Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also cool stuff like 4.6bn JPY to add doors to womens toilets and showers (which apparently weren't there before) and change mens toilets to womens lol

lol

Antonymous posted:

there are like 10 large parties in China, CCP is just one of them that happens to have a military (yeah the military belongs to the party not the state)

how large? how many offices do they hold - any at the province+ level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
'Sinic' civilization will join hands with Islamic one to fight Western world: CDS Bipin Rawat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mywSKW5_BlM&t=1377s

I am not sure if the "Sinicn Siv collab w/ Muslim Siv" part is from Huntington, Huntington's "prediction" portion is pretty bad in his book.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hinduvata guys own

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

is Iran being in the SCO a big deal? i am not terribly informed so if someone can explain let me know.

yeah i'm not sure either. i think i jumped to the financial aspect because i also saw this recently:

crepeface posted:

i've been busy today, did this get posted yet?

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1438413522942181380?s=20

america sanctioning so many countries they can form their own trading block lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

uhhh... NATO vs SCO!??!

does SCO facilitate economic activity? iran has those crazy 2nd degree of separation sanctions on it, right?

NATO fighting SCO actually make a lot of sense because US see the world and try to control the world in military terms, while China try to interact with the world in economic terms.

However NATO is not the full US capacity, so more like US oversea military vs BRI. SCO is more like "let's get together and chit chat but we will hang a 'anti-terrorist' sign on the door" setup.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1438761360200847367?s=20

uhhh... NATO vs SCO!??!

does SCO facilitate economic activity? iran has those crazy 2nd degree of separation sanctions on it, right?

so if all those countries start trading freely with Iran they become automatically sanctioned by the US? lol nice the USA has sanctioned so many countries they created a trade bloc

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Rutibex posted:

so if all those countries start trading freely with Iran they become automatically sanctioned by the US? lol nice the USA has sanctioned so many countries they created a trade bloc

Everyone should pile into this same deal so the US reverse-sanctions itself

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

uhhh... NATO vs SCO!??!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meng_Wanzhou

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cookie Cutter posted:

Everyone should pile into this same deal so the US reverse-sanctions itself

The whole deal of the US sanction on Iran is that they thought they could use the Iran sanction to put Huawei founder's daughter in US jail for 10 years and use that to strangle China's 5G development.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
god i miss being able to get huawei phones. some of the best phones i ever had.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The whole deal of the US sanction on Iran is that they thought they could use the Iran sanction to put Huawei founder's daughter in US jail for 10 years and use that to strangle China's 5G development.

how would jailing a businesswoman magically make the scientific and technological basis of chinas 5G capabilities disappear

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

crepeface posted:

uhhh... NATO vs SCO!??!

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is not a tight military alliance like NATO (India and Pakistan are both members) nor is a economic integration bloc like the EU or EAEU.

The biggest boon is the further erosion of America's attempt to isolate Iran politically on the international stage.

As Iranian media notes

quote:

But there are obstacles to tapping this great potential in view of the U.S. economic terrorism against Iran, refusal by some SCO members to have extensive economic ties with Iran for fear of secondary U.S. sanctions, Iran's non-accession to the FATF are among the serious obstacles facing Iran in the field of monetary and banking exchanges.

Egypt, Qatar and Saudi Arabia have granted status as dialogue partners too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hot witch divorcee posted:

I used a P40 for almost a year without the google stuff. It was terrible and I switched to a Realme recently. I brought in Huawei in the worst generation. Had I brought 1 year earlier I would have had google store. gently caress Trump.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1438505555392299010

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

how would jailing a businesswoman magically make the scientific and technological basis of chinas 5G capabilities disappear

capitalists poisoned with capitalism brain dont understand how technology is born

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hot witch divorcee posted:

I've found Xiaomi to be a workable alternative. Looking forward to getting one next year with a fancy schmancy 120hz screen

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've found Xiaomi to be a workable alternative. Looking forward to getting one next year with a fancy schmancy 120hz screen

Xiaomi is good but mine crashes pretty often, whereas my Huawei was just absolutely rock solid.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
every android is garbage, im sorry

apple is also garbage.

no phones are good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
except the nexus 5. prince of phones. rip.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface posted:

every android is garbage, im sorry

apple is also garbage.

no phones are good

apple is less garbage than the android

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Can't believe the people itt pushing Chinese phones that spy on you

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Bring back tiny candy bar phones.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yes i agree.

i still have an android because i am willing to trade reliability for customization

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

I mean, if you can find a smartphone that doesn't spy on me, I'm all ears.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bane mask golem posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have a Xiaomi Roomba and when they activate the program I will do my best to help it in any way possible.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mawarannahr posted:

I have a Xiaomi Roomba and when they activate the program I will do my best to help it in any way possible.

i have one too and it works pretty well i guess

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bane mask golem posted:

So's your smartphone!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

i'd rather be spied on by china than the NSA :shrug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Rutibex posted:

i'd rather be spied on by china than the NSA :shrug:

If you have an iphone and use icloud apple is now spying on you too!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

There was a BRICS summit a few days ago, and I wonder what Bolsonaro was thinking when he realized everyone else only had their own country's flag in frame
https://twitter.com/BrianMteleSUR/status/1436358405707403265?s=20

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

brugroffil posted:

"haha yeah," i say as samsung bombards me with pleas to sign up for a samsung account so they can wring every last bit of personal information out of me

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Samsung phones wouldn't spy on you because they're not Chinese, qed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

brugroffil posted:

Samsung phones wouldn't spy on you because they're not Chinese, qed

epic posting my man

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

lol

how large? how many offices do they hold - any at the province+ level?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_China

they basically do not matter - Xi Jinping got unanimously voted in

this wiki page in english told me more about them than I ever heard about while in China

I think they are historical parties that alined with the CCP during the civil war and got allowed to continue to exist as long as they are vaguely subordinate to one party rule

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AnimeIsTrash posted:

epic posting my man

The first post was a joke about Android data collection

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bane mask golem posted:

i wish i had held onto my clamshell from 20 years ago

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Here's the standing comitte's makeup, red is CCP, grey is independent

And here's the national people's congress makeup overall

edit: Xi Jinping got 2980 votes for President of China from the NPC

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Sep 17, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Functionally does everything just flow down from the party anyway with those sorts of majorities? Or do local government bodies have leeway to do their own thing to some extent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

every province and autonomous region has a party secretary at the head, but china is too big to be run from Beijing. So provinces/SARs/Autonomous regions do have autonomy but it's not like the US where there are reserved powers for the states. If beijing gets involved it trumps local policy making.

That's why, for example, COVID was covered up for the first week or two after it was discovered, the leadership of the province that Wuhan is in got scared and hosed up bad, and when Beijing found out they alerted the world and locked stuff down.

but you will find different ideas across different levels of government and in different areas. Here's a famous one that got one guy a little too popular while Xi was establishing power. Bo Xilai had a kind of conservative 'return to leftism' policy that resolnated with people when he was head of Chongqing - and then all his corruption/murders came out and he's in jail forever which helped solidify Xi's way as the only way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing_model

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Sep 17, 2021