Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh my god I have never been so proud of myself for not getting into any sort of EQ.

Shared XP debt? Why? I mean, why XP debt in general, but definitely why have it be shared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

XP debt was a bit of a softer penalty then XP loss and games were still very much on the "There must be punishment for failure" train back then, though not as bad as old school games, so it just slowed your XP gain until you paid it off but you wouldn't de-level and even if it was mathematically the same as losing XP, it didn't feel as bad. Personally, I'm glad games have moved away from these kinds of penalties, I ain't got time for that poo poo now.

I have no loving clue why they thought shared XP debt was a good idea, though, but IMO even to this day EQ2 is a bunch of questionable-to-bad ideas built on top of each other, on top of a foundation of questionable-to-bad ideas.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hellioning posted:

Oh my god I have never been so proud of myself for not getting into any sort of EQ.

Shared XP debt? Why? I mean, why XP debt in general, but definitely why have it be shared?

That was the compromise since you would no longer be able to lose a level when you died!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
When you die EQ3 asks for your firstborn.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
Give me something brutal with full loot

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
EQ's death penalty was serious, and I can't ever get behind losing levels. I don't think it's really as bad as people remember though, getting resurrected restores the XP loss up to 96% from high levels clerics. You can also leave 1 item on your corpse so it doesn't despawn, keep playing and get a res later to still get that exp back. You can move your corpses around and you can get it somewhere safe to make it easy for the cleric you asked to help.

It mostly encourages cooperation honestly, which is one of the things EQ is good at doing. It does so in a pretty frustrating way, but it's not that bad if you partake in the in-game systems.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I never played EQ, but I did play DAoC which had XP loss on death, but you couldn't lose levels. I typically played with two friends, and call me crazy, but if we did wipe, it was kind of fun trying to fight our way to our gravestones so we could /pray to get some of our lost XP back. Would I want XP penalties in a modern game? No. But it's kind of lame that there is no sense of danger in games anymore. If you bit off more than you could chew in DAoC, you hoped you had enough endurance to try to sprint away or you were done for. Good luck if you use were melee and used most of your endurance on your weapon styles. Nowadays in games you can pretty much just run through mobs at normal run speed without a care because they have such short leashes that they don't pose any threat.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

EQ's death penalty was rough in a few specific cases since you left your gear + inventory on your corpse when you died including keys and summon corpse required you to be in the same zone as the necromancer casting it (and you both had to be in the zone that contains your corpse)

also if your internet went dead during a plane of hate raid for example, you could only enter the zone with a wizard portal and the entrance had mob patrols + was built using the outdoor zone tools so walls didn't block line of sight for figuring out if something aggros you, so minimum force required to get your gear back was a wizard to port, a necromancer to summon your corpse and whatever other people you could muster to keep the shitstorm of mobs at bay if you happened to zone in when mobs were patrolling in the wrong spots

you could generally sneak to a safe spot along the outer walls but the walls were sloped and if you went too high up the slope you'd aggro the second floor. here's a map of the entry floor for the curious (the entrance is in the bottom right and the somewhat-safe spot is labeled "pull spot" on the bottom-ish left):

note there were no in-game maps at this point and i'm not sure p1999 has the entry patrol but it was definitely there on live servers. corpse retrieval in this one particular zone was a gigantic pain

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im pretty sure you could also lose xp in EQ2 by failing crafting and dying. I thought that was not a good... feature. If i remember correctly, you needed a 2nd account to be able to use the auction house because you had to be logged on it to be able to sell your poo poo. Im less sure of that one than the first. I only played one month or so at launch, then some game with a weird loving name called wow came out and that was that.

One of the memories i have on EQ2 live was the bugginess. I made my group wipe because some guy was getting killed by a fish he was wearing like a hat doing a vertical attack animation. He was just running around with his fish hat, dying, and i had to look away from the screen because the air wasnt coming in anymore.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hot date tonight! posted:

EQ's death penalty was serious, and I can't ever get behind losing levels. I don't think it's really as bad as people remember though, getting resurrected restores the XP loss up to 96% from high levels clerics. You can also leave 1 item on your corpse so it doesn't despawn, keep playing and get a res later to still get that exp back. You can move your corpses around and you can get it somewhere safe to make it easy for the cleric you asked to help.

It mostly encourages cooperation honestly, which is one of the things EQ is good at doing. It does so in a pretty frustrating way, but it's not that bad if you partake in the in-game systems.

Yeah, but finding an epic cleric wasn't always easy unless you wanted to be _that guy_ sending random /tells to a 60 cleric 12 zones away.

In the early levels, rezzes are worthless but you can XP pretty fast and just eat the death. At the end, rezzes are essentially required but 96% is everywhere, especially if you're guilded.

In the middle levels, 30-50? it gets weird.. People would wait for ages for a rez, where it was.. maybe worth it? especially in a hell level?
the cleric in the group could most likely only do some garbage 50% poo poo so you'd need to find a 96'er somewhere whose willing to run their rear end through dreadlands or whatever to rez you at KC or whathave you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nah man getting a 90% was super easy idk what you guys are talking about. The sucky part was dying solo and having to get your corpse back to a zoneline

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

hot date tonight! posted:

None of this was explained anywhere in game, and the community was opaque as gently caress. For every person that figured that stuff out, I bet dozens bounced off due to the frustration.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Nah man getting a 90% was super easy idk what you guys are talking about. The sucky part was dying solo and having to get your corpse back to a zoneline

Well it wasn't that easy when the population was bottom heavy early on. I don't think I ever got a rez on live actually.

I just remembered how cool it was when Kunark released and you could /who and see all the new class names as people leveled and tried to figure out which was which. A much better idea than EQ2's "you get your class when you're halfway to max" poo poo that other games have also stupidly done.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 15, 2021

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I always thought Asheron’s Call handled death penalty well. It punished multiple deaths but one wasn’t bad. You’d lose x number of your highest value items each death, based on your level (16 at highest level). So you could carry death items with high value to prevent losing your gear, but they took up space and inventory weight. One death in a hard to reach place was ok if you had death items but multiple deaths meant you start losing gear if you didn’t have more.

You also had an xp penalty that reduced your skills and health by 5% each death. Not a big deal for one death, but multiple meant you had to start casting lower level spells and buffs and go grind off the penalty on weak monsters.

What id give for a world where AC determined the future of MMOs instead of EQ.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

None of this was explained anywhere in game, and the community was opaque as gently caress. For every person that figured that stuff out, I bet dozens bounced off due to the frustration.

If I'm playing and having fun, and there's at least enough people to keep my own server populated, I don't really care who else bounces off of the game. Hope they find something else they enjoy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My favorite part of EQ1 was sitting in the dark elf newbie city, watching people spawn, and they try to type 'hail' and a was auto attack, so if they missed enter, they would attack the first npc and die.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ort posted:

What id give for a world where AC determined the future of MMOs instead of EQ.

Big same

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
so desperate for an mmo to play im about to loving start wow again or some poo poo fuckin end me

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Don't worry, there's "a new kind of MMO" just on the horizon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjmGUukrJw

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sunk Dunk posted:

so desperate for an mmo to play im about to loving start wow again or some poo poo fuckin end me

if ur gonna play wow just do it on a private server so blizzard doesnt get any money

also use a throwaway email and password because everyone who runs those servers is sketchy as hell

edit: or give one of these a try:
project 1999
final fantasy xiv
guild wars 2

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Definitely play Ascension WoW if you’re thinking of playing WoW. It’s a far better experience.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Or Path of Exile. Is Path of Exile an MMO? Will Path of Exile2 be a good MMO? Or ever release?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

LLSix posted:

Or Path of Exile. Is Path of Exile an MMO? Will Path of Exile2 be a good MMO? Or ever release?

Not really. It's like Diablo 3, except you see others players when in town.

I do think it's the best ARPG around, and PoE2 is looking nice.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
remember the diablo 3 realm money market place

haha

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

Don't worry, there's "a new kind of MMO" just on the horizon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjmGUukrJw

Oh drat, it's made by a venture-backed studio of former ubisoft developers, just like the recent hit game Dark Alliance!

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

Depending on the reason your about to login to WoW again, if it's PvP you should check out Return of Reckoning the Warhammer Online private server. There's a PvP event with double xp, this weekend to celebrate the 13th Anniversary of Warhammer Online.

There's nothing whatsoever that would make me checkout WoW again, for me that time has passed. I played a lot of WoW back in the day and it's only gotten worse overtime so there's no need for me to login. Games like DAOC / Warhammer Online and the private servers keeping them alive, those are games I did not spend much time playing (DAOC I was too young, I did play Warhammer beta but game itself died way too fast). But they still offer, in my opinion, the best PvP experience which I what I am looking for first and foremost in the MMO I'm playing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Warhammer Online’s tier 1 PvP is the best, the gold standard, for MMO PvP

And it’s not even really good. It is the best though!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That poo poo was fun. I never even made it to cap.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

jokes posted:

I think Warhammer Online’s tier 1 PvP is the best, the gold standard, for MMO PvP

When LazyPeon did a Warhammer Online Return of Reckoning video last year I forget the time period maybe February or March 2020 but there was hundreds of people in Tier 1 and I had so much loving fun.

I think the game can be really good in Tier 4- City Sieges with premade warband vs premade warband were pretty loving intense at times, but wasn't that enjoyable format for me. Open world warband fights definitely are the poo poo though for me at lvl40. Similar to how 8v8 in DAOC is the best PvP can get in that respect as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaysette posted:

Same I think the highest level I ever got was 21 or so, but I had one of every class near max.

E: max of tier 1 which is/was… 11?

Most fun was perching up on a rock as a naked bright wizard just hurling fireballs at randos, cackling.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 17, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have vague but fond memories of enjoying city defense and lake RvR with my guild in WAR, but also being intensely frustrated at how much my Blackguard sucked compared to its Order equivalent and how that seemed to be a thing across the game.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jokes posted:

Kaysette posted:

Found the bright wizard players. :v:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Zil posted:

Found the bright wizard players. :v:

loving Bright Wizards

Never played one, but I just checked out a guide from Bombling who was easily best BW in game on live & certainly on RoR, and the sheer about of extra poo poo they get over their mirror class Sorc (which I played the most before quitting) is insane. Self-cleanse, AoE silence, free AoE range increasing tactic, shitload of other things. I guess Sorc is supposed to be the better "single target" DD while BW the better AoE bomber, but uhhh that's certainly not how it's ever played out in my opinion, and it continues on Returning of Reckoning.

But yeah they've always been the gods of T1, maybe slightly less so nowadays.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah the mirror stuff wound up being not so great. IIRC Blackguards were supposed to be "anti-magic", I was spec'ed full anti-magic, and Bright Wizards still almost instantly deleted me AND Ironbreakers were better.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Has that server balanced all these classes somewhat? It is fun to read about but sounds like hell to play now.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

shirunei posted:

Has that server balanced all these classes somewhat? It is fun to read about but sounds like hell to play now.

For the most part yes; that's what struck me the most when I picked it up last year, how good the balance was for the most part. But of course there was people bitching about how Knights of the Blazing Sun suck and the devs are terrible people for ruining their favorite ability or something. But back in 2020 I felt the devs did a really good job at balancing stuff, in comparison to the actual Mythic employees.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh poo poo, if they actually tried to balance it, I might have to check it out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah Warham isn't like P1999 where they try to recreate the original game as close as possible they've made a bunch of changes and balance. And seem to be adding trains.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah Warham isn't like P1999 where they try to recreate the original game as close as possible they've made a bunch of changes and balance. And seem to be adding trains.

Trains as in like, rideable trains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The chaos dwarf trains rule