Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

edogawa rando posted:

Unironically, that did occur to me, but like, it's TNA, you know?

In typical TNA fashion, I think it actually started off good and then got driven into the ground if my memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

In typical TNA fashion, I think it actually started off good and then got driven into the ground if my memory serves.
Bray’s gonna fit in there so well

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Aces & Eights was run into the ground well before Bully Ray was revealed as their leader:

June 2012: They start doing run-ins and beating up random people
August 2012: They start interfering in matches, including attacking Bully Ray and Jeff Hardy during their PPV match
October 2012: Aces & Eights have their first match, defeating Sting and Bully Ray. One of the leaders of Aces & Eights is revealed to be Devon, who has a vendetta against his "former" brother.
November-December 2013: Bully Ray and other babyfaces continue to feud with Aces & Eights in wild brawls. Aces & Eights exposes that Bully Ray and Brooke Hogan are dating, in an attempt to drive a wedge between babyface commissioner Hulk Hogan and their enemy Bully Ray.
January 2013: Eventually Hulk Hogan approves of the relationship, and Bully Ray is set to marry Brooke Hogan, but Aces & Eights crash the wedding and beat the poo poo out of Bully Ray. Hogan books a six man tables match that ends with Bully Ray putting Devon through a table.
February 2013: The war continues as Bully Ray leads the charges against Aces & Eights even as Eric Bischoff, Taz, Wes Brisco, and other even more forgettable wrestlers are revealed to have been secretly Aces & Eights members all along!
March 2013: Bully Ray abruptly turns heel and reveals that he has been the leader of Aces & Eights from Day One.

And then somehow it continued until November, but Bully Ray was actively feuding with Aces & Eights for slightly over half of their entire run. It was all part of his plan!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

At this point have the Dudleyz spent more time as Team 3-D than as The Dudley Boyz? I mean at the very least they've been Brother Ray and Brother D'von for longer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

At this point have the Dudleyz spent more time as Team 3-D than as The Dudley Boyz? I mean at the very least they've been Brother Ray and Brother D'von for longer.

Bubba started in ECW in '95, D-Von in '96, and they were Dudleys until '05. Plus the 2 years they went back to WWE in 2015-16. So D-Von probably spent slightly longer as D-Von Dudley but Bubba has spent more time as Brother Ray because D-Von hasn't wrestled since 2016.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What was the deal where Bubba had some fan brought to the backstage area to intimidate him a couple years ago?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hiring a biker gang to beat me up over and over again for months, to own the libs

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Hiring a biker gang to beat me up over and over again for months, to own the libs

Aces and Eights?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TheKingslayer posted:

What was the deal where Bubba had some fan brought to the backstage area to intimidate him a couple years ago?
The Allure got legit pissed off at Josh Ketch's (@xIAMHOLLYWOODx on Twitter) heckling, apparently claiming it was lewd and out of bounds. Ray Deadly had him brought to the back and semi-intimidated him before sending him back out. ROH never publicly disciplined him, but he was phased out afterwards.

Josh has always sworn that he didn't cross a line; those who were there with him backed that up, as did people who were familiar with him from DEFY shows locally, his regular trips to LA for PWG, etc. and said that the allegation was completely out of character. There are people who generally aren't full of poo poo who swore up and down that Josh went too far, but nothing that would justify Ray Deadly's ridiculously unprofessional reaction.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This is like IT'S ME AUSTIN when Vince's master plan to "teach Austin a lesson he will never ever forget" involved:

- Austin winning the title from his chosen "corporate champion".

- Him being beaten up over and over again by both Austin and Taker.

- Scarring his own family members, rather than Austin, for life.

- Losing control of the company and its dominant faction on at least two occasions.

- Calling the cops to investigate various threats he instigated against himself, his family, and his neighbours.

And this is why thinking storylines through before writing them is a GOOD thing!

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also, re IT'S ME AUSTIN:

Yes, you revealed yourself to him, and only him, the previous week. He already knows that you are the higher power!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Edit not post

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWF in 1999 it didn’t matter so much if the overarching story didn’t make a lick of sense because each individual angle was so entertaining. That’s also why WWE can’t get away with their lovely storylines now because each part is scripted garbage written in Vincebrain

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember the internet winging a whole lot of far more entertaining ideas for the Higher Power leading up to it. "It's Jake Roberts." "It's Don Callis." "It's Brian Pillman faking his death, you smart marks"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The only good thing the Higher Power angle spawned was JR's reaction to the reveal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Don would probably have pulled it off but it would've needed him to completely distance himself from the Jackal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I remember the internet winging a whole lot of far more entertaining ideas for the Higher Power leading up to it. "It's Jake Roberts." "It's Don Callis." "It's Brian Pillman faking his death, you smart marks"

Evidently the original plan was Chris Daniels, but Vince decided he was too small

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Evidently the original plan was Chris Daniels, but Vince decided he was too small

that was the vampiro higher power in wcw.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The only good thing the Higher Power angle spawned was JR's reaction to the reveal

It was our go-to reaction when something stupid happened while we were still watching.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The best part is that he just sounds irritated rather than faux-outraged at the reveal. It's like his commentary in the Triple H-Booker T match when Lawler keeps bringing up how Booker was in prison once.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

DeathChicken posted:

Was everyone deflated when, the previous week, Vince did a promo where he said "Some people think it's... Jake "the Snake" Roberts", followed by the classic WWF "pause for pop/what chant"? Because that basically telegraphs that, no, it will not be Jake.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The whole Vince-as-Higher-Power-leading-the-Corporate-Ministry thing lasted exactly 2 PPVs after that moment. Contrast that ADD booking with....hey, at least Big E has stopped fighting Apollo Crews

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

STONE COLD 64 posted:

that was the vampiro higher power in wcw.
Christopher Daniels was BOTH higher powers, and also neither.

He was rumored to be The Higher Power of the Corporate Ministry in the summer of 1999, at least according to Internet rumors at the time, but they were just rumors.

Recently on his podcast, Bruce Pritchard said on his podcast that they introduced the idea of the Higher Power with no one in particular in mind, but Vince Russo pushed for Christopher Daniels. Vince McMahon rejected it because Daniels was too small and Undertaker wouldn't take orders from a little guy. Daniels himself says they never contacted him, and he only heard about it years later.

Fast forward a year or so, and Daniels does some try-out matches for WCW and gets told he's hired twice in between booking regime changes and nothing comes of it.One of those times, they wanted to use Daniels as a Higher Power:

quote:

They told me a couple different things. All I knew for certain was that it was supposed to be a play on the relationship between Darth Vader and The Emperor from the Star Wars movies. The idea was that I was going to be The Emperor to Vampiro's Darth Vader. I don't know exactly why it fell apart. I did what they wanted me to do. And then the next time I showed up, they said we weren't doing it.

Imagine if we find out in ten years he really was supposed to be the Exalted One

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they specifically did a whole red herring angle about him being the exalted one for that reason

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
how different would the world of wrestling be if Vince McMahon and his son were like 5'8"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Recently on his podcast, Bruce Pritchard said on his podcast that they introduced the idea of the Higher Power with no one in particular in mind, but Vince Russo pushed for Christopher Daniels. Vince McMahon rejected it because Daniels was too small and Undertaker wouldn't take orders from a little guy. Daniels himself says they never contacted him, and he only heard about it years later.

Compared to the Undertaker taking orders from noted giant Paul Bearer, of course.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

does anyone know why vince russo knew about a good indie wrestler? maybe they had a nice talk about bad movies when daniels worked as a jobber one time

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Christopher Daniels had gone to a try-out camp for WWF not long before this and had worked as a jobber for them in 1998 through early 1999 (including on some Shotgun Saturday Nights which Russo and Pritchard both did commentary on semi-regularly), so it's not like Russo was out scouting talent.

Daniels also claims that Russo had no idea who he was and was part of the group that let him go/canceled his gimmick with Vampiro in 2000, so either Pritchard is scapegoating Russo for an idea Vince McMahon didn't like, or Vince Russo has zero attention span/memory. Either one seems plausible.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 17, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you Christian. When I like your post you're Christian and when i don't like it you're Edge.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wasn’t there a story about how Brock Lesnar got Sable to start dating him by breaking into her home and telling her that she was going to be his woman and he wasn’t taking no for an answer?

I KNOW I’ve heard this story multiple times in the past, but now that I’m trying to google it, I can’t find anything on it. Is this something that actually happened or am I going crazy?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i believe that was posted in the old 'wrestling dreams' thread, as a dream someone'd had.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is sort of non brand specific, so I am going to post it here.

How the hell do people get front row tickets to WWE or AEW wrestling events at normal prices? I've always wanted to get a front row seat, but I'm not paying $2,000 to do it when I can sit 5 rows back for $100.

Like is there a trick... do they only sell them during the presale? Do they only sell them on the general sale date?

Because I always feel like I am in this situation where I buy SOMETHING decently good on the presale date, and then wonder if something better will come up later on during the general sale.

I was trying to to get tickets to the Dynamite in Chicago today and yesterday. I didn't see any front row tickets on sale at all the first day, and the second day all I saw were the Ticketmaster "verified platinum" bullshit that was 2K per seat. Today I was #8 in the queue and got in right away, and there were about a half dozen tickets around the ring, all verified platinum and obscenely expensive.

I don't know... I feel like in my market I'll never be able to do it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What's Tomko's deal?

For context I stopped watching wrestling after WCW imploded and didn't really start watching again until CM punk's championship reign in WWE.

Catching up on old matches that are essential viewing and he sticks out like a sore thumb - I've heard about or recognize pretty much everyone else except for him. He's got a great look and he's been involved in several of the top storylines across promotions.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Just a Dude really, who happened to catch on as Christian's manager. He was pretty good at playing straight man to Christian's silliness

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My friend used him as shorthand for big, angry, tattooed guys. Like, "I beat Tyson Tomko to a parking spot and he threatened to kick my rear end over it."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Astro7x posted:

This is sort of non brand specific, so I am going to post it here.

How the hell do people get front row tickets to WWE or AEW wrestling events at normal prices? I've always wanted to get a front row seat, but I'm not paying $2,000 to do it when I can sit 5 rows back for $100.

Like is there a trick... do they only sell them during the presale? Do they only sell them on the general sale date?

Because I always feel like I am in this situation where I buy SOMETHING decently good on the presale date, and then wonder if something better will come up later on during the general sale.

I was trying to to get tickets to the Dynamite in Chicago today and yesterday. I didn't see any front row tickets on sale at all the first day, and the second day all I saw were the Ticketmaster "verified platinum" bullshit that was 2K per seat. Today I was #8 in the queue and got in right away, and there were about a half dozen tickets around the ring, all verified platinum and obscenely expensive.

I don't know... I feel like in my market I'll never be able to do it.

I am not sure how they get them but some of these people spend an obscene amount of money. I saw an interview with one superfan (I think it was Brock Lesnar fan) a few years back and he admitted he was making out credit cards to go.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeathChicken posted:

Just a Dude really, who happened to catch on as Christian's manager. He was pretty good at playing straight man to Christian's silliness

He was in WWE, went to TNA, then was signed back to WWE, but didn't disclose that he had an injury when signed, so he was "out of shape" when he had his return dark match, so they fired him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I used to get front row seats for WWF shows in the 90s because a relative was dating someone in the box office. Not sure if that's still possible, but it seemed like the only way was to know someone.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah the only time two times I've sat front row at a WWE show is because a friend was friends with the local promoter that had free tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone seems to be speaking like everyone knows where Rush and Dragon Lee are going once their contracts are up.

Do we actually know? Or if they win at Final Battle are we assuming that they're staying with ROH.