hear any impressions. I have PMs!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i don't think there's a number that would be like yes let me only see my family on weekends, this seems good

and this is from someone with north of a hundred nights a year in hotels

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just got a FAANG offer. The recruiter told me the offer over the phone and said "I'll send you some material, take a look at it!" No deadline was set.

What's the etiquette in this sort of situation? I'm hoping to drag it out a bit so my other offers have time to come in. Am thinking I'll reply them only end of next Monday with some clarification questions, ask to schedule time with a team member to ask more questions about job scope (which they offered), etc.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I just got a FAANG offer. The recruiter told me the offer over the phone and said "I'll send you some material, take a look at it!" No deadline was set.

What's the etiquette in this sort of situation? I'm hoping to drag it out a bit so my other offers have time to come in. Am thinking I'll reply them only end of next Monday with some clarification questions, ask to schedule time with a team member to ask more questions about job scope (which they offered), etc.

Monday evening is a bit slow, but fine. I would expect that you'll be able to easily drag it out a week and without a lot of back and forth be pushing it for much longer than two weeks. The best thing to do is to tell those other companies that you have an offer and they need to hurry up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

Are you happy with the offer, and what area is it in? Just curious!

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Took a job earlier this year which represented a career change (posted about it a bit in the thread). Been in the role for about 6 months now and just got hit up by a recruiter with a similar role that is fully remote. The role didn't have a salary listed so I asked for the band. The recruiter said it runs concurrent with experience and blah blah blah but asked what I was expecting. I don't really have any desire to leave my job for another 9-12 months at the earliest so I threw out a 'gently caress you' number thinking that would be that. Well the recruiter responded back that it was 'no problem' and asked me to fill out an application and they would review and set up a phone interview (should have aimed higher on my f-u number I guess). Well I did and that happened so now I suppose I got to get to practicing interviewing again. I'd feel pretty bad about leaving my current job so quickly and burning the bridge but this role would be a 50% pay bump, at worst, over the current role (100%+ what I was making in March) if the recruiter is to believed. Don't really think I can turn that down if offered with what I know now. If it comes to pass, I'm contemplating taking the offer to the current role and asking for a pay bump, although I've never been a big fan of that move, and I don't see how anything they offer would approach that salary.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Unless you're like me, a giant wuss who works at nonprofits because of feelings, your employer is in this for the profit and so are you. If they can't match a better competing offer, I don't see why you should feel bad about leaving, unless burning that bridge will hurt your reputation in a small industry or something.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I would reconsider trying to use an offer to negotiate a party bump at your current place, especially as someone so new. This thread loves to talk about it putting a target on your back, lack of loyalty, etc. but if you're only six months in, I REALLY can't see that working in your favor.

If the offer works, just take it and go. If it burns a bridge, it burns a bridge (unless you're in a tiny industry).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shats Basoon posted:

Took a job earlier this year which represented a career change (posted about it a bit in the thread). Been in the role for about 6 months now and just got hit up by a recruiter with a similar role that is fully remote. The role didn't have a salary listed so I asked for the band. The recruiter said it runs concurrent with experience and blah blah blah but asked what I was expecting. I don't really have any desire to leave my job for another 9-12 months at the earliest so I threw out a 'gently caress you' number thinking that would be that. Well the recruiter responded back that it was 'no problem' and asked me to fill out an application and they would review and set up a phone interview (should have aimed higher on my f-u number I guess). Well I did and that happened so now I suppose I got to get to practicing interviewing again. I'd feel pretty bad about leaving my current job so quickly and burning the bridge but this role would be a 50% pay bump, at worst, over the current role (100%+ what I was making in March) if the recruiter is to believed. Don't really think I can turn that down if offered with what I know now. If it comes to pass, I'm contemplating taking the offer to the current role and asking for a pay bump, although I've never been a big fan of that move, and I don't see how anything they offer would approach that salary.

Yeah you apparently hosed up. Good info to have if you start looking more actively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Hot take: the recruiter is lying to you and they’ll come back with a pay band that’s 10% under what you currently make, and would negotiate up to what you currently make.