Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Suburban Dad posted:

Did they fix the Andy quest drop every time bug? I could see people getting mad about that one too.

I believe this was deliberately going unfixed.

bawfuls posted:

It is so odd which bugs this dev team has decided to fix and which they haven't. there must be something about NHAM that makes it harder to fix and they're just using "Original Game Experience" as an excuse not to fix it.

Yeah some are a lot harder to fix, like many orders of magnitude harder.

Also they're on an executive-declared release deadline, so exactly as many random long-time bugs will get fixed as they think they can spare time for. Frankly them sparing time for any old bugs at this point is a good sign wrt how much of the game is actually done.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What the hell is everyone talking about with quest drop and bosses?

I ask this as someone who never played ladder or online past 1.09

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aces High posted:

What the hell is everyone talking about with quest drop and bosses?

I ask this as someone who never played ladder or online past 1.09

First time you kill a boss on each difficulty you get bonus drops. Not sure if it's more drops or just better quality loot. It's tied to the last quest in each act.

However! You can bug andariel into always doing bonus drop by killing her, taking the portal that spawns back, immediately going to the next act, then quitting the game. Do not talk to anyone else except the guy to go to act 2. It'll permanently bug that character into bonus drop.

Ways to do the other bosses too but they're not permanent and annoying.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Huh. I never knew that. Seems like a good way to farm low level uniques in NM and Hell.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

External Organs posted:

Huh. I never knew that. Seems like a good way to farm low level uniques in NM and Hell.

Best way to get certain items like soj and shako too I think.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

External Organs posted:

It happens almost every time without even trying so you probably already did it without knowing it. The only way to not quest bug andy is to kill her and then leave the game before going to a2. You don't even need to just talk to warriv - you can do whatever you want in a1 as long as you go to a2 in the same game.

With Duriel you need to have someone who has already done the quest kill duriel with no one else in the chamber. Then the people who need the quest will see it as being unable to be completed. Then you go talk to tyrael. This will move the quest into a completable state & duriel will also have permanent quest drops.

I don't believe there is a way for the other 3 bosses short of "join a game made by someone who has beat them & kill them yourself without getting quest credit".

Bugged duriel is a great source of arach (andy can't drop), rings, and amulets. Quest bugged bosses are arguably one of the best ways to mf in a 1p game on bnet. Especially early on when you can't kill seal glitch chaos quickly. With nodrop 0/in higher player count games you're better off in high monster level areas I guess, but in terms of usable items:real time qbugged bosses are still decent especially if you have no gear at all.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 17, 2021

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

So since the next attack bug is still there and presumably never going to be fixed, does that mean we just use something else? Is Sacrifice a viable primary attack?

Zeal is still extremely strong, even with the bug. Paladin has great blocking and you'll probably be swinging fast with a phase blade.

People definitely still make builds based around Fury, to (Druids and Wolf Barbs).

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Is this the thread for resurrected? Never played D2 and want some hot tips

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

rap music posted:

I think it will be, unless they want to have a regular games thread as opposed to retro.

Some random tips-

Partying is super fun and good for experience, just know that loot is shared across all players so stuff gets yoinked.

You get a single respec through a quest in act 1 - one for each difficulty (normal/nightmare/hell). So don't use it right away and think it's something you can keep doing. You can technically get more via getting some endgame drops but this isn't realistic at the beginning of the game.

The music is super good you should listen to it at least once before you turn on other fun tunes.

Higher level belts can hold more potions. Use potions. It's a potion game for sure.

Most stuff can scrap their way through normal difficulty, I'd just gently caress around with whatever class and skills look cool and then if you want to keep going, Respec for nightmare.

Cool starting classes imo would be Necro, druid, sorceress, or barbarian

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

External Organs posted:

You get a single respec through a quest in act 1 - one for each difficulty (normal/nightmare/hell). So don't use it right away and think it's something you can keep doing. You can technically get more via getting some endgame drops but this isn't realistic at the beginning of the game.

Do you get one imbue per difficulty, as well? And how do you make the determination of when to use it?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Do you get one imbue per difficulty, as well? And how do you make the determination of when to use it?

One per difficulty and it's used a lot for belts/boots/gloves during non-twinked playthroughs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I'm not searching twinked at work, I thought I knew what it meant with only dark souls context but I guess not. What is it?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

codo27 posted:

Ok I'm not searching twinked at work, I thought I knew what it meant with only dark souls context but I guess not. What is it?

"Twinking" in gaming parlance is giving high level or otherwise difficult to acquire gear to a low level player that would not normally be able to obtain it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

"twinked" means "getting nice hand-me-down items from a higher-level character"

for example, a one easy way to "twink" would be to play your first character up to Act 3, assemble Khalim's Will for the quest, and then go back and give it to your second character

since Khalim's Will is a quest item that needs to be wielded by everyone, it has no level requirement, and no STR/DEX requirement

but it deals a lot of damage for something that you can start wielding at level 1, and costs nothing to arm, so your level 1 character immediately starts the game with a weapon that's useful until at least Act 3 itself

(and in the meantime you can still finish Act 3 if you can have a friend get you to the Durance of Hate waypoint)

the Horadric Staff also works on a similar principle, but it's less good in this manner because it's a two-handed weapon

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Imbue wirts leg obviously

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is a pretty nice reference sheet that was recently reposted on reddit. Probably most useful for returning players who know what all these things mean. Has a lot of stuff like breakpoints, upgrade/crafting recopies, area levels, runewords, hell farming zone immunities, even which direction to search in each zone for the next objective. If you select the runes you have it will also highlight which runewords you can make.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 17, 2021

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

rap music posted:

I'll be putting together a new one tonight and tomorrow

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Imbues are also fun to throw at random circlets because they can roll some really weird stuff.

Some other oddities that just popped into my head about D2:.

1. Only physical damage can leech life or mana. Spells don't leech at all.

2. I'm fairly certain that elemental damage is not multiplied by any enhanced damage your skill is providing. Only physical. For example if you've got a high level zeal, but you've got a lot of elemental damage on your weapon, you might do the same amount of damage with a lower level zeal.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that one, it's been a long time.

3. It's mentioned earlier in the thread but toggling run instead of walking will make your defense (essentially chance to hit, not like damage reduction) go to poo poo while you're moving. Usually this can be ignored unless you're playing hardcore or if you're in a particularly tough encounter. It's a dumb mechanic.

4. Monsters in hell have some level of physical resistance as well as leech resistance. Also most monsters have some types of immunity, and unique monsters can have multiple immunities. The Necro curse decrepify can break phys immunities. For elemental you need someone with a conviction aura (or a really expensive endgame runeword on your mercenary), or Necro curse lower resist. You can buy items that have charges of lower resist! Keep an eye out for them! They're likely going to be very expensive but other than gambling the game doesn't really have much of a money sink.

5. You're not going to get like PoE style millions of dps builds. Iirc if you can be doing 1-4k damage you're probably fine. Some builds that hit fast or do other fancy poo poo will probably be fine lower.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- Yes, running will set your Defense to zero, and will also cut your chance-to-block to about a third. When I was running a Defiant Paladin build, the advice was "white man runs, black man walks"

- Monsters USED TO have a blanket 50% physical resistance, but that was in a very old patch, and it was kinda bad because it meant way too many monsters were becoming Physical Immune when the 50% PR would add-on to whatever PR the base monster model had. They eventually abandoned it in favor of doubling every monster's base HP, which is what D2 is still using to this day.

- Yes, "leech resistance" is a thing, with most Undead like skeletons and zombies having it set to a number that means you cannot life/mana leech from them at all.

- I went over this in some previous pages, but while it is possible to "break" immunities with Amplify Damage/Decrepify/Conviction/Lower Resist, your best bet to get around a target that's immune to your primary attack's element is to have a secondary attack that deals a different element of damage.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

- I went over this in some previous pages, but while it is possible to "break" immunities with Amplify Damage/Decrepify/Conviction/Lower Resist, your best bet to get around a target that's immune to your primary attack's element is to have a secondary attack that deals a different element of damage.
We call this a "mercenary" or just running by them.

Or the one point wonder that is berserk if you're a barb I guess.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See in Souls you have Twinkling Titanite, so I thought it meant having items infused with that early on, so I wasn't totally off. I didn't realize it was a term that applied to other games.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

See in Souls you have Twinkling Titanite, so I thought it meant having items infused with that early on, so I wasn't totally off. I didn't realize it was a term that applied to other games.

I used the term because the community does, I don't care for it myself. Good move not googling it at work!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I hope my 970 can handle a whole lotta skeletons

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

In retrospect, "twinking" makes zero sense and...how the hell did it get that meaning anyway? It can't be just a diablo thing right?

Also it's been super weird googling old builds and finding forum posts from the mid 2000s just rife with uh, language that would not be tolerated anymore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It's a common term, pretty much any game where you can reroll as a fresh character people use the term.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's possible, but as far as I know not super clear, that the gaming use of "twink" was actually started in reference to the gay slang term.

This can be kind of awkward because at the time it started being used in games it may have commonly been in a derogatory way, although now it can still make sense without any negative connotation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking

quote:

There are several possible etymologies for the word. It may not have been derived from a single source, instead evolving from multiple convergent usages. Its exact origin is unclear.

The gay-slang usage of "twink" has been suggested as a likely origin.[1] One of the connotations of this usage is "a young/inexperienced person who can outfit himself fashionably because of financial benefits from an older/experienced sugar daddy." This parallels MMORPGs, where in-game money is a strong limiting factor in the virtual economy and gear is usually in the form of clothing and jewelry.

The word "twink" appeared in the Ultima Online: Renaissance playguide in the glossary of terms (copyrighted in 2000). It was asserted to have a meaning similar to its current one, but also included powerlevelling.

On the MUD Sojourn, which several creators of EverQuest played, "twink" was alternately used to refer to powerleveling and metagaming. As MUDs date to 1978, this use of the term may possibly predate later uses.

The term twink and twinking predated MMOs and was prevalent in many MUDs. The term came from flags on much of the high-end gear that cause gear to be displayed as (twinkling) <gear name>. It was not an alternate name for powerleveling, but could be used as a method of powerleveling.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I have neither Spanish origins nor am I ultra geared for my position in life, yet here we are.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
In the absence of firm etymology I'm going to say there is a close to zero chance it isn't directly related to gay terminology

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

External Organs posted:

Also it's been super weird googling old builds and finding forum posts from the mid 2000s just rife with uh, language that would not be tolerated anymore.

Progress, I guess?

They commented on Reddit how they tried to fix NHAM in a roundabout way by claiming it was caused by desync and the new servers are better. Not sure I buy it just yet. Here's the quote from the community manager:

So NHAM is an interesting one. I know Rod chimed in briefly but I have some further details on how and why it works in a specific way.

Depending on how you look at it, we didn't touch it, but in another way we fixed it.

First, let me explain what D2 Legacy does and what you see as a player and why it is perceived as a bug. There are two places where logic is happening when you play D2. One is on the client, that is your computer, and the other is the server, that's our computers here. When you play with other players, they are doing things on their client, and updating the server as well. The server sorts it all out and sends information back to everyone. When the information on one of them is different than the other, we call that a de-sync. A good example of this is when you are standing in one spot, and the server thinks you are in another. This causes the "rubber banding" when you snap back to a spot where both locations are the same. This is why you ten dto see rubber banding more if you have a poor connection versus a strong one. As we modernized D2L for D2R we did a lot of work to keep our de-syncs to a minimum.

One other example of a de-sync is when a player that is doing something (ie: teleport or frost nova) takes a hit. On the client the player starts playing the animation. Attacks and other abilities don't actually occur on the first frame of animation, they will occur at a later point in time. With the telport, you'll start to see the lightning form, but the actual translocation of your character doesn't occur till later in the animation cycle. If you were to get hit while you were playing that animation, you would get knocked out of the ability, and it would be canceled. In D2L it was common for you to see the animation continue for much longer than it should have. This then caused it to look like your next ability missed because what the client saw, and what the server saw were two different things. The client would then reject any succesful abilities because it knew you were still in the "get hit" state, however as a player, the client had become de-synced and let the animation continue. This would then make it look like your teleport went off, or your frost nova fired off but in reality nothing happened.

This NHAM bug people are seeing is slightly tied to the example above as your next attack/skill after a hit reaction just wouldn't work. The reason that occurred in D2L is that you would act on your client, but the server was still in hit recovery and rejected/ignored the command. D2R has made significant improvements so that if the player now sees what the client has been doing all these years much more accurately. So when you take a hit on the client, and are STILL taking a hit on the server, you'll see the same thing in both places. The logic is still the same as it always has been, but we now have fixed how it is being shown on the client.

I think feedback post launch will be important to see and hear from everyone regarding this. As Rod mentioned, we will continue monitoring feedback post launch but we think getting it in front of more people and for more time will help build a better idea of how it feels with the community.

Sorry for the lengthy post here, but it's a fascinating topic for sure and is tied to many other things as well.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Fire/Cold sorcs can farm hell countess with an A2 follower right?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

th3t00t posted:

Fire/Cold sorcs can farm hell countess with an A2 follower right?
Yes. Nm/hell countess aren't really worth running. Hell countess is kinda worse compared to ancient tunnels/pit/chaos sanc/probably even cows. Norm countess is worth running due to being easy levels and grabbing a quick tal+eth.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Khorne posted:

Yes. Nm/hell countess aren't really worth running. Hell countess is kinda worse compared to ancient tunnels/pit/chaos sanc/probably even cows. Norm countess is worth running due to being easy levels and grabbing a quick tal+eth.
I'd be running countess for Keys. They're likely to be the main form of currency right?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

th3t00t posted:

I'd be running countess for Keys. They're likely to be the main form of currency right?
Ah. Yeah definitely worth running for keys.

I had blinders on because I usually just farm chaos sanc asap and then trade stuff I get there for some terrible torches.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That explanation of NHAM would seem to conflict with the community claim that the bug didn’t exist before patch 1.09

Does it happen for offline characters?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bawfuls posted:

Offline characters still use client:server with different logic on the server than the client.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bawfuls posted:

That explanation of NHAM would seem to conflict with the community claim that the bug didn’t exist before patch 1.09

Yup.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I thought it was possible to play D2 fully offline, without an internet connection at all. I know i played it that way in high school. How does this desync explanation fit with that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

I thought it was possible to play D2 fully offline, without an internet connection at all. I know i played it that way in high school. How does this desync explanation fit with that?

Assuming you give the argument any merit at all, offline single-player still works on a server/client model, just with the client connecting to a server at 127.0.0.1

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

NM countess is definitely worth running because you can get spirit + lore alone, with non ladder runewords enabled I don't see why you'd say she isn't worth it.

Hell countess is almost just for keys but ya. I plan on grinding NM for double spirit + lore for any caster I make.

Edit: also insight for your merc

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

great big cardboard tube posted:

NM countess is definitely worth running because you can get spirit + lore alone, with non ladder runewords enabled I don't see why you'd say she isn't worth it.

Hell countess is almost just for keys but ya. I plan on grinding NM for double spirit + lore for any caster I make.

Edit: also insight for your merc

Since the higher rune drop rate in 1.13, I've gotten nearly all of my Ist and Mal runes from the Countess in Hell. The keys are secondary.